• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cheapest trip without feeling like it is

I found why price checking the disney springs are not that a lot cheaper than a value... Where we found we would save money is when we need two rooms or a suite.. Disney options for 5+ are expensive and there off-site made sense.. the Holiday Inn I checked was about 130 a night.. and a value not that far off, and here you get airport transfer and disney tranport and parking paid for..

for me going cheap but keeping that Disney bubble feeling would be staying at a value. check online or RO offers and you can get a room for just above 100.00.... no in Orlando transport costs... Eat breakfast in the room,, bring dry goods and/or order food online.
Lots of QS are huge ex peco bills, two can share the fajita platter and get some sides....

Also to save costs on tix... skip the arrival day/departure day.... you can add Disney Springs in there, that has no "cost" but be careful not to spend your savings!!! You can also on a non-park day take the boat from DS to PoR Riverside and check out that resort and eat there.. The pasta bowls are HUGE and you can share and get sides here. Or Do a monorail tour one day.. pool at resort, monorail and snack/lunch those quick service, time it so that you see fireworks or the lake water show thing.. Also take the boat from MK to Fort Wilderness.. or wilderness lodge..

If you want a good deal on a TS .. take the boat to Trail's End..at Fort Wilderness... buffett dinner here about 33.00 still a lot but cheaper than 55.00 for all others.. food is home style and good.. so to save park days ( money).. arrival day.. check out resort, pool, Disney springs at night.
one or two day parks, then a break,, Disney springs day and boat trip. lunch.. resort,, or MK monortail tour, bay lake boat rides and Trails end... for a week you could do 4 park days and 3 off.. but the cost per day is lower as you add days...

I don't mind economizing in order to make a Disney trip happen. The week before Easter DH and I went to WDW to see DD play in a high school softball tournament. DD stayed onsite with her team (her package price was only $400 due to fundraising!). We decided not to pay for the team parent Disney package at Pop with quick service dining plan for DH and me - too expensive! Instead we drove our car down and stayed off site at a beautiful 1 bedroom condo (Vacation Village at Parkway - $430/week and close enough to see the ESPN fields from the balcony), used $525 in Disney gift cards (purchased at Kroger with 4x fuel points) and $137 in Disney rewards dollars for dining, and used 3 days on our 10 day no expire hoppers with WP fun & more.

We did 3 table service ADRs (Boathouse on our DS day, Tusker House breakfast ROL pkg, Sci Fi for appetizers and milkshakes) and a lunch ADR at BOG. We had drinks with the other parents at Pop's Petals pool bar, and at the House of Blues outdoor patio, complete with live music! On our Epcot day we spent $100 as we ate and drank our way around the World Showcase at the Flower & Garden food kiosks. We ate 3 breakfasts in the room and brought our own snacks to DD's games. All other meals were QS at the parks or WDW resorts.

Our 6 day trip only cost us $1400 total including transportation/gas money, food, lodging, tickets, parking and ESPN entrance fees. It truly was a budget trip, but it certainly didn't feel like it!

Last edited:
DH and I went for 7 days/6 nites a year ago (January during value time). We flew down in Southwest,stayed Value, used mass transit, and used the counter service meal plan. My husband and I are seniors, but still very active, but we found sharing many meals was totally doable. Our total trip, including tips, was $2500. I might suggest that you contact a good travel agent to help you OR/AND contact Disney directly and give them your specs.

At no time did we feel "cheap". We ate BBQ (Flame tree), Asian (Japan), Lamb (Morroco), French (BOG), and shared lovely breakfasts along the way. We had INCREDIBLE desserts as well. We did buy a few "drinks out of pocket" such as the wine tour in Epcot ( we shared because we just wanted to try it all).

We have come to realize that trips are what YOU make it, not what someone else does. Just go and enjoy!

I stay in WDW value resorts and never feel like I've cheaped out. I receive all the key amenities that guests in deluxe & mod resorts do in terms of bus transpo, early ADR & FP+ selection & magical express. The resort I sleep in may not be as gorgeous as other resorts but I don't see the point in paying for aesthetic upgrades that I just don't fully enjoy since I'm rarely at my resort property except to sleep. I would now deeply regret paying thousands more for pretty resort theming. I fully enjoy all the goodies that deluxe & mod resorts offer including riding the monorail, boats & eating in their restaurants and drinking at their bars. All of those perks are available to any paying customer. Blow out WDW vacations are likely a thing of the past for many guests. Choosing where and how you wish to invest your hard earned dollars is key.

I second many of the tips offered by previous posters:
Great value restaurants OOP: Trails End, Beaches & Cream, Restaurant Marrakesh (lunch), Tangierine Cafe (split entrees), Pecos Bill (split the fajitas & visit the huge toppings bar).
Fun & Fairly Priced Extras: Epcot's Wine Walk, Epcot's Behind the Seeds tour, Winter Summerland Mini Golf (in the past few years, free coupons have been included in the Magic Your Way Pkg booklet. If you get your room number by text, be sure to stop by front desk to pick up your booklet if it isn't in your room.)

I realize that value is different for everybody. I hope Ive communicated what I'm looking for, and by all the responses, I have. You guys have some great tips! DBF likes the idea of the DDP. The one and only time I went, in 2007, we did have the DDP, the one with the quick service and table service. I enjoyed the thought of prepaid everything but because days vary, and we both ended up sick for a day, we left A LOT of meals and therefore money, on the table. I just listened to the DUT Podcast about the DDP, they gave good ideas about buying gift cards for that. Are the restaurants now limiting what you can order with DDP or is that just during the free dining frenzy?

I think we will end up on property. I've priced out several different hotels off property, and by the time you add in everything extra (rental car, parking, etc) it ends up close or equal too staying on property. What are the crowds like during March? Last time I went was the beginning of February, and the weather was PERFECT!! I know now, I guess there isn't really a low/no crowd season. In Feb 2007, I walked on everything at every park! I'm not expecting that anymore, but Id rather not be shoulder to shoulder attempting to walk down Main Street.

When my fiancé and I went together for the first time in May 2015 we were able to do it for just around $2,000. We drove from Chicago and stayed on property Monday-Friday. We were able to get a LM AOA room for a great price, 5 day PH tickets, and payed for food OOP.

As much as I love road trips, we live in Oregon, that would be a BIT too far to drive LOL.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question but it is budget related. So DBF and I want to go to WDW without breaking the bank. Has anyone done a trip to WDW without breaking the bank? My one and only time was in 2007 and I paid $2700 just for me. That is not possible now. We know we can do it but its a little daunting. Where did you stay? Did you rent a car? Is there a bus system that's good to use to use instread of paying for parking?

TIA
I did not read through all the responses so I apologize if this is repetitive. It's definitely possible and kind of fun, too.
  • We stay at Ft. Wilderness, in a tent. Mostly because we're locals and I've been going since 1972, but it's also super fun and a way to prepare your own food and not have to eat out for every meal.
  • We use APs, but depending on your length of stay, it's possible to save a little $$ on park tickets by not hopping or maybe skipping a day or two to go resort hopping, Disney Springs, mini golf, etc and still have Disney magic and shopping without the rides
  • Bringing your own food and drinks. Disney has a pretty liberal policy on your own food and while they have cut way back on convenient places to unpack your small cooler, it's easy to find tables at outdoor restaurants when they're slow. Making your own rice crispy treats (even in the shape of Mickeys head, trail mix, peanuts, popcorn, lolliops...all easy to bring snacks. And for drinks, w start with an ice cold water bottle and bring in some of those small, individual Crystal Lights or the like. We just fill the bottle throughout the day and flavor accordingly.
  • Make your own ears (easy to find directions for even the most novice crafter)
  • Bring your own glow necklaces, ponchos, handheld misting fans, blinky rings or any other fun stuff you're tempted to grab when on site. Much less expensive to get before you get there and you won't be left out of any of the fun, just the overpaying.
  • If you need/want to grab souvenirs, go to an offsite Character Warehouse or even a Walgreens. You honestly can't find even a grocery store down here that doesn't sell Disney merch.
  • Last, don't think of it as going on the cheap. I assure you, that's not how those going with you will feel. We never had $$ growing up and I never once felt deprived when we would just go stay at the Fort and not even go in the parks. Frankly, the monorail was my favorite ride anyway :D

Disneyworld is awesome, but because you live in Oregon - your money would go a lot further if you went to Disneyland and California Adventure.

The flights and hotel could be significantly less, and you would still have an awesome time.

Your travel time would be a lot less too, so you could spend more time in the Parks.

There are lots of decent affordable hotels within walking distance of Disneyland. (on

Food could be manageable too, there is a McDonalds and Panera right there and Target and supermarkets are nearby.

Something to consider....have a great trip!

I was wondering the same thing. And OP, you could drive.

OP, why specifically March? You're picking a more expensive time to go (airfare and hotels are more expensive). March and April are spring break. We've gone in May many times. Better airfare, hotel prices and the weather is absolutely perfect!

I just listened to the DUT Podcast about the DDP, they gave good ideas about buying gift cards for that. Are the restaurants now limiting what you can order with DDP or is that just during the free dining frenzy?
Here is a link to the Gift Cards thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-gift-card-deals.2941964/page-1299#post-57458033 . It's not as easy as it used to be to save $$ but it's still possible. If you're not going until March, I would save up cash and wait until December when Target has their big gift card sale. Last year it was on 12/4 and they gave 10% off on Target gift cards that were not activated until the next day.

* I bought $1000 from my local Hy-Vee grocery store that gives "fuel perks", or gasoline discounts. I used my AMEX Blue Preferred card and got 6% back, so the $1000 cost me $940. I got another $2.00 off per gallon, which came out to about $20 of free gas for my Prius. So, I "paid" $920 for my initial $1000 in Target gift cards.

* On 12/4 (when gift cards were 10% off) I took that $1000 worth of Hy-Vee Target gift cards to Target and they purchased $1112 worth of special 10% off Target gift cards.

* In all, I paid $920 for $1112 worth of gift cards. My total savings was $192 per $1000 or 17%.

OF COURSE, Target can and does change their gift card promos so it may not be the same next December.

I think we will end up on property. I've priced out several different hotels off property, and by the time you add in everything extra (rental car, parking, etc) it ends up close or equal too staying on property. What are the crowds like during March? Last time I went was the beginning of February, and the weather was PERFECT!! I know now, I guess there isn't really a low/no crowd season. In Feb 2007, I walked on everything at every park! I'm not expecting that anymore, but Id rather not be shoulder to shoulder attempting to walk down Main Street.

Yes, staying offsite does have additional costs and often makes staying in a Value is just about the same. We do stay offsite but only when I get great kick-butt deals. I've paid $216 for a 1 bedroom timeshare, $416 for a 2 bedroom condo and $800 for a 4-bedroom pool home ... all for 1 week including taxes and fees. In that case, even if I added the cost of the car it's still less than onsite.

I was wondering the same thing. And OP, you could drive.

True, we are much closer to Disneyland, but we'd like to experience WDW. I've only been there once, and the person I went with was not good company, to put it politely. DBF has never been, and is a HUGE Star Wars fan, he's always wanted to go.

OP, why specifically March? You're picking a more expensive time to go (airfare and hotels are more expensive). March and April are spring break. We've gone in May many times. Better airfare, hotel prices and the weather is absolutely perfect!

March is our anniversary. We'd like to be there for that, but it's not the only time we want to go. Just putting out feelers for times of year to go where we wont be crushed by crowds, heat & humidity.

True, we are much closer to Disneyland, but we'd like to experience WDW. I've only been there once, and the person I went with was not good company, to put it politely. DBF has never been, and is a HUGE Star Wars fan, he's always wanted to go.

March is our anniversary. We'd like to be there for that, but it's not the only time we want to go. Just putting out feelers for times of year to go where we wont be crushed by crowds, heat & humidity.

There aren't too many times like that any more! You should go in March and get the most out of your trip!
Get a value room or better if you can save up the money. The parks will be enough if you stay for a week.
Do your first day at Magic Kingdom.

Flower and Garden Festival starts in early March and adds a special something to Epcot. By the time you go, there will be more new stuff to see at the parks. If money is too tight skip the hopper option, but if you can swing it, it's nice to make Epcot your 'evening' park on a couple of nights for dinner and Illuminations, and dinner can be booths, or counter service at Epcot - doesn't have to be sit down or terribly expensive.

Skip the dining plans - they just tie you down and make you eat in a certain way. Do get some discounted Disney gift cards and use those for meals.

You can try for semi free flights through Southwest by doing the credit card thing....but that's not always for everyone.

Get a case of water for your room and carry a bottle into the parks...$3 a bottle in the parks now - ouch!
Room, flights tickets and food - what you need if you stay in the Disney bubble.

Watch for a room only discount - they do happen sometimes.
Flights - credit card rewards.
Tickets - undercover tourist using the Mousesavers link for an extra dollar off......buy your tickets as early as possible to avoid increased prices. You can add hopper at Disney later if you want it. Watch for the 'special' - 7 days may be cheaper than six or whatever might be happening when you buy.
Food - a way to cut costs on your whole trip - people on here have loads of tips. Bring breakfast and snack items, order stuff from a grocery service, keep drinks in your room, but eat what you want.
Shared food, such as a pizza from the food court for dinner can be a budget stretcher that lets you plan a sit down dinner on another night.

Go and have a great time according to what your budget allows!

I really agree with others who say don't do any dining plan. We had it once (free dining), and it was just too much food. I'd never pay for it, too much waste. We often like to share lunches at a counter service place, then share a few snacks as we're walking around.

Do you have a Disney Visa? I put every single thing I can on mine (utilities, food, gas, etc), and I earn a ton of rewards (that are used just like money at any Disney store, hotel, restaurant, etc). If you get a Disney Visa now and use it for a year, your rewards should easily be enough for your food. That's assuming you'll pay it off in full every month. Don't use it like a credit card that you don't pay off in full every month. But for things like I mentioned (food, gas and utilities) that you pay in full for, run them through the Disney Visa instead of paying cash or by check to get the rewards.

I did not read through all the responses so I apologize if this is repetitive. It's definitely possible and kind of fun, too.
  • Last, don't think of it as going on the cheap. I assure you, that's not how those going with you will feel. We never had $$ growing up and I never once felt deprived when we would just go stay at the Fort and not even go in the parks. Frankly, the monorail was my favorite ride anyway :D

One of our Disney trips when the kids were little... we drove (from NY), stayed overnight at a hotel. After we were back home, my 4yo son claimed his favorite ride of the whole trip was the "luggage cart ride" at the Hampton Inn on the way down. :rotfl:

Traveling with my adult DS this Fall...

I plan to take plastic plates, bowls and sets of silverware. We will stop at a store and get fruit, granola bars, cereal, milk, salad greens, bread, peanut butter, etc. Also considering bringing a hot pot so we can make rice, mac and cheese, hard boiled eggs, soup and that kind of thing to definitely save on the food budget.

This way we will only buy breakfast a couple days and a late day light lunch/snack on park days. I am only making one ADR for during our 8 day trip. Remainder dinners will be stuff we make in our room, stuff we get at the food court (POR) or stuff we buy offsite. Taco Bell, Perkins, Pizza places, etc. are all not very far away.

The day that we are not going to a park will include a sit down breakfast at the food court (make your own omelet sounds good) and the ADR at Trails End.

Research discounts on rental cars.... I am getting an AARP one. You also get a discount if you pay online right away rather than waiting to pay at the counter upon car pickup.

We won't feel like we are doing it cheap since we will be eating similar stuff to what we have at home... we don't go out to eat much at all and when we do it is casual dining!

3. If staying on site (or buying tickets through Disney) use Disney gift cards. You'll get a discount at certain bulk stores (BJs.com has $100 for $95 and you can get free club trials). You can also use credit card rewards - I always use my 2% cash back card but discover will sometimes have 5%. Also, I load the gift cards into the Disney Vacation Account for an extra 2% in Disney gift cards back.

I also got gift cards through target for the room plus our APs during their 10% off sale, so ~15% should be subtracted for the discount, cash back, and DVA rewards.

I'm super curious about this. I looked at https://disneyvacationaccount.disney.go.com/vacation-account-benefits/ and it only had benefits listed prior to 2016. Do you have more recent/accurate info? If there was incentive to put money in there I'd do it, but there doesn't appear to be an incentive at this time.

Additionally, BJ's sells gift cards 147.99 ($148 guys, c'mon) for $150 worth of gift cards. The savings there are pretty minimal, but it appears to vary based on the card you buy.

For example:

If you bought six $150 gift cards to total $900 you'd be paying $887.94
Alternatively, there's a $100 gift card listed for 94.99 (again with the .99's!), so if you bought nine of those for $900 you'd be spending $854.91. Now that's more of a deal.

When does Disney do a sale on Annual Passes? I doubt it would be cost effective for us, but I'm curious.

I'm super curious about this. I looked at https://disneyvacationaccount.disney.go.com/vacation-account-benefits/ and it only had benefits listed prior to 2016. Do you have more recent/accurate info? If there was incentive to put money in there I'd do it, but there doesn't appear to be an incentive at this time.

Additionally, BJ's sells gift cards 147.99 ($148 guys, c'mon) for $150 worth of gift cards. The savings there are pretty minimal, but it appears to vary based on the card you buy.

For example:

If you bought six $150 gift cards to total $900 you'd be paying $887.94
Alternatively, there's a $100 gift card listed for 94.99 (again with the .99's!), so if you bought nine of those for $900 you'd be spending $854.91. Now that's more of a deal.

When does Disney do a sale on Annual Passes? I doubt it would be cost effective for us, but I'm curious.

I haven't checked lately, but it's always been $20 for every $1000 spent.

Don't buy the $150 GCs - the $100 GCs are $95, so a 5% savings.

In general I try to spend as little as possible on everything so I can splurge on some things. We always drive to Orlando since we're only 8 hours away so gas only and no need for rental car. We use gift cards as much as possible for restaurants and stay a condo with a kitchen so we can prepare food there. We own the condo so it only costs $75 for cleaning no matter how many days we stay but obviously that's not a good option for someone that doesn't go to Orlando much.

My best trip planning was an European vacation I took with my Mother-in-law about two years ago. I spent almost two years planning but we saw so many things, ate great food, and saved a lot of money. We spent 4 nights in Rome at a B&B two blocks from the Colosseum, train to Venice for two nights in a B&B in the center of the city (best food ever), flew to Paris for three nights two blocks from the Eiffel Tower. We ate mainly at local places that had cheap wine by the liter. I've never eaten so much pasta carbonara in my life. We went to the Colosseum tour, Vatican Museums tour, a ton of beautiful churches, Doge's Palace tour, top of the Eiffel Tour (we were literally the first elevator up and only about ten of us), the Louvre (only about 30 people in the room with the Mona Lisa), and Museum D'Orsay. We stayed in the same room with twin beds. Our total for each person was only about $2500 for the entire trip including our airfare to/from Charlotte. Please feel free to message me if you are planning a similar trip want any specifics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter