Cheapest trip without feeling like it is

I'm a big fan of staying off-site. Having said that, we are usually a part of 6-10 so for us its a big savings. The best thing to do is to run the numbers. If there's only two of us, we have always ended up staying on-site in one of the value rooms. By the time I add in the cost of the off-site hotel, car rental, gas and parking it has come out about the same. (I won't stay in a budget hotel off-site. We tend to stay at Hilton, Marriot, Sheraton, Doubletree, etc.).

As others have pointed out the cost of your tickets is a fixed cost. Since there is now tiered pricing I would check the calendar and go during one of the value times.

Where I've found we can save is on food. I pack a soft-sided cooler in my luggage and zip lock baggies to fill with ice. We eat breakfast in the room every day. I don't take ME from the airport to the resort, but do a one way car rental and make a grocery stop. We get cereal, yogurt, fruit, milk, granola bars, water, snacks, etc. When we leave for the parks we carry our own snacks (granola bars, fruit, nuts, trail mix, etc.) and water. If you like you can get the flavor packets and refill your water bottles at any restaurant/fountain and add the powdered packets. We tend to be light eaters and will split meals. We'll eat a good breakfast, eat our snacks in the park and have an early dinner (usually QS around 4pm) and then maybe another snack later in the evening. If you tend to be heavier eaters this probably won't work for you. We've also gone to TS on off times and had soup/salad or appetizer/salad and not a full meal.

We're pretty open about where to stay
I would say definitely price out the option to rent DVC (disney Vacation club) points -- some of the cheapest points times to go are right after thanksgiving/early December. If you check out davids dvc rental it gives you the price for various times of the year. the first week of December for 6 nights at OKW studio would be $945 (so about $158 per night) not bad for staying at a deluxe hotel (it has a little kitchenette so you could make easy breakfast in your room. The down side is that it is a very demanding time of year so would have to be booked 8-10 months in advance.

I priced out the same exact time at the value resorts and they ranged between ($103-120 with tax for 6 nights the cheapest room is just over $700).

And just to add to this time of year -- all the parks and resorts are decorated for the holidays -- that alone makes it worth going in december -- you could also consider this your christmas gift to each other and save a little more by not having to buy gifts for the holidays.

It is cheaper staying off site, but then you have to consider you will need to rent a car and then pay for parking so that cuts into your savings of staying off site.

IMO - It is a much better experience to stay on property -- you get FP 60 days out vs 30 days off property. And the transportation from the airport to/from and between resorts and parks is wonderful. If you can maximize your days just buy tickets for 4 days (one day at each park) although once you start adding on days the price per day gets cheaper. You could plan just one nice meal and the rest can be quick service, which there are many great quick service restaurants so it isn't like you would be slumming it.

Probably around $2000-$3000
just noticed your budget -- it could work to get the
4 day ticket for the two of you =~$700
6 night stay at OKW on rented points = $945 (Less if you choose a value resort)
That leaves $1355 for flights and food -- it is doable for $3000.

Last edited:
I would do 1 Bedroom at Bonnet Creek. 2 nice TS meals and offsite nice restaurants other nights. You could easily be under the $1500 leftover in TwoMisfits amount above.

I would do 1 Bedroom at Bonnet Creek. 2 nice TS meals and offsite nice restaurants other nights. You could easily be under the $1500 leftover in TwoMisfits amount above.

I'm not familiar with Bonnet Creek. When i googled it, 2 different ones came up. Wyndham Bonnet Creek and Hilton Bonnet Creek both in Orlando. Which one is it?

Wyndham Bonnet creek and you want timeshare not the hotel. It is right next to Caribbean beach resort. Beautiful and anywhere from $80-125 a night for a one or two bedroom. There is no resort fees but you will need a car or plan to use Uber as the shuttle is pricy.

One other travel agent I've used has "magical deals" that can give you a 10-20% higher discount on hotels than Disney, but I won't go into specifics here. You might need to google that.

I've recently booked a pretty magical deal through a travel agent and am now looking into my ticket options. I'm planning to upgrade to AP onsite this August, but it turns out my "magical" tickets from this agent are actually convention tickets that cannot be upgraded to AP. Do you know if it is possible to do a room-only travel agent reservation and then add your own ParkSavers discounted tickets in my disney experience dashboard online? My agent would prefer that I purchase my tickets through her, but then I am forced to either pay Disney gate prices or otherwise purchase non-upgradeable convention tickets.

I've recently booked a pretty magical deal through a travel agent and am now looking into my ticket options. I'm planning to upgrade to AP onsite this August, but it turns out my "magical" tickets from this agent are actually convention tickets that cannot be upgraded to AP. Do you know if it is possible to do a room-only travel agent reservation and then add your own ParkSavers discounted tickets in my disney experience dashboard online? My agent would prefer that I purchase my tickets through her, but then I am forced to either pay Disney gate prices or otherwise purchase non-upgradeable convention tickets.

That should work just fine!

A lot of good things people have mention so I will try not to repeat them.

Put some granola bars in your suitcase for breakfast.

If you feel like you need a table service meal go at lunch it's cheaper. Epcot has a lot of good reasonable lunch areas. Not much more than you will pay for quick service. Moraco, china

Not many but some quick service places have you fill your own drink. Meaning you only buy one soda and you share. Fill it up as many times as you like no need to buy 2. Backlot express is one of them that's at Hollywood studios.forget the rest been over 2 years since I been.

At Epcot there's a free international drink station. If you feel like a soda.
Just little samples of some drinks around the world. Some good some nasty imo. But no need to buy a soda at Epcot if you are around that area.

At magic kingdom there's a place that you fill your taco salad up. Minus the meat. Load it up good value for magic kingdom. Again load it up don't be shy.

These two things are technically stealing. Sharing a soda and getting endless refills instead of buying 2 sodas, and filling up on fixings intended for a meal you never bought, are sad ways to save money. I'm all for saving a few bucks, but not like that.

Why not bring in your own water and cokes? Ask for a free cup of ice at a QS location and you're all set.

These two things are technically stealing. Sharing a soda and getting endless refills instead of buying 2 sodas, and filling up on fixings intended for a meal you never bought, are sad ways to save money. I'm all for saving a few bucks, but not like that.

Why not bring in your own water and cokes? Ask for a free cup of ice at a QS location and you're all set.

I do always buy the meal. Where does it say I don't buy the meal?

I saw you mentioned September - it is super hot in September. We usually travel in late Oct but our last trip to WDW we went in late Sept/early Oct to take advantage of free dining. It was great but the heat was insane! We had personal fans, wet face cloths, frozen water bottles and we were still incredibly uncomfortable. I get cranky in the heat ;)

Out go-to resort is Pop, love it. We did stay at AoA once (Little Mermaid section) and it was nice - loved the Nemo pool - but those rooms book fast and are a little more than Pop or AS.

We are not breakfast people but do pack Pop Tarts and some snacks for the room. To make our food budget I went to Allears.net and looked at the menus, figured out where we would like to go and what we might order. Then add a snack each per day (churros, Dole Whip). We do a CS and a TS per day.

Like I said we are not breakfast people except we do make a trip to the Poly for Tonga Toast at Capt. Hook's (cheaper than Kona)
We like Be Our Guest at lunch - cheaper but still get to eat inside the castle.
Via Napoli has great pizzas that can be shared for a cheaper TS. Epcot has some great CS as well.
Sci-Fi is one of our go-to TS, not as expensive as other TS and love the atmosphere.
Yak & Yeti has huge portions. They are also part of Landry's, which has a club that gives you $25 for your birthday (you pay $25 to sign up but then give you a $25 credit so it is free).
I also do reward sites that pay out in Landry's and Starbucks gift cards (as well as Southwest, Paypal and a many other places).

When you book your resort check Orbitz (as someone mentioned before), they have the discounted price if Disney is running a promo, plus you can add a code (Orbitz always has a code!). And if you go through Ebates you can get some money back. Undercover Tourist for tickets - buy them early in the year if possible to avoid price hikes (prices usually go up in Feb). If we get to WDW early on arrival day (before 2PM)we get tickets for that day - the price to add a day after 4 is so small even spending a couple of hours is worth it - if it is a late arrival we just go to DtD for a nice dinner. For our departure day we don't add a day unless our flight is after 6PM. On departure day we go to DtD for last minute shopping/lunch.

Be aware Orbitz is adding an "extra guest fee" for the value resorts! wrote to customer service about this as I am seriously upset by this fee (Platinum level at Orbitz). It isn't showing up on moderate and above (yet), nor at non Disney hotels that I have found (again-yet). I use Orbitz alot as my DH travels across the state and sometimes needs a room for a night (rack up rewards pretty quick and there is usually a discount code)

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question but it is budget related. So DBF and I want to go to WDW without breaking the bank. Has anyone done a trip to WDW without breaking the bank? My one and only time was in 2007 and I paid $2700 just for me. That is not possible now. We know we can do it but its a little daunting. Where did you stay? Did you rent a car? Is there a bus system that's good to use to use instread of paying for parking?

TIA
Our last trip cost about that much and that was for 4 of us, 5 days in parks, plus a day at Universal for 2 of us. We went during free dining. We drive since we are 8 hours away, so no rental car or airfare. We stayed at All Star Music. Never felt like a budget trip even though it was.

I suggest applying for a Southwest credit card and making sure you get those 50,000 (although sometimes it's only 40000) rapid rewards points by hitting the spending requirement within the required time and paying off the balance in full each month (so no interest charges). THEN start stalking the southwest site so you know when the booking window opens for your travel dates and book on the first day it opens, as early as possible, to get the best airfare "price" (because you'll be booking on points). On Southwest you can book each direction separately, so you can book as many legs as possible on your points. (For example, both of you could travel on points TO Orlando and then one on points home and one for cash home, if you don't have enough points for 2 roundtrip tickets- the cost is the same whether you book your flights as 2 one-ways or one round trip each).

Check the cost of hotel rooms on Orbitz, when they are running a sale. You can usually add their sale code to the price of the Disney room to bring down the cost by about 15% (that's the current sale). However... you need to look at the offsite hotel cost and include a rental car and parking to do an actual cost comparison (see below). Always remember to also look at the benefits of being in an onsite vs. offsite hotel. Oftentimes we find it's worth the cost of a rental car and parking to be in a bigger, nicer, free-breakfast offsite hotel than a small Disney Value (with 2 double beds). DOn't get me wrong, if the money is right we choose ASMusic, but I DO hate using the Disney bus system (and don't love being tied into Disney 24/7 for meals, souvenirs, etc.)

I like Kayak for finding prices on airfare (although Southwest doesn't list on Kayak). It's easy to play around with your dates to see when they find the cheapest airfare for your itinerary. Of course, this is moot if you have "free" airfare on Southwest.

Best car rental site is carrentalsavers.com. I am always shocked when people say they spend $300 a week for a rental car in Orlando. I've never spent more than $140, taxes included. Car rental prices fluctuate faster than you can blink, so book a rate you can live with and then KEEP CHECKING... daily, multiple times daily, whenever you have the opportunity. DO NOT BOOK A CAR that requires a credit card for booking. Basically none of the rental companies require this- if they do, look elsewhere, look elsewhere. When you find a cheaper rate, book it and then cancel the previous rate. You won't need a big vehicle- you just need to get to and from the airport and theme parks. Also, don't do an advance purchase car rental. They rarely end up being cheaper. Just keep booking and looking... ALSO... check your car insurance policy and your credit card agreements. Usually there is NO NEED to take the insurance that the car rental company tries to scare you into purchasing. If you have any kind of loan for your vehicle, you more than likely have the coverage on your own insurance policy, and most credit cards provide car rental insurance as a benefit.

As people have said, you can bring your own breakfast foods and water bottles in a checked suitcase. The water at Disney is abysmal, so I usually just pack my brita pitcher (and filter the water in the hotel room) and a couple of empty water bottles- much easier than trying to pack bottled water. Remember that most airlines (not southwest) charge you to check a suitcase, so that's another cost if you are packing food to bring with you. Garden Grocer is an option, but their prices are high and there's that delivery cost... it all adds up. We usually bring breakfast food and snacks as we fly southwest and can each have 2 checked suitcases for FREE!! (and a carry-on and a personal item each, too!)

Sign up for the Mousesavers newsletter. You'll get access to a "bigger" discount on tickets through Undercover Tourist than if you just go to UT's site. However, it's not a very big discount. Disney tickets usually don't get discounted very much. I have gotten better deals through my union, but not everyone has that ability. Check LOTS of online ticket sites and see what kind of sales they are running. We usually don't get tickets for arrival or departure day, as there are many "free" things to do at WDW. You can ride the boats, buses, monorails. Go to Disney Springs or the Disney Boardwalk. See the MK fireworks from the Contemporary, Polynesian, or Grand Floridian. Watch the Electrical Water Pageant from these locations. Explore the different resorts. Use the monorail and lounge hop at the 3 monorail resorts. Go to the Atlantic Dance Hall or Jelly Rolls. On check-out day if our flight is in the afternoon, we'll have brunch at Boma, then head for the airport. There is just no way that I'd be able to relax in a theme park on going home day if I also had to keep my eye on the clock, worrying about getting to MCO in time for my flight!!

*** Here's how my current reservation breaks down, comparing onsite or offsite: For our travel dates in July, a room at ASSports for 7 nights would be $779 using Orbitz's current code (without the code it's $897). I wouldn't need a rental car or to pay for parking at WDW. HOWEVER... I booked for $504 at Fairfield Inn Lake Buena Vista at the Marriott Village and have a rental car for $146 which, with $100 for 5 days of parking at WDW, is just about a break-even price ($750). I will have to pay for gas and tolls with my rental, but we won't be spending time waiting for buses, or having to plan 2 hours to go from ASSports to any other Disney resort hotel for dinner (we are big fans of Boma!). FFI includes breakfast every day and I have reserved a king-bedded room; most Disney values have 2 double beds in them (VERY few King bedded rooms and you cannot reserve them). There is no resort fee at either FFI or ASSp, and I won't have to pay for parking at FFI (perk of a AAA reservation). We'll have the flexibility of having a car, being able to go to off-site restaurants, grocery store for water and snacks, setting our own schedules, and have a bigger room with nicer amenities, king bed, etc. If we wanted to stay at a Disney moderate, or rent DVC points, the on-site cost would soar.

Honestly, if I can't take DD and myself to Disney for 5-7 days for under $2000, we don't go- but we have "free" airfare on SW points, and I usually have some Disney VISA points built up to offset the cost of food, park snacks, and souvenirs. I think you can easily do this trip on your budget, without feeling like you are shorting yourselves. Just remember that it's always fun to know you had a vacation you could afford!

If you can don't go over a weekend because the hotel rooms are priced higher. check in on Sunday out on Friday. Stay at a Value Resort. I know you said you would like to go in March but I go in January or September crowds seem less and sometimes there are deals on hotel room. Look for deals that include the dining plan. that will really cut the cost. If you are flying into MCO, use Magical Express, then you have no car rental.
I have used the Disney website to book and got a package, just because it easy but you can go on one of the online travel sites and see what their prices are. I was unable to purchase a plan through expedia or one of the other ones I can't remember. But I got a killer deal on the a room at the POP, then I just bought my tickets from Disney.
hopefully this helps some.

My family was able to do a 5 night trip 4 park days trip for $3,000. We stayed at a value resort. Took lots of snacks with us, drove, and stayed with family on the way down and back.

I do always buy the meal. Where does it say I don't buy the meal?

Buying one pop and refilling the cup to use it for 2 people is also stealing. Yes, it is only pop, but if 2 people want a coke then buy 2 cokes. The sort of thing you are recommending is part of the reason for the codes and time limits on the refillable mugs.

Yes. Some magical TAs have room-only reservations too. You should check with yours to too if she has any room only blocks. You may have to give up the DDP if you go room only, though.

FWIW, I've found Undercover Tourist to be a tiny bit cheaper than Parksavers.

Every trip to WDW we've made we try to do it as cheaply as possible, but not so cheap that it causes us to be disappointed. Our last trip was around $2500 total for a family of four driving to WDW. To compare, we had been quoted $4400 for a week at a value resort, lowest level free dining plan, and non hopper tickets for four.

Lodging - we stay off site. I can get a condo through my employer for $349 a week, or through my father-in-law for free. Its hard to beat that price. And these are condos with in room kitchens and washer & dryer. Quite honestly, when we go to Disney, we GO to Disney. A room is really a place for us to sleep, eat breakfast and supper and do laundry. When we go to the parks, we go at RD and stay all day.

Tickets - Use whomever you can to get a discount. For example, are you a AAA member? Look at Undercover tourist. We used to get tickets from our local military ITT office, but they just had a SIGNIFICANT increase in price (they are more than buying them at WDW!) so i'll be looking for other ITT offices or order them from Shades of Green.

Food - On our arrival day, we head to Wal Mart to buy groceries for the week. Since we drive, we also bring some items with us. This is food for the two meals we eat at the condo. At the park, we either will bring in a lunch with us (there is a Subway by the condo) or we will go to a QS restaurant. To be honest, we got sick of the Disney hamburgers and chicken nuggets on our last trip, and just went by Subway to get a sandwich to eat while we were in the park.

Rental car - we keep checking all the companies and using Costco. We'll book a car, cancel and book another one, and so on. We've found out that we get our best deal about three-four days before we depart.

We also have credit cards that give us reward dollars or gift cards, and we put all monthly bills on them and pay them off at the end of the month. We had about $1000 in rewards and gift cards to put toward our last trip.

If we have to buy anything for the trip before we leave, for example, new clothes, we try to stagger the purchases out in advance.

We are happy or at least comfortable with what we do when we go to WDW. It may not be for some people, but its what works for my family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter