Cheap stay..Kings Inn, Clarion, Motel 6 or other??

Not had any bug issues, although I dont stay on the ground floor. There are 2 blocks, connected by landings and stairs.

The main building has rooms above the reception lobby area. This is where the elevator is located.
The back block only has stairs.

I usually stay in the main building block, overlooking the pool area.

View attachment 443910
Thanks for the info. I just booked here and was able to get the 3 nights for a total of $237 that is refundable. I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on a slightly closer hotel occasionally. I'm happy knowing we have a place to stay at a good price.

Have you requested specific areas or rooms before or that just seems to be where you end up? I booked a double queen room.

Thanks for the info. I just booked here and was able to get the 3 nights for a total of $237 that is refundable. I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on a slightly closer hotel occasionally. I'm happy knowing we have a place to stay at a good price.

Have you requested specific areas or rooms before or that just seems to be where you end up? I booked a double queen room.

Thats about the best deal you will find, I stay during the summer and Motel 6 is usually the only place around $100 per night mark.

When I book I usually make a request in the notes section for a room in the main block above the lobby. I dont specify a particular room just an area. I usually book a room with 1 king bed, the rooms are huge.

Also just to note , there is no carpet, so I usually bring flip flops for the room. This year my room had a fridge and a coffee maker. There are vending machines and a microwave in the lobby for guest use but no other food. There is free coffee in the lobby from 6am to 10am.

There is a small convenience store in the lobby too, very odd opening hours though, its run by a third party , not Motel 6, I havnt bought anything in it, its mostly cheap Disney items but its handy if you have an emergency.

I use the ART bus, Motel 6 sells the bus tickets. The ART route has changed a bit, this year I used The Clementine Line, and walked across to The Clementine bus stop, about a 3 minute walk.

I’ve had good experience with King’s Inn. It’s basic, but clean and I felt safe there. Staying there for the 2nd time in a row next month.

I've used Hotwire or Priceline on every trip to DLR for many years. Always have stayed at well rated 3 and 4 star resorts for $50-$100/nt. Have stayed at Hilton, Red Lion, Crowne Plaza, Sheraton, Marriot and others. Before that was available we stayed at Motel 6 a few miles away on Katella in Stanton. It was very cheap but for the same money today, HW/PL gets my vote!

Slight difference here...
Definitely. But this year has changed the game somewhat with hotel rates -- finding a decent (= clean, safe, close) hotel at $100 or less/nt. is much harder since SWGE opened. (Someone posted that they found one -- um, it was way over on the outskirts of Buena Park, didn't look that clean, etc.) And the OP also said that she wants cheap and clean -- one of those has to take priority -- I'm going to go with clean. The Hilton can go as low as $99/nt. with a special rate. Or some nicer choices may be worth spending a bit more for the comfort and peace of mind. But most sane people aren't really looking for the nearest roach motel at under $100/nt. -- at least, not once they really think about it! (Well, we've had the rare poster who was willing to sleep in their car...)

Last edited:
We like the Desert Inn & Suites - right across the street from DLR. The earlier you book the better (I book as soon as their calendar opens), but right now their lowest rate is $139 for your dates. Sometimes they come out with specials - you just have to check at least once a week. They have a good cancellation policy (48 hrs) so I usually book and then rebook (or cancel) when I find a better price.

I also like The Anaheim a little further down (but closer to DLR than King's Inn), you can find really good deals for the Anaheim on Priceline and Hotwire. The walk is super easy, DD and I stayed there for Halloween last year and felt safe walking back even after the Halloween party.

All of the motels across the street are similar, but the prices on some have been going up a lot the past couple of years. We have stayed in several of them but tend to go with the 2 I mentioned above because they run specials all the time. The rest of them seem to keep the same rate even if slow.

What dates are you looking at? I've been able to get a really good rate at Hotel Indigo in the past. Desert Palms, Desert Inn & Suites, or Candy Cane Inn may good ones to look into as well.

Like @ParkHopper1 I've also heard bad things about the Clarion. However, Kings Inn and Motel 6 have gotten some pretty good reviews around here for a budget stay.

Yes, I agree with Desert Palms inn, depending on what their rates are at the time. I stayed there a couple years ago...the rooms were clean, beds comfy, bathroom was very clean. The cute indoor/outdoor pool was a nice bonus. The walk to DL wasn’t bad at all- about 10 mins. It’s RIGHT around the corner/next door to the 7-11.

Last edited:
28k points/night for the double tree!
That's a great rate! I'm used to paying more like 50K/night for any of the Hilton brands. If you have status and also get a free breakfast, you're really getting an amazing deal.
How's the walk just from the park if you don't take the shuttle? I'm not opposed to walking as long as it feels safe.
The walk is fine and while only 15-20 minutes, walking back at the end of a very long day feels like a really long walk. I've done with my daughter and while you will have lots of people walking on the street, too, that last block or so is a bit quieter after 11pm. I wouldn't have enjoyed walking alone that late.

Definitely. But this year has changed the game somewhat with hotel rates -- finding a decent (= clean, safe, close) hotel at $100 or less/nt. is much harder since SWGE opened.

I was only commenting on what seemed to be a misreading of the original request. :)

We like Stovalls on Katella. Good breakfast, $10 parking, clean rooms. 10 minute walk to downtown disney and another 10 to the entrance. If monorail is working, that cuts off a lot of walking. On the way back to the hotel, you can cut through the Grand Californian and it really cuts down on walking time. Room rates are best when booked direct and should be in the $100 range.
I am deciding between Stovall's and Castle Inn and was hoping to find some good advice to help me decide. Prices are almost equal, and I like what I see about Stovall's much better than Castle Inn (even though my 6 year old would like "staying in a castle") but I want to make sure the walk is manageable and safe at night since I will be traveling alone with my daughter.

I am deciding between Stovall's and Castle Inn and was hoping to find some good advice to help me decide. Prices are almost equal, and I like what I see about Stovall's much better than Castle Inn (even though my 6 year old would like "staying in a castle") but I want to make sure the walk is manageable and safe at night since I will be traveling alone with my daughter.
I travel with my daughter and we feel totally safe walking to and from Stovall’s. The breakfast is great. We picked Stovall’s for our next visit.

I feel safer walking from Stovall's, personally. But that's because I'm on Disney property the whole way, and there's no excess traffic. I figure Disney has it on camera if I sneeze wrong, so if anything happens on the walk to/from Stovall's, there's 100% chance it's on a camera or two. If something happens on the way to/from Castle, I'm relying on the surveillance cameras from 10 different hotels to piece together a timeline. I know, my anxiety is over the top, and I'm aware of that :) But, I also travel solo and am a petite female, so I tend to be hyperaware of my safety.

We have stayed at Kings Inn (great) Motel 6 (dead roach in our room) and I have stayed solo at Alamo Inn 3x (great).

I got a 103.00 per night deal for November 18-20th at the Days Inn on Harbor Blvd. Looks like an ok place with breakfast included and an hourly shuttle to the parks but is still within walking distance (with no kids). But I keep seeing 57.00 per night rates at the Red Lion, I assume it's some kind of trap! Red Lion reviews are also way worse than our Days Inn...

I got a 103.00 per night deal for November 18-20th at the Days Inn on Harbor Blvd. Looks like an ok place with breakfast included and an hourly shuttle to the parks but is still within walking distance (with no kids). But I keep seeing 57.00 per night rates at the Red Lion, I assume it's some kind of trap! Red Lion reviews are also way worse than our Days Inn...

Red Lion is also an absolute dump IMO.

Just stayed at the King's Inn last week for 4 nights, and would stay there again if budget was still the top priority (it was part of an 8-day theme park adventure for my friend's 30th, so we couldn't go too crazy!)

Some tidbits:

- Approx 15 min walk to the Disneyland security line
- A couple decent grab-n-go food shops right along the way (pizza/mexican/asian food) and a Walgreen's / CVS across the street from those shops
- Fairly small room (double queen) but beds were comfy enough and everything was clean - much better than the old Quality Inn or the Travelodge on the other side of the park. Small TV.
- No microwaves in room, they're located in the laundry room
- Decent grab-n-go breakfast
- Nice staff

Have you looked at Candlewood suites, about a 20 minute walk, kitchen in the suite, very clean and gets great reviews. Stayed last January and booked again for 2020.

I'very stayed at several budget hotels all walking distance to Disneyland and yet to find one that wasn't fine. It is a place to sleep. I'm there for the parks. None have been disgusting or anything.

PS - I've never felt unsafe walking anywhere there.

We like Stovalls on Katella. Good breakfast, $10 parking, clean rooms. 10 minute walk to downtown disney and another 10 to the entrance. If monorail is working, that cuts off a lot of walking. On the way back to the hotel, you can cut through the Grand Californian and it really cuts down on walking time. Room rates are best when booked direct and should be in the $100 range.
does the monorail not run every morning? I assumed I could enter through DTD and hop on! Always stayed on the Harbour side or drive in

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter