Changing Dynamic of the Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't miss anything. Rex said above he's seen up the kimono and it's not all that. Kim replied and said it was.

sorry, that was just my very sad attempt to lighten the "mood" on this thread... :rolleyes:

Sorry for being a simpleton, but I don't understand what 'line in the sand' has been crossed when mentioning DU on the podcast (no matter how many times). Is there a Cardinal Rule that has been broken that says you can't mention the source of income that provides for a FREE podcast? I have used DU in the past and I found them because of these boards. I figured that anyone who puts this much effort into all of this free information and weekly podcast discussions must also run an excellent travel agency. I was not disappointed.

Pete and crew: Thank you for your weekly reviews and discussions. For those of us that can't get to WDW as much as we would like, your podcast allows us to 'visit' WDW (and other Disney attractions) weekly. Keep going places and talking about your treks, it is greatly appreciated.

You are taking a third hand comment not only out of context but changing the meaning to serve your purpose. Yeah there was interest, it was an idea planted by others and the topic would have made for good discussion. There were some that PMed me, and emailed you on that topic. I recall Kevin bringing up that some fans had brought up my contribution. I recall being invited to do a review with you and Kevin not long after Bob's wake. Did the topic of my "replacing" Bob ever come up? That was an hour+ meal, with conversation spanning many topics... But my joining the show or Dreams, etc. was never one of them. After getting a peek under the Kimono, I had no interest.

Yeah, after everything with that night of looking for Pete... it would have been nice to meet and chat. But Pete wasn't there, indeed John... wasn't Pete having a "reaction to some medication?"

I don't believe I referenced a 'third hand comment' or took anything out of context.

The day of Bob's memorial service you said to Kevin and I "I was hoping Pete was here. I thought if he spent time with me he would hire me on the spot to replace Bob". Not only did I hear you say that, Kevin was there as well. This goes down as the single, tackiest thing anyone has every said to me in any situation.

Kevin also tells me you asked about being hired after I stepped away from the table the day we took you to lunch at the Wave. I didn't hear you say it so I don't know the words you used.

And Pete tells me the day you found him at Universal you asked for a job.

Apparently it took several looks 'under the Kimono' for you decide you didn't want to work with us.

And, while I'm on that subject....I find your snarky comments like 'look under the Kimono' or putting the fact that Pete was ill in quotations utterly offensive. Just because they are directed at the podcast team doesn't make them less of an attack.

There were a couple shows that came out in that time period that were extended interviews that were promoting one product. Regardless of not having any financial interest in the products being promoted... I spoke up to say, is this a good direction? Is this what people wanna hear? The show returned to the previous format.

I didn't even bring this topic up, the OP isn't a regular on the boards but a listener to the show that wanted to express concern. I agree with their points that "content" has moved a lot further into the show. I agree with comments on other parts of the disboards that some of the new policies are a double standard. Heck I made a joke that to get me to ride the doubleshot would take a very large donation to my foundation. Does anyone think I have a foundation? Pete took it as a personal attack that I was soliciting for donations. While GKTW is a great cause, I couldn't make a joke about donations to a foundation... there were several weeks where a large amount of time was dedicated to "soliciting donations". To paraphrase, "Common people, give more, shut me up".

Talk about distorting the facts!! You posted a request for personal donations to you complete with a link to a REAL paypal account. You can say it was a joke all you want but the paypal account was real and at no point did you reveal it was a joke. Seemed real to me.

And comparing that to asking for donations to Give Kids the World? Come on.

I put myself out there, It cost a couple bucks to make the drive to win that cruise. Gas, Hotel, Park Admission. It was a fun adventure. I was lucky that I got to have some fun. While most of us work tedious jobs till we die, I got to be a part of something big and enjoy a moment in the spotlight. I can take the personal attacks, even if personal attacks are against the rules of the disboards. To reiterate my point... much like Disney, the Disboards, Dreams Unlimited and the Podcast are a for profit business. Giving stuff away is good publicity, excellent marketing. Taking the show on the tours and organized trips is selling tours at a time when travel is slow. It is good business.

Advertising and marketing are cost centers. Giving away product to promote is part of business. While they have incurred costs for these promotions, do you really think they are giving it all away with no expectation that it will attract more customers?

We have never once misrepresented the fact that we own several businesses related to travel to the Orlando area. All the things you mention are indeed part of a marketing plan we find works very well for us. The fact is the more customers we have, the more revenue we produce to do things we want. As a company we reserve the right to use our revenue any way we see fit as long as it's legal. I personally work very hard to give back to our community as much as possible, whether the community is local, online or a charity that has special meaning for us.

My problem with your comments is the insinuation that we somehow are trying to hide the fact that we are business.

I cannot dispute the fact that I try to increase our business and our revenue every day. I can dispute any assumption that our efforts of giving things away, or planning events or trips are somehow used to hide this fact...or that anything we have given away/plan to give away is done with anything less than the sincerest integrity.

Also, I think our listeners are way to smart to fall for tricks or gimmicks to try to get them to use our businesses.

I re-read my post... change the object of criticism from the show to Disney and you have a "Pete Rant". In fact, let's try it...

It would seem that Disney has slipped into the form of a long commercial. Times being what they are, having a ready made audience that is easily marketed to with events related to Disney is an opportunity that is difficult to pass up.

You can be proud of the podcast; There is still content.

Here's the deal...if you want to say you are doing the same thing that Pete does in his rants you have to be willing and able to take all that goes along with that. This includes people disagreeing with you in a very vocal manner.

We don't do the show in a vacuum....we get all kinds of feedback whether in email, on the boards or via the phone. We address as much of that feedback as possible in as honest a fashion as possible - except when I can make a stupid joke out of it :goodvibes

:mad:I just think certain people should be thankful for what the team do to make us happy and entertain us each and every week!:goodvibes Dont bite the hand that feeds you (cake and pie)!
:love:I thank Pete, John, Kevin, Julie, Kathy, Corey, Teresa, Walter and the greatly missed Bawb for cheering me up and making me laugh when times have been hard. They dont need to do it. But they do! :love:

It never ceases to amaze me what the onset of a full moon will bring out of people

Speaking of moons.... "New Moon"
vampire-smiley-10.gif
comes out Nov. 20th!!!! :banana:

we've all watched those informercials and secretly enjoy them sometimes. I know you all have sham-wows in your closets!!! :rotfl2:

The Sham-Wow is right next to the Flobee. :scared1:

Okay, I'm jealous. Everyone has seen up their kimonos, and I haven't.

I don't think I want to see up anyone's kimono! Too much info there. :rolleyes1

So who is with me ......
lurk.gif
or
torte.gif

ok, I NEVER miss a show but I'm totally not getting the kimono reference :confused3 ... do pete, walter, john, and kevin lounge around in kimonos at home? I'm getting a great mental image of this right now... I wish I knew how to photoshop their faces on this picture:

Golden-Girls-tv-show-16.jpg

Apparently you weren't on the cruise then, or you would have seen that they all wear Kimonos while taping the show. And yes, they wear their kimonos like a true Scottsman wears his Kilt.......

Or maybe you just went to that family-friendly, for normal people taping of the podcast.....anyway, there's a mental visual fer ya!!

The Beginning of Every Roundtable Discussion

20-2098-VWP2D00Z.jpg

L.E. Ott, I have to say that I love your avatar!!! That is such a wonderful movie, dare I say it is one of my favorites.

So the cake just came out of the oven,, what type of frosting should I use today? I have buttercream, chocolate, chocolate buttercream and something strawberry, oh yea lemon as well.

Apparently you weren't on the cruise then, or you would have seen that they all wear Kimonos while taping the show. And yes, they wear their kimonos like a true Scottsman wears his Kilt.......

Or maybe you just went to that family-friendly, for normal people taping of the podcast.....anyway, there's a mental visual fer ya!!

ummmm... yeah, I missed all that. seriously? kimonos? lol. hey, whatever feels good to ya. ;):flower3:

Sorry for being a simpleton, but I don't understand what 'line in the sand' has been crossed when mentioning DU on the podcast (no matter how many times). Is there a Cardinal Rule that has been broken that says you can't mention the source of income that provides for a FREE podcast? I have used DU in the past and I found them because of these boards. I figured that anyone who puts this much effort into all of this free information and weekly podcast discussions must also run an excellent travel agency. I was not disappointed.

Bolded by me. Thank you for making an excellent point.

Although some seem to condesendingly believe us to be blindly niave fools who don't understand that businesses exsist to make money.....

Advertising and marketing are cost centers. Giving away product to promote is part of business. While they have incurred costs for these promotions, do you really think they are giving it all away with no expectation that it will attract more customers?

I believe the better DU does, the better it is for everyone from the Team to the fans. And I truly do not understand how it can be implied that a desire to attract more customers should somehow make anyone the least bit less appreciative of their prize.

Eh, don't take it so personally. It's just people sharing opinions

I realize that. I also realize that I'm a sensitive Sally. However, I'm coming from a past experience where a boards site was shut down because of this kind of stuff.

Likewise, I feel very sorry for Pete and the crew when this happens. They work hard and are wonderful people. I don't like seeing my friends critiqued. If that's taking something personally, so be it.

Anyway, who has the cake?

So the cake just came out of the oven,, what type of frosting should I use today? I have buttercream, chocolate, chocolate buttercream and something strawberry, oh yea lemon as well.

I could go one of each - apart from lemon :hug:

Didn't want to touch this one with a ten foot pole but... this reminds me of when they tried to give away a podcast cruise and there were whiners that ruined it.

Every time DisUnplugged does something for the listeners somebody has to complain about it.

Do I wish I could go on the Adventures by Disney trip? Are you kidding me? But I'm not going to complain that they are offering it and talking about it. In fact, I'm actually looking forward to hearing about it so I'll listen. And I have zero interest in the Universal stuff they talk about so I'll fast forward thru it as usual. Listen to what you want or don't. Who cares.

I have no problem with the podcast advertising on the show. The podcast and website is their advertising media.

Has the show changed since Bob's passing, for sure. The humor is not the same, and I feel the happenings in the park are not covered in the same way while Bob handled them. Kathy does a nice job, I just preferred Bob's point of view.

The only downside to all of the special events is the 'clicks' that have developed, those who have been part of things and those who have not and cannot be part of them. It is the slippery slope of doing them, and talking too much about the events before and after will just create a larger divide between all. Just need to be careful of that. JMHO.

There's nothing more I can say in support of the podcast that hasn't already been said, most succinctly by John and I have to stand behind Launchpad too. The military has a way of giving you the insight to cut through all the bull and get to the heart of the matter.

I try to live by the saying, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Thank you Podcast crew for taking hours out of your busy busy schedules to drive several miles, come together, and discuss with us the events planned by DUT and to update me on the latest goings on in WDW, DL and Universal FOR FREE. For some this journey is easier than others. Corey & Julie now have to pack up half their house just to attend the recording. (Hi Ferris) :rotfl:

Also, thank you for offering me so many opportunities to travel with you and meet you. One of these days when "life" gets easier, I will take you up on that. I'm really going to try for December 2010.

Each week, I look forward to your podcasts and the only times I've been disappointed is when the show had been cancelled -- with good reason of course! I thought yesterday's show was chock-full of great information. I'm off to download the email show!

Thanks again podcast crew for all you do for us. Please don't let a few bad apples reflect poorly on the whole bunch! :lovestruc

The only downside to all of the special events is the 'clicks' that have developed, those who have been part of things and those who have not and cannot be part of them. It is the slippery slope of doing them, and talking too much about the events before and after will just create a larger divide between all. Just need to be careful of that. JMHO.

Where is Kevin and his clique talk? I don't want to misquote him.

My version is toughen up a little. ;)

I realize that. I also realize that I'm a sensitive Sally. However, I'm coming from a past experience where a boards site was shut down because of this kind of stuff.

I'm not saying the DIS is beyond being shut down over this type of stuff.. but I would be very, VERY shocked if that's what came of it... I think the DIS is too well loved by 99.9% of us here (me included even though I hardly ever post anymore) and I don't think the board members and especially the podcast team would let a silly dispute bring the whole thing down!

VIVA LA DIS!! :grouphug:

This reminds me of the time my wife and I went to see Celtic Women perform. The lead singer had a cold and was lip syncing the second half of the show. When I commented on their forum about this, I got 300 posts telling me I was crazy, and the "Our Girls" would never do something like that, etc.

Concerning this thread, objectivity has been thrown out the door. Doctorhead is the only voice of reason in this thread. If someone can't make a comment about what they feel would improve the show (whether I agree with it or not), then the show will never improve. It's called FEEDBACK - something I think the podcast crew would WELCOME.

So everyone please disarm by putting down your pom poms.

I'm stepping off my soapbox now. I feel better! :love:

I think they would via the feedback form on the website, by putting on the boards you are opening it up for discussion, and people are gonna get hurt!

Likewise, I feel very sorry for Pete and the crew when this happens. They work hard and are wonderful people. I don't like seeing my friends critiqued. If that's taking something personally, so be it.

Anyway, who has the cake?

I know exactly how you feel, why can't we all get along? We are all people here, with feelings and emotions. Lets not throw stones, but get a long like a the lovely community I know we are deep down! Lets not let this board go the way of the community board please!

I am gonna have to dispute this slightly. I have not been to any of these events, heck this is the first time I am going to Disneyworld in 4 years come September! Do I sometimes feel left out cause I think people are having an amazing time? Yes. Do I think there is a clique? Heck no! I am still just as accepted on a Wednesday night chat as I have ever been, people still ask and care about me. The amount of support people have shown to me with exams and everything, as well as other things going on with me is positively overwhelming. These are good boards, full of nice people, all you have to do is put yourself out there.

I'm gonna stop now, I'm getting tearful.

People who have a "shared" experience are naturally going to congregate and talk about it, but this in my mind doesn't constitute a clique. I've never been shunned or run out of a thread because I didn't make the podcast cruise. I appreciate everyone talking about it because in a small way, I was able to experience what they experienced and by getting everyone's perspective, it was like another piece of the puzzle so to speak. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter