• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Central Europe- live!

When did you go? Our trip is Sept. Cold and rainy does not sound pleasant.

We were there this week last year. Our first two days in Prague were beautiful and after that we had some rain each day and some days it was a lot of rain. I know that in the mountains especially the rain can happen but the rain we had in Vienna did not seem to be the norm. I was very glad that I brought travel umbrellas and a lightweight jacket and several pairs of long pants/jeans. I could have used more long sleeved shirts/light sweaters. I would pack to be prepared to wear layers. Also, I do like warm/hot weather and I am from California where lately it never rains at all especially not in the summer (today aside). This is a picture of my kids and a couple of friends trying to climb to the top of the castle tower after the falcon show. They could not even make it out the door. DSCN3473.JPG

We were there this week last year. Our first two days in Prague were beautiful and after that we had some rain each day and some days it was a lot of rain. I know that in the mountains especially the rain can happen but the rain we had in Vienna did not seem to be the norm. I was very glad that I brought travel umbrellas and a lightweight jacket and several pairs of long pants/jeans. I could have used more long sleeved shirts/light sweaters. I would pack to be prepared to wear layers. Also, I do like warm/hot weather and I am from California where lately it never rains at all especially not in the summer (today aside). This is a picture of my kids and a couple of friends trying to climb to the top of the castle tower after the falcon show. They could not even make it out the door. View attachment 109194

This is our ABD in May 2013....Venice, Italy....It's not supposed to rain like this in May.
1012.jpg

***Day 5 ABD - The Hills are Alive!!***

This morning was an early optional visit to the Eagle's Nest. DD was especially interested in this opportunity, as she was a Theatre major/European Studies minor and had also worked extensively on a theatre piece about the Holocust. Anyone not wishing to join the excursion could sleep in and meet the group for a later departure to Salzburg. After the very strenuous day before, I thought it best for me to take the morning to recharge my batteries! DH & DD were very happy they went to see this historical spot, but I made the right choice for me and slept another hour, then had a nice Kempenski breakfast looking out over the Alps!

We all boarded the coach and made our way to Hellbrunn Castle and the Trick Fountains. It was a rainy morning, which was probably a good thing, since we had our slickers & umbrellas! (Wink wink!). The day did get brighter, which was great.

As a lover of The Sound of Music (and Julie Andrews!), this was one of "My Favorite Things"!!!! DD wore her "girls n white dresses with blue satin sashes" and the two of us were giddy, seeing all the spots where the movie was filmed. Salzburg was so cute - would have loved to have had more time to browse the adorable shops. We had dessert at a beautiful cafe that the Trapp family enjoyed. After a bit of on your own time, we all met for dinner and a private performance of Mozart violists. Very lovely. The restaurant was built in 803 AD. The history of this area of the world is so amazing to us Americans!

After another jam packed day, we returned to the hotel to pack up for our journey to Vienna the next morning!

Yay! SingingMom...I love your Trip Report and am anxiously awaiting each Post! You had your DD dressed???? Pics, please! I had an umbrella in Italy, but it was so windy, that it all but blew away...so I am opting for a rain jacket this trip. What do you think?

Because of the History, I am glad to hear about the optional trip to the Eagle's Nest.

Yay! SingingMom...I love your Trip Report and am anxiously awaiting each Post! You had your DD dressed???? Pics, please! I had an umbrella in Italy, but it was so windy, that it all but blew away...so I am opting for a rain jacket this trip. What do you think?

Because of the History, I am glad to hear about the optional trip to the Eagle's Nest.

As DD is almost 22, she dressed herself. Lololol. :-D. I don't remember how to include photos - if I get a chance to figure it out, I'll try.

Rain jacket is certainly a plus. I had one I picked up at Gap. Loved it - lightweight, easy to pack, more stylish than Disney ponchos, and had a great hood. It also was long enough to cover my shorts, so you could sit on something wet if you had to.

Not sure if every trip includes the optional Eagle's Nest visit, but I would think so. My guess is it's not something they actually "advertise", but will go if there is interest. If I hadn't been totally exhausted, I would have joined them. But I made the right choice. I think I would have been ill had I not given my body a bit of a rest!

****Day 6 ABD Vienna, here we come! ****

One more Kempinski breakfast (love that champagne & waffles with chocolate sauce!) then on to Vienna! But first, a few stops along the way!

The Salzbergwerk Berchtesgaden Salt Mine was a quick ride from the hotel - we all donned overalls and headed underground. We all joked it was like a WDW attraction, complete with train ride, two slides, and a boat ride! We had a few good laughs going down the wooden slides toboggan style! Mirror Lake was beautiful. Unfortunately, they didn't open the gift shop for us and we all wanted to buy salt! Our sweet guides gave us the slide photos & little salt shakers as a consolation prize. ;-)

Our next stop was a family bakery to make pretzels. This operation was a lot bigger than the Rotenburg bakery we visited on our Germany ABD. The owners were very pleasant, but I must admit, Wolfgang's pretzels in Rotenburg were tastier.

Back on the coach again to the sweet little town of Mondsee. We had a wonderful family style luncheon along the lake, and then visited the Basilica of Saint Michael, where the wedding scene of The Sound of Music was filmed. Very pretty church, but the aisle seemed a lot longer in the movie than in person! Hollywood strikes again! Lol. Of course, DD had to walk down the aisle! There is holy water available for a donation and a small gift shop. I picked up few postcards and a book written by the oldest Von Trapp daughter. Before we headed back to the coach, I snuck into a small shop to buy the prettiest tea towels embroidered with "The Sound of Music".

On the road again, to Vienna! While we drove, we re-watched parts of "The Sound of Music" and pointed out all the spots we had actually stood in the past two days!

Next stop - Vienna! And SISI! :-)........

When did you do Germany? Was it too close to this one? What is SISI? Were at the Salt Mine at an odd time? Looking forward to the Vienna Zoo!

When did you do Germany? Was it too close to this one? What is SISI? Were at the Salt Mine at an odd time? Looking forward to the Vienna Zoo!

We did Germany ABD two summers ago. It was wonderful, and the only similarities were pretzel making and castle visits. We loved both trips!

We were introduced to Sisi in Bavaria on the Germany ABD. She was a Princess of Bavaria who became Empress Elisabeth of Austria and Queen of Hungary, wife of Emperor Franz Josef. The Bavarian and Hungarian people adored her. She is pretty much a legend in the area. Every Christmas in Germany they play the dramatized version of her life . We even ordered the movie from Amazon after our Germany ABD! On this trip, we visited the Sisi Museum and the Imperial apartments.

We were at the Salt Mine early, but they usually open the gift shop for the ABD groups. Supposedly this day they were down a cashier and wouldn't open. Foolish on their part, since we ALL wanted to purchase some things. Our guides tried to explain this, but the employees wouldn't budge.

I'll recap the zoo visit soon!

Last year (other than the first group I think) we didn't have the option of doing the Eagle's Nest (we would have done it in a heartbeat). We did the Schnaap's tasting which looks like it was removed from the itinerary.

Last year (other than the first group I think) we didn't have the option of doing the Eagle's Nest (we would have done it in a heartbeat). We did the Schnaap's tasting which looks like it was removed from the itinerary.

The schnapps tasting was removed this year. Sometimes it takes a few trips to figure out what works and what doesn't. Anything from guest reactions to vendor services could be the reason itineraries change.
For example, I do know the Knights & Lights tour now includes more time in Windsor after all the guest feedback. It really is worth it to fill out that survey after your trip!

We were the first "family" to do an after hours tour of the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel, and they left it in as part of the itinerary. We gave a stunning review! If you get the chance and have not done it already....Viva Italia is Spectacular!

Myself, I can do without Schnapps, but my DH would probably enjoy it. At the Beer Spa in Prague, I will be drinking Water for Medical Reasons...but we're mainly doing that for the experience and DH. It's too bad, because I hear the Beer is plentiful and very good!

This is only the second year for Central Europe, so I imagine they tweaked it after the first year. With the River Cruises...it may go away...so I'm glad we're going now!

We were the first "family" to do an after hours tour of the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel, and they left it in as part of the itinerary. We gave a stunning review! If you get the chance and have not done it already....Viva Italia is Spectacular!

Myself, I can do without Schnapps, but my DH would probably enjoy it. At the Beer Spa in Prague, I will be drinking Water for Medical Reasons...but we're mainly doing that for the experience and DH. It's too bad, because I hear the Beer is plentiful and very good!

This is only the second year for Central Europe, so I imagine they tweaked it after the first year. With the River Cruises...it may go away...so I'm glad we're going now!

When are you taking the Central Europe ABD? I don't know what the Beer Spa is, but DH would have like that! lol We did taste schnapps later in the trip - I'll get to that soon ! - and it was horrid! heee heee

Our next ABD will be Italy - we're hoping to take the Adults Only Exclusive next year!

In 2007 we were on the first Magic Med. cruise and DCL offered the after hours tour and we were on it. The guards could not care so we have all this video and photos on our tour. They even said when asked " we don't care it is a private tour"......with an accent of course. Some argue that the beer in Prague is the best around......I tend to agree.

In 2007 we were on the first Magic Med. cruise and DCL offered the after hours tour and we were on it. The guards could not care so we have all this video and photos on our tour. They even said when asked " we don't care it is a private tour"......with an accent of course. Some argue that the beer in Prague is the best around......I tend to agree.

DH enjoyed the beer in Prague, and in Berchtesgaden,...and in Salzburg...and in Vienna.... LOLOL
I, however, did a Kir Royale tour of Central Europe!!! (and DD tried variations of a Cosmopolitan with Peach Schnapps!)

When are you taking the Central Europe ABD? I don't know what the Beer Spa is, but DH would have like that! lol We did taste schnapps later in the trip - I'll get to that soon ! - and it was horrid! heee heee

Our next ABD will be Italy - we're hoping to take the Adults Only Exclusive next year!

http://www.pivnilaznebernard.cz/en/photogallery-prague-1

The Beer Spa is walking distance from our Hotel in Prague. We googled things to see and do in Prague. We are tacking on a trip to DLP first, so we get to Prague the day before our Adventure starts. We elected to do the Beer Spa for a unique and relaxing experience. It has high ratings on the Travel Blog. While in the bath, you get to drink beer from the tap beside the tub. It looks fun to me.

We leave from here Sept 13 for 3 days at DLP. We are on the Sept 18-26 ABD (Adults only). 58 more days, but who's counting???

About the Ice Cave...I have a severe fear of heights...the path up to it seems to have a straight drop off on one side. Is the Path pretty Wide??? I hope I can make that!

You will thoroughly enjoy Italy! Say hi to Mama for me in Orvieto! (ask your Guides---she runs the best Pottery shop there---across from the Duomo)

Last edited:
I see your husband has good taste.........in beer as well.......not much of a schnapps fan though. In Slovakia (Bratslava) (sp?) there is a large statue of Sisi in the park by the Danube. I agree with you that Sisi is a patron saint to many Bavarian-Austro-Hungarian peoples.

http://www.pivnilaznebernard.cz/en/photogallery-prague-1

The Beer Spa is walking distance from our Hotel in Prague. We googled things to see and do in Prague. We are tacking on a trip to DLP first, so we get to Prague the day before our Adventure starts. We elected to do the Beer Spa for a unique and relaxing experience. It has high ratings on the Travel Blog. While in the bath, you get to drink beer from the tap beside the tub. It looks fun to me.

We leave from here Sept 13 for 3 days at DLP. We are on the Sept 18-26 ABD (Adults only). 58 more days, but who's counting???

About the Ice Cave...I have a severe fear of heights...the path up to it seems to have a straight drop off on one side. Is the Path pretty Wide??? I hope I can make that!

You will thoroughly enjoy Italy! Say hi to Mama for me in Orvieto! (ask your Guides---she runs the best Pottery shop there---across from the Duomo)

We were in Prague two days prior to the start of ABD, after reading Calfan's trip report and realizing there was SO MUCH to see!! Hubby would have liked the Beer Spa, but we had a jammed pack two days! The Ice Cave is very steep at points, and yes, it does have a straight drop off. But most of the path is wide enough to feel safe. I just couldn't handle the incline and thin air. I had thyroid cancer, so I have no thyroid, which regulates body temp. Once I get overheated, I can't really cool down. So, I was miserable. I truly wish I had passed on that day of touring and stayed at the pool! But I do know that everyone (but the three of us who stopped at the Oedl House) said it was well worth the trip. Me, I rather be able to catch my breath. ;-)

I see your husband has good taste.........in beer as well.......not much of a schnapps fan though. In Slovakia (Bratslava) (sp?) there is a large statue of Sisi in the park by the Danube. I agree with you that Sisi is a patron saint to many Bavarian-Austro-Hungarian peoples.

Anyone who has traveled in Germany with the local guide, Michael, comes away with a great appreciation, or at least fascination!, with Sisi! DD and I really loved the Sisi Museum!

I have a huge fear of heights too, but I did fine. As Singing Mom says the path is nice and wide and I stayed to the side. There are lots of staircases in the Cave which freak me out, but I just held the handrail (make sure to have gloves for that). I had told our guides about my fear of heights and I almost wished that I hadn't because on the trams, stairs, hike up they were almost too attentive. Or maybe I just looked like I was going to pass out. The ice cave was amazing so try not to miss it.

I have a huge fear of heights too, but I did fine. As Singing Mom says the path is nice and wide and I stayed to the side. There are lots of staircases in the Cave which freak me out, but I just held the handrail (make sure to have gloves for that). I had told our guides about my fear of heights and I almost wished that I hadn't because on the trams, stairs, hike up they were almost too attentive. Or maybe I just looked like I was going to pass out. The ice cave was amazing so try not to miss it.

Thank you! Not missing it is my goal! Gloves already in the stuff to pack...put them there as soon as Winter was done here.

***Day 6 ABD Continued......***

We said goodbye to the picturesque town of Mondsee and headed on the road to Vienna. I must admit, I started to get a little worried as we drove into the outskirts of the city. The area looked very industrial and not very pretty at all. Then we passed through open air stalls of different food vendors, called the Naschmarkt. I was not impressed and looked at DH with disappointment. This wasn't what I expected.

Well - silly me. I'm just as bad as the people who speak ill of NJ, only to find out they've only seen the area near Newark Airport! Lol. As we approached the center of the city, my "fears" left me! Vienna is beautiful!! Utterly beautiful!

We pulled up to the Ritz-Carlton and checked in. This hotel was gorgeous. The big thrill was, after DD squished in a rollaway at the Kempinski for three nights, she was given her own room! And what a room it was!!!! We were right next door in the same type room. 12 foot ceilings, huge king bed, wonderfully large bathroom with jetted tub, it was heavenly!! It was also quite helpful to now have two bathrooms for three adults to get ready early. We did not want to leave the Ritz! The only downside was free wifi was only available in the lobby, but we survived lol.

After freshening up a bit, we took our guides advice to "go get lost n the city"! We met up with a couple from our tour and went out to explore Vienna and "get lost"! We had a blast. We wandered through the streets and marveled at the architecture and the elegance. We stopped to take a few pictures and glance at the map.

One of the highlights of this ABD is a visit to the Spanish Riding School. DD competed on her university's equestrian team, so she was really looking forward to this. Unfortunately, there was a special ball and gala that week, and it was closed to the public. We were really disappointed that we would miss this major item on the tour. But as we were wandering the city, we spotted a white Lipizzaner being led through cobblestone courtyard. DD exclaimed "Follow that horse!" and five goofy Americans scooted through different courtyards and alleys, following a horse! We came upon the Imperial Riding School and snuck in to see them preparing for the ball. We took a few pictures then scooted out. Our friends said "well if we get arrested, our one phone call will be to our guide Andy, because he speaks German!" And we said, "and if we can't find our way back to the hotel, we call Dean, because he's the one who told us to get lost!"

After "trespassing" at the Riding school, we came across a building that was holding a concert/opera on the second floor. All the windows were wide open and we stood outside on the sidewalk & listened for a bit! It was beautiful! Then, we headed back to the pedestrian area of the center of the city and picked an outdoor cafe for dinner. It was delicious - pasta, fish, burgers - we were tired of the traditional food at this point.

After dinner, we continued to wander through the streets and stopped at Starbucks. I think DD can find a Starbucks in her sleep!! As we walked out, we noticed something in the outside corner of the window on the sidewalk. It was a naked baby doll! (It looked very real - so much so that we ran over to make sure it wasn't! Lol). Of course, by now we were silly-exhausted, so we got the giggles as our friend exclaimed "NOBODY puts Baby in the corner!!"
We had a good laugh, then found our way back to the Ritz-Carlton and enjoyed our luxurious rooms, so we were ready for our very busy next day in Vienna!

Up next - "oh Sisi!!!" ..........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter