• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Celebrating a 21st Birthday Around the World. A DxDDP Review. Update 08/22 'Ohana

Aww I wanted to do the same and have a little breakfast and lunch since DH is not a big breakfast eater either. My reservation is sadly even earlier than yours... :rolleyes: Looking forward to your Narcoosee's review!

Narcoossee's

We took the ferry over to the Grand Floridian from MK which worked out perfectly. I drops you off right in front of Narcoossee's which is super convenient if you don't know exactly where it is on the property.

For starters Carly ordered:

IMG_3963.JPG

St. Augustine Soft-shell Crab $21.00
Buttermilk-fried, Low Country Grits, Tarragon Sauce, Green Tomato Chow-Chow

She enjoyed this, and I tried a bite as well and it was quite good, if not a little bready. I prefer my shrimp and crab without breading, but it was tasty.

My Mom and I both ordered:

IMG_3964.JPG

Maine Lobster Bisque $13.00
Butter-poached Lobster, Coral, Chervil

We both really enjoyed this. It has lots of big chunks of lobster in it which of course is always appreciated in lobster bisque!

For our entrees we were quite boring and all ordered the same thing. I had every intention on ordering the lobster here, but once we got there I was just in the mood for a steak, so that's what I got!

IMG_3967.JPG

Grass Fed Filet Mignon $49.00
Boniato-Potato Mash, Broccolini, Red Wine-Oxtail Reduction

I loved everything about this! The steak was tender and delicious, the potatoes were creamy and decadent and I love broccolini. It was perfect to me. Carly ordered hers rare, and while she liked it, she didn't like that there wasn't much crust on the steak (is that the right word? :confused3 I don't know, I'm not a foodie. Hopefully you know what I mean!) and she would have like it better if it had been seared a little longer.

We also ordered an enhancement to share:

IMG_3965.JPG

Herb-roasted Mushrooms $15.00
Cremini and Shiitake Mushrooms in Herb Butter with Vermont Goat Cheese Feta

This is not included in the meal plan and we had to pay out of pocket for it, but it was well worth it. I love mushrooms with my steak and these were great. There was plenty there for all 3 of us as well, so there is definitely no need to purchase one for each person.

For dessert you'll be happy to know we all ordered something different!

I had to order:

IMG_3970.JPG

Almond-crusted Cheesecake $12.00
with Lambert Cherry Sauce

This was one of the rare instances where for me the item really lived up the hype! I love it, it was delicious. I think this may be the one dessert that I actually finished too.

Carly ordered:

IMG_3969.JPG

Narcoossee’s Candy Bar $11.00
Dark Chocolate-Mocha Bar with House-made Guanaja Chocolate Gelato

She loved this, and if you are they type of person who thinks there is never too much chocolate, ('cause to me this is too much chocolate! :blush:) you will love this too! I tasted it and it was very yummy, but there's no way I could eat more than a few bites of this. It is extremely rich.

My Mom ordered:

IMG_3971.JPG

Coconut and Chocolate Crème Brûlée $11.00
Layered Coconut and Chocolate with Whipped Chantilly Cream and Toasted Coconut

This was great! I had debated on getting this, but I decided on the cheesecake since it gets such rave reviews, so I was happy that my Mom decided to order it so I could try it. It tasted like suntan lotion and I mean that is the best way possible. :love: I love coconut and I love coconut and chocolate together even more. She was very happy with her choice.

We also ordered the french press coffee to have with our desserts.

IMG_3968.JPG

This was very good coffee. A perfect accompaniment to end a great meal!

Would I return? YES!

Obviously! It was very good and I would not hesitate to return... for dinner. (More on that later :D)

Next up - Kona!

Last edited:
That really stinks you didn't get any of the lunch offerings at TH :( We've done both breakfast and lunch and enjoyed both but not at that "sweet" time when you get a little of both meals. I'm also a huge breakfast eater lol.
Looking forward to your Narcoossees review, we loved it there!

I loved Narcoossees too, as you can see! I loved the setting as well. It's so pretty, I just love the Grand Floridian period, it's so beautiful there.

Aww I wanted to do the same and have a little breakfast and lunch since DH is not a big breakfast eater either. My reservation is sadly even earlier than yours... :rolleyes: Looking forward to your Narcoosee's review!

They had a decent amount of non traditional breakfasts foods, I think he will be able to find something to make him happy. I'm not sure if they were just late bringing out the lunch or if we just ate too fast. Either way it wasn't that big of a deal and I left satisfied with what I had.

Darn! I made a 10:45 Tusker House reservation for our trip, because I really don't like breakfast foods at all (but my boyfriend loves it). I really hope they start bringing out lunch at 11am the day we're there, or I'll just have to eat really, really slowly haha!

Your entrees and desserts at Narcoossee's look amazing! I need to try that almond crusted cheesecake sometime!

Following along, we don't have Narcoosee's on tap for our Sept trip, but you may have convinced me to add it on!

I'm glad you loved Narcoossee's! I also had the filet there and it was perfection :cloud9: And the almond-crusted cheesecake became my new favorite WDW dessert, not to be confused with schoolbread, my favorite WDW snack lol. Older DS ordered the Narcoossee's candy bar so I got to try that also. I'm a huge chocolate fan so I never think there's too much chocolate, loved that, too but I'll still be ordering the cheesecake again when we go back in November. Your review has me totally excited to return!

Darn! I made a 10:45 Tusker House reservation for our trip, because I really don't like breakfast foods at all (but my boyfriend loves it). I really hope they start bringing out lunch at 11am the day we're there, or I'll just have to eat really, really slowly haha!

Your entrees and desserts at Narcoossee's look amazing! I need to try that almond crusted cheesecake sometime!

I don't know what was up with the late lunch coming out! Oh well, it wasn't the end of the world. Hopefully it works out for you!

Following! Great reviews

Thank you!

Following along, we don't have Narcoosee's on tap for our Sept trip, but you may have convinced me to add it on!

It was a really good, solid meal. I recommend!

I'm glad you loved Narcoossee's! I also had the filet there and it was perfection :cloud9: And the almond-crusted cheesecake became my new favorite WDW dessert, not to be confused with schoolbread, my favorite WDW snack lol. Older DS ordered the Narcoossee's candy bar so I got to try that also. I'm a huge chocolate fan so I never think there's too much chocolate, loved that, too but I'll still be ordering the cheesecake again when we go back in November. Your review has me totally excited to return!

That cheesecake was everything!

Great reviews... Following along! :)

Thank you!

So sorry it's been so long since my last post! I only have my pictures on my home computer and usually when I have time to do updates I'm at work! I should really transfer them over to that computer so I can get more of this done.

On with the review!

Kona

I was very excited to have breakfast here. Once I saw the Samoan I knew that I had to have it! I looked amazing to me, and I was really, really looking forward to trying it, especially after reading so many amazing reviews. So, needless to say, I ordered the Samoan!

IMG_3977.JPG

The Samoan $11.00
Poached Eggs with Hollandaise served over Smoked Pulled Pork Hash

Here's where I start losing Dis Friends. I did NOT like this! :duck: See that big *** onion near the bottom of the picture? Well, let me tell you, it was filled with those. Listen, I like onions, I have nothing against them and I cook with them frequently. But that is all I could taste! ONION! I love pulled pork, I love arugula, I love hollendaise sauce, but I could not taste any of it over the strong onion flavour. :crazy2: I'm sorry to say I was really, really disappointed.

I believe my Mom also ordered the Samoan. I don't think she disliked it as much as I did. :rotfl:

Carly decided to try

IMG_3976.JPG

Macadamia-Pineapple Pancakes $12.00
with Macadamia Nut Butter, Pineapple Sauce, and your choice of Ham, Bacon, or Sausage

I can't quite remember exactly what it is she said about this, but I do remember that she wasn't crazy about it. (this is the problem with taking so long to do these reviews and not taking notes past the first few days. :bitelip: ) I think she thought it was just okay, not bad, but not amazing.

We also ordered the french press Kona Coffee and the Lilikoi Juice to go with our meals.

IMG_3975.JPG

Liliko'i Juice $5.00
Orange, Passion Fruit, and Guava blend

100% Kona Coffee - French Press Pot (Serves Two) $8.00

The coffee was really good as advertised. I thought I would HATE the POG juice, because as I stated before I do not like Passion fruit, but I tried it begrudgingly and I actually really like it! I didn't really taste much passion fruit in it at all. Hopefully that gets me a few brownie points after trashing The Samoan. :rotfl2:

Would I return: NO :duck:

Next up!

Sanaa (I will try to get this up either later on tonight or tomorrow afternoon)

Last edited:
Oohh... those were the things I was looking forward to ordering for breakfast... Now the doubt settles in... LOL! DH is not a big breakfast person and I have a few breakfasts booked :rolleyes: This might get cut....

Oohh... those were the things I was looking forward to ordering for breakfast... Now the doubt settles in... LOL! DH is not a big breakfast person and I have a few breakfasts booked :rolleyes: This might get cut....
'

I know the feeling! I changed things around so many times leading up to our trip. Honestly, Kona gets so many good reviews on here that I still think you should try it. I seem to be the only person who wasn't a fan, so I wouldn't take my opinion too seriously when it comes to this restaurant. Maybe we just caught them on a bad day.

That's really unfortunate because I LOVED The Samoan. It had very small pieces of onion, hardly noticeable by eye. Not onion-y at all. That's such a bummer yours was a miss.

Last edited:
'

I know the feeling! I changed things around so many times leading up to our trip. Honestly, Kona gets so many good reviews on here that I still think you should try it. I seem to be the only person who wasn't a fan, so I wouldn't take my opinion too seriously when it comes to this restaurant. Maybe we just caught them on a bad day.
It's actually good that I see a bad review so I don't have very high hopes for it. I was going to try it in 2012 but it got cut due to DH... Now I have it on my plans again along with the Wave and character breakfasts... Might get cut again but we will see... :laughing: Thank you for your review!

Don't feel bad about not being thrilled with Kona :) We tried breakfast there a few years ago and had high expectations based on all the excellent reviews and recommendations. DH got the Samoan and I got the pineapple -macademia pancakes; neither of us were very impressed and we have no desire to go back. But, what I like about the restaurants in Disney is that there's something for everyone and someone's least favorite is another family's every-trip-go-to!

Loving the reviews. I am doing the DxDDP with my kiddo in december so following with much interest - many of the same places too.

I have to agree, on paper the Samoan sounds right up my alley. If what was served to you, with those big honking onions (especially at breakfast!) is how it was actually executed, there is no way I could enjoy it!

I have been enjoying your reviews, btw!

I have had the Samoan many times, and never had the "Onion" issue....in fact I didn't even know there was onions in it....this is my fav dish at Kona....very very surprised this happened....sorry you didn't get their A game!

That's really unfortunate because I LOVED The Samoan. It had very small pieces of onion, hardly noticeable by eye. Not onion-y at all. That's such a bummer yours was a miss.

I must have gotten some onion happy chef that put mine together. :laughing:

It's actually good that I see a bad review so I don't have very high hopes for it. I was going to try it in 2012 but it got cut due to DH... Now I have it on my plans again along with the Wave and character breakfasts... Might get cut again but we will see... :laughing: Thank you for your review!

The Wave is one I haven't tried and it was on our short list this trip, but didn't make the final cut. It is definitely up at the top of new places I'd like to try.

Great reviews so far. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you and You're welcome!

Don't feel bad about not being thrilled with Kona :) We tried breakfast there a few years ago and had high expectations based on all the excellent reviews and recommendations. DH got the Samoan and I got the pineapple -macademia pancakes; neither of us were very impressed and we have no desire to go back. But, what I like about the restaurants in Disney is that there's something for everyone and someone's least favorite is another family's every-trip-go-to!

I'm so glad I'm not alone. I feel kind of bad for some reason not liking things that I "should" like. :oops:

Loving the reviews. I am doing the DxDDP with my kiddo in december so following with much interest - many of the same places too.

It was definitely A LOT of food, but it was great being able to try so many different items. Even though it's a waste, no one says you HAVE to finish every bite of your meals. They are quite big!

I have to agree, on paper the Samoan sounds right up my alley. If what was served to you, with those big honking onions (especially at breakfast!) is how it was actually executed, there is no way I could enjoy it!

I have been enjoying your reviews, btw!

Thank you! I would like to try it again, and maybe see if you can ask for no onions. I really think I would have loved it if it wasn't for that.

I have had the Samoan many times, and never had the "Onion" issue....in fact I didn't even know there was onions in it....this is my fav dish at Kona....very very surprised this happened....sorry you didn't get their A game!

It seems that what I got was not normal. I still think it sounds and looks delicious. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter