Celebrating a 21st Birthday Around the World. A DxDDP Review. Update 08/22 'Ohana

MissKIA

Mouseketeer
Welcome to my first ever Disney Dining Report! (I guess at this point this is technically a PRE Disney Dining Report) I have done a couple of trip reports in the past, but never for a Disney Vacation. I find that I don’t tend to take a ton of pictures on vacation because I’m too busy enjoying myself and I just forget to take pictures of everything. For this reason I thought that maybe doing a dining report with a few other bits here and there about our vacation in general. I will try to remember to take pictures of all of our food! Reading dining reports, and especially seeing pictures of meals, helped me immensely when it came to choosing our ADRs – and we have a lot of them. 8 Days of the Disney Deluxe plan and they are ALL table service restaurants with the exception of Be Our Guest breakfast.

This vacation will be a Mother (me), Daughter, Grandmother trip to celebrate my daughter’s 21st birthday! She is already of legal drinking age where we live in Canada (it is 18 here, some other provinces are 19). Most “kids” around here either go to Vegas or just cross the border for a quick weekend trip to celebrate being legal everywhere. Not my daughter! She would only accept Disney World - and The World Showcase to be more precise - as her only option.

My Mom has never been to WDW. She has been to Disneyland a couple of times with us – we spent a day there before taking a Hawaiian Cruise out of LA a few years ago, and we also spent 5 days there last May along with my Husband, Daughter, Son and Niece. She really enjoyed it and when we told her we were planning on going on a Mother/Daughter trip to WDW to celebrate Carly’s 21st birthday, she seemed really interested so we invited her along, and she was more than happy to accept!

We (well I, the planner) had originally planned on staying at Port Orleans Riverside and then switched over to French Quarter as I thought we might appreciate the smaller resort. I was secretly hoping for an awesome sale to come along so I could upgrade us to the resort I have always wanted to stay at. So, once the Summer Deals came out, I immediately checked to see what kind of a deal I could get for Animal Kingdom Lodge and low and behold, I was able to book us in a Standard Room for only peanuts above the cost of POFQ. So, I booked it!!! I was finally getting to stay at AKL! I don’t even care that it’s not in a Savanna room, I mean that would be cool of course, but it’s A LOT more money for an 8 night stay and with our Canadian dollar being so poor right now, it’s just not an option. We are already splurging with the Deluxe Dining Plan AND now a Deluxe Resort, I had to make some sacrifices. I did, however, eventually upgrade us to a pool view room. This way we will be close to both the pool and hopefully the Mara where it will be quick and easy to run down and get some coffee and a muffing or some other snack in the mornings that we are not doing breakfast.

So, there we have it. All of the details are below.

When – June 18-26, 2016

Who – Karen (me), Carly (My Daughter) and Nicki (My Mom)

Where – Animal Kingdom Lodge (oh yes, I forgot to add that Carly does not know about this, it will be a surprise!)

Like most people, our plans changed around many many times before we finally come to a final decision on where, what and when we would do everything. This is the final tally of our dining reservations:

ADRs

Breakfasts

Be Our Guest

Kona

Boma

Garden Grill

Narcoossee’s Waterfront Brunch

Lunches

Liberty Tree Tavern

Tusker House

50’s Prime Time

Via Napoli

Yak & Yeti

Dinners

Whispering Canyon Cafe

Jiko

Narcoossee’s

Sanaa

Le Cellier

Ohana

California Grill

Yachstman Steakhouse

The only repeats we have, that Carly and I have been to before are Boma (but we went for dinner, this time will be for breakfast), 50’s Prime Time (we love it and I think my Mom will get a kick out of the décor), Liberty Tree Tavern (but it was for dinner, this time will be lunch) and Ohana. Everything else is new to us, so we are very excited about trying all of these new places out! Since my husband and my Mom’s SO are not going to be with us we are free to choose restaurants that we would not choose if they were with us since they are pickier and would not enjoy them. So we are pretty excited about that as well.

I may do some live reporting while we are there, but I will definitely be back here when we return to continue with this report.

I also wanted to borrow a page from another poster here a couple of months ago and invite you all to add me to snap chat if you would like to "join us" on our vacation! I plan on doing a lot of snap chatting so feel free to add me! Here is my snap code:

snap code.jpg

Last edited:
Following along! That is a great list of ADR's, I can't wait to see your pictures and hear all about your experiences at each one! I'm not sure I could ever eat enough food in a day to justify the Deluxe Dining Plan, 3 meals/day just sounds like so much eating haha!

Following along! That is a great list of ADR's, I can't wait to see your pictures and hear all about your experiences at each one! I'm not sure I could ever eat enough food in a day to justify the Deluxe Dining Plan, 3 meals/day just sounds like so much eating haha!

I agree, it is going to be a ton of food. Because of the many signature 2 credit meals we have planned, we only actually have 2 days where we have 3 meals planned. The rest of the days are only 2 meals (or one for the first and last days). They are pretty spread out time wise, so hopefully it won't be too bad! We really wanted to book a lot of table service and signatures, so this was the way to go. I'm not convinced that this meal plan is the most economical option, but we really wanted to splurge this one time and try it out. I will definitely be keeping a running total and comparing costs, cause I am curious to see how it ends up.

I agree, it is going to be a ton of food. Because of the many signature 2 credit meals we have planned, we only actually have 2 days where we have 3 meals planned. The rest of the days are only 2 meals (or one for the first and last days). They are pretty spread out time wise, so hopefully it won't be too bad! We really wanted to book a lot of table service and signatures, so this was the way to go. I'm not convinced that this meal plan is the most economical option, but we really wanted to splurge this one time and try it out. I will definitely be keeping a running total and comparing costs, cause I am curious to see how it ends up.

That makes sense with all of the signatures!

I was very focused on making the dining plan save us money, and in the end it actually did! (although we were just on the standard one). I'll post my spreadsheet in my trip report/dining report once I'm finished both of them :)

Following! From Canada too and taking DS2 for his first trip with DxDP at AKL! Can't wait to see your reviews! :)

I am also from Canada, and my trip in July is to celebrate the birthday of my twin boys who just turned 21 on June 9. We are going for 15 nights (July 11-26) and staying at POR. They are excited to be going and to finally be "legal". I look forward to your trip report!

Your trip sounds great! Looking forward to reading your reviews!

Thank you, I think it sounds great too! :D I can't wait!!

That makes sense with all of the signatures!

I was very focused on making the dining plan save us money, and in the end it actually did! (although we were just on the standard one). I'll post my spreadsheet in my trip report/dining report once I'm finished both of them :)

I KNOW that we would not order as much food as we are allowed on the DxDDP. We would normally probably order one app to share and maybe one or two desserts to share - if we ordered dessert at all. So I'm sure we won't be saving any money, but there's just something fun about doing this, this one time.

Following! From Canada too and taking DS2 for his first trip with DxDP at AKL! Can't wait to see your reviews! :)

Awwww that's so exciting! I love seeing little kids at Disney, it's so adorable. I didn't take mine for the first time until they were 9 & 11. I bet your son will love all the animals at AKL!

I am also from Canada, and my trip in July is to celebrate the birthday of my twin boys who just turned 21 on June 9. We are going for 15 nights (July 11-26) and staying at POR. They are excited to be going and to finally be "legal". I look forward to your trip report!

Yay! SO many Canadians! I thought we were all only supposed to go south in the winter? :rolleyes1 People always ask why I don't go in the winter when I go on vacation (if it's not in the winter of course). I don't really care about getting away from the cold, I just want to get away any time!

You're going for 15 days! Wow, that's so awesome! Are you spending the entire 15 days in Disney or are you also going other places as well? That's so cool that your boys also want to spend their 21st in Disney. I love it!

I just noticed that my ticker says 1 week to go! :bounce: I started that sucker at well over a year in advance, so that is very exciting to see! I'm mostly packed, I've exchanged my money to US :crazy2: & grocery shopped for the guys that we're leaving behind. (they can live on tv dinner and frozen pizza for a week right? :rolleyes1) Now I just have to wait... and get through one last LONG week at work.

Yay! SO many Canadians! I thought we were all only supposed to go south in the winter? :rolleyes1 People always ask why I don't go in the winter when I go on vacation (if it's not in the winter of course). I don't really care about getting away from the cold, I just want to get away any time!

You're going for 15 days! Wow, that's so awesome! Are you spending the entire 15 days in Disney or are you also going other places as well? That's so cool that your boys also want to spend their 21st in Disney. I love it!

We used to go at different times of the year...but now, with university schedules, summer is best! We are staying all 15 nights at Disney. We have lots of park and non park time planned. We always go for 2 weeks, and never get bored!! We are all so excited! One of my boys goes to university in the US, so this gives the three of us awesome quality time before he heads back to school in August.

You leave this Saturday! :banana: How FUN!

We're planning to eat at 7 of the restaurants on your list so I'm looking forward to your reviews :)

Following! What a great list of places to eat :goodvibes We've eaten at 14 restaurants on your list for the same meal you're doing and then a couple others for a different meal. I'll be eagerly awaiting your reviews!

This sounds like my kind of dining report! We have done the Deluxe Dining on every trip except the 1 day with my nieces/nephew and the long weekend we took in 2014. Yes, it's A LOT of food. Way more than a normal person needs. But it gives you a chance to try so much Disney yumminess! Of your restaurants, we have only done 1 breakfast (Boma), 4 of the lunches (not Tusker House for lunch), and 'Ohana and Le Cellier (our first dinner on our honeymoon, so it holds a special place in our hearts) for dinner. Looking forward to your reviews!

I added you on snap!:-)
First of all Happy birthday to your daughter and I hope you guys have a fabulous trip! :bday:
I'm so excited to hear your reviews as I have most of these places booked for my upcoming trip as well.
I totally agree on the Deluxe dining plan being a ton of food but it's nice to splurge and let's be honest, I'm going for the food. Enjoy!:-)

Following! What a great list of places to eat :goodvibes We've eaten at 14 restaurants on your list for the same meal you're doing and then a couple others for a different meal. I'll be eagerly awaiting your reviews!

Thanks! I've enjoyed reading your trip reports, so I guess it's my turn to (hopefully) entertain you!

Sounds like you have an amazing trip planned :goodvibes

Thank you! I hope it turns out as amazing in real life as it is in my mind right now. :flower1: Sometimes I don't know if I enjoy the planning or the actual trip more!

This sounds like my kind of dining report! We have done the Deluxe Dining on every trip except the 1 day with my nieces/nephew and the long weekend we took in 2014. Yes, it's A LOT of food. Way more than a normal person needs. But it gives you a chance to try so much Disney yumminess! Of your restaurants, we have only done 1 breakfast (Boma), 4 of the lunches (not Tusker House for lunch), and 'Ohana and Le Cellier (our first dinner on our honeymoon, so it holds a special place in our hearts) for dinner. Looking forward to your reviews!

I am really excited to try lots of different Disney yumminess! I just hope no one yells at me if I don't clean my plate. (I will fully expect it at 50's though!:hyper:). Thanks for following along!

Following along.

Thank you! :welcome:

I added you on snap!:-)
First of all Happy birthday to your daughter and I hope you guys have a fabulous trip! :bday:
I'm so excited to hear your reviews as I have most of these places booked for my upcoming trip as well.
I totally agree on the Deluxe dining plan being a ton of food but it's nice to splurge and let's be honest, I'm going for the food. Enjoy!:-)

Yay! Thanks for adding my to snap chat! I'm really excited to trying out these experiences. I will be sure to tell Carly Happy Birthday for you! I think I might try to get her to register when we get back so she can comment as well. I don't want to do it before we go though cause she will see my surprise!

Following! And... I added you on snap!

Yay! Another snappy! Thanks for following along!

I hope you guys who have added me so snapchat don't mind my random silly snaps. :o Sometimes I get bored at work (I'm usually all alone) and use snap chat to entertain myself. ::yes::

If any of you have snap chat and haven't added me yet, please do so! If you don't know how to use the snap code you can also add me by my username which is kwin1973.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter