CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...certain-covid-shot-prevents-transmission.html
Pfizer's coronavirus jab may not prevent vaccinated people from spreading coronavirus, the firm's chairman admitted this week.

'I think that's something that needs to be examined. We're not certain about that right now,' said Albert Bourla, when asked by Dateline's Lester Holt about whether the shot would prevent transmission during the interview, which aired Thursday night.

Clinical trials found the shot to be 95 percent effective at preventing people from developing COVID-19, which could mean stemming the pandemic's deadliness and burden on health care systems worldwide.

But Pfizer didn't collect data that would show whether volunteers who got its shot transmitted the virus (nor have other companies offered such data), so it's possible that highly-contagious virus could continue spreading after we have vaccines.

This has been discussed, but this is even more a reason for people to get the vaccination, because then this issue wouldn't be a cause for big concern.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...certain-covid-shot-prevents-transmission.html
Pfizer's coronavirus jab may not prevent vaccinated people from spreading coronavirus, the firm's chairman admitted this week.

'I think that's something that needs to be examined. We're not certain about that right now,' said Albert Bourla, when asked by Dateline's Lester Holt about whether the shot would prevent transmission during the interview, which aired Thursday night.

Clinical trials found the shot to be 95 percent effective at preventing people from developing COVID-19, which could mean stemming the pandemic's deadliness and burden on health care systems worldwide.

But Pfizer didn't collect data that would show whether volunteers who got its shot transmitted the virus (nor have other companies offered such data), so it's possible that highly-contagious virus could continue spreading after we have vaccines.

Powerful evidence for vaccine requirements.

I think we had to consider this as a possibility. We've accepted it with the flu vaccine. We obviously hope we could just make COVID go away with vaccines but it's always been in the back of my mind this being endemic.

What I think may be a true test is if this ends up endemic and a vaccine mimics the flu vaccine in so much that it doesn't mean you won't get the flu how will we react to this on a global scale. The measures taken this year simply can't be replicated year after year after year (and they really shouldn't as we should be using our information and adjusting with that).

It was discussed, with no real conclusion.
To be fair there still is no real conclusion.

I think we had to consider this as a possibility. We've accepted it with the flu vaccine. We obviously hope we could just make COVID go away with vaccines but it's always been in the back of my mind this being endemic.

What I think may be a true test is if this ends up endemic and a vaccine mimics the flu vaccine in so much that it doesn't mean you won't get the flu how will we react to this on a global scale. The measures taken this year simply can't be replicated year after year after year (and they really shouldn't as we should be using our information and adjusting with that).

The massive difference between Pfizer/Moderna here and the flu vax is efficacy: the flu vax in a given year has 40-60% efficacy. These Covid vaccines have 95%.

I'm honestly shocked anyone thought that it would be eradicated by a vaccine?
They've pretty much said from beginning Covid would be now be part of our life - cold/flu/covid season. The vaccine is the best we can hope for at lessening the spread.

I have to say, it's not even on my radar as a consideration for getting vaccine or not.

The massive difference between Pfizer/Moderna here and the flu vax is efficacy: the flu vax in a given year has 40-60% efficacy. These Covid vaccines have 95%.
I wasn't comparing the efficacy at all between them....

It is possible to get the flu even with a flu vaccine, there is not concrete evidence at the present moment to say a covid vaccine means you can't still get coronavirus which would mean it would be endemic as opposed to a vaccine, even after time, works to fully eradicate from the global population. It's just unknown at this point. That is the only point I was making nothing more nothing less.

I'm honestly shocked anyone thought that it would be eradicated by a vaccine?
They've pretty much said from beginning Covid would be now be part of our life - cold/flu/covid season. The vaccine is the best we can hope for at lessening the spread.

I have to say, it's not even on my radar is a consideration for getting vaccine or not.
I believe it's mostly the back and forth rhetoric brought on by the complete unknown. It's been mentioned before in the spring that they thought this could be endemic even with a vaccine but that got buried away as time went on. As of right now it's still possible to be endemic.

I think there's also the distinction to be made for end of the pandemic and end of the virus in its presence. I think a lot of people don't necessarily consider them completely separate but they are. A pandemic is a moment in time defined by "a disease spreads across several countries and affects a large number of people." Eventually the pandemic will be declared over with. We know that, we don't know how long that will be, but eventually that will happen. It's the other part unknown by scientific evidence at this point.

I would be shocked if it was gone completely, but it would be nice. :)

I suspect the spread will lessen greatly and those that do get it (that are vaccinated) will have very mild cases.

Well, then we're sort of getting into the weeds on what "virtually gone" means, but I'm generally in agreement. I'll go one step further and say deaths and hospitalizations will be virtually eliminated in my above timeframe.

No, still no conclusion, however the CEO of Pfizer just clarified what many have been wondering, ie that they just don’t know; not that it’s a definite yes or definite no, as I’ve read in places (here).

How did we eradicate smallpox?
Well it did take thousands of years...and vaccination efforts (including various types of vaccines) for several hundred years..that's an oversimplication but you get the picture.

Even with the advancement in technology and human efforts it would be prudent to at least consider there may not be an eradication by the end of next year

Well it did take thousands of years...and vaccination efforts (including various types of vaccines) for several hundred years..that's an oversimplication but you get the picture.

Even with the advancement in technology and human efforts it would be prudent to at least consider there may not be an eradication by the end of next year

It was eradicated by a vaccine with efficacy similar to the new Covid vaccines.

And I'm certainly not convinced Covid will be eradicated by the end of next year. But I do believe that it will be.

Covid will become a seasonal problem once the vaccines are in wide circulation. It will not be eradicated in any of our lifetimes simply because it is far too contagious AND not deadly ENOUGH. It is, biologically, almost a perfect virus.

We will have to get Covid vaccines in perpetuity, probably annually, if not every 6 months (this will be determined by the study participants and how long their immunity lasts).

Thinking it will be eradicated is extremely optimistic. However, if we never see severe illness and deaths at these numbers again going forward, it will be a huge win. That's the goal.

Here is one third of their total argument:

"There is no highly effective vaccine or antiviral treatment for coronavirus. A disease that can be eradicated must be either preventable or curable. Smallpox is preventable with a vaccine. Hepatitis C is curable with certain antiviral drugs. (Because of this, some in the biomedical community are pushing for the eradication of hepatitis C.) But a highly effective vaccine for COVID is unlikely, given that humans probably don't develop long-lasting immunity to coronaviruses. Besides, some vaccines are unimpressive to begin with. The 2017-18 seasonal flu vaccine, for instance, was merely 38% effective."

How did we eradicate smallpox?
VACCINES! Yay!

Sadly, I did read that we were *really* close to eradicating polio, and they expected to do it in 2020 or 2021. But the break in regular childhood vaccinations in some areas, due to COVID as well as unsafe/unstable conditions, let it regain a small foothold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter