CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a terrifying thought for everyone:

Our friend who runs the urgent care where we got our tests said that the other day they had 25 PEOPLE IN A ROW test positive.

Number with symptoms? ZERO.

Sorry, stupid question, but why were they in urgent care with no symptoms?

In my book that's good news as it looks like the virus is becoming weaker. Now if you had said they could not breathe that would be scary.

In my book that's good news as it looks like the virus is becoming weaker. Now if you had said they could not breathe that would be scary.

Well, you didn't ask me, but a lot of people got tested before and after Thanksgiving in particular, to see if they could go to a holiday gathering, or if they possibly contracted the virus after the gathering.

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean that virus is weaker, or has mutated. It just means that the people who tested positive were likely younger and/or healthy enough that they didn't have any symptoms. The asymptomatic infected are the ones who are really spreading this virus, because many don't know that they even have it. And if those people come in contact with older people or those with pre-existing conditions...well, that's why we've got a record number of hospitalizations and deaths.

Edited to add....the good news, is that people *without* symptoms are taking it upon themselves to get tested. Now they can isolate...until they're asymptomatic. That's a good thing.

Last edited:

They are the only place around here offering walk in Covid tests with on the spot results. You just have to wait in line.

They are the only place around here offering walk in Covid tests with on the spot results. You just have to wait in line.

Same thing around here....the Urgent Care centers have even set up tents in public town parking lots. The lines have been very long recently.

I've heard some recent chatter by experts that the hospitalization numbers are dipping a bit with respect to case numbers, and they think this is a part of it. People who are asymptomatic getting tested, and finding out they're positive....in much greater numbers. Also, hospitals aren't admitting as many patients who are "on the fence" with respect to needing a hospital bed vs. riding it out at home.

Not unexpected. We have been anticipating this. Logistics and supply train are always going to be complicated and difficult. I know these companies are all working hard though.

100%. And the last thing we all want is for there to be a minor (or God forbid) major issue with the vaccine. They need to get it right, and I'm confident they will.

Not unexpected. We have been anticipating this. Logistics and supply train are always going to be complicated and difficult. I know these companies are all working hard though.

they accounted for this in September. The numbers we have seen over the last few days remain accurate.

they accounted for this in September. The numbers we have seen over the last few days remain accurate.
Logistics will be difficult. This is a complicated undertaking. I am just saying that setbacks are to be expected as nothing is as easy as it seems. Of course these companies have planned, I am just saying that there will be bumps in the road. There always are.

literally yesterday; we got a letter from Moderna saying the placebo group would get the real vaccine as soon as they’re able.

It sounds like it's not their decision, though. They could jeopardize full authorization if the FDA/vaccine panel don't permit it.

It sounds like it's not their decision, though. They could jeopardize full authorization if the FDA/vaccine panel don't permit it.
I'll go out on a limb here and say I don't believe the FDA would side against good and decent vaccine trial volunteers.

And yes, I get there are potential science "benefits." But that does not outweigh the need to step up and vaccinate these placebo volunteers promptly. Their courage is a big part of how we got to where we are today.

That is correct- the FDA would have to green light it. I assume they would though because they'd look awful if they didn't.

I'll go out on a limb here and say I don't believe the FDA would side against good and decent vaccine trial volunteers.

And yes, I get there are potential science "benefits." But that does not outweigh the need to step up and vaccinate these placebo volunteers promptly. Their courage is a big part of how we got to where we are today.

Thank you. And I tend to agree- good luck getting volunteers next time around if they get punished for participating.

Thank you. And I tend to agree- good luck getting volunteers next time around if they get punished for participating.

I think you're absolutely correct. I did not volunteer to be a participant, but I guarantee that if I had, and I found out that I received the placebo....I'd want the real vaccine. Especially taking into account how unbelievably out of control the pandemic is now, and my own personal circumstance of not being able to spend any time indoors with my parents or my in-laws. I understand the value of the control group...etc. But let's be honest, we're about to have millions and millions of new participants in this grand global pandemic study of ours. I'm sure that the really smart people can find a way to follow those people and also follow a group of die-hard anti-vaxxers at the same time...and see what happens.

Agreed.

Not exactly the same, but it reminds me of a hormone replacement study many years ago that stopped mid-stream when it was discovered there was an increased risk of breast cancer. They did what was best for the study participants even if it meant not finishing the study.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...certain-covid-shot-prevents-transmission.html
Pfizer's coronavirus jab may not prevent vaccinated people from spreading coronavirus, the firm's chairman admitted this week.

'I think that's something that needs to be examined. We're not certain about that right now,' said Albert Bourla, when asked by Dateline's Lester Holt about whether the shot would prevent transmission during the interview, which aired Thursday night.

Clinical trials found the shot to be 95 percent effective at preventing people from developing COVID-19, which could mean stemming the pandemic's deadliness and burden on health care systems worldwide.

But Pfizer didn't collect data that would show whether volunteers who got its shot transmitted the virus (nor have other companies offered such data), so it's possible that highly-contagious virus could continue spreading after we have vaccines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter