CANDY BUFFET for my DD graduation party I NEED HELP..Please

flakypuff

DIS Veteran
I have been raking my brain for weeks to come up with something special for my DD graduation party...
I am keeping my fingers crossed for the nice weather.
I have a few tents..
I was thinking......popcorn::
There is going to be 70-85 pp..kids and adults...and Senior Friends of my DD....
I have a chocolate fountian,,:rolleyes1 now I want to do a Buffet. I know they do them at weddings but I have never seen one before.
I need to keep it BUDGET.....
Her colors are purple, yellow, white black but I dont need to stay to those colors at all...the multi colors seem more fun anyway..
I dont want to get into alot of chocolate because I have the fountian.....
I think I will close off one of the small 8ft tents with the side so no one peaks...then set it up with all pretty twinkle lights:banana:
to make it a show stopper I need lots of candy....why didnt I think of it when they were clearing out Easter:headache:
Please guys I need every penny saving idea you have.....I am going to use big Martini glasses and clear glass jars. I am going to get small little boxes and they can use those for a goody bags...I mean little like the size of a computer mouse.popcorn:: :grouphug:

You can order some things in bulk from Oriental Trading Catalog. And I'd check out places like Odd Lots, Big Lots, Ocean State Job Lot if you have any of those. You may be able to find candy at bargain prices.

i have made what is called reverse oreos and they are kinda candy kinda cookies-you can use generic "oreos"

One package Oreo cookies
1 teaspoon vanilla
One package cream cheese, softened
one package of vanilla bark squares (i found this at super Walmart) it is white chocolate bar

Cooking instructions:
Crush the entire package of oreo cookies up or use the food processor. The finer the crumbs the better. Add the softened cream cheese and 1 teaspoon vanilla and cream well. Roll into small balls and refrigerate until firm. Melt vanilla bark squares in double boiler and dip one ball into melted bar with toothpick. Put on waxed paper and cool.

I found if you take a few cookies at a time out of the refrigerator and dip in white chocolate at a time the balls stay cool and I used a slotted spoon it works much better than a tooth pick. If the cookies get too soft before you get them dipped just refrigerate again and let get cool

Jelly beans or candy fruit slices
super Target has bulk candy -at least they do around here
also you can get chocolate "bark" and dip 1/2 of a pretzel rod roll in sprinkles- ( a la' goofys chocolate factory!)

I don't know when the party is but the biggest expense is the containers to put the candy in. Michael's has a good selection and if you use 40% off coupons, they are a much better deal. You can also look into rental places but I've found that it's cheaper to just buy the containers with they go on sale. If you have a Hobby Lobby, they regularly put their vases, candle containers and glassware on sale for 50% off. Like every other week. :rotfl: Remember to provide scoops or tongs or spoons.

I know this is a wedding site but here is a thread with a bunch of pictures of candy buffets for some ideas on how to arrange it: http://www.mustloveweddings.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8169&highlight=candy+buffet

candy_buffet1.jpg

This would be easy to replicate with cardboard boxes and the candy used isn't very expensive at Sam's. I see blow pops, pixie sticks, tootsie rolls and jelly bears. Laffy taffy and twizzlers aren't very expensive and I've found that most kids prefer that to chocolate. :eek: Did your daughter have favorite candy as a child? Maybe include that?

I was at a wedding that had a candy buffet after the traditional cake/cookies/cordials. It was set up in a separate room so that it was a nice surprise when we walked in. Besides candy,they had a cotton candy machine and belgian waffles with toppings. The candy was displayed in metal buckets that had been "spilled" over on the table. We all had chinese take-out containers to bring our goodies home. They seemed to have a wide variety of candy:licorice,smarties,bazooka bubble gum, kisses,skittles, pixie stix, mints,jelly beans, plus a wide variety of chocolate bars.

I would think that Costco would be a good place to look for candy in bulk. Use small containers, put the display on a small-ish table (so it looks like there's more than there actually is!) and make sure the take home containers aren't too big.

Good luck. Sounds like it will be a fun party!

WOW! I have three Graduating this JUNE! 2 from 8th grade and 1 from High School all on the same day mind you! 2 at 11am and 1 at 430pm ! We are having the party a week after I need to recoup at a local restaurant and this is an awesome idea I was racking my brain trying not to go over board! Awesome ideas! :thumbsup2 :goodvibes :) :)

Those candy bars are beautiful! I think I might have one at dd's bday party instead of giving out goodie bags....of course, she'll be turning 15 so I guess goodie bags are out at this age anyways. .

candy_buffet1.jpg

This would be easy to replicate with cardboard boxes and the candy used isn't very expensive at Sam's. I see blow pops, pixie sticks, tootsie rolls and jelly bears. Laffy taffy and twizzlers aren't very expensive and I've found that most kids prefer that to chocolate. :eek: Did your daughter have favorite candy as a child? Maybe include that?

I wish I had something to add, just had to say that picture is fantastic and it could be done on a budget!

This is a great idea - hope the party is loads of fun!

I bet you could make the little take-home boxes out of tag board from the dollar store. There are patterns online I'm sure.

Also, cake decorating confetti would probably be cute scattered on the table.

Is there a Smart & Final store where you live; I try to buy my Haloween candy there. They have stuff you can't get anywhere else, like candy necklaces and stuff like that.

Wow that is a great idea! I might have to steal this for our wedding reception - we are doing a vegas theme and could get like "Winner" cups for people to put their goodies in. Thanks for the idea OP!

I just had a candy buffet at my wedding reception, it was HUGE hit! I bought a lot of my candy from http://www.economycandy.com/ There candy was fresh, and reasonably priced. I also checked out places like CVS, Rite Aid, Dollar Tree, and Walgreens as they were/are constantly putting their candy on clearance. Some of the candy, I had a lot of, some I only had a pound of.

Some of my dishes were antiques that I had or picked up along the way, but most of them were simple clear bowls and vases that I picked up at dollar tree and walmart.

Here are some pictures of our buffet.

Picture002.jpg

Picture008.jpg

I just had a candy buffet at my wedding reception, it was HUGE hit! I bought a lot of my candy from http://www.economycandy.com/ There candy was fresh, and reasonably priced. I also checked out places like CVS, Rite Aid, Dollar Tree, and Walgreens as they were/are constantly putting their candy on clearance. Some of the candy, I had a lot of, some I only had a pound of.

Some of my dishes were antiques that I had or picked up along the way, but most of them were simple clear bowls and vases that I picked up at dollar tree and walmart.

Here are some pictures of our buffet.

Picture002.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Beautiful pictures:lovestruc i love how you used all the tullee....the idea of the cake cofetti is so fun...so even if it falls all over the ground no problem:thumbsup2
When I told my DH about how I was going to do this he looked at me like I was nuts:scared1: he just doesnt have any imagination:3dglasses

I spent an hour on the candy warehouse site...they even had everything in colors....I matched...yellow tones...purple tones and then I was ready to check out...and it would be 68.70 for shipping on a 105.00 order:scared1:

I do not know how expensive they are? But M&M's are now personalizing their candy. This would be a nice unique item.

I spent an hour on the candy warehouse site...they even had everything in colors....I matched...yellow tones...purple tones and then I was ready to check out...and it would be 68.70 for shipping on a 105.00 order:scared1:

You need a free shipping code...:surfweb: .

I had a candy buffet at my wedding...it was the biggest hit! I used all different vases, bowls, etc. I also used white paper lunch bags with a printed label on them. For scoops I used large serving spoons that I bought at the dollar store. I had 2 picture frames that said "Lauren and Tom's Sweet Shoppe - Grab a bag, fill it up and remember, Love is sweet!" and the menu of items listed.

I used groovy candies dot com...they were wonderful!

Here are some pics:

candybuffet.jpg

42251835412_0_BG.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter