• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canadian Buffoon's Hi Low Vacation - South Central Musings

Ours was eventful, but not in a good way. Woke up on the 26th to the sound of DD having a seizure. Called 911 and got her to the hospital right away. They kept her overnight, so she missed her first two days of her new position (within the same company) so she was upset about that. Her MRI, CAT scan And EEG all came out normal. But now she can't drive for 6 months, with the job being 40 miles away (just outside Boston, so lovely traffic too) and to say we are all thrown for a loop is an understatement. I blame the election (why not? Everyone else does!) I hope none of you parents out there ever have to witness your kid having a seizure-- it was the scariest thing we have ever been through. DD doesn't remember anything but waking up to a room full of EMT's and having a sore tongue. (Did I mention the blood on her face?)
I know all too well how terrifying it is. It happened to my family back in June. In our case, we know the cause. DD16 is type 1 diabetic and takes 4 insulin injections a day. She was diagnosed at age 12. We knew diabetic seizures were a possibility, but in 4 years she never had one and would always feel a low sugar coming on, even waking herself up in the middle of the night if one came on. Well, one night something changed (we suspect maybe the stress of studying for exams) and she didn't wake herself up in time to treat the low sugar. I happened to be lying in bed (luckily) not able to sleep. I heard DD get out of bed, trying to make it to some juice. Next I heard a bang, like somebody threw a brick on the floor - that was her head hitting the hardwood floor. I jumped out of bed to find her having a seizure. She chewed up her tongue too. One of the scariest parts was seeing a puddle of blood on the floor from the cuts on her tongue. Anyway, long story short, we called an ambulance, got her sugar stable, and luckily she had no concussion from the fall. She had to take antibiotics since her tongue got infected.

I hope you can find out what the cause was for your DD. It's certainly a scary thing.

Yippee! I can't wait to hear all about it. We're going to California in September and the last and only time I was there was in 5th grade, so it's been quite awhile.

:laughing: So you want a TR on that too, do you?

Sorry you had to wait so long, but glad you got the fast track to the park.

The least they could do! Hmpf! :snooty:

That was tricky, tricky.

Can't just give the contest away!

Great idea!

Would've been if I'd thought of it sooner!!

So cute! Can you dance like the Duke of Weasel Town too! That would have been super funny!

1. I actually thought about trying
to get his moves down, but... no time.
2. That's
Weselton!!

How could he not?

Well, it was pointed out that his
character wouldn't know me.

I did it for you!!

Oh no! Glad he made an appearance for you in the second parade!

I was pretty sure it would work out.
The road was almost completely
dry by the time the first parade started.
So I figured it would be okay for the second.

They were my favorite too.

Apparently those sparks were just a lucky accident, too.

That's a great magic shot. We got the three hitch hiking ghosts when we went in that spot.

Really! Huh.

:)

I thought they were incredible. I took some really neat shots on the monorail over space mountain off my phone.

Nice! Any you care to share?

It was! Love helping to spread the pixie dust.

Ugh! Well, I guess you need a new pair of shorts!

Done!

4 minutes

AK

YES

Yay

EE

FOTLK

YES

Harambe Market

Brick and Boo to you!

Noted.

Okay getting in my answers before you post the update.

Too late! I'm posting right now!!!!

Well, okay. I'll hold off just a bit.

Even though I am now retired I have been so busy with life stuff that I haven't had time to reply to your update.

I keep hearing that.
"I'm retired and busier than ever!"

So glad to hear that you are going to Disneyland with your daughter- I am going end of January beginning of February.

Darn, so we'll just miss each other by a couple of months.
Well, don't use it all up, okay?

Now to my answers:
1. What time does alarm go off - 6:43
2. Bus, Morning - what's the wait time - 6 1/2 minutes
3. Which park do I go to: AK
4. Rope drop - yes or no - yes - must use all the advantages that we can get.
5. Extra security - Yay
6. First ride of the day Expedition Everest
7. Which show do I see for the first time - Festival of the Lion King
8. Do I get asked for directions - yes - don't you always?
9. where do I have lunch - Flame tree bbq.
Bonus - did you see it - glad you got to be part of the parade since you were wearing a costume.
who took the photo - you did with your handy dandy remote & camera on tripod that you remembered to bring all the parts to.

Noted.

They know I'm nuts!

:lmao:

For my brother it was his first ever experience of Frozen and I think he found the experience quite overwhelming!

Really! Why?

You are used to the water...it comes with hanging out with mermaids.

I got nothing.
When you're right, you're right.

I thought you were about to break into poetry...alcoholic, indeed...I'm a pillar of the community I'll have you know

:rotfl:

which makes it all the more bizarre! Next year Alan can buy his own beer!

Yeah, Alan! Get your own soggy beer!

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Well... no. But nowhere near as traumatic as yours!

Ours was eventful, but not in a good way. Woke up on the 26th to the sound of DD having a seizure.

Oh. My. God. You must've been absolutely terrified.

Called 911 and got her to the hospital right away. They kept her overnight, so she missed her first two days of her new position (within the same company) so she was upset about that. Her MRI, CAT scan And EEG all came out normal. But now she can't drive for 6 months, with the job being 40 miles away (just outside Boston, so lovely traffic too) and to say we are all thrown for a loop is an understatement. I blame the election (why not? Everyone else does!) I hope none of you parents out there ever have to witness your kid having a seizure-- it was the scariest thing we have ever been through. DD doesn't remember anything but waking up to a room full of EMT's and having a sore tongue. (Did I mention the blood on her face?)

Was she dehydrated? Sugar okay?
Totally not a doctor or anything,
but that's the first thing that pops
into my head.

What a completely frightening incident! :hug:
I'm so sorry you guys had this happen.

I wonder if our resident nurse @Steppesister
has some thoughts?

So now we don't think we can go to Disney at the end of January, and will likely have to miss our Panama Canal cruise in March. At least I had the foresight to get the "cancel for any reason" insurance.

Awww... adding insult to injury.
Sorry to hear that too.

The weird thing is that she got a call yesterday from a company she interviewed with a year ago, in Providence to say the job opened up again if she'd like to interview, and (drum roll, please)....... It's on the bus line! We are crossing all our fingers and toes.

Oh! I sure hope that works out!
When will you hear news about it?

Happy holidays Pkondz!

Happy Holidays to you too! :)

Enjoying the TR as always.

Thanks! :goodvibes

Looking forward to a DL TR!

You too!?!?

Oy.

I don't know what shape
that one will take.
I know zero about DL.

I grew up going to DL, but haven't been since the stone ages (1983) before the advent of the parking lot conversion to DCA! I really should try and see it sometime!

I've never been.
So it'll all be new...
no matter how old!

Hijacking for a moment:

Good. That's what this is here for.

Hi popping in to wish all of you a happy and safe New Year we are off tonight for WDW:car: This vacation can't come soon enough any way have fun and stay safe.

Shoot! I'm only seeing this now!
Probably too late but... have a great trip!!

You know I've got Hinterland Who's Who's music stuck in my head now!

Then my work here is done.

There's a little bit of growing up in the 70's/80's Canadiana for our friends to the south! What's that you say, post a youtube link to share our cultural richness? Why yes, I suppose I could. :p

OMG. Talk about a blast from the past!!

None taken at all. I think of it as a term of endearment.

Good. That's the way it was meant.

Perhaps a muffled chuckle...

Sure, sure. Can't wake up the missus.

I know all too well how terrifying it is. It happened to my family back in June. In our case, we know the cause. DD16 is type 1 diabetic and takes 4 insulin injections a day. She was diagnosed at age 12. We knew diabetic seizures were a possibility, but in 4 years she never had one and would always feel a low sugar coming on, even waking herself up in the middle of the night if one came on. Well, one night something changed (we suspect maybe the stress of studying for exams) and she didn't wake herself up in time to treat the low sugar. I happened to be lying in bed (luckily) not able to sleep. I heard DD get out of bed, trying to make it to some juice. Next I heard a bang, like somebody threw a brick on the floor - that was her head hitting the hardwood floor. I jumped out of bed to find her having a seizure. She chewed up her tongue too. One of the scariest parts was seeing a puddle of blood on the floor from the cuts on her tongue. Anyway, long story short, we called an ambulance, got her sugar stable, and luckily she had no concussion from the fall. She had to take antibiotics since her tongue got infected.

I hope you can find out what the cause was for your DD. It's certainly a scary thing.

Wow. Scary stuff.
I was reading that out loud to Kay and she was going "ohhhhh...."

Thanks for sharing.

Dang it!!! Slow down!! :laughing:
Retract it and I'll give you bonus points!! :lmao:

Sorry too late! Besides, I got to wrap this one up, I'm now two months away from my last trip I get to take until we finish with the old house.

:wave:

Holiday time (i.e. Christmas time) was... tough.
But the trip was great!

How was your Christmas?
Aw! We had a great Christmas. We spent most of it out of town with family. The kids had a blast. It always go by so quickly. It was nice to come home though to a nice warm bed! We stay at my in laws and the keep the house frigid. We stay in a room over the garage and the temperature read 58 degrees each morning.
So glad you had a great trip! What did you cook for Christmas?

1. I actually thought about trying
to get his moves down, but... no time.
2. That's
Weselton!!
All of that totally gave me the giggles. I must be tired.
It was hard to multi quote on my phone, but I'm debating doing a trip report to share all the photos. I'm not really sure how to start though. Can I just write it in word with the pictures and then paste it? I have a snapfish account, but do all the pictures have to go through photobucket?

I wonder if our resident nurse @Steppesister
has some thoughts?

I am flattered at your confidence in my Baby Nurse skilz. I can only share what I learned in school and from personal experience with my own son a few months ago. Similar, yet not.

Hope everyone had a great holiday! Ours was eventful, but not in a good way. Woke up on the 26th to the sound of DD having a seizure. Called 911 and got her to the hospital right away. They kept her overnight, so she missed her first two days of her new position (within the same company) so she was upset about that. Her MRI, CAT scan And EEG all came out normal. But now she can't drive for 6 months, with the job being 40 miles away (just outside Boston, so lovely traffic too) and to say we are all thrown for a loop is an understatement. I blame the election (why not? Everyone else does!) I hope none of you parents out there ever have to witness your kid having a seizure-- it was the scariest thing we have ever been through. DD doesn't remember anything but waking up to a room full of EMT's and having a sore tongue. (Did I mention the blood on her face?)

So now we don't think we can go to Disney at the end of January, and will likely have to miss our Panama Canal cruise in March. At least I had the foresight to get the "cancel for any reason" insurance.

The weird thing is that she got a call yesterday from a company she interviewed with a year ago, in Providence to say the job opened up again if she'd like to interview, and (drum roll, please)....... It's on the bus line! We are crossing all our fingers and toes.

I'm afraid I don't know your name MHSweb79, but I was struck by your very terrifying story as well. I'm glad you felt like you could come here and share - we're all her to support you 100% and give you virtual hugs and listening ears. :)

We probably know more about the atmosphere of Venus than we do about seizures. They are still very much in research mode in this area of medicine. That said however, enough is known to make a fairly good diagnosis and the newest generation of meds to treat are actually very effective at keeping them away... sometimes completely even. I can't really comment on your daughters without asking more questions; the first that comes to mind would be if this is her first. My own son (18) had an absence seizure about 4 months ago, and they ran all the same tests they did on your daughter, but our neurologist was ADAMANT that he did not receive a dx of epilepsy until he had another, if ever. We were told that most seizures are an isolated event and never recur. Good news, obviously. Most docs will go with the wait and watch approach. So, honestly, I"m surprised she is on a no-driving protocol if this is a first time event. Then again, perhaps they are being more aggressive due to the TYPE of seizure it was? Again, not enough information for me to make an informed comment with.

Seizures are VERY scary. I've seen many in patients going through ETOH withdrawal. (Now, a small spiel on seizure response and safety as your nightly PSA)

The best thing to do is make sure the person is gently guided to the floor and turn them on their side so they don't choke on their tongue or saliva. Clear furniture away as best you can so they don't have secondary injuries from hitting themselves. YES, call 911. DO NOT try to stick anything in their mouth; very dangerous as they can swallow that and choke or can injure the mouth worse. Don't restrain them, but do be near. When it has finished, re-orient them to where they are. They will be confused, frightened, and may have bleeding, as you saw in both stories shared here. Take care of that. VERY IMPORTANT: The neurologist will NEED as much information about the seizure as s/he can get! This is huge. Knowing what the person was doing at the onset, how long it lasted (TIME IT!), what the patient looked like during it, (ie. did their eyes roll back? Did they shake the whole time? Did one side go limp before the other? etc...) and what their post-ictal state was like, can help them with the diagnosis and the best course of treatment.

So, probably more than you wanted, but that's your nursing teaching of the day.

MHS, I do hope your daughter has a complete recovery and gets the job that is absolutely best for her! She's in Good Hands. :) Keep us posted!

Nah. In real life I'm a horrible person.
Just ask anyone who's met me,
they'll tell you.

"pkondz? Oh, yes. Horrible.
The world would be a better place without him."

Oh, whatever! If I ever have the pleasure to meet you, I'll be sure to scream ( in delight) ;) haha!! (shameless plug for extra points)

Sorry too late! Besides, I got to wrap this one up, I'm now two months away from my last trip I get to take until we finish with the old house.

Well..... okay. You're forgiven.... this time.

Aw! We had a great Christmas. We spent most of it out of town with family. The kids had a blast. It always go by so quickly. It was nice to come home though to a nice warm bed! We stay at my in laws and the keep the house frigid. We stay in a room over the garage and the temperature read 58 degrees each morning.

Uh, oh. No staying here then.
I keep the house cold too.
Usually (in winter) around 61F/16C.
At night that is.
I warm it up to a blistering 64F/18
or even if I'm feeling generous 66F/19C during the day.

So glad you had a great trip! What did you cook for Christmas?

My mom made Tourtiere,
I made an old recipe called "Boulettes"
which you won't find no matter how much you Google
(well you will something, but it's not that),
riced potatoes, Caesar salad,
asparagus which I forgot to finish so got left behind,
and of course turkey, stuffing and gravy.
Except this year I did a bacon wrapped, maple glazed turkey....
sooooooo good.

All of that totally gave me the giggles. I must be tired.

:laughing:

It was hard to multi quote on my phone, but I'm debating doing a trip report to share all the photos. I'm not really sure how to start though. Can I just write it in word with the pictures and then paste it? I have a snapfish account, but do all the pictures have to go through photobucket?

Oh! Well, then do one!
You can do it in word,
but you'll pretty much have to do the photos on the DIS
unless you know the formatting.
I tend to do it all on the DIS,
and then click the "BB Code Editor" in the top right corner
and then copy it all to a Word document for saving.
I don't know about Snapfish since I don't use it,
but it would probably work. Maybe others would know.
Try it and see!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter