Canada's new Prime Minister's stance on Terrorism given the attacks in Paris

So why did they emigrate? To escape joblessness? Famine? Something else?
I believe it was something else.
EMIGRATE
intransitive verb
: to leave one's place of residence or country to live elsewhere <emigrated from Canada to the United States>

Maybe I'm wrong, but to emigrate and to be a refugee are two different things. My great grandparents emigrated. Jews were refugees fleeing annihilation. There's a difference. My great grandparents went through all proper channels to be here. Refugees have to go through a process, but it's much different, quicker and not so thorough (to my understanding. If I'm wrong I'm 100% sure it will be corrected).
Sorry you are so disconnected and confused by my answer.
Ok I'll play. You don't think those who help radicalize should be held accountable? If the govt. is overwhelmed (as you say) Then shouldn't those who see what's going on report it since the govt can't see it?

I'm talking about bringing people over to America right now and for the foreseeable future. It is simply too dangerous of a world we live in right now.

I hope you thank your lucky stars every day for you and your family not having the misfortune and fate of been born into one of these countries.

Maybe I'm wrong, but to emigrate and to be a refugee are two different things.

Your definition is incomplete. Refugees are attempting to emigrate, but not everyone who emigrates is a refugee. The process doesn't change that one is attempting to emigrate.

I'm very blessed to live in America. I do thank the Lord each and every day. I also thank our men & women in the military who help keep my family safe. I'm thankful that France had a quick military response against the killers. Until we can control the threat, I don't want to take any chances by bringing in people who could potentially do us harm.

Your definition is incomplete. Refugees are attempting to emigrate, but not everyone who emigrates is a refugee. The process doesn't change that one is attempting to emigrate.
Okay, but another poster was implying that unless you are a Native American you were a refugee. I was just trying to explain not all immigrants are refugees. That's all.

I hear a common theme on hear and other media and that is we may very well have homegrown terrorists already in our borders(our meaning any free nation in the world) so letting refuges in really shouldn't be an issue.
That is probably 100% correct on homegrown terrorist but here is what most don't understand. Your country knows 99% of these homegrown terrorists, you country doesn't know and will not know anything about these refugees.

Letting refugees in any country right now is just plain dumb. You are jeopardizing the safety of your own people for those from another country. That right there is a slap in the face. You want to see a country go crazy, wait for another ISIS attack and have one of them be a refugee, that will cause a scene like nobody has ever seen before. I just hope that this never happens again but my gut is telling me otherwise.

I have no problem taking in the people ISIS is persecuting. The Yizidi's, the Christians etc....young Syrian men of fighting age? Why aren't they joining the ranks and fighting ISIS?

My understanding is that because Syria has a mandatory military service requirement most will be conscripted into Assad's army if they stay. So yes, they may be fighting ISIS... Or they may be fighting the rebels who are fighting both ISIS and Assad. And they will be dealing with attacks against them not only from ISIS but also from the U.S. and other nations who are backing the rebels. That's why so many of the refugees are young men. While the women and children and elderly are in danger in areas of active combat, the young men just coming of age are in danger everywhere in Syria.

I hear a common theme on hear and other media and that is we may very well have homegrown terrorists already in our borders(our meaning any free nation in the world) so letting refuges in really shouldn't be an issue.
That is probably 100% correct on homegrown terrorist but here is what most don't understand. Your country knows 99% of these homegrown terrorists, you country doesn't know and will not know anything about these refugees.

Letting refugees in any country right now is just plain dumb. You are jeopardizing the safety of your own people for those from another country. That right there is a slap in the face. You want to see a country go crazy, wait for another ISIS attack and have one of them be a refugee, that will cause a scene like nobody has ever seen before. I just hope that this never happens again but my gut is telling me otherwise.

Serious question. If NO country is supposed to let these refugees in, what exactly should be done with the 14 million refugees....many of them fleeing certain death in their home countries. It sounds "nice" in theory (everyone close the borders) because we are far enough away that we don't see the result of not letting them in. But, there are 14 million of them What should we do? They are standing in front of you ...what do you tell them? Go back? Die quietly so we don't have to think about it?

Serious question. If NO country is supposed to let these refugees in, what exactly should be done with the 14 million refugees....many of them fleeing certain death in their home countries. It sounds "nice" in theory (everyone close the borders) because we are far enough away that we don't see the result of not letting them in. But, there are 14 million of them What should we do? They are standing in front of you ...what do you tell them? Go back? Die quietly so we don't have to think about it?
You vet them. No one is seriously doing that. They have to wait in holding areas and be vetted. If home is SO bad that you are fleeing (not saying it's not!) then having to wait in a holding area to be properly vetted should be fine with you.

So much for Lady Liberty and all that she embodies...

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.
....and a lovely portrait of her in your avi, I might add....

How many of those 14 million if that is the correct number have ties to terrorist groups? Even if it's .5% that's 70,000 you are allowing around the world. I'm not going to agree that we let them in so there's a chance that even 1 American, Canadian, Mexican, wherever could die. The number one job of a countries govt is to keep its people safe and allowing refugees in weakens a country and its people, period. I'm sorry you feel your fellow countrymen and women are not as important as people from a country you probably have zero ties too. Can you imagine how terrible France's PM must feel knowing he had a part in some of those killed the other night by agreeing to allow refugees in his country. This is assuming he had a say so in allowing them in. I'm not 100% sure how their govt makes decisions.

If these refugees had put a stop to these radical teachings before it started becoming a problem they wouldn't be in this situation. We have radical groups in America and so do many countries but we (govt and citizens) keep them in check.

You vet them. No one is seriously doing that. They have to wait in holding areas and be vetted. If home is SO bad that you are fleeing (not saying it's not!) then having to wait in a holding area to be properly vetted should be fine with you.
This is exactly what you do. First place I'd put them, Gitmo, and keep them isolated from the remaining detainees if there are any left there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter