Canada's new Prime Minister's stance on Terrorism given the attacks in Paris

To those who don't want refugees at all: do you understand that this is a life or death issue? These people are staying in camps, starving, sleeping on the ground, no medical help. They have no more belongings, they have no more homes, families are broken up and torn simply because they did not have the chance to be born here. We have everything here, we are lucky and privileged to live here and we need to help these people. I, for one, cannot go to sleep at night knowing that we are denying these people help when they really need it. The terrorists are ALREADY in every country. They don't need this refugee crisis to infiltrate, they are already in. Too many lives have been lost already and a "western" life is not more valuable than a "middle eastern" life.

Gitmo? You are going to put a million Syrian refugees in Gitmo? LOLOLOL. Right now, we've got something like 112 people there (high of 775). What you are talking about is many orders of magnitude larger. Oh, and the cost of Gitmo prisoners is north of $2 million dollars per year PER prisoner. Nice. Apparently, we've got tons more money in this country than I know about.
We now are taking a million refugees, that's news to me. I think you added a few zeros there, last I read it was 10,000 and they could use Gitmo as detention and processing center then release them into the country.
Taking in refugees isn't free. We either decide that their safety is worth us investing in them, or we decline to help them.
Thank you.
Does it matter, whether or not he was Syrian? So what, if the passport was faked...or not. He still used it to enter through Greece. How many others are arriving with fake passports, as Syrian Refugees? They told us, they were going to do this and they did. Why don't we believe them?
This is another reason why we don't need to just let them walk in. They all need to be checked out thoroughly no matter the cost. The safety of anybodies country is worth that.
To those who don't want refugees at all: do you understand that this is a life or death issue? These people are staying in camps, starving, sleeping on the ground, no medical help. They have no more belongings, they have no more homes, families are broken up and torn simply because they did not have the chance to be born here. We have everything here, we are lucky and privileged to live here and we need to help these people. I, for one, cannot go to sleep at night knowing that we are denying these people help when they really need it. The terrorists are ALREADY in every country. They don't need this refugee crisis to infiltrate, they are already in. Too many lives have been lost already and a "western" life is not more valuable than a "middle eastern" life.
I don't want refugees if we are just going to let them come into the country without being vetted. To me that is just plain dumb. Yes, we all know it is a matter of life and death. There are ways to help and just by taking all these refugees you aren't helping the situation which has caused them to leave in the first place. As for terrorists already everywhere, sure, they have people everywhere but they are known by those gov'ts. Letting more in is a BAD idea just like it was a bad idea when we brought people over here who had EBOLA. It's going to and did spread. That's like saying, well, one person has Ebola so we might as well just let others in who have it. No, they can come in once they are cured and not sick just like refugees can come in once we are 100% sure they have no terrorist ties.

Yes, what is happening is very bad and we all need to help but just pulling them out and letting them run free is going to cause so many problems. We can build safe areas, provide protection, food, water, etc... without bringing a millions out of their home land.

Does it matter, whether or not he was Syrian? So what, if the passport was faked...or not. He still used it to enter through Greece. How many others are arriving with fake passports, as Syrian Refugees? They told us, they were going to do this and they did. Why don't we believe them?
It matters a lot especially when the fact that he was up until recently believed to be a Syrian refugee. The fact that he was believed to be a Syrian refugee was the only reason why Canadians who were previously all for welcoming Syrian refugees into our country were suddenly getting nervous about that idea. Not that things are unfolding as they are it seems as though those fears are unewarrented because this suicide bomber was never a Syrian refugee at all. Don't you see that was ISIS intention all along? They want us to fear the refugees and then these poor people will be trapped.

Question: Does anybody know how it's been proposed to get 500 refugees per day to Canada? Syria is a long way from here. All our military transports put together would have a hard time with that capacity and I haven't heard of any commercial airlines stepping up. And that doesn't even begin to address how they would be chosen; mass airlifts out of the camps doesn't seem practical, not to mention who would do the "choosing". And where exactly are we bringing them to? Is there one single city in this entire nation that could effectively serve an influx of 500 "homeless" people in a single day, let alone every day until 25,000 are absorbed? This is NOT rhetorical - I'm really looking for answers here.

I don't know that Isis wants us to fear the refugees as much as they saw an opportunity. Thousands of refugees were fleeing to different countries and they seized on the chance to move their people through using fake Syrian passports and a diminished vetting process. In the rush to get everyone through, who was going to be able to tell who the "real" Syrian refugees were and who were the terrorists coming in with a fake Syrian passport? Does anyone doubt that they also have plans to send over more terrorists to the US and Canada with fake passports claiming to be refugees? Sure, maybe it's only a handful. But it's a handful with a purpose and that purpose isn't to lead a productive life in a new country.

I know we have homegrown terrorists already in our countries, but that doesn't mean we should add to the numbers. It only takes one suicide bomber to kill innocent people. People who are weary of bringing in thousands of refugees don't feel that way because they are uncaring and heartless, it's because they are also worried about what it brings to our children and families.

Question: Does anybody know how it's been proposed to get 500 refugees per day to Canada? Syria is a long way from here. All our military transports put together would have a hard time with that capacity and I haven't heard of any commercial airlines stepping up. And that doesn't even begin to address how they would be chosen; mass airlifts out of the camps doesn't seem practical, not to mention who would do the "choosing". And where exactly are we bringing them to? Is there one single city in this entire nation that could effectively serve an influx of 500 "homeless" people in a single day, let alone every day until 25,000 are absorbed? This is NOT rhetorical - I'm really looking for answers here.

I've read that they plan to use military transport (planes and ships) and there is talk about utilizing military bases to house them temporarily. It's not going to be easy...you've got that right. I believe the first refugees will all be people who have family here to act as a support structure.

So why did they emigrate? To escape joblessness? Famine? Something else?

My dh came to the US for college and stayed when he met me and got a job. We're now married with kids and he has US citizenship. Many people come to US and Canada who aren't poor and desperate. A friend of mine's husband was relocated by the multinational firm from Switzerland after the company merged with a US company. He was sent here to help with the merger. They are originally from England.

I've also read that Air Canada has offered their services as well.

It matters a lot especially when the fact that he was up until recently believed to be a Syrian refugee. The fact that he was believed to be a Syrian refugee was the only reason why Canadians who were previously all for welcoming Syrian refugees into our country were suddenly getting nervous about that idea. Not that things are unfolding as they are it seems as though those fears are unewarrented because this suicide bomber was never a Syrian refugee at all. Don't you see that was ISIS intention all along? They want us to fear the refugees and then these poor people will be trapped.
Huh? You feel better, that he wasn't an actual Syrian? He was allowed entry as a Syrian refugee. He had documentation. It doesn't really matter, if they are Syrian or not. They told us they were entering with the refugees...and they did and are.

Don't you see that was ISIS intention all along? They want us to fear the refugees and then these poor people will be trapped.
Wouldn't that be counterproductive to ISIS if they wanted to slip their people in?

Bottom line, we don't yet know why he had a Syrian passport on him. It's all speculation at this point. French Intelligence will no doubt have some answers, though, in the weeks to come once they analyze home computers and such. Maybe it was part of a ruse, and maybe it wasn't. Who knows.

Not trying to get off topic but just read that Michigan, Louisiana, Indiana, and Texas governors have stated they will not accept any refugees at this time. Louisiana supposedly is the first place they planned on bringing the refugees to. From one source some refugees have already been brought in but I can't confirm that with other sources.

Pretty much the same from all 4. They are stating their first priority is the safety of the people that elected them governor. They appear to be willing to reopen to refugees once the gov't assures that all possible safety measures are taken before bringing them into this country.

Not trying to get off topic but just read that Michigan, Louisiana, Indiana, and Texas governors have stated they will not accept any refugees at this time. Louisiana supposedly is the first place they planned on bringing the refugees to. From one source some refugees have already been brought in but I can't confirm that with other sources.

Pretty much the same from all 4. They are stating their first priority is the safety of the people that elected them governor. They appear to be willing to reopen to refugees once the gov't assures that all possible safety measures are taken before bringing them into this country.
They may not have a choice.

Yes, the crisis is horrible and yes, we are lucky and privileged to live here. One of the reasons we are so lucky to live here is the fact that it is peaceful and safe, and that is the very thing you are risking by allowing unknown people from that area especially into our country. If you can't go to sleep at night knowing that we aren't helping, where does it end? You know there are millions of people around the Middle East, Africa, etc that are living absolutely horrific lives compared to ours...will you not sleep at night until they are all in Canada? How would that work? You ask if a western life is more valuable than a middle eastern life, I would turn it around and ask you: Is a Syrian life more valuable than a Canadian life? I say no, so I wouldn't knowingly put anyone else at risk. And yes, it is a risk. A glaring, red-flag-waving, blatantly obvious risk.

A glaring, red-flag-waving, blatantly obvious risk.

Every immigrant or visitor, from anywhere is a risk. How do you know when I take a day trip to New York State, that I'm not a mentally ill person that will have a psychotic episode and kill some people at the outlet mall?

I have a Canadian Passport, that allows me to enter the USA with very little background check, but these refugees will certainly be receiving more screening than I would at a border crossing.

Personally I'm all for my government helping a reasonable amount of these refugees. There is very little risk, especially is the agencies which our tax dollars fund are doing their jobs.

Yes, the crisis is horrible and yes, we are lucky and privileged to live here. One of the reasons we are so lucky to live here is the fact that it is peaceful and safe, and that is the very thing you are risking by allowing unknown people from that area especially into our country. If you can't go to sleep at night knowing that we aren't helping, where does it end? You know there are millions of people around the Middle East, Africa, etc that are living absolutely horrific lives compared to ours...will you not sleep at night until they are all in Canada? How would that work? You ask if a western life is more valuable than a middle eastern life, I would turn it around and ask you: Is a Syrian life more valuable than a Canadian life? I say no, so I wouldn't knowingly put anyone else at risk. And yes, it is a risk. A glaring, red-flag-waving, blatantly obvious risk.

So basically, you are saying that we are safe here because we don't have immigration or refugees? I'm not understanding your point, since it's pretty clear that Canada has always been one of the more welcoming country in the western world in regards to immigration and refugees.

Here is a link presenting a summary of refugees coming to Canada since 1779. It's seems pretty clear that even though refugees come to Canada regularly from crises all around the world, our society is *still* peaceful and safe.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/timeline.asp
ETA: From this link, a very telling conclusion: Each year, Canada provides asylum to more than 10,000 persecuted persons and welcomes another 12,000 refugees from abroad.

We should never be paralyzed by fear. Terrorists can attack anywhere, they don't need the refugees's cover to infiltrate western countries as we've seen in the last years. I refuse to live in fear. These refugees are fleeing the same enemy that attacked Paris.

I didn't think what I wrote was confusing, and it has nothing to do with refugees or immigrants "in general". I am well aware that Canada is welcoming to immigrants and I have no problem with that. However, I believe it is wise to put a temporary halt on immigrants and refugees from a part of world that has decided to wage war on us, and who we know are not above using the refugee crisis to gain access to our country. That's what I think is smart, you don't have to agree. I would rather protect the lives of the Canadians already here (which includes immigrants and refugees who have already fled the horror). No reason to risk importing it here. Risks can come out of left field and we can't guard against everything, however, the risks we do know about we can try to minimize. I know it is only a "what if", and even a "long shot what-if" to boot, but not a game I would personally play. Not that it really matters of course because I think our Prime Minister has already made up his mind.

I have a Canadian Passport, that allows me to enter the USA with very little background check, but these refugees will certainly be receiving more screening than I would at a border crossing.

Canada is pretty tough on Americans who have any criminal conviction - even for minor drug convictions or for DUI. However, it's also a matter of having relatively easy access to American criminal databases.

I didn't think what I wrote was confusing, and it has nothing to do with refugees or immigrants "in general". I am well aware that Canada is welcoming to immigrants and I have no problem with that. However, I believe it is wise to put a temporary halt on immigrants and refugees from a part of world that has decided to wage war on us, and who we know are not above using the refugee crisis to gain access to our country. That's what I think is smart, you don't have to agree. I would rather protect the lives of the Canadians already here (which includes immigrants and refugees who have already fled the horror). No reason to risk importing it here. Risks can come out of left field and we can't guard against everything, however, the risks we do know about we can try to minimize. I know it is only a "what if", and even a "long shot what-if" to boot, but not a game I would personally play. Not that it really matters of course because I think our Prime Minister has already made up his mind.

If you screen foreigners trying to filter out terrorists, the terrorists win. If we do nothing different at all, even when a new risk becomes apparent, they lose.

At least I think that's how it works. I'll have to check this rule book people are referencing before saying for sure.

They may not have a choice.
It's been a while since I took gov't but I remember them having a choice unless a law is passed through Congress stating otherwise. The federal gov't cannot make the state gov't do something they do not want unless it is passed as a law from Congress. Maybe this is not true but I thought it was.

And to those who are listening to the govt talk about vetting all refugees, it can't be done. They are not telling you the truth. There can possibly be no vetting since there is no database on its people in Syria. Basically, the so called vetting or screening will be finger prints, names and probably ask the question "do you have ties to any terrorist groups" That is about all they can do.

How would they even screen people? Not like you can call Syria and find out their backgrounds. ISIS has said they will infiltrate countries by posing as refugees. What more do people need to hear before they realize letting thousands in to either Canada or the US is not a great idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter