Can you take prenatal vitamins if you aren't pregnant?

PrincessElena

Mouseketeer
My friend recently started to take prenatal vitamins to help with hair, nail, skin, etc. But she isn't pregnant. I'm intrigued by taking this as well. Is it healthy for you? Wouldn't it be too much for one person who isn't trying to provide for two?

They made me feel very sick. It could have been because of the pregnancy hormones, idk.

Some vitamins are water soluble - our bodies take what they need and discard the rest. But some are fat soluble - they get stored. I, personally, would hesitate to take more of the fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) than were recommended, and what's recommended is either via food, or an adult-appropriate vitamin. ymmv

I took prenatal vitamins while trying to get pregnant with my 2nd. Over a year, no problems. Many women also continue to take them after giving birth.

I'm not sure about the cosmetic benefits. Every person reacts differently. My hair fell out while pregnant & my nails were horribly dry & brittle while taking them. Afterwards, my nails always did much better. Everybody's body is different.

they have more stuff to keep your skin and hair looking good during your 9 months they also have stuff that helps the baby which you don't need if you don't have a bun in the oven. I still have the pills but I only took them when I was expecting

Not sure about current standards, but many doctors used to recommend prenatal vitamins even before pregnancy, mainly for folic acid. Folic acid is critical in early pregnancy, when many women don't know they're pregnant. All you'd have to do is compare the labels. I doubt there's much "in there" that would be a problem.

Not sure about current standards, but many doctors used to recommend prenatal vitamins even before pregnancy, mainly for folic acid. Folic acid is critical in early pregnancy, when many women don't know they're pregnant. All you'd have to do is compare the labels. I doubt there's much "in there" that would be a problem.
It may be different if you're trying to become pregnant.

OK, decided to see what the medical literature has to say about it.

From Mayo Clinic:

Is it OK to take prenatal vitamins if I'm not pregnant, and I don't plan to become pregnant?

You may be tempted to take prenatal vitamins because of unproven claims that they promote thicker hair and stronger nails. However, if you're not pregnant and not planning to become pregnant, high levels of certain nutrients over a long period of time may actually be more harmful than helpful.

Prenatal vitamins are formulated specifically for women who are pregnant or trying to become pregnant, and women who are breast-feeding, with particular emphasis on:

• Folic acid. To reduce the risk of having a child with neural tube defects, women who are trying to become pregnant should get 600 micrograms (mcg) of folate or folic acid a day through diet and supplements. Other healthy adults — both men and women — need only 400 mcg a day. While uncommon, getting too much folic acid by taking supplements can mask the symptoms of vitamin B–12 deficiency and delay diagnosis and treatment.
  • Iron. During pregnancy, the recommended intake of iron is 27 milligrams (mg) a day. Women between the ages of 19 and 50 who aren't pregnant need only 18 mg a day, and women age 51 and older and all adult men need only 8 mg a day. Getting too much iron can be toxic because it can build up in your body, causing constipation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and, in severe cases, possibly death.
  • Calcium. Pregnant adult women and healthy men and women ages 19 to 50 all need 1,000 mg a day. Men and women age 51 and older need 1,000 mg a day and 1,200 mg a day, respectively. Because prenatal vitamins are intended to supplement calcium you get in your diet, they generally contain only 200 to 300 mg of calcium. If you rely on prenatal vitamins to meet your calcium needs, you likely won't get enough, raising your risk of osteoporosis and other health problems.
Generally, if you eat a healthy, well-balanced diet, taking multivitamins of any sort isn't necessary.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...expert-answers/prenatal-vitamins/faq-20057922

Not sure if there is any harm in it. She should speak to her doctor. It's been a long time since I was pregnant and I took a prescription prenatal vitamin. I honestly didn't know you could get them OTC.

I think the main difference between a regular women's vitamin and prenatal is the amount of folic acid, iron and calcium.

It may be different if you're trying to become pregnant.

The physiological safety of a prenatal vitamin isn't dependent on trying to conceive. Something like 50% of pregnancies are unintended, so it's actually a bigger issue for those who may accidentally become pregnant because they're the ones more at risk for a folic acid deficiency. I'm not saying someone should take them, but if they're considering it they should understand what's in them, their comparison to a multivitamin, and their own nutritional status.

My doctor says you can can take them anytime but suggests just getting a women's multi-vitamin with iron and a calcium supplement. Prenatals are horse pills & you can get some really good tasting gummies that are a lot easier to take.

The physiological safety of a prenatal vitamin isn't dependent on trying to conceive.
Yes, it just helps to assure that adequate stores are in place should a pregnancy occur. I wasn't trying to convey anything else.

I was told by my doctors that all women of child bearing age should be taking pre-natals on the off chance of them becoming pregnant. So yes, it is recommended.

I couldn't take them when I was pregnant, too much iron. I had a very healthy pregnancy, very healthy child without them so it wasn't an issue. I would think if you just eat right and maybe take a good multi-vitamin or a supplement of whatever you aren't getting through your diet you would obtain the same results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter