Can we do this?

deedeetoo

DIS Veteran
First of all, I want to emphasis that we are not trying to break the rules though I know that some will take it that way. I just want to know if this is OK.

We will be going to WDW next year the same time as the my sister's family. Both families are 2 adults and 2 children. None of us are big eaters. We generally do 3-4 TS meals/wk and tend to eat CS more often. We are wondering if it would be OK for one family to get the meal plan and then share the credits with the other family. For example, if we go for 7 days and we get the plan then we will have 28 TS credits. Can we use this for three meals for all 8 of us and then 1 meal for just the 4 in our family. Would they allow us to take 8 TS off one person's card? Then we could do a similar sharing with the CS credits. Off course we would end up buying quite a few CS meals out of pocket.

If this is breaking the rules please don't lecture. Just tell me it not allowed. And please don't make up that it's not allowed just because you personally don't think its right.

I love all your disclaimers... it's needed here!

There's a good chance that the CM would resist letting you take 8 credits off on one transaction. What may work is to ask for seperate checks and then use the dining plan room's cards to pay for them... does that make sense (since the room would have 2 adults and each card would be marked 2A 2C?

Okay now be prepared for all the lecturing to begin on both of us.

deedeetoo said:
First of all, I want to emphasis that we are not trying to break the rules though I know that some will take it that way. I just want to know if this is OK.

We will be going to WDW next year the same time as the my sister's family. Both families are 2 adults and 2 children. None of us are big eaters. We generally do 3-4 TS meals/wk and tend to eat CS more often. We are wondering if it would be OK for one family to get the meal plan and then share the credits with the other family. For example, if we go for 7 days and we get the plan then we will have 28 TS credits. Can we use this for three meals for all 8 of us and then 1 meal for just the 4 in our family. Would they allow us to take 8 TS off one person's card? Then we could do a similar sharing with the CS credits. Off course we would end up buying quite a few CS meals out of pocket.

If this is breaking the rules please don't lecture. Just tell me it not allowed. And please don't make up that it's not allowed just because you personally don't think its right.

The real, straight answer: maybe. What it's coming down to is different people being told different things between various restaurants, CM's, even different servers at the same restaurant on the same day. I keep calling to change my ADR's and I've asked if two adults can share one adult meal if they are on the DP and every CM has told me something a little different - yes, no, yes but only if you pay OOP, of course you can no matter what, you paid for the meal outright even if you paid for the DP, it's yours to use as you like, you name it. I think the best thing to do is not count on it, bring enough money to pay for every meal, and then you are prepared for those who say no, and if some say yes, you lucked out.

Probably not. Disney seems to be working on programming to prevent exactly this - sharing credits with non-participants. But there's no absolute date when this will go into effect, or if it will work.

it is all in interpretation and i dont mean ours we can make all the interpretations we want, our interpretations dont matter....

Some people have done this, encouraged others to do this, been told by CM's to do this....This was before. Other's have been stopped from doing this for various reasons ... being denied the ability to order more adult meals or more kid meals or more total meals than were listed on their card as in their reservation...wether the cm is worrying over the fact that you might have been able to use saved child credits to pay for these extra adults (one person was accused of this and while it wasnt the case, she couldnt prove that). Still people are still reporting having done this without a hitch recently.

So who's interpretation am I talking about? The CM taking your card to ring up your meal or that cm's boss or restaurant. It seems Disney has left some leway in interpretation/implementation to the individual restaurants. So their interpretation of if you can order more meals than your party size...especially when due to their interpretation of non transferrable, Kid adult credits, and number allowed.

So then we come down to interpretation of your question - the word allowed - will you be allowed to do it - possibly. is it right or wrong ... i really am not sure. think about it and if you think it is right then go for it but dont be surprised if you get told at one restaurant it's fine and at the next no you cant....if all goes well great....if you dont want to count on anything with that kind of uncertainty then plan another way.

The Dining Plan is non-transferable. Disney relies on the integrity of their guests to comply with that. As you said, you're not looking to break the rules, so no, you cannot use your Dining Plan credits to feed folks who aren't registered in your hotel reservation as part of your party.

deedeetoo said:

It seems here that the rules are unfortunately working against you. What you are asking to do is probably not a problem for Disney since you are all on site and you don't want to use more credits than you have or anything. Unfortunately the rules that try to keep people from treating off site guests may prevent you from doing this. I think the suggestion to have 2 checks will be fine. Then you could give the other party one of your cards and you could both give a card to the server. Though, the cards probably will have different names on them (one husband, one wife) and the server probably won't question it at all. The two separate checks should not be a problem because they would have to do that with 2 DDPs or 1 DDP and one cash.

Now of course, some on here will lecture you and give you the short "NO It ISN'T ALLOWED" but I wouldn't worry about it. It isn't like your stealing anything. Disney isn't losing money so in my opinion go for it but be prepared that you may get a hassle from some CMs (but I doubt it).

Unfortunately, it is specifically stated that credits are non-transferrable. So, no, what you're planning to do is not allowed and, if you do it, it would be breaking the rules.

Okay so we have the rule police telling you the policy and as stated with your post, no you can't do that. But since we want to stick to the rules, you can't share (transfer) your credits. However, it doesn't say that you can't share/transfer your food. So use your credits to buy 2 meals for yourself. You can use them when you like right. Then once you get your two meals you realize you just ordered too darn much and have to give your friends your second meal.

People here get too lost in the details and don't seem to think about what the rule really means. Non-transferrable means you can't sell them or give them to someone else. In your case, Disney may be able to sell more TS if you don't use the credits for the other party, but will they really care? I doubt it.

Sorry though that I like to :stir:

To the OP. If your question is "can this be done within the stated rules of the plan" then the answer would appear to be no. Non transferable is non transferable, the park ticket analogy is a good one to use here.

If on the other hand your definition of can this be done is "what can I get away with regardless of the stated rules" then others have posted some creative suggestions that might work. Though the cards do have the same ID number on them except for the last two digits. They increment by 1 for each guest on the reservation.

frayedend said:
People here get too lost in the details and don't seem to think about what the rule really means. Non-transferrable means you can't sell them or give them to someone else. In your case, Disney may be able to sell more TS if you don't use the credits for the other party, but will they really care? I doubt it.

Part of the reason for the non transferrable is that the whole goal of the plan is to keep people on site. They do that by requiring you purchase it for everyone in your reservation for the length of stay. By splitting the DP between two groups you are in effect each purchasing a dinning plan for half a stay. While these folk may be staying on site the entire time others doing the same thing could, dare I say it, go off site and spend money somewhere other than Disney. Thus the requirement for length of stay and everyone on the resservation.

Having said that if a persons view of the world is that rules are only rules if there is an iron clad enforcement mechanism and if Disney isn't loosing money then it isn't a " real" rule the creative ways that people have mentioned here may work.

Pedler said:
Part of the reason for the non transferrable is that the whole goal of the plan is to keep people on site. They do that by requiring you purchase it for everyone in your reservation for the length of stay. By splitting the DP between two groups you are in effect each purchasing a dinning plan for half a stay. While these folk may be staying on site the entire time others doing the same thing could, dare I say it, go off site and spend money somewhere other than Disney. Thus the requirement for length of stay and everyone on the resservation.

Having said that if a persons view of the world is that rules are only rules if there is an iron clad enforcement mechanism and if Disney isn't loosing money then it isn't a " real" rule the creative ways that people have mentioned here may work.

You make some good points. I do agree somewhat. But also, coming from a family of business owners I will say that our stance in every aspect of the businesses we are involved in is this: We have rules. They are there to prevent loss of revenue to us. However, if you plan on doing something that technically breaks the rule, but doesn't really result in lost revenue for us, go right ahead.

This kind of goes along with enforcement. Yes something may be a rule and yes I guess I am saying "if it isn't enforced then it isn't a real rule" but the reason is that if it isn't enforced then it probably isn't a big deal.

My entire philosophy for anyone comes down to this. Whatever you would like to do, be it share, pay oop, order adult for a child, give it a try and be prepared to pay cash if they don't allow it. If my kid wants an adult meal I will order it and give them my card. If they say I can't do that, I'll say, "oh, no problem I'll pay cash for his meal." End of story. :)

frayedend said:
You make some good points. I do agree somewhat. But also, coming from a family of business owners I will say that our stance in every aspect of the businesses we are involved in is this: We have rules. They are there to prevent loss of revenue to us. However, if you plan on doing something that technically breaks the rule, but doesn't really result in lost revenue for us, go right ahead.

I think many of the creative uses of the dinning plan probably do result in lost revenues for Disney. Note I said lost revenue not that they are losing money. I think it is clear that their goal is to take every vacation dollar you are going to spend and then some. That giant sucking sound you hear is Scrooge McDuck running the vacuum cleaner on your wallet. :rotfl2:

To that end the dinning plan and Magical Express have worked well for Disney. Per capita spending is up.

This kind of goes along with enforcement. Yes something may be a rule and yes I guess I am saying "if it isn't enforced then it isn't a real rule" but the reason is that if it isn't enforced then it probably isn't a big deal.

I appreciate your honesty on this. I don't have a problem with people breaking the rules as long as they don't present it to others as something other than breaking the rules. That causes confusion for the lurkers here that want to save money and follow the rules as well. I for one don't feel I can throw around the whole immoral thing seeing as I do break the speed limit on a regular basis. I admit I am breaking a rule to benefit myself and don't try to rationalize it by saying they don't pull you over for only doing 5-7 miles over the speed limit, or that everyone is doing it, or I need to get there faster. In the end I am breaking the speed limit just to benefit myself.

This is a easy one.. Just don't get on the DDP and pay for your meals yourself. This way you can share and not break any rules :thumbsup2

Pedler said:
I think many of the creative uses of the dinning plan probably do result in lost revenues for Disney. Note I said lost revenue not that they are losing money. I think it is clear that their goal is to take every vacation dollar you are going to spend and then some. That giant sucking sound you hear is Scrooge McDuck running the vacuum cleaner on your wallet. :rotfl2:

To that end the dinning plan and Magical Express have worked well for Disney. Per capita spending is up.

I appreciate your honesty on this. I don't have a problem with people breaking the rules as long as they don't present it to others as something other than breaking the rules. That causes confusion for the lurkers here that want to save money and follow the rules as well. I for one don't feel I can throw around the whole immoral thing seeing as I do break the speed limit on a regular basis. I admit I am breaking a rule to benefit myself and don't try to rationalize it by saying they don't pull you over for only doing 5-7 miles over the speed limit, or that everyone is doing it, or I need to get there faster. In the end I am breaking the speed limit just to benefit myself.

Yup, I'll admit it. If they give me an adult meal for my child on the plan I will not tell them that I need to pay. I will of course be breaking the rules for my own benefit. And the CM will be breaking the rules too, for my benefit (thanks CM :) ) But I really can't see myself saying "Uh, no I have to pay for that because he is a child and that is a chicken strip, not a nugget" Of course I won't tell the cop that pulls me over "I ran that stop sign too officer" eeither ;)

:)

frayedend said:
Yup, I'll admit it. If they give me an adult meal for my child on the plan I will not tell them that I need to pay. I will of course be breaking the rules for my own benefit. And the CM will be breaking the rules too, for my benefit (thanks CM :) ) But I really can't see myself saying "Uh, no I have to pay for that because he is a child and that is a chicken strip, not a nugget" Of course I won't tell the cop that pulls me over "I ran that stop sign too officer" eeither ;)

:)

Just tell him that the eight sided stop signs are optional. :lmao:

Pedler said:
Just tell him that the eight sided stop signs are optional. :lmao:

And you can tell him that the definition of limit is as follows:

The greatest or least amount, number, or extent allowed or possible.

And you assumed that was the lower limit of 65 and wanted to make sure you were well above the lower limit :rotfl2:

frayedend said:
And you can tell him that the definition of limit is as follows:

The greatest or least amount, number, or extent allowed or possible.

And you assumed that was the lower limit of 65 and wanted to make sure you were well above the lower limit :rotfl2:

Excellent point. I would hate to be violating the law by driving under the amount posted. pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter