Can Overweight People Ride the Rides?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes!! Thank goodness being "Pooh sized" at DW doesn't mean you have to sit back and watch everyone else have a good time. The only thing that may be a little tight are some of those turnstiles! Go and have a good time!! And congrats on your weight loss!:thumbsup2:banana:

One suggestion I have for anybody going to WDw - no matter your size -is to think about all the walking. It's ALL day at WDW. If you are able to go for walks each day, I strongly advise it. Even if you plan on getting scooter for help, the more you can get in shape before you go the more fun you'll have. If you can go for 30 - 60 minutes walks every day before your go ofr at least a month, you'll really appreciate it at WDW. plus you'll lose more weight!

Make certain everyone has the great walking shoes. Don't skimp! Break them in, but get something really meant for running or walking (I prefer great running shoes) - and I prefer to have at least one pair of high quality sandals and one pair of sneakers to trade off. A good pair of shoes will double your endurance - seriously! no matter how good a pair of shoes, you will need to be able to trade them off with another pair. A third pair of pool type shoes can be good for water rides and the pool. (OR if your sandals are okay with getting wet. Never wear sneakers on Kali!)

Have a great trip!

congrats on your weight loss...i too battle with my weight everyday and surely know how difficult the fight can be...anyway have an awesome trip

Ditto on the great walking shoes. I have to wear sneakers when I go--preferably Asics or New Balance. My feet have to be comfortable.

With so much talk lately about airlines and Pooh size, how do people handle that. Not to hijack the thread but I always wonder. Taking my first flight since Nov '01 in Sept and I am a size 22W. I would be mortified if they came up to me and asked me to buy another seat. I am in the process of losing weight. In December thanks to the economy I stopped buying all fast food. I cut my soda intake to 1 a day (I need the caffeine and can't drink coffee because its too much caffeine, weird I know but a can of coke has 34 mg of caffeine and a cup of coffee has 90) When I went to the Dr in early Feb I found out I had lost 25 lbs. That got me going, if I could lose without really trying imagine what I could do when I set my mind to it. I am doing everything in moderation and starting to walk more. I have 5 months and I know I can easily lose another 50 but am still worried about taking a plane. Any experiences?

With so much talk lately about airlines and Pooh size, how do people handle that.

I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. You may feel a bit squished (but then again, who is comfortable on a plane?) but I don't think you're in any danger of needing an extra seat.

You really don't get into "consider an extra seat" category until you're about a 26W on the bottom. This is, of course, totally unscientific, but in my experience, that's about when it starts. I take a 26/26W on the bottom and I'm right on the border of needing one, depending on which airline/aircraft. I go ahead and book an extra for my (and everyone else's) comfort, but on some airlines I don't technically have to.

The standard for the airlines is that you must be able to put the armrest down and that no part of your bottom intrudes upon your neighbor's seat. They don't count your upper body, just your bottom. The rationale on that (at least as explained by Southwest) is that you can twist your shoulders around and adjust your position, but your bottom is pretty much a fixed point in an airline seat.

At 22W, I don't think you'll get anywhere near being too big for one seat.

Thanks so much for the reply. My DD16 will also be traveling with me so I won't be bothering others by being in their space. She is a size 9 so I am not concerned. This is probably the main reason I don't fly because I would be so embarrassed if approached to purchase an extra seat. I won this trip to Scottsdale from Diet Pepsi and I just want to know what to expect when flying. I will tell you that being afraid of the airlines keeps me on track. LOL

I'm 6' 3", roughly 350 pounds, and I could ride everything I wanted to. I had more trouble with "leg room" than "body room", on the whole.

Life is Short so eat desert, have fun and most of all treat everyone the way you want to be treated

With so much talk lately about airlines and Pooh size, how do people handle that. Not to hijack the thread but I always wonder. Taking my first flight since Nov '01 in Sept and I am a size 22W. I would be mortified if they came up to me and asked me to buy another seat. I am in the process of losing weight. In December thanks to the economy I stopped buying all fast food. I cut my soda intake to 1 a day (I need the caffeine and can't drink coffee because its too much caffeine, weird I know but a can of coke has 34 mg of caffeine and a cup of coffee has 90) When I went to the Dr in early Feb I found out I had lost 25 lbs. That got me going, if I could lose without really trying imagine what I could do when I set my mind to it. I am doing everything in moderation and starting to walk more. I have 5 months and I know I can easily lose another 50 but am still worried about taking a plane. Any experiences?
I was a size 20 when I flew a couple years ago- On one of the flights the seat belt was tight. Really tight. But it closed. If I was just about 5 pounds more I don't think it would have. They do have belt extenders I found out about later on. Just wanted to throw that out there if the belt is tight- ask about the extender.

I would say the only real ride to avoid is the Astro Orbiter, it's a really tight fit.

Also, you might have trouble with "The Sum Of All Thrills" at Epcot.

Other than that you should be fine.

I went from a size 10 to a size 22w in the last 3 years due to extreme stress in my life, so I've done Disney on both sides of the issue.

I can still ride everything, but Sum of All thrills was INCREDIBLY tight. If I had weighed even 5 pounds more I would not have fit. Everything else was fine though.

One suggestion I have for anybody going to WDw - no matter your size -is to think about all the walking. It's ALL day at WDW. If you are able to go for walks each day, I strongly advise it. Even if you plan on getting scooter for help, the more you can get in shape before you go the more fun you'll have. If you can go for 30 - 60 minutes walks every day before your go ofr at least a month, you'll really appreciate it at WDW. plus you'll lose more weight!

Make certain everyone has the great walking shoes. Don't skimp! Break them in, but get something really meant for running or walking (I prefer great running shoes) - and I prefer to have at least one pair of high quality sandals and one pair of sneakers to trade off. A good pair of shoes will double your endurance - seriously! no matter how good a pair of shoes, you will need to be able to trade them off with another pair. A third pair of pool type shoes can be good for water rides and the pool. (OR if your sandals are okay with getting wet. Never wear sneakers on Kali!)

Have a great trip!

I agree about walking and getting into shape before Disney. I have several herniated discs, spinal stenosis, MS...most recently I've had a torn MCL, torn calf muscle, torn achilles and more. So at this point I use a motorized scooter. But if you plan on doing it on your feet, you really need to be in shape. I tried to not use a scooter in 2008, and the first night we had an hour wait for Peter Pan. I about died standing so long in one place. I will have to start walking and exercising extra hard before our next trip. I don't know when we'll go back, hoping for 2014. But it's really good idea to walk and stretch daily at least 3 months before the trip to get into shape.

One more thign occcurs to me when re reading this post...especially since being at WDW.

It doesn't seem to come up on the DIS, so I'm guessing it's not that much of an issue, but a few Fantasyland rides still have old fashioned turnstyles. A few of those seem a bit narrow to me. Like I said, I don't think I've ever seen it come up on the DIS, but they did seem narrow to me. PErhaps CM's havea way for guests to bypass them? I'm not sure. It's only a few attractions.

If you need to bypass the small turnstyle, just go thru the handicap one. It is large to fit wheelchairs. I do this all the time as well. I've never been in the way of a person in a wheelchair, I just smile and go through it. The workers always seem to understand and smile back. I've never had a problem doing that.

First of all congrats on your weight loss. As a pooh-sized woman that has had weight issues all my life, and an up & slightly down weight, I can appreciate your fears & concerns.

I'm 5'3" & wear 4x jeans. While I'm big all over, my biggest part of my body is tummy & butt. Due to my being short & my weight, I did have a bit of a problem on SSE getting on & off the seats. This ride is moving all the time, so it was definitely a challenge. I really had to struggle getting off & it was like popping a cork...lol. Getting off the Doom Buggy in the HM was a challenge as well due to a smaller space & a moving sidewalk.

I have a very bad knee, so use a wheelchair & then transfer after going thru turnstiles, so I can't help you there, other than to assure you that CMs are very discrete & also helpful in making the handicap entrance available as needed.

Have a great trip!!

First of all congrats on your weight loss. As a pooh-sized woman that has had weight issues all my life, and an up & slightly down weight, I can appreciate your fears & concerns.

I'm 5'3" & wear 4x jeans. While I'm big all over, my biggest part of my body is tummy & butt. Due to my being short & my weight, I did have a bit of a problem on SSE getting on & off the seats. This ride is moving all the time, so it was definitely a challenge. I really had to struggle getting off & it was like popping a cork...lol. Getting off the Doom Buggy in the HM was a challenge as well due to a smaller space & a moving sidewalk.

I have a very bad knee, so use a wheelchair & then transfer after going thru turnstiles, so I can't help you there, other than to assure you that CMs are very discrete & also helpful in making the handicap entrance available as needed.

Have a great trip!!

The OP was three years ago. ;)

My family and I have been planning our trip for over a year now. We are going this June (just 6 weeks away.) I've been working on my weight loss and have lost 60 lbs but am still considerably over weight. I'm tall (5'11") so i have that in my favor, but I'm still close to a 28-30W in clothes. Will I be able to fit on the rides? All the kids and husband are getting excited, but I can't help but be leary on the embarrassment if I can't fit on the rides. If anyone has any information on this, I would greatly appreciate it! Luckily I still have 6 weeks to continue my weight loss and hope to lose at least another 20 lbs by then.

I'm 5'1 22/24 waist. I've been to an amusement park where there was 1 ride I couldn't ride. I was so embarrassed, I went to the bathroom and cried. Was scared to try other rides because of this. So when we planned our first family vacation to Disney, I was extremely worried. But was worried over nothing. I agree teacups would be tight. But everything else I had room to spare :) . I made sure that I pulled the seat belt out of the way before I sat down and everything was fine. I can't help much on the leg room because I'm shooooort!! :) You will have a blast at WDW, and were going in June too for our second trip :banana:

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR :wishsixty

Congrats on losing 60pounds! You should be fine on all rides. The front seat of some attractions like Everest could be a bit uncomfortable. But other than that your good to go! And as much walking you'll do in Disney...you might lose 60 more! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter