• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can’t Modify Basic Package Online!

foodiddiedoo

DIS Veteran
I booked a full package for January 2025 at BLT a few weeks ago. I decided to upgrade my ticket to an Annual Pass since I’m doing a girl’s weekend in May and it’ll be enough days that it’s cheaper to have an AP. When I did that I had to call and ask them to remove the tickets from my package for the rest of my family. Once they converted me to a “basic package” my modify reservation button completely disappeared. I called both their IT desk and reservations who tried helping me with a lot of different scenarios to see if they could restore it (no luck even with rebooking me completely with a new basic package). The IT folks just said “call in when you need to make changes” and left it at that. This is super disappointing because if there happens to be an AP discount released later this year, I feel like I might completely miss out on the discount by the time I “get through” on the reservation line. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone else actually able to score a discount with a Basic Package and needing to call?

I've found if I can and either book or have a Disney TA change my reservation then I lose the opportunity to make updates myself.

You cannot book nor modify a basic package online. If you want to stick with a basic package once AP discounts are released, you will need to call to modify (if BLT is in the inventory). If you would rather not do that, simply book the AP discount as a room-only (obviously different deposits, terms and conditions) and cancel your basic package.

I’m at TA and even I can’t book/modify a basic package online…super frustrating especially when they offer great deals like the 4-Park Magic ticket from this summer. If your not needing the ticketless package, I would call in and cancel and just book room only!

That's literally what they did and it still doesn't let me modify online.
I mean for if/when a good AP offer comes along. Go ahead book that, then call to cancel the previous reservation. You will need to put deposit again but as long as the first reservation is in cancel window you’ll get all of that money back. I’m just not sure if there’s something I’m overlooking with this method.

I mean for if/when a good AP offer comes along. Go ahead book that, then call to cancel the previous reservation. You will need to put deposit again but as long as the first reservation is in cancel window you’ll get all of that money back. I’m just not sure if there’s something I’m overlooking with this method.
I think it's if my room type isn't available. Like my family wants theme park room 2 bedroom. So if I try and book again I don't see that room available right now.

Possibly this is intentional on Disney’s part then.

From a profit viewpoint, they’d want to lock in the person willing to pay full price to make sure they get the room. Only if there are no takers, then the discount. Waiting for the discount rolls the dice on who gets it, pushing people to consider paying full price to lock it in. Yeah Disney (along with most businesses nowadays) are getting more and more aggressive as the technology helps them do so.

I think it's if my room type isn't available. Like my family wants theme park room 2 bedroom. So if I try and book again I don't see that room available right now.

If the room type isn’t available at rack rate, there’s almost no chance it will be discounted. They don’t discount what is already fully booked. You could try to call & ask for your reservation to be made into room only. They might have to get guest services involved. And you would need to make the additional deposit right at that time. Also, theme park view is very popular at BLT. There are very limited rooms available as cash bookings, most of the hotel is booked by DVC members.

Last edited:
If I understand the post, the room isn’t even available at rack rate right now.
Yeah it's weird I can't book 1/18-1/25 and 1/17 seperataly with that room type but not as consecutive days. Oh well, not expecting a discount but would love to get one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter