Camera captured my car speeding...

JodiR

DIS Veteran
I got a ticket in the mail, addressed to my husband (his name is the registered owner). Does this go on anyone's insurance record? Does my husband now have an official ticket on his record? My sister could have been driving me that day. Never had this happen before.

Generally, no, they are not offenses that go against any one person's driving record or are reported to insurance. The ticket should contain information as to possibly a website to get more information about the ticket and about paying the ticket, and you should be able to find out if it goes on any records, but I've never heard of a traffic camera of any sort where the offenses get reported to insurance or go on your driving record.

depends on the state you live in.

check your state laws about them.

In some states, if you don't respond (by admitting who was driving) they cannot issue a moving violation.

in other states, some court decisions have deemed the red light cameras inaccurate because they sometimes lower the yellow light time, etc.

check various web sites before proceeding!

What does the ticket say? Are you getting points? Wouldn't that be reported to insurance?

We have gotten 2 of the "red light camera" tickets.

They didn't go on our insurance. It was basically a ticket against the car, since they can't prove who was driving, if that makes sense.

What does the ticket say? Are you getting points? Wouldn't that be reported to insurance?

In this state, all moving violations which give points automatically get reported to insurance companies. They've been doing this since I was getting speeding tickets back in the '80s, long before traffic cameras. Otherwise, the only purpose of points would be to rack them up to take your driver's license way. For insurance companies, that makes you a high risk driver to insure. And YES, they raise your insurance or drop you as a customer. Don't ask how I know. :rolleyes1

I *think* your DH can contest the ticket by asking for a closeup picture of of the driver. If he can show that a female was driving instead, it may change the violation somehow. However, the insurance company may still find out, as DH had given authorization to a reckless driver, and depending on the coverage he has, you'd still be covered as a alternate driver in the event of an accident. So, again, they my raise his rates.

They didn't go on our insurance. It was basically a ticket against the car, since they can't prove who was driving, if that makes sense.

That's pretty much it. The reason in our state that they're not allowed to go on your driver's license is that we are all regarded as innocent until proven guilty and the traffic cams can only prove that the car was speeding, not who was in the car at the time, hence the ticket cannot go against any one person.

Also, one's car is considered in the same light as one's domicile for many purposes, including search and seizure, and we are protected in the 4th amendment from unreasonable searches and given the expectation of privacy, if I'm not mistaken.

In our state, it's not a driving violation or a moving violation but a fine against the owner of the vehicle, thus it is not reportable to the insurance company.

ETA: Hullo! Google is our friend!

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/auto_enforce.html lists the penalties and fees for the various types of traffic cameras by state.

I don't know where you live but here in New York it does NOT go on anyones license nor does it get reported to the insurance company.

"If you get a ticket from a New York red light camera, it will be treated differently because it's difficult for the state to prove who was driving. A red light ticket from a camera is actually more like a parking ticket. As the registered owner of the car, you are responsible for the violation, but all you have to do is pay a fine of $50, plus any court costs and penalties. The ticket won't appear on your driving record or cause your insurance rates to go up."

Is there a recognizable photo of the driver? If not, I don't think points can be assigned to the owner of the car.

In Germany, traffic cameras take amazingly clear photos of the driver, front of the car, and the license plate. How do I know? I think I'm one of the few people on earth who got a speeding ticket on the Autobahn. Yes, there are speed limits on (certain sections of) the Autobahn. I don't remember how fast I was going, but my ticket was the Deutschmark equivalent of $250! (before the Euro). DH laughed at me for a month, until he got one, too, for going even faster!

Queen Colleen

You must have poor red light cameras. Ours include multiple angles including a tight shot of the driver. They mail it to the registered owner of the car, and it goes on the record of the registered owner if the driver is someone else and doesn't fess up. Has been fun at work when the boss gets the ticket in the mail and asks an employee if they ran a red light in a company car, BEFORE he shows them the picture of them doing it.

Depends...in our area there is a city that has cameras set up in school zones BUT it is run by a private company. Since it is a private company recording it not an actual officer of the law, only a fine is issued, no points.

Depends...in our area there is a city that has cameras set up in school zones BUT it is run by a private company. Since it is a private company recording it not an actual officer of the law, only a fine is issued, no points.

Private company here, empowered by the state to do traffic enforcement. So points here.

No points here for red light cameras. They only capture the license plate and back end of the car.

You do not have an expectation of privacy of your identity when driving a car. How could you when the thing has windows surrounding you?

You do not have an expectation of privacy of your identity when driving a car. How could you when the thing has windows surrounding you?

For the same reason you have an expectation of privacy in your home even if you have big plate glass windows.

Count yourself lucky you don't live in the UK!!! Here, you get a fine, points on your licence (usually 3 - get to 12 and you lose your licence) AND your insurance company may put the cost up!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter