California Grill

MinMouse

DIS Veteran
Would you eat at Cali Grille if you couldn't get a reservation during Wishes fireworks? We are planning a fall trip for our daughter's 16th birthday and she'd like to eat here but we can't get a reservation for Wishes time.

Would you eat at Cali Grille if you couldn't get a reservation during Wishes fireworks? We are planning a fall trip for our daughter's 16th birthday and she'd like to eat here but we can't get a reservation for Wishes time.

If you can get a reservation for an earlier time on the same day, just hang on to your receipt. They will allow you to return to the California Grill observation deck to watch the fireworks if you shownthe receipt at the check-in desk.

Thanks for the suggestion. . . just not sure we'll want to hang around and wait that long.

I would still eat there. DH and I ate there on our trip last month for the first time and it was the only request DH had for our upcoming trip in December. The view was amazing! Not only of the castle but the Grand Floridian too. We weren't there during fireworks and actually didn't return later either.

I know some think Cali Grill is only worth it for the view but I have to say the food was the best we had all trip. For us, the whole experience was wonderful. On our next trip we are making sure to plan our meal to be timed with Wishes but if I happen to not get that (180 window opens Sunday!), we'll still book it.

Here is a view from our table. I was literally sitting in my seat to take this:

Disney207.jpg

and as the sun went down (sorry it's a little blurry):
Disney211.jpg

Cali Grill is our second favorite restaurant. Jiko is number 1. We eat there all the time without being there for Wishes in particular. The view is beautiful at any time but especially at sundown.

I go there for the food, not the fireworks. I try to go early or later because the place is just too insane with people waiting for the fireworks.

I asked a question a few months back about watching wishes from CG and the opinion of some seasoned posters here is that the fireworks viewing is not that great, due to the angle. It's not direct (you are to the side) and since you are higher, the shapes that are formed during the fireworks and are meant to be seen from Main Street are not well-viewed from the CG deck. We're having an early dinner at CG and then we'll hop on the monorail and go back to MK for Wishes.

It's an interesting view if you have seen Wishes before, or you just don't want to deal with lots of people standing around in a theme park. But the previous poster is correct - especially if you have never seen Wishes, you should know it's meant to be viewed from inside the park.

Besides, the food does come with the show, so if you don't care about the food and are just going for the fireworks there are better and less expensive ways to see them. If you love the food, go for it. I'd bet that most of the people who crowd California Grill for fireworks time have probably seen the show from the park before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter