Calendars As Gifts

RedAngie

Sea Level Lady
Inspired by Micca's just found 2013 Beatles calendar.

Do you give or receive calendars as Christmas gifts?

More often than not, I give them to DH and DDs. This year older DD got a Cats Doing Yoga calendar, and younger DD a Star Wars one. Smaller than the regular full size ones. I gave DH a standard size P!nk calendar as a gag. He does like P!nk somewhat, as do I.

I didn't receive one this year as a gift, so I'll use the Betty Crocker one with recipes I got in the mail in the kitchen. In the past, DH, as a gag, has given me calendars that are more for him than me, such as Women's Hard-Core Body Building, or drawings of 1940s era pinup women, or heavily tattooed motorcycle babes.

I bought a Bad Cats calendar for someone this year. She likes having desktop calendars to keep her organized. Most people I know, however, just use the calendars on their phones.

My MIL gives DH and I each one every year and most year the kids each get one too. They never make it out of the wrapper. I have a datebook where I keep track of everything and last year DD used hers to make a countdown calendar of days until we left for WDW but other than that they are never used. I'm a little unclear as to why MIL thinks all 4 of us need our own individual calendars but whatever floats her boat.

I bought a Bad Cats calendar for someone this year. She likes having desktop calendars to keep her organized. Most people I know, however, just use the calendars on their phones.
We haven't had a wall calendar tacked up anywhere at home for years, nor is there any place for one. It wouldn't occur to me to buy one for anybody as a gift and the ones I receive (always get a few promotional ones at work or in the mail) I just leave sitting in a pile somewhere until I get around to throwing it away.

Last edited:

I generally use the calendar on my phone. When I was younger (pre-teen?) I liked to have a wall calendar, but I really used it more like a rotating poster with a new picture every month rather than as an organizational tool.

I only bought one calendar as a Christmas gift. My parents still hang a wall calendar in their home. For several years, my sister and I made one of those photo calendars through Snapfish with photos of the kdis. We didn't do it last year and my mom mentioned several times that she missed it. We made her one as a "bonus" christmas gift (we found a free coupon). It's kind of nice though, because in addition to the main photos, you can add custom photos and text to individual days, so we could put everyone's birthdays, anniversaries, as well as the kids' spring break, school start/stop dates, etc.

My mum still hangs a wall calendar so I get her one with photos of the dog, my niece and nephew. I use a wall calendar too so I can quickly look to see dates when trying to organise stuff over the phone

I actually don't use the calendar in my phone at all. I do have a wall calendar and put things like vacations and appointments on it. It's nice to be able to see things at a quick glance. And then I have two planners: one strictly for school related things, and the other for work/appointments/to-do/etc.

My parents have a wall calendar hanging in their kitchen and also use it for vacations/birthdays/appointments, that sort of thing. It makes it easy to keep track of everyone else's plans.

ETA: So we do give calendar gifts for Christmas. I make both of my parents photo calendars for their offices, and my mom gives wall calendars to my sister, dad and I. And then my mom receives one from the three of us for the kitchen.

My mom is the calendar giver in our family. She buys four for our family alone, then more for my siblings, her siblings, nieces and herself! I'm fairly certain that the calendar store at the mall awaits her arrival every holiday season. :rolleyes:

I use mine in the kitchen as I like to be able to see the entire month at a glance for my sanity. My kids hang theirs in their rooms, and mostly use them as wall decorations. Except DD9 who uses it to carefully monitor birthdays and holidays, which must be a girl thing!

I have a huge teachers calendar on my wall, the motherboard. There are at least 5 things on it everyday, and during some seasons, the weekends have much more. I'd never be able to use a traditional calendar.

I always buy one for my younger brother, and put all the family birthdays and a bunch of wacky holidays on it. I sometimes buy DS one for his room (like someone said, more as a rotating poster) and I have made photo ones for DH's parents in the past.

I actually got one this year that I saw in a catalog and asked for. It's a page-a-day version called "Forgotten English". It has old words and phrases, plus some bit of history or folklore corresponding to the date, on each page.

I like having a wall calendar in the kitchen - probably, because I grew up always having a wall calendar in the kitchen.

After DH & I got married, for many years, my mom used to give us one at Christmas. I think she figured out I'd rather pick out my calendar myself, so it's been a while since she's given us a calendar. For 2016, I have a vintage beach calendar.

As one of the kids' Christmas gifts, we've always given them wall calendars for their rooms - but, like other posters have said, it's more for "decoration" although DD will write stuff on hers. For the past few years, Tinsel (our Christmas elf) leaves the calendars when he goes back to the North Pole - as a way to "count down the days" until he returns.

Besides our kids, I've very occasionally given calendars as gifts - like those box "page a day" calendars, never a wall calendar. A couple of years ago, DD gave her best friend a Duck Dynasty wall calendar because her friend is a huge Duck Dynasty fan.

We still hang one. Its on the inside of the pantry door. I just find it the easiest way to keep track of all family activities at one glance.

I compile calendars for the extended family each year listing birthdays and anniversaries as well as holidays, and send out more than three dozen copies printed on cardstock. With over 100 rellies (a Brady bunch with in-laws and out-laws and all their grand kids), it would be a daunting task to keep track of everyone without a software program. For some reason, everyone gets older each year, except moi. I'm listed as "umpteen." I also include a two-page contact-information sheet with addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses. And of course the contact info is already out-of-date less than a month later, but it gives us a base to work with.

Last edited:
I have given them....usually to DD and DH. DD wanted to get her own this year.
I gave DH 10 I received from charities and he hung up the one he liked best.
I always buy my own.....must be a Disney Park calendar for the kitchen.
Use one of the charity ones by the roll top.
And a large planner one on my computer desk.

Santa always brings calendars to my kids and they still get them as teens. DS actually looks forward to it. They used to get animal calendars and now they have evolved to the goofier versions. DS13 also got the Cats Doing Yoga calendar this year! DD15 got Cranky Cats and DD21 got a travel calendar of Greece since she is going there this summer. The kids put them on their walls and mark off the days before they go to sleep. I'm not sure why they started that habit but seem to enjoy it.

I make photo calendars for each set of grandparents and they both hang them in their kitchens. I don't use a wall calendar but do have a paper planner that I use.

Calendars on my phone, desktop computer, and laptop computer. I still like the ones that are hung on the wall with great themed pictures.

I did not get one this year. :(

I'm a huge Elvis fan so my son always give me an Elvis wall calendar every year. I hang it on the wall by my desk at work so I just have to glance up to see what the date is or check on previous dates, etc. I'm a bookkeeper so I have to have a calendar within eyesite for tax deadlines. I do have one on my calendar but it's just easier to glance sideways and ask Elvis about it. My son and my co-worker got to the point where they were coordinating it since a couple of years I got two. This year I told everyone, no gifts for me and everyone did well. Except I didn't get my Elvis calendar. I guess I'll have to buy one myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter