Bugs!!

Jonell

DIS Veteran
I'm just wondering how the mosquito and bug problem is at the fort at night. Is it possible to sit outside without getting eaten by bugs? Thanks

We've only vacation at the fort in November and Jan/Feb, but we have never had a bug problem. I always assumed they sprayed.

Been in June and November. Wasn't a problem for us.

Over the years, we've stayed during January, February, March, May, September, October, November, December. NO bug problems sitting out at night. I always thought it was part of the Disney magic. pixiedust:

I'm just wondering how the mosquito and bug problem is at the fort at night. Is it possible to sit outside without getting eaten by bugs? Thanks

Have camped at FW nearly every month of the year and have never had any bug bites - really haven't even seen any, except the ones around the lights on the dock.

"Back Stage" stuff.

We have been to the Fort in April, June and November and never experienced issues with mosquitoes or bugs. Ants are a different "animal".o_O We had them use the power cord as a bridge to the camper. I ended up getting an ant spray and sprayed the cord and anywhere else that the camper touched the ground. Tires, tongue jack, leveling jacks, power cord, etc. This worked well. I have heard of campers using a dust or powder on the ground around those areas that touched the ground.

They say that the building on stilts is a bat house designed to accommodate thousands of bats. Natural bug and mosquito control.

We haven't had mosquito issues either - and we spend a lot of time outside at the Fort when we go. I did, however, have some kind of bug (I still don't know what, we think maybe a water bug, but I smashed it before I could see it) crawl in my ear one morning WHILE I was in the RV! It was still dark and in my half sleep I grabbed it in and smashed it. But it did FREAK me out! I did NOT go back to sleep that morning!!! (Hazards of camping, of course. Disney can't get rid of every critter, nor would I want them to!)

We stayed last year November-December and we had quite a mosquito problem. We kept spray handy. It was rainy.

No mosquito / biting bugs but there are those flying ones that are attracted to light in the evening. Ants and some outside bugs as to be expected for outdoors but not awful.

No more yellow flies at the fort? We generally go in July/August and I have never escaped without at least one bite from a yellow fly. Usually I end up with several by the end of my vacation. The bites from a yellow fly would be exceptionally painful and the area around the bite would be red, warm to touch, painful and itchy. They tended to show up in the morning and again in the evening. If these are no longer a problem.....hallelujah!
As for the other bugs, yeah, I got mosquito bites occasionally but no more than I would expect at home or any place else in the evening. Not really an issue for me. The ants liked my RV, but the ants were just little things and I didn't really care if they were there or not. It's the yellow flies that "bugged" me the most.

Last edited:
I was about to mention the yellow flies. Those are the real problem and I doubt they're gone. I have such a bad reaction that we've stopped going to the cabins in May/June. We're trying again at the end of June, but will be armed with repellent, which doesn't work that well, and I'll limit my time outdoors in the morning and evening.

We've stay at the fort in almost every month and never had a bug problem. When we stayed a few years ago in august they sprayed about every other day. Early in the mornings, I would see a small pickup with a sprayer on the back..

Use Vaseline on the cords and hose. You can also apply around the stabilizers (I put down a thin block of 1/4" plywood and apply to the wood around the stabilizer base). You can also apply around the axle between the tire and the springs. Ants will not cross it...period. It also does not wash away like most of the powders when it rains. It is safe for the environment. Cleans off cords and hoses easily. I wipe it off the boards and store them in a garbage bag. Cheap and easy. Was made fun of by some yuppie from Pennsylvania for doing this until two days later when he was knocking on my door asking me if I had any left as the ants were running off with all his food.

I can confirm the yellow fly issue this past week. A few mosquitoes here and there but nothing terrible. There were way more flying insects at fantasmic than I've seen at the fort so far.

On the other hand, I have yet to see a single ant on our site.

Yup, it's the start of Yellow Fly season that will run into early June. I have never seen a single one of those buggers prior to staying in the cabins in May and early June. I went last year the first week of June and hardly was outside very much without coating myself with Deep Woods Off - which supposedly doesn't work very well. Even sprayed, I didn't sit on the deck very much at all. The hotels don't seem to have the problem at all.

I love FW, but won't go at this time of year any longer.

I've noticed flying bugs around dusk during May-September but it's no where near as bad as it in most of the state.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter