Broken ankle cont. loading rides?

kidlit

Mouseketeer
I have broken my ankle and am supposed to be leaving for the World in 3 weeks. While I think I will do fine with a wheel chair and crutches for many of the attractions I am concerned about the rides you need to step onto the moving belt to "catch" a moving car. Has anyone done this on crutches? Is it harder than I think or should I just forget this type of ride?:confused3

Also, rides with boats...has anyone been able to get out of them while having a cast on? I cannot have a walking cast as I am not allowed to put any weight on the foot. I am trying to remember if there are railings to help get out of the boat.

One more:) ...If I should attempt a roller coaster (I will be ten days within having the cast removed so I am thinking this may not be too jarring...I will wait and see before deciding though) do the CM's take your crutches and hand them back when you get off?

Anyone with experience on riding while depending on crutches your insights and opinions are greatly appreciated! :goodvibes THANKS

I went last March with a walking cast (boot) on my fractured ankle. I could put weight on it, so I did not have to use crutches. I did use an ECV to help me cover the distances in the parks.

Loading with the boot was a little cumbersome on the rides that I had to step down into. I would think that would be tough with a non-weight bearing cast. I guess it depends on how adept you are with the crutches. I didn't have a lot of upper body strength, so that would have made it tough for me. The rides with the moving walkways were okay - the only one that I felt a bit uncomfortable with was Peter Pan.

I rode Rock n'Roller coaster with no problem - that ride is really not jarring at all. Climbing in & out was a bit tough - the cm's were very good about giving me enough time. DH would step out first & give me a hand. My family loves this ride - we've been known to ride it up to 9 times in a row. I waited it out for most of my family's repeat rides during that trip. With the awkwardness, I was content with one or two rides.

Splash & Space Mountain might be tough. Splash because of the water - slippery for stepping in & the chance of getting your cast wet with that stinky water. Space is pretty jarring to me & you have to step down.

Good luck - if you're willing to adapt a bit, you should still be able to have a great trip.

Here's a link to a past thread that might be useful to you. It is about boarding those attractions with the moving walkways. Most of the moving walkways can be slowed, or even stopped if needed. Peter Pan is one of the worst because it can't be stopped.

A lot of the ride boats (like Splash) might be pretty hard to get in and out of with a cast, especially since you can't bear weight. Some have railings that serve to keep the people waiting in line separated for orderly boarding. They are often too far away to really use much for assistance in getting on. Many of those attractions don't have rails at the exit (they don't really care about whether or not you stay in line to get out.
Deb Will's site has a gallery of ride photos that show some of the ride cars. She doesn't have any pictures of Splash, but besides being wet, it's a tight ride car to get in and out of.

One side note. If you can, before you leave have the person who will be removing your cast draw a line on it where the cut(s) will be. Then bring some "Sharpies" with you and have the Characters autograph the cast, warning them not to have their signature cross a line. Once the cast is off you will have a very unusual souvenier of the trip.

Oh, boy, questions I can answer from experience :teeth:
I went to Disney World (and Universal Studios) solo, a few months after breaking my hip. Oh, I'm not all that old, by the way. I used an ECV for getting around the parks, and the crutches for walking between that and wherever I wanted/needed to be.
The Cast Members may or may not take your crutches, depending on the ride. Thrill rides, I think yes (but it's been over a year so I don't remember everything) but smooth rides like Small World you can take them with you. Sometimes you need to ask for them back, the CMs may not equate the specific Guest with the mobility device.
Rock 'n Roller Coaster has a limo that the door actually opens, so you step into it instead of over the side. I think I've heard that Test Track does too, but I was able to 'adopt' a couple in line and they helped me in and out of the car. BTMRR, I remember I leaned the crutches up against a post right by where my car loaded, and they were still there when I got back. On some 'low' attractions, if I couldn't easily get out of the vehicle I would crawl out and walk on my knees until I got somewhere with support, where I could pull myself into a standing position. Hey, it's not as if anybody KNOWS me :)
As someone else stated, most continuous load attractions can slow or stop for loading and unloading - Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, Spaceship Earth... Peter Pan can't, and I didn't try Tomorrowland Transit Authority but I think that's another one that would be difficult.

kaytieeldr said:
I think I've heard that Test Track does too, but I was able to 'adopt' a couple in line and they helped me in and out of the car. ..................
I didn't try Tomorrowland Transit Authority but I think that's another one that would be difficult.
Test Track doesn't have any cars with doors that open (it would be nice if they did).
At the "regular" boarding area for Test Track, the top of the car is about even with the floor and the track and "wheels" of the car are below floor level. You can kind of get the idea in this picture from the allearsnet.com picture gallery. You can see the bottom of the shoes of someone who has gotten out near the top of the right side. You can also get an idea of the step down from looking at the person in the back seat.
The "alternate boarding area" for Test Track uses the same car, but it is raised so that the "wheels" show. Getting in is easier for our DD since we have to lift her, but for some people it might actually be harder to get in there. Getting in involves stepping over the side of the car (similar to stepping over the side of a bathtub).

Tomorrowland Transit Authority is a difficult ride for anyone with mobility problems. There is a steep moving walkway that goes up to the "station" (which is at 2nd floor level). Wheelchairs/ECVs have to be left on the ground. Once you get up to the top, there is another moving walkway for getting on and off. They can slow it and we have had it stopped, but it's not easy to get on. Then, once you get off, you still have to go down the steep moving walkway to get to ground level. We went on once when the m oving "ramp" was not moving. That was almost worse because the walkway is made of that metal escalator stuff and is kind of slippery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter