Bringing home cupcake?

Mamajumbo

Earning My Ears
Has anyone ever brought a cupcake home? I was thinking about bringing one home for a friend who loves Disney world as a special treat. We are having lunch at be our guest the day before we leave. The next morning we come home on an airplane. I was thinking of bringing a circular Tupperware and just trying to keep it safe.

Idea?

I'm sure Disney has one of those disposable plastic containers they can put it into, but I think your biggest problem will be getting through security/TSA @ the airport with it.

Food isn't a problem with TSA. It is only liquid that is regulated. You should be fine as long as you're careful with it.

Food isn't a problem with TSA. It is only liquid that is regulated. You should be fine as long as you're careful with it.

I've taken breakfast sandwiches to the airport for our insanely early flights, and they've never let us through with them and always point us to the "no food/drinks" sign.

Unfortunately, per that same link: "The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

Most TSA officers will not allow food that is not sealed/prepackaged. Arguing with TSA about "but the website says!" is rarely going to be productive unless it's something that is fully federally regulated. Food is judgement call, and you'll lose.

We have never been denied bringing food. Telling the OP that food isn't allowed simply isn't true.

They need better training. Food that doesn't contain liquid is absolutely allowed. We fly with food for our kids all the time. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items

There's quite a bit of food missing from that list. Bagel/sandwiches being one. And then you have this note in red: "The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

Back to OP's question; pies/cake may fit in line with "cupcake" but it will be at the discretion of the TSA as stated above which is on TSA'S page in red.

Unfortunately, per that same link: "The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

Most TSA officers will not allow food that is not sealed/prepackaged. Arguing with TSA about "but the website says!" is rarely going to be productive unless it's something that is fully federally regulated. Food is judgement call, and you'll lose.

This. Plus arguing with TSA IMO gives you a direct FP to further screening. They are there to protect and keep the airlines, staff and passengers as safe as possible so I for one don't argue with them.

We've brought cupcakes on the flight every time we come home, our little bit of happiness when we're all sad to be leaving, and haven't had any problems.
We haven't been for a couple of years though so maybe things have changed???

Cupcake bought at lunch...then out in the heat all day (not sure when you're going, but it's hot MOST of the time in Orlando, then sitting in a refrigerator (?) overnight, then out of refrigeration for however long it takes to get it to your friend.

Doesn't sound good to me, but hey...

How the rules are enforced vary from airport to airport... I have never been denied food and in fact in some airports I have been to allowed me to go through with a full size bottle of water so long as it was separate and exposed however Orlando airport is one of the airports that will not allow this or for that fact they say any drink. Simply ask when you get in line and be prepared to toss it or eat it before you get to the scanners. However being what happened in Ft Lauderdale recently I would expect most airports will now be enforcing the rules to the fullest they can.
P.S. some other examples are travel size items like mouth wash some will enforce by what the container says period some will enforce by how much is in the container.

I've taken breakfast sandwiches to the airport for our insanely early flights, and they've never let us through with them and always point us to the "no food/drinks" sign.
in that case I would politely ask to speak with the supervisor.

in that case I would politely ask to speak with the supervisor.

Being that its at the discretion of the TSA if they ask us to toss or eat the sandwich before entering - we have no issue doing what they ask, and personally we dont want to make an otherwise difficult job that much more difficult over a sandwich.

We've never had any problems bringing food home and at least once we brought some cake leftovers. My only suggestion would be since cupcakes can topple over easily maybe bring some toothpicks or something to try and keep it from rolling around in the container while you are traveling.

I would be more worried about it getting squished. Do you have a specialty cupcake store near your house? Perhaps you can purchase a box specifically designed to hold a single cupcake.

Would your friend be just as happy with something that may travel better, such as a prepackaged sweet from Goofy's Candy Store or a Mickey Cripsy Treat? It may not hurt to have a backup treat packed, just in case you have to eat the cupcake prior to going through Security! :P

I've never had any food items questioned at TSA. If you are flying internationally or to Hawaii, there are restrictions on food you can bring into your destination, primarily meat and produce. But that's a customs issue, not TSA. I've flown home with a bag of cookies and pastries that I purchased with leftover DDP credits and not had any problems. Well, no problems other than they did get a little smashed since they were just in a paper bag and not a plastic container.

I would be concerned with how well a cupcake would withstand transportation. I might consider the Mickey Rice Krispie treats, or something from Goofy's candy shop. I gave my mom a box of Mickey-shaped chocolate covered pretzels from one of my trips.

Being that its at the discretion of the TSA if they ask us to toss or eat the sandwich before entering - we have no issue doing what they ask, and personally we dont want to make an otherwise difficult job that much more difficult over a sandwich.
yes but they cannot abuse that discretion. For you it may not be a big deal but for someone with food allergies or other health issues that require they carry food with them, it is a big deal.
Food or no food is not making their job more or less difficult.

yes but they cannot abuse that discretion. For you it may not be a big deal but for someone with food allergies or other health issues that require they carry food with them, it is a big deal.
Food or no food is not making their job more or less difficult.

When looking at the list of 'permissible' food items I dont see many, so yes for me its not a big deal, and for the person that it is a big deal for, i'll leave it to them to raise the issue or request the supervisor. IMO there's no need for someone without allergy or other medical issue to make an issue out of something like this and distract from others that may need more attention.

Well, no problems other than they did get a little smashed since they were just in a paper bag and not a plastic container.

Sorry your items got a little smashed, but thank you for mentioning this! Another item just got added to my packing list - containers to bring back snacks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter