Bringing home cupcake?

I've walked through TSA screening with a bagged lunch from Captain Cook's that included a sandwich, chips, and a cupcake in one of their plastic cupcake carriers. I put it on the belt with my carry on and had no issues whatsoever. Your mileage may vary, depending upon the mood of the TSA screener.

When looking at the list of 'permissible' food items I dont see many, so yes for me its not a big deal, and for the person that it is a big deal for, i'll leave it to them to raise the issue or request the supervisor. IMO there's no need for someone without allergy or other medical issue to make an issue out of something like this and distract from others that may need more attention.
any food that is not prohibited is permitted. So there is no huge list of permitted foods because if they not on the prohibited list they are permitted so why maintain a large list of permitted items. No it may not be a big deal if someone can't have their cupcake, but its part of a larger abuse of power. So yes I would ask for a supervisor just like I did when they wanted to insist of opening and xraying some medication I had. I was right, the TSA officer was told not to open it and to use a different method of screening it that was more time consuming so he did not want to do it. I also insisted on fresh gloves being used.
It may be a difficult job, but its a job they have chosen to do and as long as I am polite and not confrontational, they should have no issue with me asking them to adhere to the rules that are stated.

yes but they cannot abuse that discretion.

In general, supervisors back the judgement calls of the staff at TSA checkpoints. For those carrying medically necessary food, having medical information in hand about the need is a good idea. Cupcakes are not medically necessary. Comparing a cupcake to medication or medically-necessary food is a false comparison.

Complaints about TSA are generally handled after-the-fact, not in the airport, for a variety of reasons. One of which is that a supervisor is judged first and foremost on keeping stuff moving.

I have a number of trans friends who have to deal with TSA issues regularly. Now, sure, they're TG, not "cupcake-carriers," but based on their experiences, I would not have optimism about dealing with any issues at the airport, and I would be prepared to throw anything out.

Thanks for everyone's advice! I was thinking a cupcake, but maybe I week go for something packaged.

I totally would do it :) While there is a possibility of issues with TSA, from everything I have seen (and I fly 5-6 times a year so experienced, but not a road warrior), problems with food are a very rare exception, not the norm. At worst, you'll have to toss the cupcake. Not the end of the world. IMO, its well worth a shot.

I have carried food on planes multiple times with no issues. On one trip to Nashville, I brought home a whole takeout order of ribs, creamed corn, etc etc. Another trip to WDW, I had a bunch of QS credits at the end so brought home pizza, make your own pasta, sushi, and other assorted food from the food court. Had enough for 3 more meals over the next couple of days! The kids enjoyed going to their first day of school with WDW pizza, Chip n Dale "goldfish" for snacks, and Disney candy :) It was fun to bring the magic home.

I made a homemade Italian crème cake for a friend and traveled from Dallas to Amarillo on Southwest Airlines with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Yes, TSA scanned the cake. Yes, TSA swabbed the exterior of the cake container for explosive materials (I was like - "y'all are crazy!"). But that cake made it to my friend all in one piece!!

I've never been questioned about any food except a (sealed) jar of peanut butter (I asked if that was considered a liquid or gel.....and they said gel. Had to tods it.) But have brought back numerous Disney desserts, including an M&M covered rice Krispy Mickey head for my son (only thing he asked for lol)--and only lost one M&M!! If you think it won't keep all afternoon, maybe get one at the Confectionary on the way out. I believe they have the plastic cupcake containers. I've carried a caramel apple too!

We brought back a giant pink croissant donut (by request) in one of the cube mug boxes. We stuffed the box with lots of napkins, too. It made it pretty well.
Ohhh. I thought you were seeking ideas for the cupcake's safety, not TSA advice..

We brought back a giant pink croissant donut (by request) in one of the cube mug boxes. We stuffed the box with lots of napkins, too. It made it pretty well.
Ohhh. I thought you were seeking ideas for the cupcake's safety, not TSA advice..

Yeah, convo got a little derailed but that's okay :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter