Bonine Reports. Have you tried it since finding out here?

Crichton

Disney Fanatic
I went out and bought Bonine after reading all the positive reviews about it here. I've even tried a "dry run" to make sure I don't get drowsy for our December trip.

What I'm wondering is - has anyone tried it since finding out about it here and had it make a huge difference? I don't tend to get sick on the rides, but we're going to go "aggressive" this trip and do ToT, RnR, etc so I want to make sure ;)

My son who turns green when flying, used bonnine last trip. It worked so good on the plane that he decided to try it in the parks. In the past he never rode any of the quezy rides. well he rode RnR, SplashM , BTMR and SpaceM (23times) he was so happy to know he could do it with our barfing. Did not make it on TOT does not like the sound of that one. He is 15 and had no problem with being sleepy either. We also included a 4 day wonder cruise on that trip and he had no problems with that either. We will never travel with out Bonnine again.

I recommended it to my mother. She loves to ride the rides at Cedar Point with her teenage and younger grandchildren. Unfortunately, she was getting motion sickness from about everything.

She took my suggestion and used it during her last couple of summer visits and swears by it! Now she enjoys the coasters and other rides just as much as the kids. No more walking and watching for Grandma!

As I reported (somewhere on this board) a while ago, I used it at home to treat labyrinthitis. It worked wonderfully! I also noticed that the drowsiness stopped after I'd been using it for a few days. So for those who are concerned about the drowsiness, it may go away as your body adjusts to the medication.

Lori

I used it for the first time in June. We were getting ready to leave and I realized i couldn't find my trans scop (prescription) I was in a panic as I was already dizzy and nauseated from my first massage where they did my neck. I was desperate so my DH went to Walmart and bought me some. I felt better when I saw it is antivert, a drug I was familiar with but never taken. It worked fairly well. Not as well as my prescription scopolomine (thats spelled wrong I think) but overall it was a good substitute.

I agree w/ Mickeysmonstermom. I take the generic meclizine at home for vertigo and the sleepies always wear off after a couple days. Just start it a couple days prior to leaving. Also I noticed that my prescription dose is HALF the over the counter dose and works just fine.
Liz

How much should I take per day?

Is one tablet enough or should I take it twice daily?

When should I start taking it? The day before the trip or when we arrive in Orlando?

Thanks again!!

I race sailboats and am prone to sea sickness sometimes. During multi-day regattas, I'll take one each day about an hour before the first race and I'm fine for the whole day.

Bonine or a generic meclizine are really wonderful. So much better than Dramamine, which used to make me very sleepy.

I also have a severe problem with motion sickness....I can even get sick on an escalator!! I have been using Bonine for several years when I travel and find it far superior to Dramamine. Longer acting, chewable, I have never had a problem with drowsiness ( and I tend to be very sensitive to medications). Not dryinig like scopolamine Generally one tablet is good for whole day...but believe you can add a dose later if needed...check package insert closely. Take a minimun of 1/2 hour prior to needing.....good luck!

Used it 11/9-16! Worked great. I get motion sick on carousels, dumbo, will ride star tours but keep my eyes closed.

This trip took one pill (the meclizine-the generic) everynight. This trip I actually saw the star tours film. Did dumbo for the first time, tea cups (those still got me dizzy because we were really spinning but the problem cleared up quickly) did the carousel, all the mountains and for the first time, ROCK N ROLLER COASTER!
Yeah!

Will do it from now on. The meclizine was 7.00 for 100 tabs

Just a note that I think I noticed in Wal-Mart that Dramamine has a "non-drowsy" formula with meclizine instead of whatever the drug is in their regular pills.

But Dramamine is still a 4 hour pill that can't be taken after you start feeling sick. Where as Meclizine is a 24 hr pill and helps even after you start feeling sick it will still work to help you feel better.

As I have acute motion sickness I take 2 meclizine pills a day. I start the night, before the trip[i have never been drowsie] And then I have no trouble from the plane rideto WDW thru all the rides,then the plane going home!!

Had to purchase some of this for my son who got Car Sick on our trip from Ky to WDW - it worked great . He is 6.5 and weighs about 45 lbs so i just gave him half and bingo No Car sickness !!
Michelle

I've been taking Rx meclizine for years for my multiple sclerosis dizziness. It works pretty good.

DD used Bonine on our road trip to WDW a few years ago because she gets horribly car sick - it worked wonders. Not a queasy minute to report.:D

i get sick on practically all motion rides (including dumbo!) so i bought some chewable, one-a-day bonine & gave it a "test run" recently (while at a local fair) to see if i'd be ok for wdw next month - for me, it didn't work at all - actually made me even worse, more nauseous - i've tried seabands before & they work better - also, i bring along ginger (hard candies or crystallized) - the seabands & ginger seem to calm my queasy stomache, so that's what i'll be sticking with

My son and I used the Bonine during our trip in December, he gets car sick driving to the airport, but the Bonine worked great and no drowsiness at all.
I used it for RNR, Star Tours and it even worked wonders when I went on Spiderman at IOA.
I am glad that I read about on these boards, it really works much better than Dramamine.

In June I decided to take meclizine (25 mg) after arriving at a Six Flags. It made me feel like I was literally being pushed downward the entire day! I don't understand why it would have a different effect on me than it had last fall. At any rate, I remembered reading here on the DIS that taking it the night before dispels a lot of the drowsiness, so I tried again the night before a whale watch trip. It was MUCH better experience.

We used Bonine on our cruise last year and it worked great. I started taking it 2 days bfore the cruise and took it 3 days into the cruise and then stopped and I had no problems until the day we got off the ship. I should have taken it right thru the 7 days. I was more land sick then sea sick the day after we disembarked.

"But Dramamine is still a 4 hour pill that can't be taken after you start feeling sick. Where as Meclizine is a 24 hr pill and helps even after you start feeling sick it will still work to help you feel better. "

Actually, Dramamine does have a product called Dramamine 2 that is meclizine. Original Dramamine is diphenhydramine, and is a 4-hour pill that causes drowsiness. Dramamine 2 is meclizine, the same as Bonine, a 12 or 24 hour tab that does not cause drowsiness in most people.

I always go to Walmart and ask the pharmacy for generic meclizine. It is MUCH cheaper than the name-brand products.
I take one in the morning and I'm good to go all day on everything except motion simulators (and I think that I get sick on those because I THINK that I will!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter