Blue Man Group or Express Pass

bobkins40

Earning My Ears
I know we all have a budget...
mine seems to be getting stretched more and more as I try to plan the Ultimate 11th bday for my son with a 9 day trip to Disney/ Universal August 12-20

"it's not everyday a young man turns 11"

Mon- Universal HP world main focus
Tues- Universal
Wed- Blizzard Beach
Thurs- Magic Kingdom
Fri- Hollywood Studios
Sat - Animal Kingdom
Sun- Epcot

we were planning 2 days at universal- but, I can get 5 days for only $20 more a person
I hate to spend over $400 on just a 1 day express pass

thinking of blue man group with poncho section instead - its $100 a ticket
on Sunday and making Epcot a half day
and we could stop into Universal again if he wants to before show

any feed back is welcome ( NEEDED)

You're going at a slower time- August tends to see a drop in crowds. If you do 2 or more days at Universal, I don't think you'll need EP. I would go for the $20 more and do extra days at Universal. Blue Man group was fun(we saw it locally not Orlando) We had poncho seats too! Didn't get too much spit/thrown at us!

We have seen the BMG in Orlando three times, in 3 different locations. Poncho, the first row behind the Poncho, and in a back section. All were outstanding, I preferred the row immediately behind the poncho section. If you get down in the "floor" section (poncho or not), I would recommend by the aisle vs. the center. There is a lot going on in or near the aisles.

I'd go with the Express Pass.

My friend really, really wanted to see Blue Man group on our Universal trip Nov. 2016.
So we went.....and I can't get those 2.5 hours of my life back!!
I'm probably in the minority, but I just didn't get it. At all!

I'd go with the Express Pass.

My friend really, really wanted to see Blue Man group on our Universal trip Nov. 2016.
So we went.....and I can't get those 2.5 hours of my life back!!
I'm probably in the minority, but I just didn't get it. At all!

Lol......you and I can be in the minority together..........

BMG bored me to sleep ::yes::.......quite honestly I don’t get the fuss about it either.........but, each to their own......

So, yes I’d go for the EP option too.........

I did BMG three times.
Twice with homies I met on the disboards and once solo.

Not much change in the show for the times I went to it.

Would only do it again if I was with friends that wanted to spend a few hours hanging out and catch the show.

we were planning 2 days at universal-
You didn't mention where you are staying (unless i missed it) Have your priced out staying at one of the hotels that offers express pass? Look like RPR (the cheapest of the EP hotels) has rooms for $284 per night -with tax and all does come up to $319 - but that will get you 2 days of unlimited express pass. not cheap but if you have a place elsewhere you could calculate to see if staying onsite with EP works out better. You actually only really need one night onsite to get 2 days of express pass (because it works on both your check in and check out day). You could knock off one day from whatever you currently have reserved for your room. The onsite hotel also gets you early entry.

I also just priced out the unlimited express pass (one park) for both 8/12-8/13 holly cow!!!! for 2 people it would be $480 -- definitely makes sense to get the room at that price. The express pass cost changes from day to day. I'm guessing they charge more when they expect it to be busier. So for each day of your trip the cost is $119 per day per person. If it is a busy time -- it might make sense to stay on site with express pass.

If i read it correctly it looks like you might decide to do 5 days of universal vs 2, but honestly if you had 2 days with 2 days of express pass then it would allow you to do the other things that you want, which seems to be WDW -- i wouldn't choose more days at UO over WDW time -- TS land will be open and if you haven't seen Pandora at AK it is a must do.

I think the express pass can provide value for both your full days at the park vs blue man group which is only a couple hour show (and frankly they creep me out!!)

Have you asked him what he wants? -- where he sees the most entertainment or fun in his trip? He is at an age that hopefully he see value in the money spent so you could lay out a few options -give 3 scenarios- what you guys can do and what the cost will be and then let him pick. Let him know sticking to this budget is essential (as kids sometimes think money is infinite)

Have you asked him what he wants? --

I was trying to make it a surprise- he knows we are going- but doesn't know any specifics

I have started to look into a split stay ... unsure about this- I need to research the different hotels more

I love this forum- Its been a wonderful to plan the trip- they aren't cheap so it's not something we can do often
A lot has changed since we went to disney 6 yrs ago
and Universal is completely new to us

he knows we are going
If he knows that you are going then i would be more inclined to involve him in the planning. Part of the excitement for the trip is the planning - it is kind of a build up to watch youtube videos of rides or pick restaurants to go to. And unless he has expressed a great interest in seeing blue man group -- i wouldn't book that. I have twin boys who are 12 and if i asked them -- do you want to go see blue man group or get the express pass to ride all the rides with shorter waits -- they would vote express pass. Plus another consideration is that it will be hot -- very hot and humid out -- so any chance that you can get to wait in a shorter line the better it will be for everyone.

Is the trip just you and your son or are other going as well? the only reason i ask is that if there are more people going then the resorts with EP are a no brainier. Just really write down all your financial scenarios -- sometimes even if a plan is $50 more but offers more conveniences it is worth it for the little extra money.

I’ve seen Blue Man Group a total of five times over the last twenty years (3 times in Boston and 2 times in Orlando). I love the show.

I would show your son some Blue Man videos and see if he likes them before you make your choice. Does he like theatre?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter