Beware of Room Charging

Do most of the food places accept resort charging?

Last I heard, the permanent locations all accepted credit cards and room charging, but many of the small/ portable food carts weren't hooked up for credit cards & room charging, and only accepted cash. Is that still true?

I'm just trying to figure out if we need to carry any cash around at all.

We have NEVER had a problem charging from a food cart in any of the parks. That is where we buy all our soda refills and some ice cold brews :smooth:

Restaurants in the hotels don't always take them (ex: Palms steak house at the HRH) These places "rent" space in the hotel and are not affiliated with the property.

Restaurants in the hotels don't always take them (ex: Palms steak house at the HRH) These places "rent" space in the hotel and are not affiliated with the property.

Really? That makes sense, but UO's website states that you get "resort wide" room charging privileges "at Universal Orlando locations where credit cards are accepted" when staying onsite. I hope the restaurants that don't accept room charging make it very clear - it would be very awkward to visit a restaurant with only your room key and not be able to pay. Is there a list somewhere of the restaurants that don't accept resort charging?

The way Universal handles room charging is the same as most other hotels in the industry. Disney is the exception because of the Magic Bands.

I've had erroneous charges appear on my room bill before. Not at Universal but at Marriott and a Starwood. Either a patron deliberately gave the wrong room number or the employee mistakenly typed in my room number. I'd imagine it happens a lot. So far, no issue with having it removed.

I just got home from Portofino. Last year on check out they had charged me for the infamous $8 bottle of Figi water on the counter. This time they had a charge for the minibar on there. We do not use the minibar or snacks as we bring our own snacks. Both times they very kindly removed the charges. Water sits on a sensor as well as the mini bar. I thought it was kind of weird that we were charged for minibar items when we did not even open the door. They corrected the problem. I never get charging privileges on my room account. I had a bad experience many years ago with a well known hotel chain in Chicago. There was a inside job by employees who had access to guests rooms and accounts. Rooms were robbed mine included (it was obvious a pass key had been used). Also charges for food and alcohol were charged to all the rooms that were robbed. This chain refused to correct the problem. I have never stayed at this chain again. I will never put charging privileges on any hotel I stay at. Just my experience.

i have never had an issue with charges for the mini bar.

at check in, i refuse the minibar key and have it noted on my reservation.

if a charge was put on my room for minibar usage, it would be taken off due to the notes on my file at check in.

no room key was issued as it was refused at checkin.

if you refuse the minibar key, you can't open the minibar.

Umm... interesting. I was planning on using room charges at Cabana Bay but now I'm not so sure. I've never had much issues in the past with other hotels and I always keep a record on my phone so I know what to expect so maybe I will go ahead with it.

Umm... interesting. I was planning on using room charges at Cabana Bay but now I'm not so sure. I've never had much issues in the past with other hotels and I always keep a record on my phone so I know what to expect so maybe I will go ahead with it.

Don't let it stop you.

i have never had an issue with charges for the mini bar.

at check in, i refuse the minibar key and have it noted on my reservation.

if a charge was put on my room for minibar usage, it would be taken off due to the notes on my file at check in.

no room key was issued as it was refused at checkin.

if you refuse the minibar key, you can't open the minibar.

Yep, at RPR I refused the key. At PBH no key needed to open it.

As Bluer 101 said there is no key needed at PBH to access minibar. My suggestion is do what ever you feel comfortable with as far as room charges are concerned. When you check out go to the desk and go over your check out receipt and make sure there are no problems and get a zero balance receipt showing you agree with the balance and your bill has been settled. They are most happy to do this with you.

its so much easier just to pull up your account on the tv in your room.
you'll see any charges immediately.

why wait until you check out to go over your bill?

its so much easier just to pull up your account on the tv in your room.
you'll see any charges immediately.

why wait until you check out to go over your bill?

Yep......DH checks ours every couple of days on the tv........just in case. No issues for us.

Are you required to enter a pin# after each transaction or do you simply give a room # ?

I would hope a pin# is required to make for a more secure transaction.

Are you required to enter a pin# after each transaction or do you simply give a room # ?

I would hope a pin# is required to make for a more secure transaction.

You use your room key (which doesn't have your room number on it) and a room number.

I am aware of the swipe of the room key, Other Hotels that i have used room key charging would require a pin at the end of transaction or a show of ID.
After the swipe I give the room #....................If I accidentally give wrong room # will the transaction halt?

You have to sign it and put the room number. So if they see the wrong number it's going to throw a flag with them.

Actually if you think about it it's better than you actually losing a credit card. Not many places ask for id anymore with credit cards.

We ate lunch at the Leaky Cauldron one day. The cashier was a hot mess and told me my room key wasn't working and rudely claimed I must have depleted the account, right after I had put $800 into the room account (if you use a debit card for room charges they only put on the amount you specifically authorize). She then ran my wife's room key and said it worked, but I was suspicious she had double charged us.. Of course there were 2 identical charges on the room account that evening. I took it to the front desk of the RPR and showed my receipt, and they took the second charge off immediately and apologized for the Leaky Cauldron cashier's rudeness.

Wait, is this true about the debit card? They'll only put the hold for the amount you authorize? I had pretty much decided not to set up room charging because I kept seeing that they were putting massive holds on cards (way more than I would spend during our three days in the parks) but if I could give them an amount roughly what I planned on spending, that would be fine.

This is fantastic info, thanks so much. We leave in just over a month for Cabana Bay and I never even thought about room charging or checking our charges daily.

We spent 8 days at RPR a few weeks ago and checked the TV daily to make sure the charges were right. It was easy and all charges were correct. We had not ever used room charging before this trip so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but it was so nice to go to the pool and only have my room key to worry about. The Bula Bar and I quickly became best friends. :rotfl:

I think using our AMEX is the best way to go for us. Not only does it avoid mistakes with room charges, but it also is a way to avoid the sticker shock I get whenever I check out of the resort!

but it also is a way to avoid the sticker shock I get whenever I check out of the resort!

Why, if you use room charging would you charge more than with a credit card? Which every way you still pay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter