Best tips for when you don't have another adult to 'share' duties!

Great new board for single parents! We've done two trips to the USA now, single mum, 3 kids, one with ASD. Biggest tips are to be flexible, plenty of downtime (I found this much easier at DL than WDW) and let each child choose something they really want to do i.e my eldest son wanted to hang out in Hollywood (both trips o_O) one day, second son wanted to go on Star Tours over and over :tilt: etc We've had so much fun over there that I'm planning a third trip for 2016, depending on the AU$ :sad:

My best tips:
- make the first day a "No Park" day. Between the anticipation, the getting ready to leave, then getting up early to travel (after getting no sleep) we were starting our trips tired and grumpy. So I started getting the earliest flight out, we'd arrive around noon and spend the whole day at the resort. Just hanging at the pool, the arcade etc. That way we'd get a good night of sleep and start the parks rested and happy. Rushing off the plane to the hotel and then to the park is just way too much imo.

- I always brought a few surprise things to entertain my daughter at the hotel - a little art project, new coloring book etc. Then if I needed some quiet time, I had a way to keep her occupied.

- Really watch her sugar intake. Too much sugar and she'd end up crashing and getting really cranky.

- Part of our planning ritual included our "Do or Die" list. The 3 things in each park that we absolutely positively could not miss. We'd hit those first - after that if we needed to go because she was tired or cranky it was no big deal.

- I know this doesn't work for everyone, but I totally recommend scheduling the longest trip you can. Just so that you're not rushed. So you don't feel like you have to race to and thru the park like a mad person. One of my favorite days, Tropical Storm Fay had parked itself over WDW. The rain was just ungodly. We stayed in bed all day reading. ( my daughter and I are both big readers and never travel without a book or two) We were there for 2 weeks so losing a day to the rain wasn't a big deal. In fact. a lot of days we'd get up late, spend the day at the pool and not even make it to the park till around 5 and take advantage of the Extra Magic hours.

- I also tried to remember that this trip was *my* trip too. We'd do the stuff she wanted but I tried to always do some of the things I wanted too. I felt like making the trip all about her set a bad precedent. Plus the fact was all our vacation dollars went to that trip - it was usually the only trip I took So I wanted to have fun and she needed to be okay with that lol

I added a no park day on the day we drive down. Last time I drove down, then went into the Magic Kingdom an was tired the whole time. This time we are relaxing! Well, I am!

When my oldest son (now 16) was about barely under 2, I was a Season Pass Holder. I'd say about every other weekend the pass was not blacked out for we'd get up early and drive to Orlando for the day. Of course at that age it meant a stroller, diaper bag, etc. One time I was running to the tram with him and all our gear and this guy was nice and helped me get it all onboard next tim him and his family. Once the tram got moving my son tugged on the guys shirt and looked at him and said "You Daddy?" It was pretty funny at the time but just a wee bit awkward!

I was posting this on another board when I realized this could be very useful for other single parents traveling alone with kids. So, I'm sharing here too...

I have a Kyss bag that I'm taking to WDW when I take my 19 month old in December. I will use it as a diaper bag and a bag to secure my valuables (wallet, phone and my DSLR). When there's not a "photo op" (diaper change or nursing DS for example) or I don't need my phone or wallet, I will leave my DSLR, phone and wallet in my Kyss bag, secured to DS's travel system stroller. When there is a "photo op" or I need my wallet or phone, I will have those items in my compact camera backpack (to take on the rides for example).

I doubt someone will steal my stroller. However, just in case, my Kyss bag will be in the seat of the stroller, secured to the stroller. This will make the stroller unusable to them.

I got this Kyss bag when I took DS on a Disney cruise and it was great for keeping our stuff safe while in the water at castaway cay and anytime I needed to leave our stuff (by the pool onboard or to get some food at the buffet). A great purchase, especially since I travel alone with DS as a single parent.

Here's the link, if anyone is interested...
http://kyssbags.com

I doubt someone will steal my stroller. However, just in case, my Kyss bag will be in the seat of the stroller, secured to the stroller. This will make the stroller unusable to them.

I've seen a lot of people have their stroller or bags taken. Secured to the stroller isn't going to stop someone that wants it, especially after they read here that someone keeps their valuables in it.

What methods do you all have in place to ensure that you don't get overwhelmed? How do you all get a much needed break for yourself, while balancing your child's needs?

i've been a single father since my daughter was 2. She's now 20 and we've had a lot of trips to disney as father and daughter only over the years and it's sort of our tradition now. I've never been to disney when there was an adult to help...

I never really thought about what I did but here is what I ended up doing over the years..

- Look for activities without parents in the resorts. One year, for example, it was $10 and she made a bird house at animal kingdom lodge and it was a no parents allowed craft session. I got 2 hours off :) She still has the bird house and a very fond I did it myself at disney memory for her.
- Don't forget there is child care services if you want to hire them. I never used them but in hind sight, I wish I did for laundry time or similar.
- The nighttime movies at every resort while still out with your kids is a way for them to sit and be still, possibly even fall asleep. It's not exactly you time but it's not entertain them time either.
- Disney is a great way to teach compromise with. Make a must see, skip, ok to miss list. plan your time with a balance of some for you, some for them. Also pool time vs rest time is a good one.
- Water breaks is a great way to disguise I just need to sit for awhile. Get them in the habit that snack and water time is something separate from waiting in line. Of course if they ask for water in line that's different.
- Use the write in I'm celebrating button to have CMs help entertain them while your not on a ride or watching a show.
- That ride you hate is important to them. There is compromise and there is too many no's. you'll have to figure out the balance.
- Be happy they want to talk to you, it may not be that way their entire life. Enjoy their company when resting, it's not annoying to have a discussion with them no matter how much you just want quiet.

Here is some watch out fors:
- It's really easy to get carried away and spoil. If you hit every show, every ride, every thing they love on every trip it will always have to be that way.
- With above, it'll really tear into your wallet when the spoiling has a cost to it. Use a camera to take pictures of things every gift shop and let them pick 1 at the end of the trip and get that for them. It'll make the walk through the shop after the ride pleasant, they will be rushing around with a camera instead of you having to say no to eveything and will slow them down a little so you don't have to run off to something else. Also use the photos to plan some disney related holiday/birthday gifts. It'll help you learn their style.
- Be even more flexible and do even less than normal. If they aren't in the mood for another park, that's your down morning and it might change later. It doesn't have to fit your plan and they will be happier and in turn it'll be easier for you.

Edited to add:

If it fits your budget, park hopper and extra days is a great way to spread it out. do the parks in a series of half days, some are mornings, some are evenings. It might sound like the nap/rest in the middle but you can as a group decide if the same park is where you want to see the evening activities after the nap, or change where you go in the morning or if you go anywhere in the morning. This has probably helped me the most, it wasn't get it all done in 1 day overloaded and everyone was ok with coming back another day. You can use DTD or resorts for lunch when your doing an evening at a park, or dinner when not. it's a great way to see more but do less. My daughter always fell asleep fast and never woke up early. Letting her sleep and be rested helped the day.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of people have their stroller or bags taken. Secured to the stroller isn't going to stop someone that wants it, especially after they read here that someone keeps their valuables in it.

After I posted this on another board, someone responded that people do steal strollers when you're on rides. So, I decided against leaving my bag.

I think it's pretty sad that people go to parks to steal strollers, but whatever.

Meh. I never used a stroller except once. And that was when the kiddo fell asleep on the last day of her first trip (2010) on the TTC (MK) to Epcot monorail. I wasn't aware of the package delivery thing then so I saved all our shopping for the last day (something I've never done since), and was loaded with bags and a dead tired (and heavy) 5 year old.

Of course, once I got her to the stroller rental place at EPCOT and got her strapped in, she woke up and was a ball of energy for the rest of they day (go figure)...

I wouldn't worry about stroller thieves, I would worry about your purses and such.

Do not do the nasty stuff some people do like put dirty diapers on their strollers, etc...

If you really think you need a stroller, bring your own. Otherwise, view it as a convenience, like a taxi.

That's my advice.

Doesn't hurt a kid to walk, and Walt was right with weenies, if you are imaginative, there are a lot of ways to keep even a young kid moving, from excitement for a distant ride (ToT at HS for example) to playing mock tag (yeah, you run slow, we all know the game, every parent does)...

Point is, there is no reason to camp the kiddo in a stroller all day long as if they are Caesar and you are their slave.

Younger than 5 and I get it, but over 5? Nah, they don't need a stroller unless you have CHOSEN they need one. I've done it first hand IN the parks, and with a bit of fore thought (we ARE smarter than our kids even though they don't think it!)...

Have you seen Inside Out? The first thing a kid learns is joy...the second...is sadness...and from sadness they learn to complain, and learn to use it against us.

I know I know, I'm being preachy...

My point is, don't worry so much. Enjoy yourself, enjoy the time with the kid. The world is not out to get you, and there are not rampant bandits at WDW. Just be smart about your valuables, and the rest will work itself out. The people who get into trouble generally have strollers full of robber bait.

Just lay back and enjoy the ride, it will be a fun one. I promise!

Meh. I never used a stroller except once. And that was when the kiddo fell asleep on the last day of her first trip (2010) on the TTC (MK) to Epcot monorail. I wasn't aware of the package delivery thing then so I saved all our shopping for the last day (something I've never done since), and was loaded with bags and a dead tired (and heavy) 5 year old.

Of course, once I got her to the stroller rental place at EPCOT and got her strapped in, she woke up and was a ball of energy for the rest of they day (go figure)...

I wouldn't worry about stroller thieves, I would worry about your purses and such.

Do not do the nasty stuff some people do like put dirty diapers on their strollers, etc...

If you really think you need a stroller, bring your own. Otherwise, view it as a convenience, like a taxi.

That's my advice.

Doesn't hurt a kid to walk, and Walt was right with weenies, if you are imaginative, there are a lot of ways to keep even a young kid moving, from excitement for a distant ride (ToT at HS for example) to playing mock tag (yeah, you run slow, we all know the game, every parent does)...

Point is, there is no reason to camp the kiddo in a stroller all day long as if they are Caesar and you are their slave.

Younger than 5 and I get it, but over 5? Nah, they don't need a stroller unless you have CHOSEN they need one. I've done it first hand IN the parks, and with a bit of fore thought (we ARE smarter than our kids even though they don't think it!)...

Have you seen Inside Out? The first thing a kid learns is joy...the second...is sadness...and from sadness they learn to complain, and learn to use it against us.

I know I know, I'm being preachy...

My point is, don't worry so much. Enjoy yourself, enjoy the time with the kid. The world is not out to get you, and there are not rampant bandits at WDW. Just be smart about your valuables, and the rest will work itself out. The people who get into trouble generally have strollers full of robber bait.

Just lay back and enjoy the ride, it will be a fun one. I promise!

My DS is one year old and not yet walking. I imagine by the time we go, he will be walking (at 19 months); however, not well enough to walk at Disney. So, I will definitely have a stroller. How old was your DD when you first took her to WDW?

Thanks, we will definitely have a great time! I'm not worried. I just think it's sad, if people truly are stealing strollers in WDW.

My DS is one year old and not yet walking. I imagine by the time we go, he will be walking (at 19 months); however, not well enough to walk at Disney. So, I will definitely have a stroller. How old was your DD when you first took her to WDW?

Thanks, we will definitely have a great time! I'm not worried. I just think it's sad, if people truly are stealing strollers in WDW.
She was 5, and I wouldn't really have wanted to take her much younger than that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter