Best FP+ strategy for those with older and younger kids

tgbanks3

Mouseketeer
Should you book all FP+ for the same intense ride and just get rider swap while one parent waits with the little ones? Or is it better to book the thrill ride seekers with FP+ and the younger kids with a different FP+?
For example, we will have 4 of us riding ToT; the 2 younger ones will not ride.
A. Book all 6 of us for ToT at the same time and just waste FP+ for the 2 younger ones
or
B. Book 3 of us for ToT and the other 3 for sometime milder. This sounds like the better plan if you're able to get rider swap even if you're not booked with a FP+ for that ride.

We do B. It keeps all of us entertained and not just hanging around doing nothing waiting for the other group. Ride swap works great! The only thing is that the thrill seeker group may miss out on something they may have wanted to see too, so I am picky about what we choose for the milder plan. Or - you can make it a repeat ride for the group of 3, something everyone had already done but the little ones wanted to do again.

We did both scenarios, depending on a few factors. At MK one day, I got fast passes for me and the 3 older kids to go on 7DMT. The baby can't go on it, so I got a fast pass for my husband and him to go on the Winnie the Pooh ride at the same time. The rides are right next to each other and it just worked. On the other hand, I got a FP for Mission Space in Epcot that only the 2 older kids can go on. But I really couldn't find any rides near by that my husband would be able to take the little ones on. There is a play area though near Mission Space so I figured it made more sense for those 3 to hang out there while I took the big kids on the ride. So in that situation, I got fast passes for everyone and only half the family will use them.

For our upcoming June trip, we will do B. I'm the thrill ride person, DH is not, DS5 is not, and DS2 can't ride. So I'll be getting a few different FP than the others.

We do A, but use rider swap. Last year when we went, there were 5 of us. Our youngest two didn't want to ride all the same things. We had one adult stay with them while the other two rode. Then we used the rider swap, and one of the two that rode stayed behind with the younger two, while one rode again with the one who stayed behind. Then we would all move on to something everyone would ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter