Besides WDW...

Lately, most of our vacations are those few extra days tacked on either side of a conference. We seem to chase plenty of conferences ... some work related ... some hobby related. Beyond these, we used to do frequent cruises and other timeshare travel. I can't believe it has been almost 3 years since our last RCI exchange ... wow, I've been spending too much time/energy/focus at WORK. Sigh.

We've taken a few WDW breaks and have gotten great deals on Viking River Cruises. We'll be doing their Ocean cruise next year. However, they are more adult vs. family vacations (although Viking is trying to change that image). Our next trip is Atlantis with family - siblings, children and grandchildren. Our first time, but our relatives have been many times and seem to enjoy it. We shall see!

Maybe things have changed but the last I heard, only the Royal Mayan was in RCi and even then, only a small amount was deposisted. To be 200 points for a 2 BR, you'd need to be non red time. For red time for a gold crown it's 260 points and Dec is red time for Cancun in RCI.

They've changed. The Royal Mayan isn't even part of the Royals any more. It was sold and is no longer even the Royal Mayan. I called and talked to MS about the Royal Islander for the 1st week of December 2016 and was quoted 200 points for those dates. Also all of the Royals are now part of RCI as well as II. I believe that only the Islander and Caribbean are the only ones that aren't AI. The Sands, Haciendas, and Residences are. Not positive about RC (which was VCI).

They've changed. The Royal Mayan isn't even part of the Royals any more. It was sold and is no longer even the Royal Mayan. I called and talked to MS about the Royal Islander for the 1st week of December 2016 and was quoted 200 points for those dates. Also all of the Royals are now part of RCI as well as II. I believe that only the Islander and Caribbean are the only ones that aren't AI. The Sands, Haciendas, and Residences are. Not positive about RC (which was VCI).
Thanks, I'd looked at the directory on my iPhone but only the RM showed up. When I looked online after I saw your note, they were all there. The Royal Cancun is there also. Mandatory AI sucks though, that is one of the best things about Cancun is the dining options.

Are your kids interested in sports, music, or museums?

Thank you all- this has been very helpful. My son LOVES sports (and my daughter cheers her heart out for the CAVS), they enjoy music but Im not sure they would appreciate a music/museum focused trip just yet.

Im thinking we use our remaining points for HHI- hoping I can get some time in late July/early Aug-

We've turned into an every other Disney family (one daughter - in college now). San Antonio/Austin was fantastic. Washington DC (took the auto train) was a great trip. Last Christmas, we did Asheville, North Carolina. We've also been to Sanibel Island in Florida and I would go back there in a heartbeat. We live near Destin and love a few areas of the Gulf Coast - 30A (Seaside/Rosemary) and Orange Beach in Alabama are our two favorites and places we often spend a day at. People love Destin as well as evidenced by the crowds we have during the summer but it's just a Target run kind of place for us.

Since owning DVC, mostly WDW but we have also done DisneyLand, Cancun, DCL cruises (Including Med. cruise), HH, Vero, Lancaster, PA, Rocking Horse Ranch, Canada - these come to mind.

National Parks.
I second this one.

AND if either of your kids are in 4th grade, you can get a FREE America the Beautiful pass from the National Park Service ($80.00 value) as part of the NPS Centennial celebration.

That pass will get your entire family into any federally managed recreational land for a full year from month of purchase. That's 400+ National Park Service sites, plus National Forests, US Fish & Wildlife sites, land management and land reclamation sites -- about 1,000 locations nationwide.

Go to nps.gov for details and to "Find Your Park."

This summer, we spent two weeks in Northern Arizona (Grand Canyon, Monument Valley*, Montezuma's Castle, Sunset Crater, Wapatki, Walnut Canyon, Four Corners*, Upper and Lower Antelope Canyons*, etc. (*indicates Navajo Tribal Parks, $8 entry fee not covered by NPS passes). We were based in Sedona and Flagstaff, but spent one night in Monument Valley and two nights onsite in Grand Canyon NP.

[ETA: the picture in my avatar is Lower Antelope Canyon -- amazing spot!]

Next summer, we are tentatively planning on a trip to San Francisco, Yosemite NP, and other northern California spots.

Plus if you are at least 62, you can get the America the Beautiful Senior Pass and it is good forever afterwards. It includes all the occupants of a single, private, non-commercial vehicle. I think I paid $10 or $20 for it. Bill looks older than me and the ranger at the entrance to the park at the Everglades asked him if he was 62. He told her that he wasn't, but I was. I've used it a couple of times so far.

You havent said what type of vacation. The beaches and cruises are what I would call relaxing vacations, and we all need these from time to time/ The National parks are great and very educational. Then decide on hotel or enjoy the outdoors and camping in one of them. The last style is adventure/educational. This can be traveling to Europe which we like to do every couple of years to mix it up. My wife took our girls to Scotland, we have taken them to Greece, and all across Canada. The other thing we like to do is just drive with very little itinerary, let the road take you. This is not for a planner, but you can find great things off beaten paths.
If you mention what type of trip you were looking for then we can help with focus. Good luck.

Plus if you are at least 62, you can get the America the Beautiful Senior Pass and it is good forever afterwards. It includes all the occupants of a single, private, non-commercial vehicle. I think I paid $10 or $20 for it. Bill looks older than me and the ranger at the entrance to the park at the Everglades asked him if he was 62. He told her that he wasn't, but I was. I've used it a couple of times so far.
The Senior Pass is still $10, and still lifetime.

There is also a free annual America The Beautiful Pass for active-duty military personnel, and a free lifetime pass (called the Access Pass) for people with disabilities.

All NPS passes admit everyone in the vehicle, except at a handful of places which charge a per-person fee only. At those, I think it admits the passholder and 3 others.

Last edited:
I second this one.

AND if either of your kids are in 4th grade, you can get a FREE America the Beautiful pass from the National Park Service ($80.00 value) as part of the NPS Centennial celebration.

That pass will get your entire family into any federally managed recreational land for a full year from month of purchase. That's 400+ National Park Service sites, plus National Forests, US Fish & Wildlife sites, land management and land reclamation sites -- about 1,000 locations nationwide.

Go to nps.gov for details and to "Find Your Park."

This summer, we spent two weeks in Northern Arizona (Grand Canyon, Monument Valley*, Montezuma's Castle, Sunset Crater, Wapatki, Walnut Canyon, Four Corners*, Upper and Lower Antelope Canyons*, etc. (*indicates Navajo Tribal Parks, $8 entry fee not covered by NPS passes). We were based in Sedona and Flagstaff, but spent one night in Monument Valley and two nights onsite in Grand Canyon NP.

[ETA: the picture in my avatar is Lower Antelope Canyon -- amazing spot!]

Next summer, we are tentatively planning on a trip to San Francisco, Yosemite NP, and other northern California spots.

Mammoth Cave in Kentucky is incredible and tends to awe tween boys (too much walking for younger kids).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter