"Belgian" waffles on the Dream

Melissa S

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if anyone else is really disappointed by the waffles they serve on the Dream. I ordered a "Belgain waffle" for breakfast at the Royal Palace last December and expected a fresh waffle instead was served an eggo. I later talked to another passenger who was equally disappointed that she was served a frozen waffle. I would think for all the money we spend and for Disney's reputation for high standards they would make fresh waffles, like the Mickey waffles they make for the kids. It's not that expensive or time consuming to pour some batter on a waffle iron. I could see frozen waffles at the buffet, but at a sit down? We are cruising on the Magic in June and wondered if these "waffles" are served on all ships. Or if since then the waffles have changed.
Thanks!

I have a confession to make. When I wanted waffles, I ordered the Mickey waffles! Our server grinned at me and brought them. No problem!

That said, I don't care much for waffles, but I did enjoy the Mickey waffles.

Funny- I noticed this last August on the dream but had forgotten. It was disembarkation day so I figure they go low maintenance? But then why say Belgian waffle?!:goodvibes

Yeah, I was really let down by the waffles. I got them on disembark day too and didn't eat them cause they were so bad. I didn't even think to order Mickey Waffles! DOH! I will in Jan on the Members cruise though.

Last year on the Wonder I had Belgian waffles and they were not freshly made. They did not seem frozen, more like they were made earlier and left in a warming tray. The French toast was really good, though.

I discovered on all our cruises (well, up through cruise #4, then I gave up) that pancakes and waffles are not made well at sea. Maybe it has to do with the sea air?

They were all very dense and dry. I stick to french toast now.

:cutie:

I didnt care for the waffles at the buffet, are they better at the sit down restaurants?

I didnt care for the waffles at the buffet, are they better at the sit down restaurants?

That's what I was hoping the second time I tried waffles on our first cruise. But, no, still very dense and dry. Maybe it's a skill not easily learned for onboard chefs?

And the pancakes, I could have played hockey with them.

:cutie:

The only real issue I have with the DCL food is that I find frequently menu items arrive not as described. I can't count how many times I've ordered an appetizer described as having "heirloom tomatoes" and received some slices of mealy winter tomatoes on a plate. I just never learn.

The "Belgian" waffles are the breakfast version of the disappointment.

Thank you all for confirming that adults can still order Mickey Waffles!

They are available at the buffet for breakfast, right?

Hopefully, it is different on the Dream than our last cruise on the Wonder with the waffles. A little over a year ago we were on the MR cruise. We went to Disneyland pre-cruise. Our son LOVES Mickey Waffles! And that is putting it mildly:love: Luckily we were at the Grand CA so it was just a hop over to get his breakfast @ White Water Snacks. So when we got on the cruise, he ordered his mickey waffles. But they were awful! Not sure who was making the batter but it wasn't even a frozen/fresh issue. I didn't believe him so I tasted them and :sad1: nope, not the same. He ordered them a couple of times more and had them at the buffet but nope, no better. We will be on the Dream in June so we are keeping our fingers crossed. :confused3

We did back to back cruises on the Dream earlier this month. We got hooked on eating at the sit down breakfast at Royal Palace. They had something on the menu called "waffle sandwich". It was two of the "frozen" style waffles with some type of whipped cream in the middle. The whipped cream filling more than made up for the "frozen" waffles. I would order that along with some type of egg dish.

I thought eating breakfast at Royal Palace was one of their best kept secrets. It was heavenly. Always great service and it really didn't take very long to eat either. After breakfast, we happend to walk through Cabanas a couple times and everyone seemed so chaotic and frenzied. It made me appreciate our Royal Palace experience even more.

Di

ImprovGal- I agree with you and that's what led to my disappointment because of the way it was described I was expecting a thick crispy waffle and instead got what I got. They shouldn't try to get us excited if they can't deliver lol.

diheartdisney- I also agree with you about Royal Palace. We travelled with a toddler so not having to take turns getting our breakfast and quick access to a highchair was a huge plus. There were so few people that it was quiet and relaxing.

We did back to back cruises on the Dream earlier this month. We got hooked on eating at the sit down breakfast at Royal Palace. They had something on the menu called "waffle sandwich". It was two of the "frozen" style waffles with some type of whipped cream in the middle. The whipped cream filling more than made up for the "frozen" waffles. I would order that along with some type of egg dish.

I thought eating breakfast at Royal Palace was one of their best kept secrets. It was heavenly. Always great service and it really didn't take very long to eat either. After breakfast, we happend to walk through Cabanas a couple times and everyone seemed so chaotic and frenzied. It made me appreciate our Royal Palace experience even more.

Di

I 100% agree. In all our cruises we rarely went to any the dining rooms for sit down dining for breakfast...family was just not into it. In November I took my mom on the Dream and the two of us had breakfast in Royal Palace several times and loved it!!! I hope I can convince my family to have breakfast in RP this June at least once or twice or may go alone!!!

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter