• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Being turned away at the port

They are, starting with today's cruise. I am curious to how it will all work out. My greatest fear is not that we will come up with a false positive at the port, but just the logistic of testing everyone and how long that process will take at the port. These are only short cruises so curious to see what time people are actually able to board. Read that you self test, and either wait in your car in the parking garage or in a tent until the results come in. We rented a car and are parking at the port. I think I would prefer to be sitting in my car and wait than in a tent.

We sail September 27th and I am hoping the next few cruises they work out all the kinks.

Anyone sailing today and the next couple cruises please let us know how the whole process went. Thank you and good luck.

I'm hopeful that the crew here can do it as quickly as they've been doing it in the UK. From the accounts that I've read, testing and waiting usually added 30-60 minutes to boarding time, which isn't too bad.

What's crazy to me is that they have everyone sitting in the same tent before getting results. That's a good way to *spread* the virus if some guests are positive.

I'm hopeful that the crew here can do it as quickly as they've been doing it in the UK. From the accounts that I've read, testing and waiting usually added 30-60 minutes to boarding time, which isn't too bad.

What's crazy to me is that they have everyone sitting in the same tent before getting results. That's a good way to *spread* the virus if some guests are positive.

Not sure how it’ll work in the US but in the UK you have to wear a mask while you wait, it was one family per row and you were asked to stay in your seats so, while not ideal, it was a decent mitigation IMO (and there was air flow from the tent ‘doors’).

We drove in at 11am with a PAT of 11:15am, we were able to drop off our luggage with a porter but had to drive around for 10 minutes. We waited in a line of cars. We went thru to the parking garage and waited in a line. We finally pulled in and we’re given the testing kit and waited for a spot to open. We pulled into a designated space and were given instructions after showing our PAT form. They collected our test tubes that we labeled and we were told to find a parking space in the garage and sit tight until we were contacted with our results by text, email or through Safe Passage with an ETA of 45 minutes to an hour, but possibly sooner. If it is more than an hour someone will call us or they give you an 800 number to call. Still waiting, been 40 minutes now.

We drove in at 11am with a PAT of 11:15am, we were able to drop off our luggage with a porter but had to drive around for 10 minutes. We waited in a line of cars. We went thru to the parking garage and waited in a line. We finally pulled in and we’re given the testing kit and waited for a spot to open. We pulled into a designated space and were given instructions after showing our PAT form. They collected our test tubes that we labeled and we were told to find a parking space in the garage and sit tight until we were contacted with our results by text, email or through Safe Passage with an ETA of 45 minutes to an hour, but possibly sooner. If it is more than an hour someone will call us or they give you an 800 number to call. Still waiting, been 40 minutes now.
Just got cleared. Took about an hour. Had 11am pat
Thanks for your reports! We sail Friday and have been getting anxious about the process. As it's only a 3-night cruise, hopeful we won't be too delayed getting on board! Hope you both have great cruises!

No restrooms that I saw by the tents. FYI, once we were cleared it was about 20 min until we were on board. That includes time walking from tents to terminal

There are restrooms on the first floor of the garage.
Someone there needs to confirm that they are open to guest waiting for their results.

We got cleared 5 minutes later so 45 minutes for 2 of us.

Are the covid test Saliva or Nasal? Hoping for the former;-)

After a couple months of the UK cruises running have just seen a post on social media from someone who was denied boarding due to their child testing positive (a lot of people have been driving to the ports on the UK sailings so in the previous cases of positive cases I’d read about people just drove home). Disney put her direct party (her household) up in a hotel for a ten day isolation period and the rest of her party up in a hotel for two nights while they arranged a flight home.

Hopefully this bodes well for a similar approach with other sailings (selfishly hoping so as I don’t drive and usually get the DCL transfer to PC).

Does anyone have any idea how many have tested positive at Port Canaveral specifically? I know that no one knows exact numbers but based on positing by people on boards or social media or wherever/

After a couple months of the UK cruises running have just seen a post on social media from someone who was denied boarding due to their child testing positive (a lot of people have been driving to the ports on the UK sailings so in the previous cases of positive cases I’d read about people just drove home). Disney put her direct party (her household) up in a hotel for a ten day isolation period and the rest of her party up in a hotel for two nights while they arranged a flight home.

Hopefully this bodes well for a similar approach with other sailings (selfishly hoping so as I don’t drive and usually get the DCL transfer to PC).
I'm wondering if this is specifically due to UK rules for resuming cruising? I haven't heard of anyone cruising from Port Canaveral who had a hotel provided by DCL. In fact, I think DCL is pretty clear about suggesting travel insurance (which should kick-in for such needs).

Disney put her direct party (her household) up in a hotel for a ten day isolation period and the rest of her party up in a hotel for two nights while they arranged a flight home.

I have first hand knowledge of someone testing positive at Port Canaveral and DCL did not offer hotel assistance, only a ride back to Orlando on a DCL bus. They did not have travel insurance, but had priced DCL's insurance and the total cost of returning home (renting car for drive back to TX, hotel, food, etc) was considerably less than what the insurance would have cost. Granted, they had been booked in a royal suite so their cruise fare was quite high. They had booked air with miles and were able to get those back.

I have first hand knowledge of someone testing positive at Port Canaveral and DCL did not offer hotel assistance, only a ride back to Orlando on a DCL bus. They did not have travel insurance, but had priced DCL's insurance and the total cost of returning home (renting car for drive back to TX, hotel, food, etc) was considerably less than what the insurance would have cost. Granted, they had been booked in a royal suite so their cruise fare was quite high. They had booked air with miles and were able to get those back.
My travel agent asked DCL directly and all they provide is a ride to a hotel or the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter