Being booted by the NBA deal , where is Disney moving you too?

Agree. It looks like they are putting the teams in Yacht Club that they expect to miss out on the playoffs. I would expect after the first 8 games are done, the teams not in the playoffs will leave and the teams at Yacht Club will move. Same with the teams at GF. So don't expect either resort to be occupied for very long.
I'm not sure they will move teams after they are already in place. This is all speculation of course, but there's over 100 pages of guidelines regarding the NBA's "bubble" including the addition of families for the players and staff being allowed in after the playoffs start, and no mention was made of moving teams around. I suspect as long as a team is in it, they'll be at the resort they started at.

Has anybody been able to call and get any info yet. I tried chatting this morning and the CM denied knowing what hotel the NBA would be at and told me to call closer to my reservation date. 😕

My Disney planner said they won’t do anything until they officially announce the deal with the NBA.

I'm not sure they will move teams after they are already in place. This is all speculation of course, but there's over 100 pages of guidelines regarding the NBA's "bubble" including the addition of families for the players and staff being allowed in after the playoffs start, and no mention was made of moving teams around. I suspect as long as a team is in it, they'll be at the resort they started at.

That Kevin NBA guy (can't remember his twitter handle) reported that they will be consolidated out of YC, then GF to open up inventory for regular guests. So, unless he is wrong, they will likely move them to GDT.

They will move them because they're not going to cordon off entire resorts and maintain the bubble if just one team is left there. The odds of any of the play-in teams being left at Yacht Club for long are slim. If by some chance one of them makes the playoffs and then the second round, they def. won't keep a whole resort closed just for that one team of 12 players and 35 staff.

Basically, 8 teams will be gone by the end of August, and within less than a week, another 4 teams gone, etc etc. A lot of the players won't want their families there as the stakes get higher. My guess is that the families that come will be for the conference finals and the finals.

This is all speculation of course, but there's over 100 pages of guidelines regarding the NBA's "bubble" including the addition of families for the players and staff being allowed in after the playoffs start, and no mention was made of moving teams around. I suspect as long as a team is in it, they'll be at the resort they started at.

This raises the question of what is the purpose of spreading them out over 3 hotels instead of consolidating them at 1? Just curious since there's nothing we can do about it would be interested to try and figure out what Disney is thinking right now balancing this business with their resort guests.

It's just so complex, but a lot of it is a matter of capacity and convention facilities. Players and teams are having specialized workout equipment flown in, extra-long beds are being brought in, they're setting up player lounges with pool tables and ping pong, etc. They certainly aren't going to put NBA players in mods or values. Grand destino only has 550 rooms or so. If you have 24 teams going and each needs 50 rooms, plus rooms for media members, NBA officials, etc, and not including family, you're looking at 1200 rooms minimum.

This raises the question of what is the purpose of spreading them out over 3 hotels instead of consolidating them at 1? Just curious since there's nothing we can do about it would be interested to try and figure out what Disney is thinking right now balancing this business with their resort guests.
Simply due to space limits each of these selected hotels have a large convention venue available for the teams to utilize as they prepare for games at WWOS. There is not enough room for all the teams to have their own workout / prep space with only the CS convention facilities.

Dave

Last edited:

My theory? It allows them to keep their resorts shuttered for longer.

I would be disappointed to be booted as well!
Thank you. We are getting bounced out of yacht July 16 - 21...It’s kind of making me nuts that people are going on about it being a good thing, I’m happy for Disney but they’re getting revenue but as of right now, no one seems to be sure if the people who are being displaced by the NBA are going to have a place to stay. The cast member I spoke with this morning seemed to think that we would have to pay a difference to modify to an open DVC resort, despite the fact that our resort will actually be open and the only reason we won’t be there is because they are putting someone else in our room. Very much hoping he was very wrong.

I believe before I was very forgiving over lack of communication and such due to Covid. This is different. They are taking guests out of planned vacations for a sport. This will leave a lot of sour tastes in guest mouths over losing YC , GF and GDT.

The thing is though that there was no guarantee that Disney would have opened those resorts at all except for the NBA, so it's likely you would have been moved regardless. Based on what information we do have, it's likely that most resorts wouldn't have opened for the first few months of operation anyways. Demand is pretty much down to no one but the most hardcore Disney fans willing to accept the risk of going to Disney and paying the same amount for a reduced experience. If Disney knows that it could accommodate the guests that decided to keep their bookings in the DVC resorts they are legally obligated to operate and Fort Wilderness, they would have no reason to open the other resorts until there is enough demand to make opening other resorts financially reasonable. Given the minimum costs of running a resort (regardless of how many guests staying there) I can't imagine Disney could possibly recoup those costs without at least 25-50% occupancy, which is unlikely for the near future.

I totally get your frustration at the situation and the lack of communication, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see many additional resorts open beyond the DVC resorts and FW for most of the time the NBA is scheduled to be there. If that ultimately is the case, then it wouldn't matter whether the NBA were using the YC or not as the YC would have remained closed and you would have been moved anyways. The problem is Disney is only opening the parks/resorts to the extent that they will make more money than keeping them shut down. This means they aren't going to be doing anything that would cost more money than they would make by doing so. While the resorts are typically a huge money maker for Disney, if they would be under-occupied across the board, it makes no sense to open more of them than they have to. Essentially, if Disney thought it could make more money by opening the YC, GF, or GDT to guests instead of the NBA, they would have done so. The fact that Disney chose those three hotels for the NBA suggests to me that they were already going to be among the last resorts to come back on line after re-opening anyways.

Thank you. We are getting bounced out of yacht July 16 - 21...It’s kind of making me nuts that people are going on about it being a good thing, I’m happy for Disney but they’re getting revenue but as of right now, no one seems to be sure if the people who are being displaced by the NBA are going to have a place to stay. The cast member I spoke with this morning seemed to think that we would have to pay a difference to modify to an open DVC resort, despite the fact that our resort will actually be open and the only reason we won’t be there is because they are putting someone else in our room. Very much hoping he was very wrong.

Ignoring the NBA, the reason people are being booted or moved to DVC/FW for the near future is that there isn't enough demand for the resorts. Disney will open up more resorts as the demand picks up, but for the time being its highly unlikely they would have opened the YC/GF/GDT for your dates anyways. Also, based on reports people aren't being asked to pay any difference if they keep their dates, only if they book new dates. While that might be cold comfort if you had a discount at a Deluxe resort and they are trying to convince you that a rack rate DVC room at the same price is the same value, you won't have to pay more if you still want to go.

Exactly. I think anyone who was going to be a Yacht and GF that first month was going to get bounced anyway. The reason they can accommidate the NBA is because of the ultra-strict protocols they've set out. They've actually literally announced that they are setting up a hotline for players to rat each other out if they see another player or staff member break the bubble. A bubble is possible for the NBA. It's not possible for regular guests. I don't think these resorts were going to open in July anyway.

The thing is though that there was no guarantee that Disney would have opened those resorts at all except for the NBA, so it's likely you would have been moved regardless. Based on what information we do have, it's likely that most resorts wouldn't have opened for the first few months of operation anyways. Demand is pretty much down to no one but the most hardcore Disney fans willing to accept the risk of going to Disney and paying the same amount for a reduced experience. If Disney knows that it could accommodate the guests that decided to keep their bookings in the DVC resorts they are legally obligated to operate and Fort Wilderness, they would have no reason to open the other resorts until there is enough demand to make opening other resorts financially reasonable. Given the minimum costs of running a resort (regardless of how many guests staying there) I can't imagine Disney could possibly recoup those costs without at least 25-50% occupancy, which is unlikely for the near future.

I totally get your frustration at the situation and the lack of communication, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see many additional resorts open beyond the DVC resorts and FW for most of the time the NBA is scheduled to be there. If that ultimately is the case, then it wouldn't matter whether the NBA were using the YC or not as the YC would have remained closed and you would have been moved anyways. The problem is Disney is only opening the parks/resorts to the extent that they will make more money than keeping them shut down. This means they aren't going to be doing anything that would cost more money than they would make by doing so. While the resorts are typically a huge money maker for Disney, if they would be under-occupied across the board, it makes no sense to open more of them than they have to. Essentially, if Disney thought it could make more money by opening the YC, GF, or GDT to guests instead of the NBA, they would have done so. The fact that Disney chose those three hotels for the NBA suggests to me that they were already going to be among the last resorts to come back on line after re-opening anyways.
I don't think the issue is what Disney plans to do, it's the fact that they're not telling anyone, including guests who are planning on being there in 3 weeks. Finding out that you may be bumped from a high end resort which many may have been looking forward to for a year or more by way of twitter and message boards is a very poor way to provide communication to your supposed valued guests.

I may have missed this but has anyone ACTUALLY been contacted by Disney and moved to a different resort? Curious about it as we are Coronado Tower for late August and early September and haven't had any contact and whenever I inquire all I get is that they don't know if we will be impacted. We have two rooms for a 10nt stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter