Behaviours That Should Possibly Be Banned?

There are many times and places in WDW in which children on shoulders is neither unsafe nor rude. Any risk is limited to those directly involved. No, it should not be banned. People just need to learn to be more considerate of others.

Ya it's two separate issues. Disney can make an announcement to stop being an inconsiderate butt head. But ban this behavior? No. Opens up to the slippery slope.

Except maybe the breathing thing. It is very annoying when people take my air. Also please include the dumbos that throw gum on the ground. I always step in it. But then again maybe I should ban myself for not realizing that people can be rude and it's my responsibility to watch every step I take. But if I do that , I might run into the person with the child on their shoulders causing them to fall. It IS a safety issue.. ban it! Lol

And while we're at it, let's ban people who:

a) blow their nose at the dinner table
b) talk on cell phones while eating
c) don't wear deodorant
d) wear too much perfume
e) leave their CS tables a mess
f) sing along during the rides
g) talk during movies
h) scream like a little girl in the HM stretching room (exception for actual little girls)
i) try to cut in attraction lines
j) squat on toilet seats
k) yell at spouses, kids, CMs and other people for non-existent perceived slights
l) won't wait for the next tram after being told that the tram is not boarding any more
m) don't fold their strollers on the monorail
n) don't tip their bartenders
o) spit off the peoplemover/TTA
p) make a "eww" face if they see you eating sushi
q) gripe about other people eating turkey legs
r) won't spin the teacup
s) spin the teacup too fast
t) spoil the magic for little ones by asking the characters if they're "hot in that suit"
u) won't fill in all the available seats in the row starting at the other end
v) get upset by the two-lane registers at the CS venues
w) spend 10 minutes in line, then don't decide what they want to eat until they get to the register
x) won't make their kids behave
y) behave like 2-year-olds (exception for actual 2-year-olds)
and finally
z) make up ridiculous lists like this one.

I'd pay extra for my ticket if Disney only adopted this list especially e, g, h(please!), i (can't stand those people), t, u (pretty pretty please!!!) :rotfl:

How about all of us that aren't rude self absorbed people pool our money together and just rent MK for a day?? I've got a few hundreds to contribute. :rotfl2:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

I think it is rude to choose your child's viewing experience over the experience of the people behind you.

If Disney was primarily designed for children, then I want a discount on my adult admission.

So you're saying when you went with your kids when they were young, you just let them stand next to adults and not see anything?

Besides this argument is fairly ridiculous because the only time this issue really applies is during parades/fireworks. Almost all seated shows do strictly enforce a "you must be seated" rule. Why are wasting time on it?

To those that are pro-kids-on-shoulders let me propose this:

My DS is 12 and is just under 5 feet tall. So, way too big to put on shoulders, but short enough that most adults block his view. Maybe next time he can bring a medium-sized box. Or, hey, maybe some stilts! And he can pop up to a height of 7 feet right before the show starts. I'm sure the person who's standing right behind him won't mind. I don't see any difference between this and a kid on an adult's shoulders.

And, since Disney is primarily for kids, I will make sure my DS and his stilts are in front of an adult rather than a child so he doesn't ruin any magic. (Sarcasm alert)

In all seriousness, we've taken our kids to Disney for many years. We've never put them on our shoulders because I just don't think it's polite to the people behind us. Sure, there have been instances when my kids were too short to see. In those instances we would just lift them up and hold them on our hips so their heads were the same height as ours. But, in most cases they have been able to see fine because we get there early, stake out a good spot, and teach them that good things are worth waiting for.

...Nor can you fix stupid.

No you can't. During the Halloween parties many guests can't even be bothered to keep their feet out of the road for the riding of the Headless Horseman. And they are told that many times before he rides. I highly doubt an announcement to lower your children from your shoulders would be followed any better.

So you're saying when you went with your kids when they were young, you just let them stand next to adults and not see anything?

Besides this argument is fairly ridiculous because the only time this issue really applies is during parades/fireworks. Almost all seated shows do strictly enforce a "you must be seated" rule. Why are wasting time on it?

When my kids were that age, we put them on our hips, or held them in front of us at chest height so they could see. Or we would do our best to have them see btw people. But it was a challenge getting them to see over say a 6ft person, let alone a 6ft person plus

No you can't. During the Halloween parties many guests can't even be bothered to keep their feet out of the road for the riding of the Headless Horseman. And they are told that many times before he rides. I highly doubt an announcement to lower your children from your shoulders would be followed any better.

I dont see why it couldnt work, will some disregard it, yes, but hopefully the majority will follow the rules. I mean they still ask people not to use flash photography on certain rides, do some ignore it, yes, but I am sure it makes the majority of the guests think twice before taking those type of photos.

I dont see why it couldnt work, will some disregard it, yes, but hopefully the majority will follow the rules. I mean they still ask people not to use flash photography on certain rides, do some ignore it, yes, but I am sure it makes the majority of the guests think twice before taking those type of photos.
Yeah - even if only some would listen and follow the rules, it would be better.

I think the child-on-shoulder thing should definitely be banned. Multiple times during a fireworks show or a plain stunt show, a few people will be in the front row and will still hold their child on their shoulders. This broadens the inconvenience to everyone in the crowd, not just the one person behind them. If the kid were to fall off of the parent, and say- get critically injured in the spine? The parents could sue Disney for no reason. I think Disney should ban "shoulder riding" for our convenience as well as their own.

I am barely 5'2 and I expect to not be able to see over people most of the time in most places. I really don't care if people want to put kids on their shoulders. Do I worry they might fall off and crack their little skulls on the pavement? Yeah, sometimes. I've seen people put their kids in grocery carts at the supermarket and turn around and do something else and watch the cart fall over. I have had similar scenarios around me and tried to intervene and what I've realized is: most people do not want you to help or intervene and they don't want you to tell them how to parent. So if Joe Doe thinks it is a good idea to put his kid on his shoulders that is fine with me. I can adjust. As far as iPads, etc. I expect to see electric devices everywhere I go now. Disney is encouraging it anyway with the Disney Experience thing and the FP+ thing and all that.
Besides, iPads and tablets are used largely as a communication device by those who cannot speak (autism spectrum, etc) and if those items were banned it would take away electronic app PECs tools for people that need them.

If something is dangerous to OTHER PEOPLE and causing injury to others, then I see it as worthy of considering a rule against. I don't really see how someone else having their child on their shoulders is dangerous to me. Unless there were suddenly a bunch of incidents of kids falling off shoulders and hitting other people in the face or something.

I think the child-on-shoulder thing should definitely be banned. Multiple times during a fireworks show or a plain stunt show, a few people will be in the front row and will still hold their child on their shoulders. This broadens the inconvenience to everyone in the crowd, not just the one person behind them. If the kid were to fall off of the parent, and say- get critically injured in the spine? The parents could sue Disney for no reason. I think Disney should ban "shoulder riding" for our convenience as well as their own.

I think this is sarcasm, but I can't tell.
I'm no lawyer, but isn't this like a slip and fall thing...you couldn't sue Disney because your child fell off your shoulders because you chose to put them up there. Disney didn't create a dangerous physical condition that caused someone's child to fall off their shoulders. I mean they didn't create a condition in their parks that was hazardous that caused a child to fall off shoulders. If that were true, people could sue Disney every single time they did something dumb in the park and got hurt. Like if I walked around with my shoes untied and tripped and busted my head open. I think I'd have to prove Disney had some physical obstacle that was unsafe, that they knew about, and that they did nothing to remedy.

(sigh) And on another note, I wanted to eat some AK poop treats. Darn banning.:sad2:

I think this is sarcasm, but I can't tell.
I'm no lawyer, but isn't this like a slip and fall thing...you couldn't sue Disney because your child fell off your shoulders because you chose to put them up there. Disney didn't create a dangerous physical condition that caused someone's child to fall off their shoulders. I mean they didn't create a condition in their parks that was hazardous that caused a child to fall off shoulders. If that were true, people could sue Disney every single time they did something dumb in the park and got hurt. Like if I walked around with my shoes untied and tripped and busted my head open. I think I'd have to prove Disney had some physical obstacle that was unsafe, that they knew about, and that they did nothing to remedy.

(sigh) And on another note, I wanted to eat some AK poop treats. Darn banning.:sad2:

In reality, people can (and do) sue companies for pretty much anything. Whether the lawsuit will be successful is another story. Likely, the only people who benefit from something like that are the lawyers (and I am one, so I'm not bashing lawyers). It's just the truth. But I could see someone perhaps tripping over something with their child on their shoulders, and suing Disney, with perhaps more success. Disney put the hazard there AND allowed people to put a child on their shoulders. So if the child is injured, it's a foreseeable consequence. I don't know. I don't do personal injury work, but if it happened to someone I knew, that would be a tree I would bark up, so to speak.

I wanted to eat poop treats too. But I heard they didn't taste very good. :(

I would ban people that thing banning all sort of behavior will someone turn WDW into a theme park Garden of Eden. As long as you have a bunch of people in one place, some of them are going to annoy others. There is no amount of banning that will stop that from happening. At it is, quite frankly, ridiculous to think you can ban away all of life's annoyances.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Should they also remove all queue chains as kids are allowed to play with them by some brainless parents and could get hurt? How about the benches in the parks? Should the few that remain be removed because some brainless parents let their kids climb on them? How about all of the planters that double as benches? Kids climb on them and jump off all of the time, should they remove those too/ Or the pop jets, kids could play and get wet and then slip and fal. Maybe the fireworks should be banned, sometimes people get burned by the ash or an ash gets in someones eye...............................

You can't prevent all injury, no matter how many rules you put in place or how many dangers you remove.

n) don't tip their bartenders
I know you were mostly joking around, but I just wanted to put it out there there some people may fail to tip out of not realizing they are supposed to rather than being rude or something. In many cultures tipping just isn't a thing so when tourists from some places come to disney world they don't even think about that being a thing that would be done. I did enjoy your list though it gave me a good laugh!

I know you were mostly joking around, but I just wanted to put it out there there some people may fail to tip out of not realizing they are supposed to rather than being rude or something. In many cultures tipping just isn't a thing so when tourists from some places come to disney world they don't even think about that being a thing that would be done. I did enjoy your list though it gave me a good laugh!

I realize we may be veering off topic, but I don't care where you are from, it is rude to not tip according to the customs of the country in which you are visiting. It is incumbent on any visitor, when planning on visiting another country, to familiarize themselves with the social norms in situations in which they are likely to find themselves. Dining out and tipping is certainly one of those situations. Most people who travel internationally know this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter