Behaviours That Should Possibly Be Banned?

I realize we may be veering off topic, but I don't care where you are from, it is rude to not tip according to the customs of the country in which you are visiting. It is incumbent on any visitor, when planning on visiting another country, to familiarize themselves with the social norms in situations in which they are likely to find themselves. Dining out and tipping is certainly one of those situations.
I agree with you completely that when in another country you should meet their customs. I just also believe that when trying to plan out all the details of a disney vacation it may be overlooked. Especially for the cultures where tipping is not a thing at all they may not even think about reading up on something like that. I don't know maybe I think too leniently, I have never worked as a waiter or as someone whose main income is from tips so I may not see the whole picture. While we are off topic anyway I have seen your comments a lot in my browsing of the boards and I think you make some great contributions!

I think it probably should be. But it would take at LEAST double the amount of CM's currently on duty to even begin to enforce it, an there's no way Disney is going to shell out that kind of money every night.

I would like to ban misspelling the word "behaviors".

;)

But seriously, I agree that putting kids on shoulders is a bit rude, which is why I've always tried to do the hip carry or nothing. Get the kid's head at the same level of mine. Of course, then she can't see over the shoulder-sitters, but I can't solve every problem!

And even though it's a bit annoying, I'd stop well short of banning it.

Last edited:
I would ban tour groups whose numbers exceed 15 people. These massive group of tweens chanting, clapping, and screaming grate on my nerves. WDW is going to be a loud place but the singing and clapping and all that needs to tone down. It's disruptive to the overall experience of the parks and is, IMO, really just rude and inconsiderate.

If you can get your kid to your shoulders and keep them there, you can get your kid on your back with legs wrapped around the waist piggyback style. That puts their heads at shoulder level. (unless they are very young, in which case you can hold them on your hip, darnit) That way they can see almost like you can..

I am 6' tall, and weigh 275 lbs. At NO point in my life were any of my kids able to ride me piggy back style. They simply couldn't get their legs far enough around me for me to be able to hold them, but I had NO problem carrying them on my shoulders, for as long as they wanted. Never hit their heads on door ways, never dropped either of them, and I don't think it is any more a safety issue than carrying a kid on your hip, or in your arms. There is ALWAYS a possibility for something to go wrong, but I don't see any significant inherent danger in carrying a kid on your shoulders.

That being said, I DO think it is inconsiderate to do this at a parade, or fireworks / show, and I always looked for another way to get my kids a good view, but if shoulders was the only possibility, then that is what I did.

This is an OMG thing for me! I can't even believe anyone Would even bring this up. I've been going to Disney for 33 years and I would not blame any adult or say anything about putting your child on your shoulders to watch the fireworks. Disney is for kids and if they are standing another adults they aren't going to see anything but people. That's not what they are there for they want to see the magic. If they don't see the magic they are not going to want to come back. When my kids got big enough to see for themselves I stopped putting them on my shoulders. My kids are grown and they love disney and are doing the same with thee kids, making Disney enjoyable so they want to go back. Get a grip or so stand somewhere else..and I would be one of those that would say go bugger off if someone said something to me while I was doing that and I would think most dads would say the same...

WDW has been around for decades with millions of visitors a year. I think they already have a good handle on what should or should not be banned.

Dan

Disney is for kids

Disney is for EVERYBODY. I may not have kids, but I paid the same admission price as everyone else.

If you're going to put your kid on your shoulders, you owe the people behind you the courtesy of telling them that well before the event starts, so that they have time to find another spot. It's simple common courtesy. You're not more important that anyone else.

This is an OMG thing for me! I can't even believe anyone Would even bring this up. I've been going to Disney for 33 years and I would not blame any adult or say anything about putting your child on your shoulders to watch the fireworks. Disney is for kids and if they are standing another adults they aren't going to see anything but people. That's not what they are there for they want to see the magic. If they don't see the magic they are not going to want to come back. When my kids got big enough to see for themselves I stopped putting them on my shoulders. My kids are grown and they love disney and are doing the same with thee kids, making Disney enjoyable so they want to go back. Get a grip or so stand somewhere else..and I would be one of those that would say go bugger off if someone said something to me while I was doing that and I would think most dads would say the same...

So I guess the kids older than the shoulder sitting crowd or maybe a smaller stature special needs adult's need to see the show doesnt matter...sigh. There are others who the fireworks are for then the toddler age crowd.

I wish you would have told me that before me and DW went last December. I could have saved a lot of money! This is as asinine as saying that TS restaurants are just for adults. :confused3 There could possibly be adults that want to see the magic too.

WDW has been around for decades with millions of visitors a year. I think they already have a good handle on what should or should not be banned.

I can't help but wonder why Disney didn't ban selfie sticks in 1985 instead of waiting until 2015. In 1985 WDW had been operating for more than a decade and DL had been operating for 40 years. Surely they should have had a good handle on what should be banned back then.

I guess some people might say that things change over the course of half a century, and that a responsible hospitality company should constantly reassess their policies to guarantee the continued safety and comfort of their guests in light of changing technology, social mores, and vulnerability assessments. But your idea of "if it hasn't been banned by now, it should be allowed forever" has the appeal of the simple bright line.

I can't help but wonder why Disney didn't ban selfie sticks in 1985 instead of waiting until 2015. In 1985 WDW had been operating for more than a decade and DL had been operating for 40 years. Surely they should have had a good handle on what should be banned back then.

I guess some people might say that things change over the course of half a century, and that a responsible hospitality company should constantly reassess their policies to guarantee the continued safety and comfort of their guests in light of changing technology, social mores, and vulnerability assessments. But your idea of "if it hasn't been banned by now, it should be allowed forever" has the appeal of the simple bright line.

Your heavy sarcasm aside... :)

Selfie sticks were already mentioned by the OP as not the topic of this thread.

My case in point: Have any of the things mentioned in this 5 page thread so far not been around for decades? ;) If they were a significant issue, they would have been dealt with by WDW or DL already. At least that's my opinion on it.

Dan

I agree many of these things are annoying but would be difficult to enforce a ban on. My pet peeve has to do with stage shows at the castle. For Wishes, Celebrate the Magic, and all of the parades there are many places that you could get there early stake out a good spot and be able to see with no issues...for the castle shows, once the people in the front row (probably only about 50 across) decide they are going to stand instead of sit anyone under 5'5 has little shot of getting a view of the show...definitely counts out my 7 year old. Last time we were there the entire area in front of the stage was sitting down and when the show started one family in the front row stood (4 adults and one toddler...their right to do...I know, I know). Once they were standing it was a domino effect of everyone standing up and me calming DD down the entire show because she couldn't see...and anyone who has heard that age girl whine knows it's like nails on a chalkboard! I have a "like to fix it" personality and it was difficult to know that hundreds more people would have been able to see if this one family had just sat down (because everyone behind them was willing to sit as well so the people behind them could see and so on). All that said...I tend to just try and go with the flow because it's not worth getting upset over...I say try because I could also post a story in that other thread that's up right now about being "that rude person" at Disney but I'd prefer not to relive that one lol :rolleyes1

And while we're at it, let's ban people who:
u) won't fill in all the available seats in the row starting at the other end

u) See that all too often. Unfortunately for the offenders, I can be a bit clumsy passing them by and inevitably step on their feet no matter how much I try!

My case in point: Have any of the things mentioned in this 5 page thread so far not been around for decades? If they were a significant issue, they would have been dealt with by WDW or DL already.

Aside from the phones and tablets? Or the new shows requiring different sight lines, such as castle projection shows? Or FP+ viewing areas? Or the massive changes in the makeup of the park guests (strollers, ECVs, foreign tour groups, etc.)?

Your Panglossian view is that all Disney policies are already perfect, because if they weren't already perfect somebody would have changed them to make them perfect. To put it mildly, that is a minority opinion.

I wish you would have told me that before me and DW went last December. I could have saved a lot of money! This is as asinine as saying that TS restaurants are just for adults. :confused3 There could possibly be adults that want to see the magic too.

TS restaurants should be for anyone (adults and children) who know how to behave and be respectful of others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter