Bad experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to say but by the time your imaginary passenger falls out they've probably already been run over before the "conductor" can call a stop to the tram. But it's hard to speculate because we're taking about an imaginary passenger and I would need more details on the speed of the tram, location of the seat etc to give you an accurate answer.

I do know that public transportation like trains and busses and planes have emergency features that stop them quickly (except for the plane of course - those do other pretty serious things) and if you use them in a non-emergency situation, things don't work out too good for you.

If things went down the way OP states, I'd have to say whoever called for emergency braking over an open umbrella probably better take a chill pill.

It is a safety call. Just like if someone stands up in the tram even if for a split second they have to stop the tram. An open umbrella can block the view of the CM in the back who is watching the safety of the passengers on the tram so the driver can focus on the road.

If a CM doesn't make a safety call and they are caught it is an automatic reprimand in the safety category. Say they didn't make the call on the umbrella and someone does indeed fall out. Then that CM suddenly has enough for being terminated because of 1 call they didn't make. Not a fun situation.

I don't think there's enough detail to understand what actually happened. If the driver really "slammed on the brakes", as people are assuming, why was OP's son the only person who was injured? If this stop was as abrupt as people are assuming, it seems like there would have been a lot more injuries.

The trams also have a very low top speed (20 MPH, I think), and if they had just gotten underway would likely not have reached that speed yet. So it's hard for me to imagine how hard this stop could have been to immediately cause the bruising the OP stated was there. Doesn't all add up for me, sorry.

I wasnt looking for monetary compensation . A few extra fastpasses would have been a nice makeup up for the situation . As far as Ohanas I was trying to cancel our reservation from the time of the incident but could not get through on the line . When you make a dining reservation your cardte is charged whether you show up or not . Before I was able to check in at Ohanas someone without a reservation checked in and was seated before us .
As far as the tram being responsible I think they could have braked a little softer . I dont disagree with stopping but the manner of the stop caused the situation . The gentleman that was warned repeatedly was only told to close the umbrella He should have been thrown off .

I wasnt looking for monetary compensation . A few extra fastpasses would have been a nice makeup up for the situation . As far as Ohanas I was trying to cancel our reservation from the time of the incident but could not get through on the line . When you make a dining reservation your cardte is charged whether you show up or not . Before I was able to check in at Ohanas someone without a reservation checked in and was seated before us .
As far as the tram being responsible I think they could have braked a little softer . I dont disagree with stopping but the manner of the stop caused the situation . The gentleman that was warned repeatedly was only told to close the umbrella He should have been thrown off .

Just in case it happens again if you want to cancel the meal you can go to guest relations at the park or to the front desk of your hotel and have them let the restaurant know not to charge you the no show fee since it was an accident on property that caused you to need to cancel.

So all this fuss IS over the fact you didn't get freebies.

How fast was the tram moving that your son was slammed into the seat in front of him with such force that it either knocked the wind out of him or caused him so much pain that he was temporarily unable to move on his own? Was he thrown sideways that he hit his shoulder or was he seated properly?

I feel like I'm missing something here.

How fast was the tram moving that your son was slammed into the seat in front of him with such force that it either knocked the wind out of him or caused him so much pain that he was temporarily unable to move on his own? Was he thrown sideways that he hit his shoulder or was he seated properly?

I feel the same way. They called an ambulance too.

If you had explained that you were cancelling your reservation due to the tram incident you would not have been charged the no-show fee. Of course the person who checked in (even without an ADR) was seated before you could check in. YOU HADN'T CHECKED IN YET...how would Disney know you were there??? You were already late and probably marked a no-show so there was no reason they couldn't accept the walk-up guests. They were very accommodating, as I expect they would/should be when you did arrive late, and they seated when they could.

The bottom line is your son is ok. That truly is what matters, isn't it?

I was also wondering how he was seated. He must have been facing sideways if he slammed his shoulder? OP did you decline the ambulance?

When you make a dining reservation your cardte is charged whether you show up or not .

Places like ohana will charge $10 per person no-show if no one goes. If one person goes they charge nothing. But it wouldn't have been the whole cost that was charged.

Before I was able to check in at Ohanas someone without a reservation checked in and was seated before us .

Doubt it was someone with no adr. They don't have true "save the table for you" reservations. Someone got seated earlier than they expected, but it was unlikely it was someone who didn't have an adr at all.

I think another factor to remember is that it's highly unlikely the tram driver can see much behind him/her and almost definitely can't hear anything. Those trams are very loud...ever sat in the front car? I've seen the drivers wearing hearing protection, and I'm sure they have an ear bud in so they can hear the CM in the back. Beyond the CM on the mic, I doubt they hear anything. So when the CM calls for an unexpected stop, the driver has no clue why...a guest opening an umbrella? a child jumping off the tram? a child fall off and get run over? All the driver knows is they have to stop and stop now.

I'm right there with you. I can't fathom how the child was so injured in the story as it's been presented thus far. Something doesn't add up or a piece of the story is missing. The trams just don't move fast enough, or get going fast enough, to cause serious injury to someone seated properly.

Not even addressing trying to get something additional. That's just beyond the pale to me.

The quoted paragraph (and bolded part especially) are what I continually have a problem with. What did you expect to get out of it? Medical assistance was called for and taken care of. I just get tired of people always thinking Disney owes them fastpasses and free ice cream and more and more. Yes, I have had issues with Disney and I have complained but I've never been seeking any freebies, just to remedy whatever the issues is.

I totally agree. Stuff happens. Both my father and I fell off a curb at Disneyland because they had dimmed the lights very low in a particular area just off the parade route while it was going on. My Dad had a small cut, so he asked for a Band-Aid at the care center. I sprained my ankle pretty bad and it limited me for the rest of the trip. I didn't ask for anything... it never even occurred to me to do so. If you are complaining that you ate later than planned and you missed the fireworks, your step-son isn't THAT hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter