• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from 1st Trip to DL- Thoughts

Ilovestitch

DIS Veteran
My boyfriend and I got back this week from our first trip to DL. We live on the east coast and go to WDW every 4-6 months. I work in the travel industry and Disney was offering a DL deal too good to refuse so that's why we went. We had a BLAST! I was surprised by a lot of things at DL, here's some thoughts (wasn't sure if this belonged in trip reports or not since it's not like a day by day report):

We flew into LAX and made no reservations for transportation. We grabbed our luggage and walked outside, after a few minutes the DL Express bus pulled up and we were on our way- couldn't have been easier. There was only 6 people on our bus.

The Grand Californian is a BEAUTIFUL hotel. Our room was super clean and overlooked the World of Disney store and a clear view of Space Mt. As soon as we walked in the hotel- we both thought it smelled like Disney, it was weird.

It was really shocking how close everything was. I've seen pictures but just walking out of the GC lobby and right through the turnstiles into DCA blew our minds. It was so nice to walk to the parks and back to the hotel, what a time saver.

We were pleasantly surprised with the California Adventure park. I went there with no expectations since the things I've heard about the park over the years weren't so good. We thought the park was awesome- I'd much rather spend the day there versus MGM or AK. I love the Grizzly section- the landscaping was amazing. We didn't think the park looked cheap at all. Loved California Screamin and the moving car on the Sunwheel :scared1:

I was also pleasantly surprised by the Magic Kingdom. Eventhough it's 20 years older than the MK at WDW, DL looks NEWER! I couldn't believe it- the park is much cleaner and everything still looks new- very well taken care of- really gorgeous park. We really saw no trash- maybe a cup in one of the lines at the end of the night but that's expected. I was expecting the park to be smaller but it still seemed big to me. The buildings like in Adventureland and New Orleans Square all seemed more detailed than WDW. POTC is a thousand times better than at WDW, same with Haunted Mansion. Loved the Alice in Wonderland dark ride- I can't figure out how you get to the top. lol

The only thing I liked better at WDW was the food choices. I was expecting DL to not have as much and we only ate counter service. I just think the counter service choices are better at WDW. Could be that we know all the good places at WDW and we were just playing it by ear at DL. Also it never seemed like there were any tables to sit at. Next time I'll make some priority seatings. I really wanted to eat at Redd Rockets after reading about it but it was closed the whole time we were there. The best thing I ate was the breakfast burrito at Whitewater Snacks.. omg that was so good.

I did notice the CM's at DL we very "disney"- super friendly and smiling. Even the CM cleaning tables at Pinocchios asked how my day was- which I've never had happen at WDW. At the shops the CM's always made conversation and seemed genuinely interested. Really impressive.

My boyfriend can't wait to go back again. Next time I'll go longer and rent a car to maybe go to the beach/sightsee. All in all DL totally exceeded by expectations.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!:) We're going for the first time in June after many WDW trips (just got back in Feb.) I LOVE :love: to hear reviews like this one!

Nice report. I am always glad to see someone who loves WDW see how DLR has some really cool aspects. DL itself is in tiptop shape as a result of the 50th anniversary celebration, so that may be why it looked so much better than MK. They have been paying a lot of attention to maintenance at DL.

I am glad you liked DCA. It is a fun park with a bad rap. IMO it compares well to MGM and AK in particular and a trip to DLR would not be complete without it.

WDW vets accustomed to buses, boats, etc., typically do not grasp how awesome it is at DLR to being able to walk right to the parks. It is a huge time saver and stress reducer, IMO. The "smallness" of DLR compared to WDW has its advantages, along with the disadvantages.

Being DLR vets, I figured our first trip to WDW in 2006 would also be our last. But it hooked me, and we are planning a second trip in 2008. So we had a similar reaction as you.

It is disappointing to hear from others when they are vets of one resort and visit the other resort and are disappointed. Their complaints are usually how the opposite resort is not like their home resort. That is not a fair measuring stick. Of course they are different. That is what makes each one so cool.

It appears you went with a very open mind, which is the best way to go. For folks who truly loves Disney, I have a hard time seeing how they could not love both WDW and DLR.

I love DL. We are going to WDW for our first ever visit in 21 days. I hope that I won't be disappointed in MK though.

Having grown up in Southern California, I love to read such glowing reviews "my" Disneyland. I've never been to WDW and I'm sure I'd love it, but Disneyland (and now DCA) are like home to me. Yes it's an awesome place! Glad you had fun. :)

Great post!! We are also WDW vets (and DVC owners) we will be making our first trip to DL in 2 1/2 weeks :cool1: :cheer2: We can't wait!!!!

Wonderful to hear that we have another Disneyland fan in the works. Disneyland really is a wonderful park. Although I have nothing to compare it to. I am going again to DL in June of this year, but after this trip I want to go to WDW to see the difference. I think it would be a total blast to see the differences. I mean there are some different attractions there that DL doesnt have and im sure you found the same thing with DL. It would be a nice change of pace.

Loved your post. I'm a WDW junkie (40 times and counting). I went to DL last year during the 50th celebration, and from the minute I walked into DL I was hooked! It was the little details that got me. DL has it's own charm; I can't compare WDW with DL --it's a totally different experience. And, yes, I liked DCA a lot. Heck, I liked those parks so much I came back in August and bought an annual pass! I'm going again next week, and looking forward to seeing it all again. :yay:

Well, you certainly sold me! :)

I've been wondering about booking into the Grand Californian and spending some time at Disneyland before the repositioning cruise in August of 2008. I've never been to DL and DCA before and was wondering if I would like them. I've been spoiled by my two times a year at WDW.

I have read other people's reports about DL and the resort hotels as well. They are all encouraging. Yours was really the one that helped me make my decision.

Glad you had a great time. I'm now hoping for the same!

The Grand Californian is a BEAUTIFUL hotel. Our room was super clean and overlooked the World of Disney store and a clear view of Space Mt. As soon as we walked in the hotel- we both thought it smelled like Disney, it was weird.
It was a bit of a walk, but the room was great. If she had her way she'd have a Jamba Juice view room.

It was so nice to walk to the parks and back to the hotel, what a time saver.
I don't know how I'm gonna be able to wait for buses anymore.

We were pleasantly surprised with the California Adventure park. I went there with no expectations since the things I've heard about the park over the years weren't so good. We thought the park was awesome- I'd much rather spend the day there versus MGM or AK. I love the Grizzly section- the landscaping was amazing. We didn't think the park looked cheap at all. Loved California Screamin and the moving car on the Sunwheel :scared1:
I had also heard some negative things about this park, and I have to say that in the end I'm glad I heard them. I came in with low expectations and came out really surprised. <3 Sunwheel, <3 Screamin

I was expecting the park to be smaller but it still seemed big to me. The buildings like in Adventureland and New Orleans Square all seemed more detailed than WDW. POTC is a thousand times better than at WDW, same with Haunted Mansion.
Again, I liked POTC a lot better, there was more TLC on HM, but I really liked SM, Matterhorn and OMG INDY!

The only thing I liked better at WDW was the food choices. I was expecting DL to not have as much and we only ate counter service. I just think the counter service choices are better at WDW. The best thing I ate was the breakfast burrito at Whitewater Snacks.. omg that was so good.
Yeah, the dining at the parks in WDW was better, but a cheeseburger is a cheeseburger to me. The nowhere to sit comment is 100% true, and I agree MY breakfast burrito was great :)

My boyfriend can't wait to go back again. Next time I'll go longer and rent a car to maybe go to the beach/sightsee. All in all DL totally exceeded by expectations.

It's true. I wanna be there like now.

Thanks for the great review, and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

It's all about being openminded and optimistic, IMO. Of course, that statement could go for just about anything in life, not just Disney!!! :lmao:

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on DL. We are WDW vets who recently became Southern California residents and will be making our first trip to DL this weekend. :goodvibes I'll share our thoughts after our trip. :)

I remember you, you were the one that got that great deal at the GCH! I really enjoyed your report/comments. As a WDW and DL regular and lover, it is always nice to see such reports. And I must say, since the 50th, this is generally the norm, WDW visitors loving Disneyland and appreciating all it has to offer. I wish some of the people that responded on a poll/thread on the WDW side could read this, many of them said they preferred WDW over DL despite the fact they had never even been to DL! :confused3 Too many people get hung up on the size thing ;) ! Both parks are wonderful and have so much to offer, there's no need to prefer one over the other since they can each be enjoyed independently for their similarities and differences.

I also was glad to hear that you liked DCA. We happen to love DCA and never have been able to figure out why others don't. It has some great rides and imho the best live Disney show at either DL or WDW.

Welcome home, I hope you can return to DL and when you do, definitely try out some of the full service restaurants. I actually prefer the cs at DL but love all the full service restaurants (and the DDP) at WDW. But DL does have some good options, Blue Bayou (think San Angel Inn) as well as some great character meals in and out of the parks. And DTD has some great options. But cs seating is definitely a problem at DL which is why we tend to snack a lot and eat at very weird times!

Thanks so much for posting!

What a great review! I'm taking my mom to Disneyland in May for a surprise Mother's Day trip (1st time for both of us). DH and I are DVC members and former WDW CMs, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I like your approach of no expectations-- sounds like a good plan to me!

I felt the same way about both parks. As a WDW veteran, I went to DL expecting it to be "okay", but certainly not on par with WDW. Imagine my shock when I got there and said, wait a minute, this park is fabulous. The flowers that scented every walkway, the fresh paint and beautiful color schemes on Main Street, very very clean walkways, every CM a delight to speak with, the rides were wonderful and I'm a big fan of Alice too! I even went at a time when POTC was closed at DL and I still loved every inch of the park.

DCA was a wonderful way to spend the day. I loved the park and I know whatever changes they make there will only make a really nice park, even better.

I love DL. We are going to WDW for our first ever visit in 21 days. I hope that I won't be disappointed in MK though.

It isn't Disneyland and never will be. But look at it this way. If it were Disneyland, would there really be any reason to go? If you judge Mk for what it is, rather than for not being Disneyland, I think you'll enjoy your trip.

I had been to WDW over 50 times before I got the chance to go for my first trip to Disneyland. People told me over and over that I would be bored and disappointed and it is so tiny.:confused3 I decided to go with the thought that "this was the park that Walt walked in". I never needed that attitude. Disneyland is a beautiful and charming park. Instead of being disappointed in Disneyland, I found myself EXTREMELY disappointed that WDW's attractions are so inferior even though WDW has access to so much space. I could not BELIEVE that with all that room, WDW has done so little with it.

DH and I were there on July 17th for the 50th and we are going back this July with our DS12 for his very first trip there (he is soooooo excited!)

Suzi

When DW and I booked our first trip ever to DL after going to WDW a few times, I was skeptical. We had small kids (5,3) and thought WDW was too big for them and had heard how much smaller DL was, so we decided to give it a try. Well let me tell you, now the kids are 7 & 5 and we are going back to DL. In reality I tell everyone I know go there instead of WDW. Like others have said, the ability to get everwhere you need on foot and the details of the park can not be explained until you have been there. I think it will be a long time before I go back to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter