Avoiding Cheerleaders and "15s"

Boy, I was set on going and staying at POP and POR in late Apr/early May in 2016. So glad I have changed my mind to an October trip.

We had "15s" at POR during the same time and they didn't bother us at all. Perhaps because it's a bigger resort?

So happy the 15s weren't at POR when we were. They were out of control at MK last week when we were there. And it wasn't the chanting that bothered me. It was them pushing my 2 young kids out of the way so they could see the FoF parade. Very rude. I'm sorry but you shouldn't allow 20 or so 15 yo girls loose with no supervision. And just the day before I was telling my DH how wrong I thought Dis was and that I didn't see any problems with them. Now my boys are scared of them.
We were at O'Hana for dinner and during the coconut race my youngest was pushed out of the way. I asked him who did it and he said "I'd the 15s were here it was probably them"

My daughters cheer squad was there this past week for Nationals and they have the choice of choosing any of the all-stars, Pop, CRB, and CSR. I also know from previous years that AoA is very popular as well. POR may be your only option if you want to avoid the cheer groups.

Cheerleaders and other groups stay at Port Orleans Riverside too. The year I went in March with my Mom we stayed a week at POR and had cheerleaders practicing their cheers in the courtyard (we were in Oak Manor) and we saw them in the parks as well.

We were at POR for 8 nights last month and there were a lot of groups of girls (Brazilian?). Never had any big problems with them, except for once they filled a bus as others were waiting and had to wait for a second bus at one of the bus stops at the resort. And we had a prank phone call from a girl at 2:00 in the morning. :( But we never heard any excessive noise at night so maybe they were fairly well chaperoned.

We are there April 23 -may 10, Staying at POP. Are we going to hit mass amounts these groups? And I agree 75% of the time its the moms not girls. Im a dance mom and I told my girls if I ever get like that smack me upside the head!
LOL - I'm an All Star cheer mom and have told my DD the same thing.
You will hit huge groups of All Star cheerleaders the last weekend in April (Worlds) and the first weekend in May (Summit). I'll be there with DD for Summit but DD is having spine surgery next week so she will not be competing. We are staying at AKL because she will still have limited endurance and limited ability to do the parks. We are not your typical cheer family in that we choose to stay away from the teams, we are there to compete but use the rest of our time as a vacation. Although last year for Summit, CBR was not an option and that is where we stayed.
Many gyms have curfews for athletes.
All Star cheer is different in that, they don't 'cheer'. Their routines consist of stunting, tumbling, and dancing. They never actually speak while on the mat. Most of the large gyms have lectured their athletes about behavior. I know my DDs gym will spend a practice session talking to athletes about what type of behavior is expected. They are reminded that they are there representing the gym and need to act accordingly. Busses and food court will be busy as it would if the resort were fully booked. Parks will be busy but the athletes spend a large amount of time at ESPN WWoS.

ISAF Cheerleading World Tournaments are April 25-27 at WDW and Pop is one of the resorts being offered for their packages. Much of the time they will be competing at WWOS. Practice venues are being offered at Coronado Springs Resort (likely in the convention center). There will be a private party for them at DHS. Don't know what day that is, or if it will affect the park's closing time.

Found it, it's April 27. Don't know what time
The private party is Sunday night of each weekend - last weekend in April for Worlds and the first weekend in May for Summit. The party is a private seperate ticket event at HS. I don't know the normal park hours but on those nights the park closes about 7:30 or 8:00 if I remember correctly. Resorts for Summit - first weekend in May: All Stars, POP, and CBR.

In the winter it is not just 15s. It is summer break in South America. In December we usually ran in to large groups but they were usually older college students. Our only issue with it in the parks would be that they would stick together to go on rides, if headed to ToT behind them, it would mean 30 people right in front of you.
With cheer you will very rarely find groups that large trying to get on the same ride.

Disney doesn't mind collecting money from nice little families who behave; or loud, rude, mobs of people who don't... The only way they try to keep the "15's" and other groups under control is when it starts to cost them money. So if your visit is ruined by these groups, say so. Call Disney and tell them that you didn't get the quality vacation you paid for. They will probably offer you something to smooth it over (ex. a free week at same level of resort). If you just "let it go", it will only be worse next visit so, again SAY something if your trip is ruined!

Disney doesn't mind collecting money from nice little families who behave; or loud, rude, mobs of people who don't... The only way they try to keep the "15's" and other groups under control is when it starts to cost them money. So if your visit is ruined by these groups, say so. Call Disney and tell them that you didn't get the quality vacation you paid for. They will probably offer you something to smooth it over (ex. a free week at same level of resort). If you just "let it go", it will only be worse next visit so, again SAY something if your trip is ruined!
I agree. People need to start speaking up about them. I went to GS and let them know that I didn't enjoy the parade that I got there early for bc these girls pushed my children out of the way and kept pushing me and shoving their phone in my face. They gave us FP for any ride that day. Which was a nice gesture. I didn't complain to get something just so Disney is aware of the problem.

is there a website to find out when Disney Sports is running some of their competitions? I have run into over the years the Pop Warner (?) football and baseball kids, the cheerleaders and the 15"s. a CM at an all star resort told me the 15's that come in are a travel group (since it is so expensive to travel - one travel agent brings like 70 kids in a trip) but they have to pay for their own buses, food etc NO DISCOUNTS FOR THEM and they spend TONS of money.... i guess because when a niece of mine was going out of the country all the family gave her money to spend... so i get that...might be a once in a lifetime thing for them....but they need better control of these groups....toss a group out once in a while and the word will get around...the last time i stayed at Music (2012) they were overrunning the place (july) and they would leave all their food on the tables in the food courts - etc - things we teach our kids not to do... cant do anything about the 15's but would be nice to know when the cheerleading comps and big stuff like that were...then can re-arange our trips

Ugh, that would be a total nightmare for me. How/where do you research to find out when they will be there?

is there a website to find out when Disney Sports is running some of their competitions? I have run into over the years the Pop Warner (?) football and baseball kids, the cheerleaders and the 15"s. a CM at an all star resort told me the 15's that come in are a travel group (since it is so expensive to travel - one travel agent brings like 70 kids in a trip) but they have to pay for their own buses, food etc NO DISCOUNTS FOR THEM and they spend TONS of money.... i guess because when a niece of mine was going out of the country all the family gave her money to spend... so i get that...might be a once in a lifetime thing for them....but they need better control of these groups....toss a group out once in a while and the word will get around...the last time i stayed at Music (2012) they were overrunning the place (july) and they would leave all their food on the tables in the food courts - etc - things we teach our kids not to do... cant do anything about the 15's but would be nice to know when the cheerleading comps and big stuff like that were...then can re-arange our trips

After the last two years with the 15's, being placed right in the middle of them, my hotel experience completely ruined and miserable, I have delayed my trip until next week (most should be starting back to school). I'm still on pins that my room will not be where I requested at POP - they put them in 80's and 90's. Their behavior is awful and their rooms disgusting and we ended up not swimming, eating at the food court or riding the buses. At that point I might as well been offsite.

That said, my DD is a CM and they were told that this year several companies are not coming back because Disney informed them they are no longer welcome. Of course this won't stop any kids from coming, they will switch companies but at least it has happened. My suggestion to everyone is when you have a negative experience - write down that tour groups name and your issues. At the end of your trip send letters to file complaints regarding the specific company and their behavior. If Disney gets enough letters about them, hopefully they will also be told they can't come back. If it starts happening enough maybe they will get the companies/kids back under control like they did a few years back. I'll be heading down next week with a pen and paper in my backpack and will be contacting Disney with names.

Ugh, that would be a total nightmare for me. How/where do you research to find out when they will be there?

15's are there January & February nonstop and during our summer break. There is no break from their behavior 24/7.

For Cheers these are some competition dates, this will not account for days before and after for fun days. At resort my experience has been the cheer practice that runs late, in that case go to the front desk (in person) and complain so they stop, they fill the food courts but no more than an other time when the resort if full and I have never had issues with them on buses and in the parks. They are there mostly to compete. Their packages are primarily All Stars, Caribbean Beach Resort and some POP. They might be found at POR and CSR but not usually or many.

This will get you started :rolleyes: for 2015:

Jan 16-18 World U Cheer Championship

Jan 19 USA Cheer Tryouts

Jan 19 Florida Dance Championship

Jan 31-Feb 1 National Dance Team

Jan 31-Feb 1 International All Star Championship

Jan 31 – Feb 1 World School Cheer Dance Championship

Feb 7-8 World School Cheer Championship

Feb 13-16 Twirl Mania

Feb 27-28 Studio Dance

Feb 27-28 School Dance and Drill

Feb 27 – March 1 Contest of Champions

Mar 1 All Star Cheer & Dance

Mar 1 School Cheer & Recreation Cheer

Mar 7-8 All Star Challenge Cheer & Dance

Mar 21-22 AmeriCheer

April 10-12 Spring Dance

April 23-24 World Cheerleading Championships

April 25-27 Dance Worlds

April 25-27 Cheer Worlds

May 1-3 Summit All Star Cheerleading

Noooo! We will be there March 21-22nd - I was so excited to try CBR now that the beds are queen but I just checked Americheer website and they are staying at All-Stars and CBR :crazy2:
Hopper Fan - I owe you big time - thank you!!! Going to switch right now.

I am an All Star mom, too :D We will be at Summit, and I have been there with Pop Warner, as well. It's frustrating to have the misbehaving ones ruin it for all the rest of us! Our gym is committed to exemplary behavior, and anything less won't be tolerated. My suggestion is if you see kids acting out of line, note the gym they are with, and touch base with a coach if possible, or a CM.
Another positive for Summit - it is not a "Stay to Play" event, so most of us are staying off site :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter