Aulani - Character Experiences and Dates

EAHajd

Earning My Ears
Good morning!!

We are heading to Aulani in June ‘23. I had a few questions and not sure if this has been asked before:

1. My daughter is OBSESSED with Duffy and Shellie May. Do they come out everyday or just some days? Do they alternate? We are only going for 2 nights/3 days and I worry that my daughter is going to miss out on seeing them.

2. When can you start booking the Luau, Spa, restaurants, etc? Is it 60 days out like WDW?

Thank you all! We are so looking forward to our first trip!

Good morning!!

We are heading to Aulani in June ‘23. I had a few questions and not sure if this has been asked before:

1. My daughter is OBSESSED with Duffy and Shellie May. Do they come out everyday or just some days? Do they alternate? We are only going for 2 nights/3 days and I worry that my daughter is going to miss out on seeing them.

2. When can you start booking the Luau, Spa, restaurants, etc? Is it 60 days out like WDW?

1. Your daughter has excellent taste. On our week-long mid-August 2022 trip, Duffy, Shellie May, and Olu appeared on 6 of the seven days. We saw each of them two days out of the seven days. It was only one of them per day. If June 2023 is similar to August 2022, there is a good chance you will see at least 2 of them, assuming you spend three full days at Aulani.
2. I think the Luau was 180 days because I booked in February for the August trip. Makahiki Restaurant was 30 days. I did not do the spa.

1. Your daughter has excellent taste. On our week-long mid-August 2022 trip, Duffy, Shellie May, and Olu appeared on 6 of the seven days. We saw each of them two days out of the seven days. It was only one of them per day. If June 2023 is similar to August 2022, there is a good chance you will see at least 2 of them, assuming you spend three full days at Aulani.
2. I think the Luau was 180 days because I booked in February for the August trip. Makahiki Restaurant was 30 days. I did not do the spa.
Thank you so much for the information!! We are hopeful about seeing SM, Duffy or Olu Mel. Really, we are hoping they come back to WDW!

:)

Good morning!!

The luau is hosted by Aulani, but run by a third party. It's not a consistent "180 days" or anything exact. Right now, reservations are available through January 2023. They usually release whole months at a time, so when February 1 comes available, all of February will come available.

The luau is hosted by Aulani, but run by a third party. It's not a consistent "180 days" or anything exact. Right now, reservations are available through January 2023. They usually release whole months at a time, so when February 1 comes available, all of February will come available.
Thank you for the information. Good to know! Do they serve food at the Luau?

Thank you for the information. Good to know! Do they serve food at the Luau?
Yes, it's a full meal, including dessert. But it's best to think of it like a show that happens to include a meal rather than a meal that happens to include a show. The food is good, but don't go in expecting a $150 dinner.

Yes, it's a full meal, including dessert. But it's best to think of it like a show that happens to include a meal rather than a meal that happens to include a show. The food is good, but don't go in expecting a $150 dinner.
I wasn’t expecting anything crazy. Are alcoholic drinks included?

Looking forward to being at Aulani (even if only for a few days!).

Good morning!!

I have been checking the Aulani app, it has the daily Iwa (released daily at 8ish am Hawaiian time), which shows which characters are meeting each day. I have seen Duffy/Shellie May at least twice a week, so I think there is a good chance to run into them during your stay!

Also, does anyone know if there is rain, are character experiences cancelled or moved indoors?

You can book 180 days in advance which is why reservations are available through January 2023. If you wish to book for February 1st, it will become available tomorrow, 09/05/22. And so on. The Ka Wa Luau is held on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights in case anyone wondered.

You can book 180 days in advance which is why reservations are available through January 2023. If you wish to book for February 1st, it will become available tomorrow, 09/05/22. And so on.
That is not correct. They release dates roughly six months in advance but it is NOT exactly 180 days. 180 days from today is March 4, not February 1.

Pre-covid, everybody got one "welcome drink" included and people who bought VIP tickets got unlimited drinks at the bar.

Now, everyone gets unlimited drinks included but there's no walk-up bar, drinks are brought by the wait staff and they're not the fastest.

It remains to be seen whether this was a temporary COVID change that might switch back at some point, or if we should expect it to be permanent. The other two major COVID changes is that they cut back on pre-show activities for kids, and the meal switched from buffet-style to bento box style.

Looking forward to being at Aulani (even if only for a few days!).
Yes, the luau included alcoholic drinks. I had a general admission ticket. If I remember correctly, the choices were five mixed drinks, one white wine, one red wine, and two beers.

I have been checking the Aulani app, it has the daily Iwa (released daily at 8ish am Hawaiian time), which shows which characters are meeting each day. I have seen Duffy/Shellie May at least twice a week, so I think there is a good chance to run into them during your stay!

Also, does anyone know if there is rain, are character experiences cancelled or moved indoors?
Moved indoors or under cover

Moved indoors or under cover
Yes, the luau included alcoholic drinks. I had a general admission ticket. If I remember correctly, the choices were five mixed drinks, one white wine, one red wine, and two beers.
Pre-covid, everybody got one "welcome drink" included and people who bought VIP tickets got unlimited drinks at the bar.

Now, everyone gets unlimited drinks included but there's no walk-up bar, drinks are brought by the wait staff and they're not the fastest.

It remains to be seen whether this was a temporary COVID change that might switch back at some point, or if we should expect it to be permanent. The other two major COVID changes is that they cut back on pre-show activities for kids, and the meal switched from buffet-style to bento box style.
This is all amazing information! Thank you so much for all of this great information!

Thank you for the information, I will definitely keep a close watch on the app!

You can book 180 days in advance which is why reservations are available through January 2023. If you wish to book for February 1st, it will become available tomorrow, 09/05/22. And so on. The Ka Wa Luau is held on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights in case anyone wondered.
Thank you for the information!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter