~ Aug 2013~ Sew what... We've gotta find a way back! Part I!!

Also, something that may interest you... It definitely interested me... Target will now be carrying Southwest GCs... Which means, we could also get our great Target disounts (which ever ones you all qualify for) for airfare as well. There is one stipulation on the back of the GCs though, and that is: A limit of 4 GCs may be used per transaction... Which means, each GC is $50, so your round trip airfare would have to be less than $200. And each person in your party would have to be a seperate transaction. So, potentially - it could be a decent $$ savings (considering that SW has no baggage fees), but it could also be a huge pain... Your choice...

If your flights are more than $200, couldn't you just pay the remainder in cash? And if your flights were less than $200, you'd still have X dollars sitting on your gift card. Which will be sitting there until your next trip.

For example. We're staying at a Marriott for DD's wedding in Nashville next month. Our hotel bill will be about $310. When Krogers had it 4X fuel points, we bought $300 in gift cards. We'll pay $10 OOP. Better than buying another $50 in gift cards, not knowing when we'll stop again at a Marriott.

I'd LOVE it if Target would start carrying Sun Country GCs, since I love their flight times to Orlando and it's non-stop from our airport. I'd totally be buying those. But as of now, all I could see was the Southwest GCs. Something to watch for anyways.

Southwest is the only airline I know that sells gift cards in stores. It would be nice though; however Southwest doesn't come within 100 miles of Cincinnati. Besides, we drive anyway.

I wish other hotels would sell gift cards in stores besides Marriott. I'm going to a crochet convention in a Sheraton outside Indianapolis in July. Sure be nice to save a few bucks in gift cards, especially since this is a solo trip.

Hey D, what machine would you recommend for applique? I've experimented with several and I just can't get a smooth satin stitch!? Where do you set your stitch length? I know you have had problems with Mr. Rocket, but he is an awesome looking machine :goodvibes

Hey D, what machine would you recommend for applique? I've experimented with several and I just can't get a smooth satin stitch!? Where do you set your stitch length? I know you have had problems with Mr. Rocket, but he is an awesome looking machine :goodvibes

Boy that's a toughie Stephanie... I honestly have no idea... I recommend you ask on the Disbou thread, because my only experience with hand applique is with my first machine (an 80s Brother - and I only did about 3 appliques on him, before I realized that he would never live up to my expectations) and Mr. Rocket... To be honest - I am still not happy with Mr. R's appliques either, but I would never tell him that.

As for settings, I am not sure that Mr. R's settings would help you much because they are not the same measurments that machines now-a-days use, and I have no idea what Mr. R's settings equate to in today's terms?

But, for most of my applique work, I set that stitch length at "Fine" on Mr. R's dial.

IMG_22305.jpg

And the stitch width at about a "4"... I go by what I like the look of - so for some items I do a little less, some items I do a little more.

IMG_22316.jpg

I hope this was helpful for you? And I wish I had a better answer. :lovestruc

D~ <--- Who just completed her monthly auction bag and headed up to begin work on her custom order. WHOOT! ::yes::

As for settings, I am not sure that Mr. R's settings would help you much because they are not the same measurments that machines now-a-days use, and I have no idea what Mr. R's settings equate to in today's terms?

But, for most of my applique work, I set that stitch length at "Fine" on Mr. R's dial.

Haha - I don't have any newish machines ;) All the ones I have are older than 1980 at the least. I've been putting it on the lower part of the fine area, but sometime it seems to get hung up under the needle :confused3 I'll keep experimenting .... I haven't tried it with stabilizer, I'm sure that would make a difference as well. Thanks for your help! :thumbsup2

Help!!!!!!!!!

Airfare dropped for our alternate trip dates (aug 20-29). I've been holding out for r/t airfare of $250 each or less. It is at $316. Do I book or wait? Remember, I still need to add $150 of baggage fees.

I keep telling myself to hold out, but for the last 5 weeks, it's been steady at $1300 r/t....

What would you do?

D~

Praise be that there wasn't worse in Boston, given that the last reports I heard indicated that there were more explosive devices found and disarmed. I can't listen to the news either, not because of the senselessness but rather the redundancy and speculation by the news people. If you don't have anything new to report, just say that and stop BSing. :mad: That' why I usually read my news online.

Yeah for a full day of work in the sewing room. I need to start working hard in there: I've got a couple of promised outfits for friends' 1-2 year olds and I just got the ok to work on a doll for the oldest. I haven't done a doll in a while and I'm very excited. Even if it is just a little rag-style.

RuthIE - demonstrating my point that Ruths just do their own thing! And don't care who thinks what!!

Help!!!!!!!!!

Airfare dropped for our alternate trip dates (aug 20-29). I've been holding out for r/t airfare of $250 each or less. It is at $316. Do I book or wait? Remember, I still need to add $150 of baggage fees.

I keep telling myself to hold out, but for the last 5 weeks, it's been steady at $1300 r/t....

What would you do?

D~

Nope not touching this... Still not gambling...
Still A. CHICKEN!!! :duck:

It's a done deal... No matter what happens....

:woohoo:The girls and I are going to Florida in August. :woohoo:

I will have some major trip updating to do to this PTR, very soon.

D~

It's frightening and yet reassuring when you set it in "stone" - or in this case Airplane.

Hurray!!:banana:

Just saw this and I would of purchased for that price. I try to find airfare for around $350.

Love the colors in the sneak peek, but no ideas what it is.

Glad Ali is feeling better & able to put pressure on it.

Happy your BF & her DD are working things out.

YAY for confirming the Aug trip! Look forward to the update.

Boston is still a sad city. We drove my DD into school today, in the city, and were able to have coffee with DS while there. It is a very somber atmosphere. It is amazing the support our fine city is getting. Other cities, and countries are reaching out. Victims of 9/11 reaching out asking how they can help. There truly are heroes all around us. Our hearts are heavy as the names of victims are slowly being released. Thank you to any disboard friends that are praying.

Ruthie, I haven't checked out your newest comic relief, but will after I take a short break.

Well....I see you are a little (ahem...:mic:) impatient....JUST like me!!! :lmao: You didn't wait for very many responses before you made it a done deal....and Mo Chicken sure wasn't any help! :rotfl2: :stir:

Seriously...I am so excited for you that it's now official!!!:cool1: I can't wait to read more about your trip plans. :thumbsup2 Happy Planning!!!

I am still stalking airfare for our trip. I am starting to get really nervous that it won't come down. We just can't afford to pay $1300+ in airfare alone, and I am very frustrated about it. I have been checking twice/day for weeks and there just seems to be no sway to the prices at all. :confused3 HOpefully some deals will come out soon.

D~

Hey D~, I found your trip report. :banana:

Just wanted to drop in and say hi, and then also let you know that it looks like Southwest just dropped their flight prices from MSP to MCO today... at least they did for October when we are going.:worship: They are still over $300 for our time frame, but MUCH cheaper than Delta and Sun Country - those stinkers are above $500++ for October!!! We purchased our airfare for over $400 each on Delta as they started to creap up in March (our booked fare is now over $700 pp) - but I'm offsetting my fare with miles so we got an OK deal for the four of us. I wanted to make sure we were going absolutely, positively, set in stone. :lmao: Any who, thought you might want to check it out. I don't know why I torture myself to see if other airlines are dropping their fares... passes the time I guess. I am seriously hopefuly Delta's come down by more than $100 over what we paid, so I can rebook DH and the kiddos, but that is a long shot I am guessing. :confused3

Here's to melting snow and tons of friendly neighborhood robins! :woohoo:

Back from Florida; I have to admit I skimmed most of the week I was gone.

:dancer::dancer::dancer: for the airfare. I think you made the right decision. I've not seen it go down a lot, so I think you got a pretty reasonable fare there.

I am caught up on your ptr after being behind for over three weeks. Bummer about Allie's ankle. I hope she stays off it so it can heal quickly. Yeah for getting your trip booked. Now the excitement really kicks in. :)

Love all your recent bags. Especially the Marie bag. She is one of Casey's favorites. He black and white bag is especially beautiful. Perfect for home or WDW and the Minnie on the back is great. Love the angled pocket in the pink chevron.

V's MI skirt is awesome. Glad you were able to work together to get it done so quickly.

Cannot wait to see your finished auction bag. You are working like crazy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter