Attractions that are a waste of a Lightening Lane?

leannak

DIS Veteran
Years ago I was able to find a list of things not to waste a fast pass on. Ex., Rides that never get that long of a line or a show that gets you reserved seating but the show is never really all that booked up anyway, etc. Is there a list like that somewhere for Genie+ LL? Or can people share here which ones you don’t feel are necessary?

Years ago I was able to find a list of things not to waste a fast pass on. Ex., Rides that never get that long of a line or a show that gets you reserved seating but the show is never really all that booked up anyway, etc. Is there a list like that somewhere for Genie+ LL? Or can people share here which ones you don’t feel are necessary?
There could be a list but I'm not aware of it.

I'm not sure if it will be as easy to come up with a list for LL as crowds seem to move differently these days. It seems most every attraction has a wait when the parks are med-full.

I would recommend reading the first posts in the Everything Genie thread as they do show the LL attractions that fill first. Beyond that to me it would be comparing the LL wait to standby to determine if it's beneficial or not.

Also, depending on how a guest uses LL, the answer will differ. If I'm booking - scanning - booking - scanning then I'll take what's a quick LL return time. If I'm stacking for later I'll look for the more popular attractions.

Since a LL can only be booked once per day/attraction, it functions differently from FP where a guest could book the same attraction multiple times.

Hope that's even a little bit helpful.

Outside of strategizing to get the headliners of course, my philosophy is that once I bit the bullet and paid for Genie+, I will try to get as many LL as possible. Star Tours is only a 10 minute wait? You bet we’ll use LL. Muppet Vision? Why not. If it’s available with an immediate return time, and we’ve covered the headliners, you bet those other LL won’t go to waste.

Now ILL are a bit different. I will not pay $20+ a person to ride ROTR or Tron. But that’s just my personal preference.

A LL not used is a wasted LL.

Last edited:
Soarin in the first 20-30 minutes of the park day. It takes a bit of time for the standby line to build. Plus you're going to have a harder time booking the rest of the Epcot headliners if you use your first LL on Soarin.

I would say the real question is not which rides are not worth it to use a G+ LL on but rather, how you need to prioritize your LL selections in each park to maximize your G+ usage based on availability. So for example, if you know you want to ride PP at MK, don't wait until your third or fourth selection window to pick it since it will be gone. And if a meet/greet or ride doesn't interest you, go to the next and so on. By the time you get to 4 and 5, you're likely not going to get anymore G+ selections for the day anyway. But if you have a ride you HAVE to do that's not an in demand LL but still could have some long lines, go ahead and book it. I will add, G+ for us is not worth it for AK/Epcot since it's less rides to make it worth it but everyone sees it differently and others may feel like it's of value. We do use iLL$ for these 2 parks but for the most part, we don't think G+ is enough bang for our buck.

MK
#1 JC
#2 PP
#3 ariel meet and greet
#4 SM
DHS
#1 SDD
#2 MFSR
#3 MMRR
#4 TOT
Ep
#1 Remy
#2 TT
#3 FEA
#4 Soarin
Ak
#1 NRJ
#2 Safari
#3 Mickey meet and greet
#4 Kali/Dinosaur

At MK, I never use the LL for Mickeys Philharmagic. Frequently not needed for Under the Sea in the winter. I also skip TS as I hate the ride—too stinky and noisy.

At HS, I don’t use it for the shows as have to get there early which isn’t my MO. Although might be helpful for B&TB.

If we purchased G+, then 100% we used LL for any and every possible attraction. We got stuck behind several tour groups (on VIP tours!) that were like 20-30 people long (multiple tour guides) - they bumped us on TSMM even when we were in the Lightning Lane! Total bummer having that parade just walk in front of us (we were next!) and take the next 8-10 cars. They paid for it, it's fine - just bad luck for us. We were literally against the gate to board next. 45 seconds and we would have boarded! Oh well - we smiled and stood aside.

So - knowing that Disney prioritizes LL over standby, even if everything is completely walk-on, I will pull and use an available LL every single time since that guarantees priority boarding other than VIP tours, and mitigates the risk of large groups joining the lightning lane queue.

No chance I am dropping LL money and then standing waiting in a standby queue.

Last edited:
Yeah, I will use LL for anything too... but if we want to do Monsters Inc laugh floor, for example...doesn't everyone just go into the theater at the same time? I wonder if it's a waste to ever use a LL for that when I can only book one attraction every two hours, so there's a serious limit on how many I can do.

Yeah, I will use LL for anything too... but if we want to do Monsters Inc laugh floor, for example...doesn't everyone just go into the theater at the same time? I wonder if it's a waste to ever use a LL for that when I can only book one attraction every two hours, so there's a serious limit on how many I can do.
Monsters Inc will likely have an immediate return time. So you book it and go directly there to tap in. Since it will be your most recent LL, you will be able to make the next one immediately after you tap in. Then you book another one with an immediate/short return time, assuming it’s not too crowded and any return time is hours ahead. This strategy might not work well on very busy days.

Shows are probably not the best use as you said, as everyone gets in at the same time. Unless those lines are very long as well and you risk not making the cut off for the current show time and having to wait for the next one.

I can’t see myself using it for something like Laugh Floor as it doesn’t really gain you anything. In that case I would choose another attraction with a close return time, select that and then go to Laugh Floor while waiting for the other LL return time to open.

Outside of strategizing to get the headliners of course, my philosophy is that once I bit the bullet and paid for Genie+, I will try to get as many LL as possible. Star Tours is only a 10 minute wait? You bet we’ll use LL. Muppet Vision? Why not. If it’s available with an immediate return time, and we’ve covered the headliners, you bet those other LL won’t go to waste.

Now ILL are a bit different. I will not pay $20+ a person to ride ROTR or Tron. But that’s just my personal preference.

A LL not used is a wasted LL.
Yes
Yes
and Yes to everything in this post except for the ILLs for us.

As the poster said, and I couldn’t agree more, it’s personal preference.
I hate waiting in lines, so I’ll forfeit souvenirs to pay for ILLs. Except for ears - I need a different pair of ears for each day. I admit that it’s a guilty pleasure - LOL! Is there an ears anonymous some of us can join - LOL!

Monsters Inc will likely have an immediate return time. So you book it and go directly there to tap in. Since it will be your most recent LL, you will be able to make the next one immediately after you tap in. Then you book another one with an immediate/short return time, assuming it’s not too crowded and any return time is hours ahead. This strategy might not work well on very busy days.

Shows are probably not the best use as you said, as everyone gets in at the same time. Unless those lines are very long as well and you risk not making the cut off for the current show time and having to wait for the next one.
I definitely did this in April 2022

Is LL helpful for the Lion King at AK or doesn't make a big difference?
I grabbed a LL for LK after we used our LLs for Safair and Everest last Tuesday. The show start time was close to the time the LL was available and we just squeezed in the LL line before they closed it. The standby lane was super long and when we went in, the theatre was pretty full already. Not sure if everyone in the SB lane actually got into the show.

Outside of strategizing to get the headliners of course, my philosophy is that once I bit the bullet and paid for Genie+, I will try to get as many LL as possible.
Agree that it isn't as helpful for the shows, but we have used it if we knew we wanted to be at aa show at a certain time.

We don't do G+ and we're late park arrivers. What we get to do are:
MK: POC, Thunder Mt., Small World, Mermaid Adventure, Barnstormer, Monster Laugh Floor
HS: Indiana Jones Adventure and Star Tours
EP: WS and the Lands side, with Sorin' being a maybe
AK: Bugs Life, Dinosaur, EE, Ape and Tiger walk throughs, Bird show (if you can stand it) and possibly Safari

It would be the same list :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter