• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

As a repeat guest, Disney's going to have to work harder to get me.

If they did have a loyalty program, I don't think it HAS to be that hard to implement. You could gain points based on the amount you spend. Perhaps it's just room, perhaps any $$ you spend (dining, merchandise). Kind of like a credit card concept, only not necessarily limited to Disney Visa.

Also, I don't think it matters if someone is local or driving/flying from far away. That isn't Disney's fault. There isn't anything they can do. I wish I lived closer to Disney, but hey life isn't fair. I suppose if I wanted it that badly, I could find a way to live closer... If you live closer and can rake in more points than me, good for you.

WE have been loyal Disney folks for many years as evidenced by our many and lengthy trips but with the current prices even though we are headed to Florida we have come to the conclusion that it is better for us to spend our time and money in Clearwater where we can stay for twice the time for less money. There is lots to see in a small area, we have a favorite cheap place to stay in a good location, and we are scouting out the area for our potential home.

What I found interesting is that it is not hurting us too much to contemplate that decision.:confused3

Yes, it is true that everything is going up, everything except wages and income though. :sad2:

Slightly Goofy

The DDP had to go up. There was no way they could sustain it at the original price. I'm expecting it to go up MORE in the future. Disney's found out they can increase the price and many guests will still purchase it. Restaurant prices have gone up too - so it still seems like a deal. That can continue until they reach the point where the majority (not a few Disers here and there) will say they won't pay it.
I know everyone now expects free dining. Based on the new PIN that has quick service dining for moderates, changes to that may be coming too.

I can see why you're annoyed why you aren't getting as good a deal as you did in past years, but they give discounts to get the attendance up. When it goes up they don't offer the deep discounts anymore. When attendance goes down they offer them again. It's a cycle and the attendance cycle is up right now, so no, the discounts won't be as good. Disney doesn't do loyalty discounts (except maybe AP rates). Never did. They don't have to.

I dont get where Disneyland's strategy has failed miserably, their core demographic will ALWAYS be locals and they're not going to turn it into WDW by adding Cars Land. They're adding Cars Land because even the locals were bored stiff with California Adventure (why would Californians want to hang around a California-themed park?) If they failed at anything, it was the entire concept for that park. WDW's core demographic is completely different.

I am not sure why Disneyland is destined in your opinion to be only a local's park? That sentiment was not always the case it just vamped up a lot after 9/11. Los Angeles as a whole is a huge tourist destination, as is California as a whole. Its not just Carsland, that is one ride that is part of a one billion dollar pricetag for DCA as a whole. They are spending money in Anaheim to absolutley appeal to tourists. Anyway, I guess my point that sometimes Disney does screw up and it hurts them. DCA was built, it failed and now that concept has to be reworked at great cost and hassle to Disney. If they thought locals would keep the parks profitable enough to suit them, they found out otherwise. I think that if WDW thinks they can keep WDW as a whole running on profits they can be happy with, by only appealiing to first time and one time visitors and then offering a few pins to a lucky few, I think that will also fail miserably. Again, in this economy Disney does need to offer discounts. Yes, their parks are so above and beyond other like minded destinations but in the end, sometimes you have to enjoy a burger even though a filet would be so much better. Disney may have to bite the bullet and offer discounts that make sense just like everybody else does.

I'll be the first to admit the disboards does not represent the whole wide world of Disney guests. But I think its a good representation of Disney guests. You have people on this board from all walks of life, some who go to WDW regularly, some who do not. I have seen very few people lately who say "Disney discounts are easy to understand, easy to obtain and I love the way they do them".

I really do respect your viewpoint and I think you make a lot of very valid points. Because in the end, I'll still go and so will many others. At least when I can which is far less than I used to or want to. But if this current discount is working for them, why do they keep channging the rules, the programs and why is there still so much availablity for dates that are normally booked? Because the economy stinks and if Disney is priced too high and the discounts are not available for people to book when they need to, they won't go.

Had they offered decent AP discounts for the rest of the summer by now, you'd have people booked in those rooms and thinking of other ways in their lives to save money to offset the rising cost of gasoline. Now gas is up, discounts aren't there and people will be heading to cheaper places they can drive to or places that already have deep summer discounts in place now so they can book airfare before it sky rockets.

Disney may have logic in what they do and it may work. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

WE have been loyal Disney folks for many years as evidenced by our many and lengthy trips but with the current prices even though we are headed to Florida we have come to the conclusion that it is better for us to spend our time and money in Clearwater where we can stay for twice the time for less money. There is lots to see in a small area, we have a favorite cheap place to stay in a good location, and we are scouting out the area for our potential home.

What I found interesting is that it is not hurting us too much to contemplate that decision.:confused3

Yes, it is true that everything is going up, everything except wages and income though. :sad2
:

Slightly Goofy

Exactly. If we made now in income what we did a few years ago, well I wouldn't have been sweating bullets for a pin.

And when dh and I started looking at other options, we felt a lot less sad than we thought we would. In the end we stuck with Disney because we had friends and family we planned to join and the thought of bagging out on them ("hey come join us, hey we changed our minds") was too much to deal with so we stuck with Disney. 2012 will see us possibly going to California and visiting DL for a few days but not WDW. Never thought I'd see the day. Frankly, it will be nice to plan something else and not have to worry about what deal if any we'll get. I know the turnstiles won't rust over with tears waiting for us to come back through, but my wallet will be happy.

Here's a recent note from the guy who runs the Tikiman web site, a popular fan page for a WDW resort:

Speaking of things that are gone, affordable rooms!! I updated the room rates for all room catagories. All I can say is if we keep paying it they will keep raising it which is why we have changed our trip plans to not include Disney World this year.

So even one of the biggest WDW resort fans out there is saying "enough is enough."

In any case, my gripe isn't even the lack of discounts. It's the randomness and confusion over who "qualifies." Many cast members and frequent guests alike are frequently confused, annoyed, or outright ticked off, and everyone's spending way more time and energy than should be necessary to make plans and reservations.

It seems like they would give repeat visitors more special offers. They could also improve the annual pass deals. I got AP for Universal for way cheaper than any DW AP and Universal offers flex pay. Seemed much more doable for me.

I guess I will patiently wait for a great offer/pin.

I'm not yet emotional about it but...

We are, by pure luck, annual passholders this year. We want to go in June. That means the "kids play free" deal is not good for us as we already have tickets. I would rather not book the current GP offer that runs throught 6/14 because we want the dining plan but do not want to buy tickets as that is an unnecessary expense. So we are waiting impatiently for the passholder offers so that we can buy a room + dining package.

Dear Disney,
We would like to book a week's vacation at the deluxe level with dining to take advantage of those annual passes you gave us. We would like to give you some money. That is all.
Sincerely,
Coolpool

Why not use the 30% discount and pay OOP for food? :confused3

Maggie

Maggie

One of the reasons we like Disney is that we can pay in advance for most food by using the DDP. That's just us; pay as much as possible upfront and then forget about it: vacation time. If I use the GP offer I have to buy tickets to get the DP. If I book an AP offer I will most likely get 40% instead of 30% and I can buy the dining plan without tickets. That is why an AP discount suits us. It may be different for you.

Maggie

Hi. You don't need to buy tickets to add the dining plan if you're an AP holder. Only if you want FREE dining, so you could use the GP discount and add dining with no problem.

But, we have found the Tables in Wonderland is great, since it allows us to just buy what we want and get a discount on everything, including that frosty alcoholic beverage that we enjoy at dinner.

You just answered one of my questions. I'm thinking about an annual pass for the TIW card access and was discouraged because I thought I had to buy a 2 day ticket to access dining.

We have been 12+ times and won't go without a good special offer. DW called today and viola we have the FD PIN. Looks like we will make an end of May trip and check out the new Star Tours and the Star Wars weekend. We really enjoyed FD a couple years ago. We tried out lots of new places and some of the many snacks. We missed a lot and hope to get to those in May.

I don't think disney knows what they are doing or their revenues would not be down. I don't buy stuff just because its on sale(except disney because thats the only way I can afford it). I hardly ever pay attention to sales coupons etc. I have a pretty good idea what is a fare price for any item, and what I am willing to pay. Disney deluxe rack rates are not reasonable. When we vacation in Hawaii or San diego. I don't even spend the time looking for sales. I am pretty comfortable with the hotel rates. Most nice hotels charge between 150-400 a night. Disney starts at about 500 for a standard view room when you include the tax. If you wan't a view than tack on another 100 bucks. Then you include the overpriced food and tickets. Without a deep discount I doubt many familys would stay deluxe. There is always the exception of course. I'm paying 6,700 for 9 days at the bwv. Without the 40% off pin I got it would be closer to 9,000. I'm not willing to pay 9,000 for a disney vacation. I'm also not willing to stay in a value or mod. I will just vacation elsewhere. Like a previous poster we will be spending a few nights at a Universal resort. There prices our much more in line with what I am used to paying for a resort. There in the $200- 300 range and thats without a discount.

#1-Revenues are down all over because we are in what's called a 'recession'. Disney, as a discretionary expense, is feeling the pinch like everybody else.
#2-Deluxe rates do NOT start at $500. The GF starts at right over $400 rack rate. AKL starts at $250 per nite. YOU make the choice not to stay at anything less than a deluxe. Good for you...but you don't get to order a filet mignon for a Krytal burger price. Life is all about choices and I think Disney does a fine job at providing options.

You choose where to spend your time and money. Disney is not responsible for making sure any of us can afford its accomodations/services. I read the Bill of Rights once...Disney vacations aren't listed anywhere in them. Maybe I should write the to Italian Prime Minister and have a hissy fit because I had to pay full price for EVERYTHING on my vacation this year. England, too...I think Queen Liz owes me some shillings! Everything has a price and our only say-so is whether we choose to pay it or not. From where I'm sitting today, there are plenty of people willing...including me.

We are not owed any discounts...we are grateful for them, yes, but they are not our 'right'. And Disney knows AP holders like us are coming back...why spend/lose money on us? We are lured in. It's the new customer that all businesses want.

Hi. You don't need to buy tickets to add the dining plan if you're an AP holder. Only if you want FREE dining, so you could use the GP discount and add dining with no problem.

Unfortunately not true. The only way AP holders can buy the DDP and not have to buy tickets is if we pay rack rate for the room or use an AP discount for the room. If we use any of the GP offers (kids play free, % off, or free dining) we too have to buy park tickets. For free dining a two day ticket is required, but for the other GP deals at least a one day ticket is required, even for AP holders.

The best thing we ever did was get AP's last year! We have gotten so many great room discounts that I can't even remember! We have gotten to try new resorts at great prices! And even got WL over Christmas with a discount! As a result we made 6 trips over a 12 month period!

Unfortunately not true. The only way AP holders can buy the DDP and not have to buy tickets is if we pay rack rate for the room or use an AP discount for the room. If we use any of the GP offers (kids play free, % off, or free dining) we too have to buy park tickets. For free dining a two day ticket is required, but for the other GP deals at least a one day ticket is required, even for AP holders.

Okay, sorry - so we don't have to buy tickets if we book a room with an AP discount, right? Oh, I'm SO confused????

#1-Revenues are down all over because we are in what's called a 'recession'. Disney, as a discretionary expense, is feeling the pinch like everybody else.
#2-Deluxe rates do NOT start at $500. The GF starts at right over $400 rack rate. AKL starts at $250 per nite. YOU make the choice not to stay at anything less than a deluxe. Good for you...but you don't get to order a filet mignon for a Krytal burger price. Life is all about choices and I think Disney does a fine job at providing options.

You choose where to spend your time and money. Disney is not responsible for making sure any of us can afford its accomodations/services. I read the Bill of Rights once...Disney vacations aren't listed anywhere in them. Maybe I should write the to Italian Prime Minister and have a hissy fit because I had to pay full price for EVERYTHING on my vacation this year. England, too...I think Queen Liz owes me some shillings! Everything has a price and our only say-so is whether we choose to pay it or not. From where I'm sitting today, there are plenty of people willing...including me.

We are not owed any discounts...we are grateful for them, yes, but they are not our 'right'. And Disney knows AP holders like us are coming back...why spend/lose money on us? We are lured in. It's the new customer that all businesses want.

During reg season the gf starts at 485 and the poly 440 add tax that's 500. Idont expect adiscount, but I will vacation elsewhere if I don't get one. I think disney is responsible to make it affordable if they want customers.

Okay, sorry - so we don't have to buy tickets if we book a room with an AP discount, right? Oh, I'm SO confused????

True! There are three groups who don't have to buy park tickets in order to buy the DDP. They are:
1. AP holders who either paid rack rate or used an AP discount for their room
2. People staying on DVC points
3. Some of the military deals

However if an AP holder is using any deal besides rack rate or AP discount for the room, then even we have to buy at least one day park tickets to add the DDP (two day park tickets to get free dining).

I've read this entire thread and I have to say that many of you make valid points. I agree that some of the ways that Disney hands out discounts is a bit wonky (AP holders shouldn't have to wait till after a GP discount comes out). But I have to ask, those of you with issues on how Disney does it discounting, have you voiced your opinion to Disney? I'm always telling my customers at work that if they have a problem with a product that they should always be comfortable with telling the manufacturer, because sometimes companies are clueless to issues until customers let them know. I know someone may think "I'm just one person" but if enough people complain then they have to listen.

I've read this entire thread and I have to say that many of you make valid points. I agree that some of the ways that Disney hands out discounts is a bit wonky (AP holders shouldn't have to wait till after a GP discount comes out). But I have to ask, those of you with issues on how Disney does it discounting, have you voiced your opinion to Disney? I'm always telling my customers at work that if they have a problem with a product that they should always be comfortable with telling the manufacturer, because sometimes companies are clueless to issues until customers let them know. I know someone may think "I'm just one person" but if enough people complain then they have to listen.

My problem is with the prices in general. I have been fortunate to get pins for the 2 trips I am planning. I can't even wrap my brain around around rack rate. Were staying club so I'm ok paying 400- 450 a night. I just can't imagine paying that for a standard room or paying 700+ for club. YIKES. I live in a place where hotel rates are high, but nothing like disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter