As a repeat guest, Disney's going to have to work harder to get me.

We don't travel a lot. Our main family vacation is to Disney and we occasionally take a long weekend (2-3 nights) somewhere. I just went thru my email and, in the last month, I've received offers from 4 different hotel chains for their "preferred" or "valued", customers! From Disney, who has gotten 90% of my vacation $$ over the last 10 years.....nada.

I will admit, I did get pin codes last year, but as we all know, that was totally random. It had nothing to do with being a loyal customer. I know some will say, they're already getting my money, so why should they? Well, other businesses offer customer loyalty programs! Why shouldn't they? My DH is a tough sell on off site, but we'll see. If it's up to me, I think I want to spend my $ elsewhere.

We are planning our first family trip to Disney! We will definitely stay at a value resort, as I would not pay rack rate for a deluxe. We questioned a mod, but decided it was not worth it. If anything we will rent points from a dvc member and pay minimally more than a value to stay in a deluxe! I was wondering why and how people can pay in upwards of 400-600/nt for a hotel room?! Especially when all other parts of the vacation are so expensive? Even with the 40% off room rates, it's still WAY too expensive. We are going to book with the kids stay & play free offer, but are hoping for free dining offer, or kids stay play and eat free. I would not pay full price for a Disney vacation. I think many feel that way, because there are almost always deals available, so we should feel that we shouldn't have to pay full price.

I also think that, YES, disney does know what they are doing! They keep us all wondering and hanging on, keeping our eyes open for deals. I was researching when past have been offered for mid-late October (when we would prefer to go) and generally they have not put out deals for that time until mid August! I like to plan further in advance than that. I would not decide to go spend thousands on a vacation 1000 miles from home within a 60 day time period....

Oh, and btw, I think those YES tickets are a great deal! if there is something offered for your child at the time you plan on going, and there are no other deals, it is great! Also, we were hoping for the free dining to be offered because we could still get the YES tickets and then add a 1 day ticket to our package to get the free dining...definitely the cheapest option...but will have to wait and see what is offered!!!

I didn't realize there were pins being offered randomly. I knew about bounceback offers, but since we haven't been yet, knew that was not a possibility. Definitely sounds like a lot of cat and mouse games, but we will be going this fall, and can't wait!

I think Disney marketing has lost its way. As we've enjoyed several discounted trips over the past few years, I've believed the statements that discounts would not be around forever.

I'm not entitled to a discount nor do I expect one. However I question the marketing strategy that casts customers in the role of stalkers who feel the need to call repeatedly to obtain haphazardly assigned discount.

In reality, they have cut the discounts. The free dining you can book today is not the same as the free dining 5 years ago. You are paying more and getting less (no appetizer, no tip included, quick service for values, now moderates). They have slowly chipped away at it so that people don't really notice and still want it.

I do agree that the PIN code system is ridiculous. Just offer it to everyone.

I really don't like the picky-choosiness of who gets a PIN. I hear these stories from people (on the DIS) about how they call multiple times and ask "super nicely" and the CM "finds" a PIN. I think that is messed up. I called every morning last week and I was super nice and no one "found" a PIN for me. DH and I went to Disney 2 times last year and we were contemplating going twice this year, but I've already decided we are not playing the PIN game any more for our May vacation and we'll be going on a beach vacation instead. I really think they should provide limited availability general public offers or nothing. This PIN system is BS, IMHO. I really think they are alienating a lot of their loyal fan base, which is a huge NO-NO in the marketing world. Time will tell what happens with our Dec trip - if Disney offers more PIN codes for our travel dates but we are part of the non-PIN code group, we might boycott again.

Edited to add: We could afford to go to Disney without the PIN and if I didn't know about the PIN, I probably wouldn't have an issue paying rack rate (ignorance is bliss and all), but I don't like Disney's crazy system of determining who "deserves" or "qualifies" for a PIN. Loyal/repeat customers (including AP holders) should come first.

Edited to add: We could afford to go to Disney without the PIN and if I didn't know about the PIN, I probably wouldn't have an issue paying rack rate (ignorance is bliss and all), but I don't like Disney's crazy system of determining who "deserves" or "qualifies" for a PIN. Loyal/repeat customers (including AP holders) should come first.

I definitely agree, especially the part about AP holders. In the past AP discounts always came out before the GP discounts, but since last fall it seems like AP holders are being treated like the proverbial red headed stepchildren. I've had my early May and late Sept trips booked for months under the GP code. Finally just a few days ago the AP discounts came out for late April/early May (almost at the 45 day mark:mad:). I'm still waiting for the AP discounts to come out for my late Sept trip. My AP expires in mid October and I'm seriously considering not renewing it for the first time in over six years. I go to WDW 4-5 times a year and have never received a PIN code:mad:, but read on here where others get them all the time, then complain that they don't get the exact one they want:rotfl:. Going 4-5 times a year, you'd think Disney would reward me for being a loyal customer.:mad:

I get many Diser's disappointment at not getting a pin.

We're only 2 adults and have visited at least 2xs a year since 1986. Finally,
2 years ago, I started getting the pin offers. After I saved the simulated trips on the Disney website.

I don't know if it's relevant but I think once a person receives the pin offer and goes on a trip based on
that offer, it must trigger something somewhere where these "pins" start coming. I've never gone in the summer and yet I received the latest offer for
FD. I have booked room only reservations using the offers that apply. We don't do
FD or want to go in the summer. Wish I could hand it over to someone who
wants/needs it. Sort of a "pass it forward program". Are you listening/reading
Disney marketing people?

Since I have an Annual Pass I wish WDW would announce more dates when we can get the Annual Pass room only discount. So far the only dates they announced for 2011 where we can get them is from 1/2/11-4/16/11 and it needs to be reserved by April 16, 2011. The most recent sets of dates they announced was 4/25/11-6/2/11 and that needs to be reserved by June 2, 2011. So when seeing how they announced all the dates for Free Dining in 2010 and 2011 I feel Annual Pass holders are getting the short end of the stick. Now maybe WDW feels they don't need to announce those rates as far ahead because they figure we will come back since we have an Annual Pass and with Free Dining those guests are paying rack rate and will try to fill those rooms a lot faster. However other hotel companies with loyalty point programs try to reward their repeat customers and I wish WDW would do that for those with Annual Passes. Finally if it wasn't for us not getting the 35% general public room only discount for this coming August I am not sure what we would have done. Maybe we would have used the AAA or in our case the CAA room only discount, however it's not as good since it's only between 10-20% off and since we like to stay Club Level I am betting it would have only been 10%.

You are so right! If I wasn't a disboarder, I'd never know about pins (since I have yet to receive one via email, only by calling). We have friends who are going in October, their first and likely last trip (dad is not into this but they are doing it for the kids kind of thing). They are paying full rack rate, added the DDP and they know no different. They also just don't want the hassle of worrying too much or researching but I did just say "if you get an emial from Disney Destinations, read it carefully sometimes they send out discounts you can apply to your trip". Never mentioned free dining to them. I am keeping an eye on general offers for October and if something comes up for their dates I'll let them know. But right now as far as they are concerned they got the best deal that exists and so they are just happy and excited to surprise thier kids. I sort of envy them!

But see I do know and by knowing what I do, it would be hard for me to be there at WDW, paying OOP for meals that I know other people are getting at a discount/free dining kind of thing.

Amy&Dan, I love your posts. :thumbsup2

Thank you very much! :goodvibes

I have been on a big time tangent with this pin thing, for some reason this time it got to me! Probably because I needed this discount more than ever due to dh's getting laid off last year and what that did to us emotionally and financially.

Somebody else told me I was long winded and demanding so I guess not everyone agrees with you regarding my posts!:laughing:

You are so right! If I wasn't a disboarder, I'd never know about pins (since I have yet to receive one via email, only by calling). We have friends who are going in October, their first and likely last trip (dad is not into this but they are doing it for the kids kind of thing). They are paying full rack rate, added the DDP and they know no different. They also just don't want the hassle of worrying too much or researching but I did just say "if you get an emial from Disney Destinations, read it carefully sometimes they send out discounts you can apply to your trip". Never mentioned free dining to them. I am keeping an eye on general offers for October and if something comes up for their dates I'll let them know. But right now as far as they are concerned they got the best deal that exists and so they are just happy and excited to surprise thier kids. I sort of envy them!

But see I do know and by knowing what I do, it would be hard for me to be there at WDW, paying OOP for meals that I know other people are getting at a discount/free dining kind of thing.

Don't you think then that we are part of the problem? If there were not so many Disers out there posting about how they got this or that discount, would everyone else still feel slighted? Nope. We would all be blissfully unaware.

Also, Disney knows that what they offer is pretty unique. It is not like I can say "Take your full price room and stick it, I can just go somewhere else and get something similar for less". I really can't. As you pointed out, I could just go somewhere else if a clothing store had prices I didn't like. I can't get my Disney fix anywhere else. And they know it, and they also know if I really want a trip to WDW I will probably cave and pay full price. So it just makes good business sense to not give out a lot of discounts. They know many of us will pay full price.

I personally think Disney is going to offer FD to the Gen Public. Disney is looking back on the buzz Universal has/had and my guess is come April FD will be available during early summer. I know it's discouraging but be patient Disney has never disappointed. They are a little slow but it'll happen!!!!!!

I personally think Disney is going to offer FD to the Gen Public. Disney is looking back on the buzz Universal has/had and my guess is come April FD will be available during early summer. I know it's discouraging but be patient Disney has never disappointed. They are a little slow but it'll happen!!!!!!

I agree but they need to poop or get off the pot!;)

Don't you think then that we are part of the problem? If there were not so many Disers out there posting about how they got this or that discount, would everyone else still feel slighted? Nope. We would all be blissfully unaware.

Also, Disney knows that what they offer is pretty unique. It is not like I can say "Take your full price room and stick it, I can just go somewhere else and get something similar for less". I really can't. As you pointed out, I could just go somewhere else if a clothing store had prices I didn't like. I can't get my Disney fix anywhere else. And they know it, and they also know if I really want a trip to WDW I will probably cave and pay full price. So it just makes good business sense to not give out a lot of discounts. They know many of us will pay full price.

True, but we could easily give Marriott, Holiday Inn, Ramada, Bonnett Creek, oreven Ritz Carlton or Waldorf our business!

I feel terrible for you all of you loyal customers that don't get these pin codes and discounts. That just seems wrong. I am new to all this disney stuff. Trying to plan our first trip in many years. I priced it out and was surprised by the cost. We were looking at Oct. which I didn't think would be a "crowded time" so I expected better rates. Mod. hotel prices were high, flights were crazy (although I have since found better prices) and tickets/dinning was expensive as well. Overall trip was more than I expected. Then you read about pins and discounts and general public discounts and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to their madness. All the general public discounts seem to end by 10/1. I called to ask if they expect anything to come out for after that and they have no idea. I don't want to wait to book my trip as airfare will no doubt go up the longer I wait but it just seems high. Also, the CM I spoke to said well you can book now and if a discount comes out you can call and apply it but..... I can't book it and count on a discount that just may (probably) not happen.

They should just list the discounts for the year and be done w/ it!!

Little dissapointing :(

I really don't like the picky-choosiness of who gets a PIN. I hear these stories from people (on the DIS) about how they call multiple times and ask "super nicely" and the CM "finds" a PIN. I think that is messed up. I called every morning last week and I was super nice and no one "found" a PIN for me. DH and I went to Disney 2 times last year and we were contemplating going twice this year, but I've already decided we are not playing the PIN game any more for our May vacation and we'll be going on a beach vacation instead. I really think they should provide limited availability general public offers or nothing. This PIN system is BS, IMHO. I really think they are alienating a lot of their loyal fan base, which is a huge NO-NO in the marketing world. Time will tell what happens with our Dec trip - if Disney offers more PIN codes for our travel dates but we are part of the non-PIN code group, we might boycott again..

This is exactly what angers me so much about Disney right now. How do they just "pick and choose" who gets a PIN after calling x number of times? And how come no two CMs have the same answer to any question? They have really lost their way and they need to completely revamp their system. Honestly, I was willing to take the whole PIN system as a crapshoot until this latest round came out, and people telling stories of calling 5 or 6 times until a PIN was mysteriously found, and then others calling just as many times with no luck whatsoever. Seriously, what the h**l kind of system is that???? It's a HUGE waste of everyone's time. They need to either get ALL the CMs trained in the SAME way, or just abandon this PIN system and use only public codes.

All that said, if they just charged a REASONABLE rate for their rooms this wouldn't even be an issue in the first place. $500 for rack rate "deluxe" rooms is beyond ludicrous. I would not pay that anywhere else on the planet. I would not even pay that at the Ritz, and believe me, the Ritz and similar high end hotels are WAAAAY nicer than any of the deluxes at WDW.

I know there are some who are going to keep going and pay rack rates, but the MAJORITY of people are not. Disney is going to start finding that they are losing a lot of customers to off-property hotels AND other attractions, especially as the Dining Plan prices rise and become less of a "deal" than they once were. We have already seen that with them removing the included tips from the plan, as well as price hikes. They make the DDP exclusive to on-property guests, but when there's no benefit in it, why would that be a draw?

And then there's the whole issues of treating 10 year olds as adults when paying for food and park tickets. That is nothing more than a ploy for Disney to make more money.

One day all these price hikes and customer service issues are going to catch up with them.

I booked our May trip in August. I canceled because I thought it was going to be too expensive. I called back in Nov and asked if there was any discounts for May. LO and behold I had a pin. So I booked a 1bdr at bwv(we have since changed to poly). I never received a email or snail mail pin. Were going back in Oct and I haven't recieved anymore pins. I haven't called to find out, but were getting Aps so hopefully I will be able to apply the Ap discount to are res. It sounds like I will have to wait to August or September to find out. Maybe I could cancel again and that would trigger a pin.:laughing:

and I got tempted to give in to the FD this past week, but I didn't and I did get the pincode. Actually, I'm getting bored with Disney World. I didn't think I would ever say that, but I am. I haven't been in over a year and I'm not missing it. I think I was brainwashed for a while, but I'm waking up to a new feeling about doing other vacations. It's nice to see it again, but I'm realizing there are cheaper vacations out there and for me it's more exciting to go to a new place and do a new adventure. I think I got in a comfort zone with Disney World and that spoiled me for a while. I know the ins and outs of the parks and getting the best deals with dining on the plan and the likes that it was easy to go there; I did planning for Disney World but it was easy compared to going somewhere new. Now, I'm ready to go on and do other trips.

We went to Tennesse last year for the first time (Pigeon Forge) and we are going back this year at least once. I started to feel this way last year about not going to Disney World and I still don't feel like going back; I don't miss it anymore. Anyway, I figured we were half way to Disney World while in Tennessee this year; so, why not go a little further and enjoy Disney again especially since we got the FD code. I pondered and pondered and decided against it. Williamsburg is on my list this year, too.

I think my biggest problem is I feel Disney is cheapening everything too much, but still charging high prices. The parks feel tired looking to me. Service is not as good. Upkeep is just okay. I just don't have it for Disney lately; so, I'm going to give it a rest. Maybe, when the new section is added to MK I'll feel the urge to go again. Maybe, a Disney cruise would be a better idea, now. I'm a diehard Disney World fan (over 30 trips), but I just need more value than what Disney World is giving me lately. FD is not enough anymore and that's probably our best deal; because, we don't do Deluxe resorts very often.

I think what I would like to see is a loyalty pincode which offered the best deal possible like a room discount and free dining. This would be based on the number of times you go and whether you went the year before or whatever criteria. The bounceback discount offer is something like I'm talking about, but moreso. I know it's not going to happen, but I'm beginning to feel this is what's necessary for me to go back.

Good luck to all and I hope there's a free dining offer going public for those who need it. It's just not enough to persuade me anymore.

I have the current FD offer, but I want more dates and maybe even multiple kind discount offers. As is, I won't do it.

I'm not an ingrate, but we've been there so much in past years that to repeat another trip, Disney has to give me more choices on time and offers. I'm really looking for Christmas time. I feel the Xmas season has more to offer with all the special events there. I don't tire of going at that time of year. Even Epcot's Flower and Garden Fest is not enough to intice me with the current free offer.

I'm contemplating a Williamsburg vacation instead for June. We can't afford multiple trips; so, Disney better get those later year discount offers out soon if they want our business.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Nope, not at all....at 1st i thought you were being sarcastic, then it sunk in that you were not satisfied with the deals you were offered.:confused3I guess it's all relative, but i'd be happy to get any pin code at this point.

imo you (and so many others that report receive multiple offers, not pointing a finger @ the OP!:)) have already been doused in tons of pin pixie dust. you've lost sight that many here haven't gotten any codes despite following the drill to request the DVD, save trips etc. I don't begrudge your good fortune, but i also don't understand how you can complain re the offers you do receive.

Yes, i do own DVC but allow my adult children to use my points now & again that shorts me when i want to do multiple trips that year.

I love the idea of a loyalty pin code!!
We recently cancelled our April WDW trip, and had thought about booking for August instead but have been holding off. The prices have been increasing, and the randomness of the pin codes just makes us feel that Disney really doesn't care about their loyal, repeat guests!
I realize they are first and foremost a profit-making entity and do not owe us anything, but I think it would be nice to have some sort of loyalty perk or program.
We still love Disney, but have been disappointed lately!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter