Arrive POR 7:00pm - Straight to MK or not?

Kaiya

Ears Earned
After much debate, we are still undecided about whether or not to start our PH tickets on our arrival night or not. We are leaving home in B.C. Canada at 1:00am to take a 7:15am flight out of Seattle. Arrival time at MCO is 5:30 - we will carry on our luggage so no wait time at the airport and are taking a towncar to POR. We're hoping to arrive and be checked in by around 7:00. Is this realistic? Well, if it is we were thinking of going to MK the first night (Tues Mar 29) because its open til 11:00 and we don't have MK scheduled until the Thurs evening. Should we wait until Thurs??? It'll feel strange not visiting MK the first full day there. Any suggestions.

How much sleep are you thinking you will have had? We were up at 4:00am for a 6:10am flight, and by the time we arrived in Orlando I could already tell we would need naps - and our flight was only an hour long!!! We did end up needing a long nap in the afternoon, and then went to MK that night for MVMCP. It is certainly doable, but not if you are exhausted - it's also fun to check in, relax, watch the Disney channels (love that Kryssa!) and get a fresh start the next morning.

If you're chomping at the bit, :Pinkbounc then go ahead and hit the last couple of hours at the park. But IMHO, it's not worth the effort and exhaustion it will take out of you. If I were you, I'd chill at the hotel and get settled and ready for the first full day.
I will add this...in my family it's sacrilege not to do MK on the first day! :earseek:

I'd say stay at the resort as well. You will still have to take Transportation which could be up to another 30 mins to get you to the park. Unless you just want to go very casual, pick out a spot to wait for the parade or fireworks, if they are on and that's all you plan to do.
:)

we're not planning on MK till our 4th day
not planning on MGM till our 8th day

WE did what you are planning on doing.
Arrived at airport around 7:00 P.M by the time we got to the hotel checked in ect.
We are talking around maybe 9:00 P.M at M.K.
Do you really want to waste 1 of your day tickets for maybe an hour or so.
I live in Portland OR. so the flight time is around the same.
WE were hungry and tired.
Got a quick bite at the food court showers good nights sleep.
Just to tired for the parks.

I would relax at the resort. The grounds are relaxing in walking around the river, and the pool sounds refreshing after a long flight.

I know how anxious you are, as I would be, too. If you had AP's then I'd say go for it, but if it is going to "cost" you a day on your park passes for only 4 hrs, then I'd say stay at the hotel and rest up for your first full day.

Or, maybe take the boat from POR over to DTD and have dinner at Rainforest Cafe (or Earl of Sandwich, if you want something lighter). That would avoid using a day on your tickets yet get you into the "we're on vacation!" spirit.

No---don't use up a day. Get some "magic" by having a good meal at one of the resorts (Boma, Park Fare, etc.)

I say no way. If you've never been to POR, take it all in. This resort is absolutely beautiful and a walk around the grounds that first night would be perfect. Also, the food court is very good. Unpack, eat and rest. Then hit the parks first thing in the morning. You'll love this resort!!! :flower:

Speaking from expirience, after that long flight across country from seattle to orlando, the last thing on your mind will be going to MK. I would follow the other posters advice and go to DTD, you will get a good Disney vibe that way. We are taking the direct flight from sea to mco on 3/8 and will be grabbing dinner at DTD once we get settled into our hotel ( at POR too!). This is what we did last year, and our first day in the parks was a well rested one. Have tons of fun! :sunny:

Let me just add, I had it all planned, we arrived early at our hotel, planned on heading to do the MK first thing, taking it all in.. (I think we got there around 11AM!!) well, dh had been up all night working to take off a week, etc, dd took one look at the pool and slide, and wanted IN THE POOL, dh, looked at the bed, and wanted to rest, just a moment...

so based on my past, from now on, day one, take it in, if need be, we'd ride the monorail, explore the resorts on the monorail (maybe a Chef Mickey's, maybe not, but definately watch Wishes from the POLY!! *g) but not force ourselves into the parks...

I'd stay at the resort or go to DTD. If you don't have kids, there's some fun nightlife right there at Port Orleans. Have you considered going to MK on Weds. night? I believe they are open late for resort guests.

Kaiya said:
We are leaving home in B.C. Canada at 1:00am to take a 7:15am flight out of Seattle. . . .Any suggestions.

Regardless of whether you decide to go to MK that first night or not, may I suggest that you consider driving to Seattle the evening prior to your flight and staying overnight at a hotel near the Seattle airport?

There are tons of moderately-price hotels right near the airport, eg. Fairfield, Holiday Inn Express, etc. that you should probably be able to get for a reasonable price (maybe $70-$80).

If it were me, I would rather get a full night's sleep prior to flying than start that long journey with a drive at 1.00 am. I'm used to long travel days, as we have to fly from Denmark to the U.S., but your journey sounds like a really tough one.

Susan

I agree with finding a hotel near the airport - That leaving at 1am for a 7 am flight sounds ghastly!

Also, I agree - if you had an AP, I'd say go to MK upon arrival - I know we would. But to burn a hopper/MYW day for, hmmm, I don't know..... Also, I would never be able to wait to do MK, I'd consider moving that forward in your trip plans. Even if you only go over for a few hours on your first day.....

We're going to look into a hotel near the Seattle airport for the night before and will maybe just relax at POR when we arrive or go to DTD by boat. I agree, a 13 hour day is toooo long. Can anyone tell me how long the trip is from MCO to POR? Maybe start off with a PS somewhere - How's Boatwright's?

I can't answer the question from MCO to POR, but Boatwrights is nothing special. We stayed at POR and ate a nice breakfast there. However, everytime you walk by there, there is no atomosphere. There is a little lounge next to Boatwrights that has an entertainer playing the piano on weekends. I can tell you it was standing room only and he sings songs for all ages. He has a "high energy" piano playing style. When I walked by there, he was singing songs from Mary Poppins. Definitely puts you in the vacation mood. I think his name is Bob, but I don't know his last name. He used to perform Wed - Sun at 8:30. And we went during Easter of 2004. The lounge, Boatwrights and the food court are adjacent to eachother and easy to get to.

A poster made a great suggestion in taking the boat to Downtown Disney. The boat ride is maybe 20 minutes or so, and the captain will tell you a little about the sights. Very nice and relaxing ride. I think you'll have better dining options in Downtown Disney than at Boatwrights.

I would say eat at Boatwright's (eaten there many times and think it's just fine) maybe have a relaxing swim and get to bed so you're ready to go next morning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter