• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Arrival night advice-Ep Resorts Dinner?

karly05

DIS Veteran - "I found the Snipe!"
Facts: Solo person arriving Saturday Feb 4, staying at POP. Barring delays, I should be at resort by 3 pm. I will NOT be able to enter a park that day.

Goals: Using Disney transportation, get a meal somewhere then get a cup of ice cream at Ample Hills at the Boardwalk, then take Disney transportation back to POP. My thought is to use DHS as a transfer point and eat in the Epcot Resorts Area.

Question: Where would you go in the Epcot Resorts Area for:
Dinner around 5 pm
Walk up or immediate/last-minute ADR possible
Prefer TS but NOT Signature
I'm not a picky eater, I like lots of different things.
I'm not looking for the Best Meal Ever or concerned about $ Value. "Good" is fine. I'm mostly concerned about time/logistics/availability.
I've been looking at Captain's Grille, Big River, ESPN - opinions? Is there somewhere at Swolphin I should be looking at? (Again, not Signature.)

This is the kind of planning I love. TIA for your opinions.

I would look at a last minute ADR once your feet are on the ground at Pop. Bus to DHS, boat to Boardwalk sounds like a great idea. I have not yet been to Tratoria Al Forno, but that would be my choice for table service in the Epcot area. There seem to be last minute tables pretty readily available there in the 5:00 range. I would also consider grabbing a drink at Abracadbar, then getting at sandwich at the Boardwalk Bakery and eating along the water, watching the performers. Following up with a scoop at Ample Hills would be magic! Have fun!

Like sushi?
Kimonos at Swan. IMO, VERY good value for quality, and Ample Hills is right outside the back door (5 minute walk.)
If there's a bus that goes to the Boardwalk, just walk to Swan.
If you go to DHS first, either walk, OR take the Friendship Boat to Swan.
Kimonos isn't cheap, but imo, it is very well priced for the quality. I'd expect it to cost much more considering prices around "The World."
Also, you might be able to catch some rowdy Karaoke.

Thanks for the ideas. I know I said no Signatures, but I was looking at the restaurants online again and just saw that Bluezoo opens at 5 - that is one I've wanted to try. Hmm...

I would do Trattoria al Forno on the Boardwalk or Kimonos in the Swan if you want to sit at a table. If you have been wanting to try Bluezoo, they have a wonderful bar menu that is very reasonable. Il Mulino in the Swan also has a great bar menu if you don't mind dining at the bar. Then you can just shoot right over to Ample Hills and enjoy that delicious ice cream. Have a great trip!

If you like low key, we love stopping in at Crews Cup Lounge at the YC on our first night, food is good, we've always been able to find a table, and they have a decent selection of beer and mixed drinks.

We were surprised how much we enjoyed the Captain's Grill back in August and the place was half empty, you should be able to get a table.

Kimono's is an excellent suggestion, or if you prefer more standard fare, then Il Mulino would be an excellent choice. Good food, good service, good wine list, and they also offer small plates.

Crew's Cup Lounge's food is from the same kitchen as Captain's Grille and we've always enjoyed it. You can often get into Captain's Grille without a reservation. I would choose Captain's Grille over ESPN Club - didn't think the food at ESPN was particularly good.

I've walked up to Big River. It was a bit later though around 9pm and it was half empty. Not sure if it would be busy earlier. Nothing special but decent beer and pub food.

We have had some really great meals at Captain's Grille. And it's usually pretty easy to get into. I agree with pp I'd check for ADRs once you land.

I would break up the trip a bit and take a bus to DS for dinner, then go over to the BW to walk around and digest a bit then get your ample hills. Then I'd spring for the $8 for the uber back to pop. Homecoming kitchen looks amazeballs and so do some others.

Trattoria al Forno on the Boardwalk is a really good one. We make it a point to eat there every trip the last few times. Their seasonal risotto was delicious!

I second the recommendations for Il Mulino or Kimonos. We walked into both for dinner (party of 5) on Memorial Day weekend with no wait, and the food and service was excellent at both.

I'm not a fan of the food at Big River (quite heavy for my taste, but great I guess if you just want burgers), although the atmosphere is really nice if you sit outside on the Boardwalk.

Captains Grill is my recommendation. I've never had an issue getting a same day ADR there. We've always had really great meals there.

Crews Cup is also a fun place to have some apps and a couple drinks. Nice and quiet and the truffle fries are to die.

I saw Trattoria and Homecoming mentioned here and must chime in... We loved them both! Both have delicious food

Our party was able to get a same ADR at Captain's Grill for 4 of us one afternoon last December. It was one of the best meals of our trip!

If you don't want to deal with WDW ADR's, your best bets will be Big River Grille, ESPN Club or any restaurant at Swan/Dolphin (if you are going to the "fancier" restaurants here, call them directly or use opentable. Kimono's is only walk-up and you can walk up to the Fountain as well). bluezoo is excellent and you can certainly eat there without spending a lot of money. They have a great lounge and app menu. Swan/Dolphin is also the first stop on the DHS boat or you can walk there from the DHS bus stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter