Are we all 'skinny challenged' compared to the world?

Yeah I’m not sure why anybody that doesn’t live here thinks that most fo us don’t read the labels our country and many parents have worked so hard to make visible and accessible on every product so we CAN make safe and healthy choices 🤣
Look at the subject of the thread and you'll see why it's a safe assumption that most in the US don't read the food labels.

That doesn't mean all, and if you and your family do, good for you.

But I'm going to be honest, I and my wife are both lazy. It's easier to get TV dinners or order Door Dash than it is to cook "real" food. We're trying to do better with looking at labels since my diabetes diagnosis, but still not good at it.

Neither one of us LIKES to cook, much less clean up afterwards.

But all of that is on US. Would it be "nice" if the government came out with laws about what goes in the food? Sure. But I don't feel it's up to the government to make up for our bad habits.

I've personally never viewed fruit yogurt as a healthy food choice. Of course one look at the label confirms that. Hard to believe the average person wouldn't look at that and see the same thing, but maybe I give other people too much credit.
It depends on type and how it’s eaten. It definitely can be good as part of a healthy eating plan. Chobani is my breakfast staple - often, as a pp pointed out, with fresh fruit added (blueberries), and an English muffin. Chobani is higher in protein and is available with lower sugar if that’s a need. There are also some yogurts out there that are satisfying in place of a slice of pie or cake - key lime, for instance, or with chocolate bits. That might work in the evening watching ‘telly’. They’re also handy to carry to work or school for a relatively healthy snack. I see lots of people with Chobanis, and it’s nice they seem to be sold in many quick food locations. Some do buy them or they wouldn’t actually carry them. DH keeps a big container at work. If price is a concern, Aldi’s carries Chobani-like yogurts that are delicious and cost a lot less than Chobani. I sometimes buy a case or two at a time since here, we each eat one every morning. It’s a good way to get calcium and other nutrients. I think you should try/buy some, Tippy! :laughing:

Yeah I’m not sure why anybody that doesn’t live here thinks that most fo us don’t read the labels our country and many parents have worked so hard to make visible and accessible on every product so we CAN make safe and healthy choices 🤣
Yes!

When my kids were growing up I even kept a food pyramid example on our refrigerator as a reminder about mixing it up.

If anyone remembers those, they were seemingly everywhere when we were growing up.

1702743733889.jpeg

Today it looks more like this.

1702743786268.png

Several years back Michelle Obama tried to revamp school lunches as part of healthier eating and that didn’t go too well, unfortunately. But it was a good idea, and there was an effort. Food companies have a very strong lobby, and some of our bad habits are fully ingrained now. ☹️

That is just laziness, or willful ignorance, then. We have the entirety of the world's knowledge in our pockets, use it for something meaningful instead of cat videos and meme generators.

The front of a package is just marketing, it's the back of the package with real information. That is akin to reading just the headline of a story which is designed for grabbing attention and neglecting to actually read the content that is below it.

ETA: I see some people that wait for "others" to solve their problems. Anyone waiting on the government to fix things falls in this category. I see others that take control of their own circumstances. They will generally have more success in life. My experience has been those with an internal locus of control are more successful in every aspect of life.
So obviously McDonald’s is all bad, but the perfect example of how there are only 4 ingredients in the UK fries, but 10+ in the states. How is that not the FDA or the Govt at fault?

Last edited:
When my kids were growing up I even kept a food pyramid example on our refrigerator as a reminder about mixing it up.

View attachment 818063

Several years back Michelle Obama tried to revamp school lunches as part of healthier eating and that didn’t go too well, unfortunately. But it was a good idea, and there was an effort. Food companies have a very strong lobby, and some of our bad habits are fully ingrained now. ☹️

I do agree that I think a real whole food diet is most likely the best, but these days “whole food” is so hard to find and to get.
Even many things considered “whole food” today has been altered and contains things that aren’t native to the food. i.e. pasta & breads.

Also, I’m not trying to tell anyone that we all should be on a carnivore diet, but there is definitely some amazing and fascinating results people get from it. (Weight loss and gain if needed, reversing type 2 diabetes, thyroid issues, allergies, etc)

So obviously McDonald’s is all bad, but the perfect example of how there are only 4 ingredients in the UK, but 10+ in the states. How is that not the FDA or the Govt at fault?
I think the FDA should do better, no argument there. But any individual can either wait for the government to fix it or take it on themselves. One is entirely in an individual's control and one requires a burocracy to overcome lobbying pressure. I know which one I'm choosing for my and my family's health.

I do agree that I think a real whole food diet is most likely the best, but these days “whole food” is so hard to find and to get.
Even many things considered “whole food” today has been altered and contains things that aren’t native to the food. i.e. pasta & breads.

Also, I’m not trying to tell anyone that we all should be on a carnivore diet, but there is definitely some amazing and fascinating results people get from it. (Weight loss and gain if needed, reversing type 2 diabetes, thyroid issues, allergies, etc)

I don’t think it’s really too difficult to find whole foods. As you mentioned before, sticking with the outside areas of the grocery store, that’s where we’ll find a lot of the healthier options. But it does take planning and shopping and preparing and cooking and cash flow and a place to cook, etc., and that can be hard for some people, and even families who are on the go. As Sam just mentioned, it is often a lot easier to order out than to have to do all those other things. I’ve had patients I’m counseling on low sodium diet who‘ve told me they’re a single construction worker who eats at McD’s three times a day! I mean, how do you get around that, really?

I do feel like there is a movement, though, where people are trying to cook more at home, if not for health reasons, for cost. (Hey, we’ll take it!) Like with the IG cooking videos I mentioned earlier. I really enjoy the video format for that because it helps me visualize what and how I want to cook. We cook here at least several nights a week. This dish wouldn’t work for you because there are carbs, but the other night we made an easy Greek Lemon Chicken which had healthy, whole ingredients and was really delicious. We did roasted potatoes and green beans with garlic and cranberries to go with it. We’re going to make it more often. We first saw it on a video but didn’t like their version, so we tweaked it and liked it a lot better the next time. If anyone wants directions, I’m happy to share.

1702746283631.jpeg

Lack of education is a significant factor. Children need to be taught healthy lifestyles from the beginning. One of my biggest fears when becoming a mom was having kids who were picky eaters. I don’t like cooking or meal prepping or planning and I was determined not to have chicken finger Mac and cheese kids. I also have a lifelong history of ED, body dysmorphia, and my relationship with food is deeply troubling. I worked with my therapist and a nutritionist to reprogram my brain and relationship with food.
The best thing I ever did was sign up for a meal kit delivery service and it changed our lives. Less food waste, home delivery, and zero planning. I just had to choose my meals ahead of time. We still eat junk food but my kids know it’s once in a while or special occasion food. I don’t buy chips and I hide my candy stash. My kids love veggies and are always down to try new things, just ask my kid who loved fois gras at age 5. My kids don’t eat off kids menus and we always have salads or veggies at the first course. It’s committing to a lifestyle and education.

So obviously McDonald’s is all bad, but the perfect example of how there are only 4 ingredients in the UK, but 10+ in the states. How is that not the FDA or the Govt at fault?
Because they are at least #3 in line....
#1 McDonald's. Why do they not make their food the same in the US vs the UK? I guarantee it comes down to money. Either its cheaper to make the food in the US or their studies have shown it sells better. Either way, they're choosing profits over the health of their customers.
#2 Customers (us). We are responsible for what we choose to put in our bodies. If people decided to not go to McDonald's until they made changes, those changes would be made really quick.

Now, I agree government can help, but not that they're at fault when they dont.

It looks like McDonald’s themselves address the fries issue:

Why are your ingredients for McDonald’s fries different in the U.S. from those in the U.K.?

March 04, 2021
Every country has a way of doing things a little differently, so there are a few reasons that can influence why our ingredients vary here at home. These can include customer preferences, local regulations and guidelines, and supply chain availability. While the ingredients we use in our fries in the U.S. may differ from those served across the pond, taste and safety are never compromised.[/i]

Looking around the ‘net, looks like there are plenty of other answers. (I do remember when McD’s changed their oil.)

Originally American McDonalds used beef tallow as part of the fry oil and that added a delicious flavor to the fries. Because of misguided health concerns they got rid of the tallow and people didn't like the fries as much. So now they are trying to make an oil blend that comes closer to the old flavor.

This article compares US and UK McDonald’s food.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...K-menu-compares-Americas-items-calorific.html

Actually, I think one of the comments in the article sums it up nicely:

azreal8888, Sydney, Australia

Both crap. One is less so. :rotfl2:

I think we need a balance between personal responsibility and government regulation. Without the regulations, it gets harder and harder to find cleaner options because the companies trying to do that can't compete with the mass-volume cheap stuff. I know it's best to make things at home, but sometimes I really need something a little easier, more portable, etc. and it would be nice if all those choices weren't crammed with unnecessary dyes, etc.

Yes!

If anyone remembers those, they were seemingly everywhere when we were growing up.

View attachment 818062

View attachment 818063

I must be older, because food pyramids weren't a thing until maybe high school.

Yes!

View attachment 818062

View attachment 818063

👍But also….within our labels are ingredients which now also highlights common allergens. It’s not just about portions, salt, calories, sugar, fiber etc. We are reading more labels today than our country even has been in the past, because we have fought hard to get truth in labeling on our products to make it easier to make choices.

The Obama food initiative unfortunately failed because it’s too late to introduce better choices at 5 years of age IMO. Easy, accessible food choices are already given and preferred long before they hit public school. During that period only one of my children ate school lunch because he hates “kid” foods 🤣. He thought it was great, there were no hot food lines because everybody else hated it so he got lunch really quick every day and he though the food was fantastic 🤣

I don’t think it’s really too difficult to find whole foods. As you mentioned before, sticking with the outside areas of the grocery store, that’s where we’ll find a lot of the healthier options. But it does take planning and shopping and preparing and cooking and cash flow and a place to cook, etc., and that can be hard for some people, and even families who are on the go. As Sam just mentioned, it is often a lot easier to order out than to have to do all those other things. I’ve had patients I’m counseling on low sodium diet who‘ve told me they’re a single construction worker who eats at McD’s three times a day! I mean, how do you get around that, really?

I do feel like there is a movement, though, where people are trying to cook more at home, if not for health reasons, for cost. (Hey, we’ll take it!) Like with the IG cooking videos I mentioned earlier. I really enjoy the video format for that because it helps me visualize what and how I want to cook. We cook here at least several nights a week. This dish wouldn’t work for you because there are carbs, but the other night we made an easy Greek Lemon Chicken which had healthy, whole ingredients and was really delicious. We did roasted potatoes and green beans with garlic and cranberries to go with it. We’re going to make it more often. We first saw it on a video but didn’t like their version, so we tweaked it and liked it a lot better the next time. If anyone wants directions, I’m happy to share.
Mostly staying around the outside at the grocery store is the best we can do, but unfortunately most people don't realize that, or understand why, or what the difference is fresh vs package vs can, etc.

The construction worker needs to stop at the grocery store instead of McDonalds is the first step... and get anything because anything is better. lol

Because they are at least #3 in line....
#1 McDonald's. Why do they not make their food the same in the US vs the UK? I guarantee it comes down to money. Either its cheaper to make the food in the US or their studies have shown it sells better. Either way, they're choosing profits over the health of their customers.
#2 Customers (us). We are responsible for what we choose to put in our bodies. If people decided to not go to McDonald's until they made changes, those changes would be made really quick.

Now, I agree government can help, but not that they're at fault when they don't.
The Gov't is at fault because they don't limit or regulate, so corporations ALWAYS choose the more profitable route, & therefor the healthier options can't survive, unless everyone knew the difference, or knew that voting with their money makes a difference, most don't have a clue. (the main reason small business is so hard)

I think we need a balance between personal responsibility and government regulation. Without the regulations, it gets harder and harder to find cleaner options because the companies trying to do that can't compete with the mass-volume cheap stuff. I know it's best to make things at home, but sometimes I really need something a little easier, more portable, etc. and it would be nice if all those choices weren't crammed with unnecessary dyes, etc.
Exactly, Gov't can't hold everyone's hand, & can't force people to eat better, but if they force companies to be better for the good of the community then everybody wins... except the stock holders. *gasp* ;)

View attachment 818089

Thinking back, The Swanson TV Dinner did us in :rotfl2:The introduction and then need for convenience foods is the bulk of the issue. Thats where a lot of our chemicals and bad calories come from. Clean healthy cooking with non processed items is something that went by the wayside when convince foods came out and then families changed from 1 working parent to 2 working parents and quick and easy food became the standard.

i made a beautiful stir fry last night with beef strips, onions, broccoli and scallions over rice last night. Mixed my own seasonings up too :) worst ingredients likely the soy sauce and brown sugar I added 👍🤣. I made a string bean salad for us to have for lunch today. It came out so good yesterday. Can’t wait to taste it today. Thats just boiled beans, salt, pepper, fresh garlic oil and vinegar with shaved red onions. Maybe you should start a healthy quick and easy recipe thread?

Thinking back, The Swanson TV Dinner did us in :rotfl2:The introduction and then need for convenience foods is the bulk of the issue. Thats where a lot of our chemicals and bad calories come from. Clean healthy cooking with non processed items is something that went by the wayside when convince foods came out and then families changed from 1 working parent to 2 working parents and quick and easy food became the standard.

i made a beautiful stir fry last night with beef strips, onions, broccoli and scallions over rice last night. Mixed my own seasonings up too :) worst ingredients likely the soy sauce and brown sugar I added 👍🤣. I made a string bean salad for us to have for lunch today. It came out so good yesterday. Can’t wait to taste it today. Thats just boiled beans, salt, pepper, fresh garlic oil and vinegar with shaved red onions. Maybe you should start a healthy quick and easy recipe thread?
That’s actually an interesting point. Americans tend to work more hours in a week than Europeans. And a lot of the working poor here work 2 or more jobs a day to make ends meet. There are only so many hours in a day so ppl have to save time somewhere.

My kids love veggies and are always down to try new things, just ask my kid who loved fois gras at age 5. My kids don’t eat off kids menus and we always have salads or veggies at the first course. It’s committing to a lifestyle and education.
“Try having that attitude when you can’t get a kid who’s melting down to eat anything.”

That’s what I’m told when I opine that it’s all about what kids are exposed to, and parents’ commitment to teaching. Infants in the South Pacific are given some fish oil in their baby formulae, because if you won’t eat fish in the South Pacific you ain’t eatin’.

If we kids ever got finicky, my dad would say, “OK, don’t eat. You’ll eat when you’re hungry.” We ate. And we mostly will eat (and seek out) anything to this day.

That sounds really good! And I like that idea, too.

I’ll tell you what - I’ll post my lemon Greek chicken instructions if you post your stir fry?

Maybe we can get something going. Maybe you should start it since it’s your (great) idea?
That’s actually an interesting point. Americans tend to work more hours in a week than Europeans. And a lot of the working poor here work 2 or more jobs a day to make ends meet. There are only so many hours in a day so ppl have to save time somewhere.
And many Europeans have a nice break in the middle of the day, close to home.

Many of us here are an hour or so from home (by car) and have no break during the middle of the day. We leave when it’s dark out and sometimes get home when it‘s dark again. Very little time in the evening to get a lot done.

Lifestyles can be different.
“Try having that attitude when you can’t get a kid who’s melting down to eat anything.”

That’s what I’m told when I opine that it’s all about what kids are exposed to, and parents’ commitment to teaching. Infants in the South Pacific are given some fish oil in their baby formulae, because if you won’t eat fish in the South Pacific you ain’t eatin’.

If we kids ever got finicky, my dad would say, “OK, don’t eat. You’ll eat when you’re hungry.” We ate. And we mostly will eat (and seek out) anything to this day.
My Dad said the same thing.

One of the best bits of advice our pediatrician ever gave us was to not make separate meals for our kids. “They eat what you eat”. It worked for us.

Kids eat what they’re exposed to, plain and simple. Not that they’ll eat and love every single item the first time it’s offered, but it’s how their general preferences are formed. If they’re fed a diet heavy in fats, sugar, vegetables, meats, bland foods, spices, etc., that’s what they’re going to like. Kids (or anyone really) are picky when they have the luxury of choice. Imagine a kid in some rural African village saying “meh, I don’t like goat meat” and choosing to starve because no one will bring them chicken nuggets. :laughing: Unlikely to happen.

Last week I heard this story from a mother who volunteered in my son’s classroom. They were doing a science lesson involving lima beans. The teacher asked the class, “Does anybody like lima beans?” All the kids started with “Ewww, yuck!” and my son raised his hand and said “I love lima beans.” Lol. I replied that being vegan, my kids didn’t have the choice to not eat their vegetables, or they wouldn’t have anything to eat at all!

I once read that we need up to thirty exposures to a new food before we develop a taste for it, so that’s what I tell my kids. You don’t have to like it, you don’t have to finish it, you just have to try one bite of it tonight… and the next 29 times we serve it. :rotfl:

I have a personal, unfounded, based-on-nothing theory that formula and store-bought baby foods are working against us when it comes to getting kids to develop a varied palate. Nursing babies get flavors in the breastmilk from foods the mother eats, so they’re being exposed to different tastes with each meal, from birth. Formula-fed babies are getting the same taste over and over for however long they’re on formula. Babies who transition to eating solids off their parents’ plates are being exposed to a wider variety of flavors than babies who are transitioned to premade baby foods, which generally seem to be limited to a dozen or so flavors. I think the limited flavor exposure probably contributes to pickiness in the toddler years, whereas a child who has had exposure to a greater range of flavors as a baby will probably be more willing to accept those foods as they get older.

(To head off possible controversy: Yes, formula is a healthy, wonderful, and sometimes necessary choice for babies. I’m not criticizing that choice, my own children have been fed formula. And yes, I know there are certain behavioral and medical issues that contribute to food pickiness in children; that’s not the kind of pickiness I’m referring to in my post.)

One of the best bits of advice our pediatrician ever gave us was to not make separate meals for our kids. “They eat what you eat”. It worked for us.
... and my pedestrian told me not to get into food fights with my DD24 who was a vegetarian from birth even though my DH and I are carnivores. I tried to get her to eat meat for a couple of years but failed, so I began to make meals that I could add meat to for us or even separate meals. It really wasn't a big deal. My DD is still a vegetarian, active, fit and slim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter