Are parents having their kids social distance in your area?

Well, I feel I've been pretty vocal about loosening restrictions in a careful manner, but also feeling that the goalposts have changed from what they told us in the beginning. I do not want to have that conversation again though. ;)
Well sure loosening restrictions yes. I know you were upset about the extension for a month I felt that disappointment coming across the internet and I would be too absolutely.

I was more just talking about reporting people vs now not based on your past thread from what I remembered of it. I think people were at the opinion you are now back then in your thread is all (we don't need to go back and forth just disclosing where my confusion had initially set in).

I completely get where you're coming from, I have shared that sentiment for good while honestly, I even mentioned it in another thread regarding extensions so no disagreement there.
I will say one of the scariest things I'm finding about this whole thing is that if someone disagrees, even in the slightest, with the very conservative course that some states, etc. have chosen to take or if you are worried about your job/the economy - you are now painted as right-wing, MAGA supporter.
*sigh* I know I feel the same :(

Even my husband has experienced it on news articles he's commented on and while he wasn't caught off guard by it it certainly frustrated him and it does to me too.

Nope. Our neighbors let their 17 year old son spend the night at a friend's house on Saturday night.

edited only because you changed your post after I quoted - I did a 180? Well, did I do a 180 or did my government do a 180 from what they originally told us was the goal? Because we met that original goal and hospitals never came close to being overwhelmed.
Yet we are still ordered to stay at home until end of June.
Sorry just saw this. Yes I feel ya. I think I touched on that in my comment to you even though I didn't know you edited your comment lol. We are of the same opinion don't worry :)

Sigh.... this disease does not just attack the elderly. Here are our stats:
View attachment 492769
There's cases and then there's deaths. You're right though it does not just attack the elderly.

The virus hits virtually everyone (though young children and early teens are getting significantly spared in though they may comprise of asymptomatic people thus don't get tested as frequently.

Death-wise it typically does hit the older individuals at a higher rate. Often that's just because the immune system is weaker though the virus has been surprising just about everyone in that it hasn't hit the equally vunerable young children in that same way. Long-term care facilities have the same problem as other areas in that it's people living in very close quarters.

-----------------------------------------------------
My county has 45 deaths-33 have come from long-term care facilities (or just over 73%)

Here's the distribution of my county:

My state has had 136 deaths.

Here is the distribution of my state:

Nearly half of the deaths are from the 85+ age group and just over 70% are from those at least aged 75 and up. Keep in mind long-term care facilities for a bulk of that number.

It's a bit hard to compare tit for tat because the age groups are slightly different from my county and the state but the trend is still the same.

My county has 503 for confirmed cases (tested patients):

My state has 5,245 confirmed cases:

Sigh.... this disease does not just attack the elderly. Here are our stats:
View attachment 492769
The reason why this shows any age group is because this virus does not discriminate. You can test positive at any age. It tends to be asymptomatic or less severe the younger your are. Going off of what the cdc has for covid related deaths 65+ accounts for about 80% of deaths.

I go for a neighborhood walk every day and I’m really impressed by my area. All the kids I see are either playing basketball/street hockey or riding their bikes with parents only. All playgrounds are closed in my city with flimsy caution tape. Easy to rip off and play in the park, butI haven’t seen anyone using the 3 big playgrounds in my area.since they closed 7 weeks ago.
I haven’t seen any kids playing together since this started.

The kids? The parents aren't social distancing. My neighbors on one side have had pool parties with friends over the last two Saturdays. These are adults at the party, not kids. Staying home is no change for them. They both work from home anyway, and they have used grocery delivery and food delivery for years. Only change for them is they can't go to the gym.
And the guy across the street and down one house was out sitting in his front yard chatting with neighbors with no distancing. And he has been a stage 4 cancer patient for 5 years and he is 69 so he is really at risk if he gets coronavirus.

I live in a state with thousands of cases,and multiple thousands of deaths....and I still see people out socializing inappropriately. Fortunately it seems most are doing what's needed to try and slow it down..... and it's those places /countries etc that have had extremely careful and strict adherence to lockdowns that have seen the best results.

I have no doubts that there are still plenty of unknowns.

Based on the current data, I believe the risk to myself and my kids to be extremely low. Will that change in the future? Perhaps. Not long ago I thought based on the current data that the risk was extremely high.

In my area the hospitals were never overwhelmed and the stay at home orders have been lifted.

By venturing out we are not breaking any rules. When required we wear a mask. I still don't make unnecessary trips.

Everyone runs their own internal risk analysis. Mine says I am good to start living life again.

You say that you had concerns initially about the health and wellbeing of your family, particularly the eldest generation. Now that you feel less concern about that you think the risk is minimal. What about the prospect of your 20 year old being an asymptomatic carrier? That may impact your own household. Even if it doesn't affect your household it may impact your friends, neighbors, extended family or your community in general.

Does your concern truly boil down to simply your household being okay and being allowed to resume normal lifestyle and everyone else can fend for themselves? That's becoming a more prevalent attitude here where I am, despite the fact our overall area is a hotspot. I won't even share the types of attitudes and comments I've heard are catching fire here. What I'm hearing from those with frontline connections here is that those who feel secure in their situation and think the virus won't touch them or that if it does they'll be able to recover at home may wind up in a world of hurt with some gnarly complications afterwards that may or may not be permanent and it's unknown how severe they could prove in the future. That information is coming from medical personnel who are treating the patients in hospitals here.

You say that you had concerns initially about the health and wellbeing of your family, particularly the eldest generation. Now that you feel less concern about that you think the risk is minimal. What about the prospect of your 20 year old being an asymptomatic carrier? That may impact your own household. Even if it doesn't affect your household it may impact your friends, neighbors, extended family or your community in general.

Does your concern truly boil down to simply your household being okay and being allowed to resume normal lifestyle and everyone else can fend for themselves? That's becoming a more prevalent attitude here where I am, despite the fact our overall area is a hotspot. I won't even share the types of attitudes and comments I've heard are catching fire here. What I'm hearing from those with frontline connections here is that those who feel secure in their situation and think the virus won't touch them or that if it does they'll be able to recover at home may wind up in a world of hurt with some gnarly complications afterwards that may or may not be permanent and it's unknown how severe they could prove in the future. That information is coming from medical personnel who are treating the patients in hospitals here.
The in laws are continuing to isolate. They live in the basement and have had no contact with us. We continue to do their shopping as needed.

We are doing exactly what the government is asking of us. My in laws are at risk and according to the state should continue to isolate, they are. The rest of us are at much less risk and can return to society using the newly established rules, we are.

Edited to add:
As far as my daughter being an asymptotic carrier, at this point I believe the risk to be minimal. Going back to the skittle bowl analogy, Even if I had a 50/50 chance of getting coronavirus by eating a skittle, I would eat a skittle. Seeing the mortality rate for my risk factors so low, I would take the chance that I would be in the 99.5% that recovers.

Last edited:
Some parents are upset about those not complying and post their frustration on facebook, then defensive parents snap back trying to justify their decisions.
How can you defend letting teens get together in a dangerous situation? If I still had teens, I'd be fine with them gathering outdoors /sitting in lawn chairs or going walking -- but I don't think you can justify letting them gather indoors.
It's frustrating here. I know everyone's situation is different and I really try not to judge, but more and more I've been seeing groups of teens and preteens walking around downtown, and I'm also seeing more adults walking together outside without protection and without social distancing.
Thought 1: When I see a group of people together, I usually don't know whether they're family /sheltering together or not. I mean, I live with my husband and college-age daughter; if you saw us together, you wouldn't know whether we live together or not.

Thought 2: As this situation drags on, I think some people are just sick of it and are saying, "Forget this". I can't defend that thought process, but I think I'm seeing it in my students online.
My 20 year old had the choice of staying at her college apartment or coming home but could not do both.
We told our daughter the same thing. We hoped she'd come home rather than stay in her college town without her roommate, without her friends -- they'd all gone home -- and she did come home. But we would not have been "okay" with her coming and going from our house; that seemed like the most dangerous option for us all.
They are finding that if the virus isn't fatal, it IS causing long term lung damage. And they are still investigating the blood clotting issue that seems to accompany younger people contracting the virus, but that has dangerous implications as well.
I think the media should talk more about this.
Seven weeks is forever? Here's the thing. You're threatening the hospital staff who are NOT staying home.
To be argumentative, seven weeks to a teen feels like forever. The last seven weeks of high school -- last weeks ever -- feels like forever to my high school seniors.
I don't think the problem is the length of self-quarantine; rather, the problem is that we don't know how long it will last. We can deal with things better when we understand the limits.

In my personal life, the person who is MOST serious about quarantine is my 26-year old RN daughter.
I love how people think social shaming is going to really change behavior. I, personally, couldn't care less what anyone thinks of me.
The point isn't about feelings; it's to make people think about their behavior /encourage them to do what's best for us as a society.
Death-wise it typically does hit the older individuals at a higher rate ... Long-term care facilities have the same problem as other areas in that it's people living in very close quarters.
Yes, nursing homes are throwing off the death-toll numbers. I'm not particularly worried about my 70-something mother, even though she's in the highest-risk group. She lives in a private home and is taking great care not to come in contact with others -- even me, and I'm pretty low risk.
If I had a relative in a nursing home, I'd be terrified -- those people live close together AND they are high-risk. The virus can go through a home like a tornado in a trailer park.

Yes, nursing homes are throwing off the death-toll numbers. I'm not particularly worried about my 70-something mother, even though she's in the highest-risk group. She lives in a private home and is taking great care not to come in contact with others -- even me, and I'm pretty low risk.
If I had a relative in a nursing home, I'd be terrified -- those people live close together AND they are high-risk. The virus can go through a home like a tornado in a trailer park.
I mentioned in March I think that my family and I are relieved (and not in a cruel heartless way) that my grandmother passed last year before all of this for multiple reasons because of how she would have dealt with it. Finding out that the long-term care facility she was in during the last few weeks of her life (she was in memory care unit but they had physical rehab unit as well) had 20+ cases and several deaths solidified that feeling. When I read that I had a bit of a cry fest for a few just thinking about it all.

Even if she was in her assisted living facility (which hasn't had a case to my knowledge yet) that she had been living in for 7+ years we wouldn't be able to visit her and we would have been stressed out for concern over her compliance of what measures would be taken there, her exposure and her overall health and inability to visit her. Yes I completely agree with you there on being very scared if one had someone there.

Edited to add:
As far as my daughter being an asymptotic carrier, at this point I believe the risk to be minimal. Going back to the skittle bowl analogy, Even if I had a 50/50 chance of getting coronavirus by eating a skittle, I would eat a skittle. Seeing the mortality rate for my risk factors so low, I would take the chance that I would be in the 99.5% that recovers.

But if she's an asymptomatic carrier you and yours are not the only one she's presenting a risk to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter