Are CVS and Walmart gonna have Halloween clearance sales after Halloween?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
Has anyone heard if CVS and Walmart will begin their Halloween clearance sales after Halloween? I am curious to know because my mother and I want to get some candy and Halloween foods after Halloween
Let me know if you find out anything?
Dodger

CVS began their clearance last week. 50% off as of Thursday, possibly more now.

My son is a manager at Walgreens and he told me last week that they had begun markdowns on decorations… Idk about the candy.

Walmart probably has also begun their markdowns already.

Gone are the days when retailers slowly marked down their merchandise after a holiday. The only time that seems to happen at Walmart is after Christmas. Retailers want to be able to put out the next seasonal batch of stuff even before the previous holiday has passed. No room for “deadwood” as it were, i.e. post holiday leftovers.

My son also said the stores are really trying to zero in on how much to stock in the first place. Their goal is to sell more than 75% of the merch by the week before the holiday, and up to 90% before they begin to mark it down. They don’t usually hit those marks, but that’s what they are aiming for. Apparently, it’s a common metric throughout most retail stores. The penultimate goal is to have nothing left to mark down— that would mean they sold it all at maximum profit… but in reality, that’s never gonna happen.

CVS began their clearance last week. 50% off as of Thursday, possibly more now.

My son is a manager at Walgreens and he told me last week that they had begun markdowns on decorations… Idk about the candy.

Walmart probably has also begun their markdowns already.

Gone are the days when retailers slowly marked down their merchandise after a holiday. The only time that seems to happen at Walmart is after Christmas. Retailers want to be able to put out the next seasonal batch of stuff even before the previous holiday has passed. No room for “deadwood” as it were, i.e. post holiday leftovers.

My son also said the stores are really trying to zero in on how much to stock in the first place. Their goal is to sell more than 75% of the merch by the week before the holiday, and up to 90% before they begin to mark it down. They don’t usually hit those marks, but that’s what they are aiming for. Apparently, it’s a common metric throughout most retail stores. The penultimate goal is to have nothing left to mark down— that would mean they sold it all at maximum profit… but in reality, that’s never gonna happen.
CNBC did a show in Walmart and their business model for ALL merchandise is to have 100% turnover in 14 days. Their agreement with most merchants is "30 days net"......in plain English, they have 30 days after a product is delivered to them by the manufacturer to pay for it. And by having merchandise sold within 14 days of it arriving, they are using the customer's money to pay for it, without having to have any capital outlay for inventory.

I was in my Walgreens about three weeks ago and they had very little halloween stuff left at that time. I would guess that it is all gone by now.

I was in Walmart this afternoon, and that one, at least, still had plenty of Halloween stuff (candy as well as costumes, decor, etc.)

Naturally, I was looking for Christmas stuff! Our recent new plans (going to Maui over Thanksgiving) cut into my Christmas plans, so I have to start wrapping soon, Also, we were away for Christmas last year, so I didn't stock up on materials on 12/26, like I normally would, so I had to pay-gasp!-full price for gift boxes.

We don't typically buy cheap candy after any holiday, except Valentine's Day. My birthday is the day after Valentine's Day, so I encourage DH to wait to buy a heart full of chocolates or whatever, until it's marked down.

Mom looked at CVS's website and she found no candy and very little Halloween merchandise but she is gonna see what Walmart has to offer in Halloween clearance sales. Is Safeway/Vons also having clearance sales on Halloween candy as well?

Everybody who sells Halloween merchandise is having it on clearance. However, stuff goes fast--day after Christmas, too. We're not interested in candy, but DD20 needs party supplies--she invited her friends to a pizza party for her dad--he'll be making individual pizzas for everyone. Not sure how this makes it a great party for her dad, but it's fun for the college kids.

My Walgreens had candy at 40% 2 days ago, good amount left still, will check back later in week if any remaining items are deeper discounted as they were already pushing them over for Christmas stuff.

My Walgreens had 50% off yesterday. Mostly candy corn left. The area was already filled Christmas candy.

Update for Saturday 11/04:

My Walmart still had costumes, costume accessories, home decor, and things like paper plates. No candy.

The CVS I went to had a very small amount of candy left, and a few other things.

Mom looked at CVS's website and she found no candy and very little Halloween merchandise but she is gonna see what Walmart has to offer in Halloween clearance sales. Is Safeway/Vons also having clearance sales on Halloween candy as well?
You’re not going to find candy marked down on line at CVS, or other stores. You’ll have to go to an actual store.

I've found that a lot of retailers don't carry the inventory of candy that they used to for Halloween.

I was in my local CVS this morning, and they had everything 75% off. There was some candy, but it was gross-looking stuff like candy corn. Plus some decorations. I didn't look too closely, I wasn't interested.

I think if you're looking for chocolate, you have to go right after the holiday, early in the morning (as soon as they open). I've been in Walmart on the day after Christmas, and the vultures were picking it clean--particularly irksome were that the gift sets (think fancy packages with Dove shampoo and body wash, that kind of thing) were NOT ringing 50% off, and there were people with carts full of them--more body wash than a family could use in a year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter