Are ADRs a necessity at lunch?

trinchick

Mouseketeer
We're visiting WDW during free dining this fall and are considering upgrading to the Dx plan. On a previous trip, we had the basic DP and really enjoyed it, but we did feel a bit tied down by our ADR schedule. However, we know that ADRs were essential for dinner, particularly during free dining.

This time, we're thinking that we'll do tons of character breakfasts for the kids, as well as a couple of 2TS dinners (HDDR and CRT; maybe a F! package at Brown Derby). Lunches can be some QS, but I was hoping to also be able to walk up to a TS restaurant (maybe something like LTT at MK) at lunchtime.

Am I wrong to assume that most people make their ADRs for dinner during free dining?

We do lunch ADRs (and we're on the DxDP) because it gives us a nice cool place to recharge and rest in the middle of the day. Of course, we go during July so it may not be quite as necessary in the fall.

Plus, for some place like CRT, where it can be hard to get an ADR, it gives you another time to possibly get in there.

I've never been during Free Dining, but I actually think it would be harder to get into places as a walk up for lunch.

I think you're underestimating the number of people who don't make ADRs. Lunch time would be the time when they walk up to restaurants in the parks expecting to get a table. I've seen people get turned away at lunch time without Free Dining being a factor. (I've also been in half empty restaurants)

The same rules probably still apply, like getting a walk up right when a restaurant opens for the day would probably be easier than arriving at noon.
If I were in your situation, I would make ADRs for lunch, but in the morning if I didn't feel like going to that particular place I would call or go to a restaurant podium to have them changed if at all possible. If there's no availability, I could still go to my ADR, but if there is I could change it.

We have been during free dining before and lunch is just as bad as dinner. There are people, like us, who prefer to do a big lunch ADR every day, instead of the big dinner. We don't take hotel breaks during the day, so our break is to have a nice big sit down lunch to recharge. Most days we do CS breakfast, TS ADR lunch, and CS dinner. We've seen lots of people turned away for lunch. You might get lucky, and we have seen some places that have availability, but it would be best to have a back up ADR and then you can always try to change if you want to do something different when you are there.

Because the options for dining at MK are so limited the chances of getting a walk up at lunch for MK during free dining are not very good. We have been several times during free dining where the signs were posted that there was no availability in any TS restaurant that day. If you want a TS lunch anywhere at MK during free dining, I would book something just in case. You can always try to see if you can change once you are there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter