• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

April 2, 2005 Magic-First DCL cruise-anyone going?

cwf1028

Big TGM fan!
My DH and two DDs (7 and 4) will be going on our first cruise with DCL. First cruise for DDs. My DH thinks I'm crazy for being so excited now. Truth is that we booked back in Oct. and I've had a hard time thinking of anything else!:Pinkbounc . Anyone else sailing with us?

We're in! We booked back in Oct. also! It'll be me, DW and DD's, 4 and 11 at the time of the cruise. None of them know it yet!

Actually, we're booked on two Magic cruises, in December 2004 and April 2005. We'll cancel one or the other based on work schedules and other factors. Right now April 2005 is more likely, but can't bring myself to cancel the 10-day Christmas cruise until I know for sure we won't be able to make it.

Whichever one we end up on will be our second cruise.

I don't get on these boards much, but do lurk from time to time.

Wow that was fast. This is actually the first time I have ever posted as well. I have lurked around myself for months. I noticed that you are from Atlanta. We live in Dacula near the Mall of Georgia. Nice the know we will not be the only one's from Georgia on the boat! Hopefully we'll get some more replys.....:wave:

We're going too! Myself, DH, DS (14) & DS(8). We booked at SPH back in October. Just can't wait! This will be our second DCL cruise on spring break. We went last year and did the Western.:boat:

cwf1028 - We'll be on the cruise with you! We also booked back in October. (Hi, Valli - thanks for telling me about this post!) It is definitely not too early to be getting excited about it! These boards are the best for getting great tips!! We took our 1st Disney cruise April 2003 and it is the best vacation we've ever taken! We met a Virginia family on these boards and by the time we met them at the Radisson the night before the cruise, we were old friends! Spent the whole cruise together and had a blast! We still keep in touch - in fact, they'll be getting off the ship the morning we get on!! It's just me, DH and DD, Tori, who will be 11 by the time we cruise. (Rachel's at UGA and doesn't vacation with Mommy & Daddy anymore!) As the months go by, we'll have more and more families joining this thread and you will find there will be many from Georgia!! Your girls will love the Disney Magic.

Laura :)

Hi! It's nice to meet everyone. I'm from the Gainesville,GA area about 20 min north of Mall of GA. I'll be traveling with my DD(12) and DS(11) (at time of sailing) and my former MIL. I will be taking my first DCL cruise in a few weeks (Wonder 5/23/04) but heard such wonderful things that I booked the 7 Day Eastern this March for April 2005. I have cruised only once before on Carnival and the kids and I had such a great time that I couldn't wait to cruise again. Now I think I'll need one every year.:wave2:

:earseek: Wow, so glad to find out we are not going to be the only folks on the boat! I've searched for a cruise meet for a few months and never found my date and just got brave and posted it. We just recently decided to surprise the girls with a trip to MK on Sat when we get off the boat. Hope I can keep the surprise, it's not one of the things I do best. Thanks for the replys....

Hi! This is our 4th Disney cruise - 2nd Eastern - we are from Little Egg Harbor in NJ. We enjoy cruising on the Disney Magic and are looking forward to this cruise. We are in room 6136 so if anyone has stayed here would appreciate your feedback. We are both retired and are not traveling with any kids or grandkids. We would not cruise on any line except Disney.::yes::

Greetings from WI

Okay everyone..you're mission is to help this first time cruiser out :earsgirl: I'm going solo.

I'm going on the April 2-9 cruise date too ! Just booked it two days ago. Deck 8 midship! I need all the information I can get . I'm bouncing with excitement :yo-yo:

I did notice RachelTori you said you stayed at the Radisson? Was this the Cocoa Beach one? I've been trying to find someone who has used their park and cruise deal. Haven't found anyone to let me know how it works yet.

I'd love to know any insights on the excursions too. Trying to even narrow down at this point has me pulling my hair out :crazy: Too many things I want to see and do ..and hoping I don't have to deal with sea sickness. (will come equiped)! Waiting for my Passporter to arrive so I can start preparing myself.

Take pity on me and give me some pointers please :sunny:

Otherwise see you folks in the Sunny Caribbean
pirate:

Stacey

anlashokna - Welcome to the Disboards. I'm going on my first Disney cruise in a few days - doing the Wonder 4 day on 5/23/04 with my 2 kids. I don't know anything about the Radisson package but you may want to be aware that Port Canaveral is about an hour away from Orlando if you are doing the parks also.

The one time I cruised before (during October) - I only felt the ship and slight seasick on the first night - it was raining and we were just getting out to sea. After I took the non-drowsy Dramamine that first night - I never felt sick again and sailing was smooth once we were out to sea. I plan to take it before I get on the ship this time and hopefully won't have any problems.

I got the new Passporter last month - you'll really enjoy it. So far I'm planning on the Butterfly Farm tour. I like how the Passport rates the different tours from people's response they've received.

Nena

It's great to see some more posts. I also am pulling my hair out planning excursions. My youngest will only be 4 and 1/2 at sail time so that limits what we are able to do. I think I've decided on the Butterfly Farm and Coral World based on the girls interests. Would love to go snorkling with DH alone, but I am one of those over protective parents who could not imagine leaving the kids on the boat. I'm sure they would be fine, but I would not enjoy it so we will just have to go again in a few years when the kids can snorkle with us! We are in a Cat 10 on Deck2. I'm not sure where we are going to stay the night before, but we have decided to park at the port as we are planning to hit MK the day we get off and want to be able to go right for the car and head out. If this is your first cruise (it is mine) I would recommend the new DVD that Disney has put out. It really goes into more detail than the original VHS....Can't wait!!!:hyper:

On our first cruise we flew in very late and stayed near the airport. Got a great deal through Priceline.

This time we are planning a couple of days of US/IOA prior to the cruise (I just HAVE to ride the new Mummy ride! :hyper: )

The Passporter is a wonderful resource for planning and general information. I'm sure I'll be digging mine out again soon!

Actually I'm driving straight to the Cocoa Beach. I do have a reservation at the Hampton (10 miles out). Radisson has a deal where you stay a night and you can leave your car there for the duration of your cruise, take their shuttle. Just really want to know how secure this would be. Will probably just park at the port too.

A friend said that she was told on her first cruise to get a room midship on a lower deck. The next cruise they went on they got one on an upper deck and were less to prone to motion sickness. Does it just depend on the person?

I was looking at the beach excursions :) I'll probably come back a crispy critter. Especially after a WI winter. :cool:

What sort of shopping is there? Is it worth the attempt? I usually like to tour a place rather than shop myself.

Then of course I'm looking at the Regatta and Doubloon boats but not sure how I'll handle a big boat let alone a sailing ship..could end up booking it and not want to get near another boat after a couple days at sea.

The decisions! I just called the bookstore and my passporter hasnt even been shipped :( Think I'll just order it off the website. Got it quickly when I order the WDW version a year or so ago.

Vets..what are the meal rotations like? Can you skip the sitdowns and substitute a buffett type?

Lots of things to do on ship?

I'm glad the site is here :)

On the meals - you can skip the rotations and go to Topsiders (buffet) or there is Pluto's - which has pizza, burgers & hot dogs. We went to all of our dinners - the food is great, the servers are really entertaining, and there are lots of choices for everyone. My older DS loves steak and didn't want to eat off of the kids menu. So they let him choose whatever he wanted. By the end of the week our servers knew what everyone liked and would make suggestions based on our prior dining choices.

Don't be intimidated by the dress code. I took khaki pants for the boys and one short sleeve button down shirt for each. We pretty much wore the same thing every night. We did dress up for the formal/semi-formal nights. This next time I'm not going to go all out again. DH had a tux, I had 2 different dresses and the boys had suits. I think we'll go with shirt & tie and I'll take one nice cocktail type dress. Too much packing and worrying about "dressing" for dinner!

We were mid ship on deck 6 and had REALLY rough seas. One of the bartenders that had been on the ship since the first sailing said it was the worst ever. It was only really bad one night - and we all just took our meclazine and went to bed early. For most of the cruise you couldn't even feel the motion at all. My older DS and I get motion sick very easy but most of the time we were fine.

Believe it or not that puts me at ease about the seasickness topic :)

You guys are so helpful :teeth:

Another question thats been bugging me is can you take bottle water on with you? I rather buy a 12pack than pay 2.50 a bottle.

Also does anyone know off hand what date easter is. I just noticed I may be on a vacation for that time. Hope to spend sometime at WDW also. Waiting to see if there is money available in a few months for that excursion.

So sorry I haven't responded - I haven't been online for several days since lightning "fried" my modem! But I'm back up and running now.

The Radisson park & cruise package is a good deal. The only downside to it is that you have to schedule the shuttle. We paid to park at the port just so we could get to our car right away! But lots of people keep their cars at the hotel and I've never heard of a security problem.

As far as sea sickness, the ship is so big that you will rarely feel motion. I would recommend that you buy a box of "sea bands" (I think you can find them near the bandaids). You wear the band on your wrist and people who are prone to seasickness swear by them.

The excursions: last time, we decided to just "wing it". When we got into each port, we would find a local who would take us sight seeing, or shopping or to a beautiful beach. We had a great time and didn't spend a lot of money.

Some really good advice I found on these boards long ago was to pack for the cruise and then put back 1/2 of it! Most people will overpack - you don't need much. On the cruise you will see every style of dress you can imagine.

Yes, you can bring bottled water on the ship. Definitely cheaper that way!

You will have the vacation of a lifetime on the Magic. Don't hesitate to ask any questions - people on these boards are always willing to help! Welcome. :wave2: Laura

Overpack? Who among us would ever do that! :p

Now if I could just drop another 20 lbs I could just by new clothes! :)

Don't suppose they have a restriction to how many bags? Was actually thinking about using one of the smaller suitcases to put the bottled water in and my little travel fan (aka noise drowner). Could use it to carry souveniers in later .

B and N called last night and the passporter was in, what a difference a few hours made! :) So I'm currently thumbing through it . ::whimpers:: Need a longer cruise!

Also discovered a shopping expedition in cocoa beach may be in order to Ron Jons? Anyone been?

Speaking of modems..storm is rumbling outside so I best be off this thing!

To everyone thanks for the help :)

It's always our pleasure! Don't ever be timid about asking. The Passporter will be invaluable, but you'll still have questions. The real rule of thumb on the luggage is you have to have any suitcases you can't carry off yourself sitting outside your stateroom by 11 p.m. Friday night. Just make sure whatever you have left, you'll be able to carry off in one trip - because they won't let you back on!! As we get closer to our cruise, we'll try to plan a Dis-meet - all of us who join this thread. But that's quite a ways off yet!

Laura

One other question I've come up with.

Are you able to get into your stateroom right away when you board or is it like the resorts and you room may not be ready till a certain time?

Just came across this :)

Travel Channel

May 26, 2004 @10:00 AM EST
series :: Jet Set
episode :: Disney Cruise Line
rating :: g
description :: Discover how the Walt Disney Company creates and operates a magical cruise line experience. From the ship's galley to its Broadway-style theatre, get a behind-the-scenes look at this operation and the creative genius that put it together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter